5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

I think we need to give VDS a call and see if he knows the meaning of versatility as that was his description of VDB.
I really cannot see Ole using him next season and all I can see is him being loaned out to either Spain or Italy as I cannot see an English side being interested.

Jackal981

I think we need to give VDS a call and see if he knows the meaning of versatility as that was his description of VDB.
I really cannot see Ole using him next season and all I can see is him being loaned out to either Spain or Italy as I cannot see an English side being interested.
Maybe versatile in how shit he is. CAM CM LW RW all perform like turd

Kaizane

He's not a bad footballer, he's just a bad fit for us.

He's the type of player that needs players around him that will set the tone of play and dictate a game so he can assist in keeping that rhythm. He'll come short most of the time or play off the shoulder of the opposition looking for flicks and clever lay-offs, great for possession based teams, which we are not. He'd be amazing at a team like City but for is this was a terrible signing from all parties involved, from board, to manager, to agent and player and if my suspicions are correct, I don't think Ole had anything to do with it.

Mickson

I would love to hear what Ole thought VdB would give us, what his thoughts were, and so on. To me, this is just a poor signing. Not that he's a bad player, but a bad fit and that decision seem incompetent and careless from our board.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's not a bad footballer, he's just a bad fit for us.

He's the type of player that needs players around him that will set the tone of play and dictate a game so he can assist in keeping that rhythm. He'll come short most of the time or play off the shoulder of the opposition looking for flicks and clever lay-offs, great for possession based teams, which we are not. He'd be amazing at a team like City but for is this was a terrible signing from all parties involved, from board, to manager, to agent and player and if my suspicions are correct, I don't think Ole had anything to do with it.
Yeah i think its best for all concerned if he moves on this summer so he can show his talent in a team that he fits better with and we can find somebody who will fit in to our game

The only issue with that might be that a lot of clubs are cash strapped due to covid and as such we might have to accept loaning him out somewhere with an option to buy

Plus of course finding somebody who will pick up his wages which are not insignifigant for a lot of clubs

i thought when we got him that he could play a little deeper and if Pogba was to go he could be an option for us to replace him but as it is now hes not really played that role - shows no sign of being able to get in the team ahead of bruno

shame but hopefully we can recoup our money even if we have to wait for a year - Think somewhere like dortmund would be a good fit for him ... although its easy to think of dortmunds counter attacks with sancho and haaland running into space they have a lot of possession in BL games on average

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/stats/clubs/ball-possession

i know swap deals hardly ever work but perhaps if Sancho wants to leave and its a loan with an option it might be something that could happen... probably wishful thining on my part

But obviousley if he stays i hope he does well and even if he leaves i wish him all the best but just hope he does not come back to haunt us if we come accross him in an important game... because im convinced he has the talent to be really good somewhere

Silas

who said he was worse? he did a few nice things in the first half just like VDB did.

2nd half he got tired and sat in the back 3 and barely moved an inch. The team got over ran.

It's not really suprising though is it? we played a midfield of Matic/VDB and Mata who probably have 300 minutes between them this season, it was always going to happen.

People on here expect them to be matching a hungry full strength Leicester side :lol:
What nice things did Donny do?

MattyB1986

Kagawa is a far better player though.
Yes. I said in reply to someone, Kagawa showed more and he was actually pretty decent in parts. I was more aligning the comparison to the fact, they both seem system players. I just don't think DvB will ever suit the way we play, he's showing nothing.

Been a weird signing, I watched Ajax, he was actually pretty damn good in the SS role, reminded me a bit of Muller, just the shirt might have shrunk him playing for us. Might see more next year, can't see much less can we? :lol:

Tony247

He should at least try to pass forward. Be more aggressive when we have ball. That might work.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Cleverley was much better player for us than VDB will ever be by the looks of it.

I can't believe how shite he is.
Unfortunately, I can, which is why it's even more annoying that we signed him. I, a silly fan, could see he was rubbish, and got a bit of stick on here for saying so before we signed him, but our professional scouts couldn't? Beggars belief.

I got laughed at when I suggested he'd be a bit like Fellaini in that he'd work hard, maybe pop up with a goal, but offer nothing on the ball and to our play in general, and they were right to laugh, but for the wrong reason. I was actually doing Fellaini a disservice by comparing Donny to him; not the other way around.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He should have come on. Not sure for whom though. But he would have beat the press with his quick passing and movement.

Dominos

Put him next to a DM and Bruno and we'd have our upgrade on McFred
It is baffling that we never gave him the game time in that position after that match, it's almost like the basic logical decisions are beyond our coaching staff - other examples are sticking Rashford on the right all the time where he's shit, and refusing to make a sub until late in the 2nd half when we're playing poorly.

The performance in a double pivot against Leicester didn't show much promise unfortunately. However it may be harsh to judge as it was a complete 2nd string and a dire game overall. We've left it too late to give him a run in the team in that deep midfield role so don't think we'll ever really find out if he could have shown us something.

Ultimately I suspect he's just not up to it anywhere he plays.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Unfortunately, I can, which is why it's even more annoying that we signed him. I, a silly fan, could see he was rubbish, and got a bit of stick on here for saying so before we signed him, but our professional scouts couldn't? Beggars belief.

I got laughed at when I suggested he'd be a bit like Fellaini in that he'd work hard, maybe pop up with a goal, but offer nothing on the ball and to our play in general, and they were right to laugh, but for the wrong reason. I was actually doing Fellaini a disservice by comparing Donny to him; not the other way around.
Yeah, you were totally right, I remember you saying it's a shite transfer. I haven't seen him before so I couldn't say anything, but I have my doubts about how overrated he was at Ajax considering how shite he looks for us.

