5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

To be fair to him it did look like when he first came on he was playing as the number 9 so not surprising he didn’t get that many touches. Cavani didn’t get that many either when he was on. It is wil to think in 15 minutes of football he didn’t touch the ball. Watching him his movement was really good and he popped up in lots of little spaces so I’m now wondering if I should be lamenting the others around him that they never found him.

It does seem to be a bit of a continuing theme. If you just watch him his movement is brilliant but doesn’t seem to get given the ball by his team mates.

I did think his movement was really good the other day but not even a touch is just crazy.

I’m fairly convinced there is a player there but don’t see where he fits in our squad at all Or where he is likely to get game time. Either has to oust Rashford, Bruno or Pogba and I just don’t see that happening.
I think this line of thinking may not be wrong but just strikes me of when kagawa was taking up 'genius' positions and we just weren't on the same wavelength etc. Lingards movement here was great , players weren't picking him out, his thread wasn't people lining up to make excuses. It's up to ole, coaches , players but mostly up to Donny to improve his performances for United

Marcus

I want to see Donny take the injured Martial's place maybe on the left. We know that Martial's off the ball movement sucks and that is probably Donny's best attribute. Let's see how that goes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People still clinging onto the hope of him coming good in a different position? He's terrible everywhere, folks.
If he was available for that price why did nobody buy him?
Because clubs thought that was too much for a player in a team who had just avoided relegation in the covid era market, which it wasn't. It would've been a steal for whoever bought him. Now, they'll need to cough up a lot more and, imo, he'd still be worth it.

Marcus

Donny is the type of player who takes care of the ball. He will never give his teammate a hospital ball, but will try his best to provide a nicely weighted pass as much as possible. This is part of his training. But it also makes him come across as risk averse. He needs time to change and he will come good.

bsCallout

Donny is the type of player who takes care of the ball. He will never give his teammate a hospital ball, but will try his best to provide a nicely weighted pass as much as possible. This is part of his training. But it also makes him come across as risk averse. He needs time to change and he will come good.
Maybe that is what we want when we have Bruno on the pitch? I'd like to see then play together more, ideally both sitting a little deeper than they currently do.

Marcus

Maybe that is what we want when we have Bruno on the pitch? I'd like to see then play together more, ideally both sitting a little deeper than they currently do.
Me too! He is probably more of a Mata replacement rather than a Bruno stand-in. If the game is tight and movement in small spaces is needed. He is your guy. If you are looking to lead the counter-attack, he doesn't have the speed to be that attacker. However, he can be the one involved in the build up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Coming on as impact sub and provide Bruno backup and his versatility is the initial my thought when we signed him. Although, based on the number of games/minutes we have used him, we haven't really use him enough as that impact sub. That cameo vs Brighton was what I expected Ole to do more. VDB's biggest asset is actually when without the ball which creating space for others and finding space for himself. On the ball, doing quick link up play and flicks. Other than that, he doesn't really offer something that he will be effective to play deeper.

Granada 0:2 Man Utd

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Passed forward! Set James off down the right with it too. Has looked brighter since the international break, which is massively needed with so many of our attacking players looking on the edge of breaking down.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hopefully the summer break and pre-season will spark something, cuz there isn't much sign of life atm.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hopefully the summer break and pre-season will spark something, cuz there isn't much sign of life atm.
Honestly, at some point he should play few more minutes this season, as he has tons of energy conserved, would definitely help us at pressing, even though he lacks match rhythm.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What’s the point of this signing? I honestly can’t think of a more pointless signing we’ve ever made. I rate VDB by the way. It’s just pointless.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He couldn’t have done much less than the lads tonight? Even I’m starting to wonder about this deal now. Everyone else looks wrecked and we look shite either way. VDB is fresh... maybe use him instead of running Bruno into the ground every match! At this point it’s either a poor signing or poor management.

Camilo

Another solid 5 minutes tonight, Ole easing him in slowly. Just a kid, needs a loan to Sunderland.

city-puma

Not many minutes he played. But, at least he shows what’s needed against a man marking opponent. Crispy one touch passes and the guy marking him run to nothing :)

Bwuk

Just can't see him being here next season.

I can't see how he'd be happy with how little game time he's had. It's not worked out for either party.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So if he moves on from United will you guys be making a sentimental "dream like Donny" youtube vid, or should Ajax just try one more time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There has to be something to the fact that we're hugely struggling to move the ball around a decent press near the halfway line, and the fact that he absolutely excels at it.

Clearly can't play with Pogba and Bruno, but would still love to see him given actual minutes as an alternative to either in a proper 3. If he was played as one of the two at the base of the three, and then shifting Pogba up, for example.

This whole bringing him on for 10 minutes when everyone is knackered shows us nothing.

dal

He reminds me of players I’ve played with who are brilliant in 5 a side then get on to a big pitch and suddenly they are not as horny as they once were.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He couldn’t have done much less than the lads tonight? Even I’m starting to wonder about this deal now. Everyone else looks wrecked and we look shite either way. VDB is fresh... maybe use him instead of running Bruno into the ground every match! At this point it’s either a poor signing or poor management.
Or unfortunately both.

theklr

Wonder how many times he had made a run into the box but noone even looks at him.. its very strange the others arent instructed to do that.

Teja

I actually thought he looked good coming in from the right in that Mata role. Few neat touches under pressure to keep the ball and made some good runs as well. Two games in a row in that position?

I think Ole will give him a full 90 at RW.

TrustInOle

Wonder how many times he had made a run into the box but noone even looks at him.. its very strange the others arent instructed to do that.
I have to say, I've recently started to pick up on how good his movement in and around the box can be. Seems to just lack confidence at the minute, hopefully gets more game time in the run in and next season. Still have hope for him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Why would you assume everything a player does in a match is instructed? What manager would ever tell his players not to pass to another team mate who is making good runs? Maybe the player hasn't got the vision or awareness, or the runs aren't actually that good, or foils for other players runs.

cpresc

People complaining about Ole using the same players.. Specifically with Bruno and Rashford needing a rest BUT Rashford scored and then Bruno won the penalty and then converted it. What would have happened had they not played?

Status
Not open for further replies.