Man Utd 1:1 Fulham

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Surely he must have some clause in his contract that says he must play X games this season, right? Or does anyone have a reasonable explanation why he's always coming on with 3min left to play?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Looked decent when he came on. Wish he started tbh. 5 minutes at the end of games when he's not an impact sub is ridiculous.

Bwuk

I think that’ll be the last of him we see at Old Trafford.

Sting

Surely he must have some clause in his contract that says he must play X games this season, right? Or does anyone have a reasonable explanation why he's always coming on with 3min left to play?
Why? Nobody is entitled to start a certain amount of games at least not at a club as big as United. If our club is contractually guaranteeing game time to someone like VDB before he even plays a game then we will never win a title again.

I personally think he doesn’t cut it at this level. He’s technically not that great, isn’t fast in particular nor has he showed me he is clever enough to get in positions where he can affect the game.

Maybe a loan move next season to raise his price isn’t a bad idea since I don’t see us offloading him this summer considering the amount of money we’d lose, either way we will need to cut our loses at some point.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact that he is getting played LW and Rashford being moved to CF rather than VDB playing as a central interlink between Rashford & Greenwood makes me feel like he isn’t Ole’s player.

He came on for Cavani and still Ole for some reason moved Rashford centrally whilst making VDB play out wide.

probably isn’t playing him to keep his transfer fee high as possible

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Why? Nobody is entitled to start a certain amount of games at least not at a club as big as United. If our club is contractually guaranteeing game time to someone like VDB before he even plays a game then we will never win a title again.

I personally think he doesn’t cut it at this level. He’s technically not that great, isn’t fast in particular nor has he showed me he is clever enough to get in positions where he can affect the game.

Maybe a loan move next season to raise his price isn’t a bad idea since I don’t see us offloading him this summer considering the amount of money we’d lose, either way we will need to cut our loses at some point.
It was a facetious comment since I can't for the life of me understand the reason why he gets to play 3min every other week. He's hardly subbed on to rest whoever is coming off since playing 88min or 92min doesn't matter from a fitness point of view and at the same time it can't be done to give VDB a chance to impact the game or show Ole what he's capable of either since it's barely enough time to get him on the ball once.

It would be one thing if the sub was made to slow the game down or waste time when we were leading, but it doesn't seem to matter what the score is or what kind of situation we're in, VDB gets his 3min no matter what even though everyone knows absolutely nothing comes from it.

It's just strange.

kundalini

It was a facetious comment since I can't for the life of me understand the reason why he gets to play 3min every other week. He's hardly subbed on to rest whoever is coming off since playing 88min or 92min doesn't matter from a fitness point of view and at the same time it can't be done to give VDB a chance to impact the game or show Ole what he's capable of either since it's barely enough time to get him on the ball once.

It would be one thing if the sub was made to slow the game down or waste time when we were leading, but it doesn't seem to matter what the score is or what kind of situation we're in, VDB gets his 3min no matter what even though everyone knows absolutely nothing comes from it.

It's just strange.
The answer is that he doesn't get to play 3 mins every other week. Donny has come on in the last 10 mins on 9 occasions, of which 4 fall into the category of substitutions that I don't understand (see below for more details).

Here are his substitute appearances in the PL this season: 23 mins, 1 min, 22 mins, 14 mins, 15 mins, 12 mins, 10 mins, 19 mins, 7 mins, 45 mins, 11 mins, 8 mins, 7 mins, 1 min, 3 mins

In CL: 2 mins, 11 mins, 45 mins

In EL: 5 mins, 45 mins

EFL Cup: 2 mins

21 sub appearances in total, 3 that lasted 45 mins, 2 x 20s, 7 between 10 and 19 mins, 9 late substitutions. Donny has been an unused sub in 15 PL matches and 2 EL games.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/donny-van-de-beek/leistungsdaten/spieler/288255

Those 9 late substitutions: 2-1 win away at PSG - probably a combination of time-wasting and taking off exhausted players so as to improve our chances of defending the lead. A similar situation against Brighton with the score at 2-1 yet the match finished 3-2. In the 1-2 home loss to Sheff United, Donny came on for Tuanzebe after 83 mins. In the 2-1 home win over Brighton Donny came on after 82 mins with the score at 1-1. We scored one minute later. Similar in the 3-1 home win over Burnley.

That leaves 4 slightly weird late appearances (Granada away 5 mins, Man City EFL semi-final 0-2, Leeds away and Fulham home) that I can't see an obvious reason for. It could be that the player he came on for was exhausted. Perhaps Solskjaer views van de Beek as a better finisher than the other sub options available to him.

There are quite a few United players who have more than 10 sub appearances: Matic, Greenwood, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, Cavani.

Looking at Dan James' stats, he is often an unused sub but has only made 7 sub appearances, of which 2 lasted less than 10 mins (PSG away 88 mins, Villa home 87 mins). Juan Mata has a similar pattern of often being an unused sub but only rarely getting sub appearances, though 4 out of his 7 sub appearances lasted less than 10 mins. So perhaps Donny is preferable to using Dan James or Mata in the last 10 mins.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Some good moments especially when he had good awareness and let the ball run across him to create space in the middle and won the penalty for the winner. Put his foot in as well

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thought he was really, really good today.

El Zoido

He’s a good player, been saying it all season but he’ll find his role. Expect a lot more from him next season.

Did well. At last showed some determination and grit. He was really pleased at the end as well.

bodes well. But needs this mentality in every game

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Quality performance. More of that and he has to immediately replace McTominay in the XI for me.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So easy to knock him off the ball.

I mean ok that was how we won the game, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.