5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

I've never seen a player that has had as many excuses for them as van de Beek has in his time for us. Especially with his ratio of 'good' to 'average' games.
I'm desperate for him to do well here but there's been times he's been thrown into our first XI and he's looked really average. There's a player in there but I don't think he's ever going to be a top class one, simply because he doesn't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything is simple and neat (wasn't always tonight) but nothing that stands out.

Hoof the ball

I thought he was really poor tonight. Too haphazard with his passing and was all over the place positionally in defense.

Didn’t help that he was paired with Mata but he hasn’t done himself any favours.
Almost all of his passes connected?

Paired with Mata and you're holding it against him for poor defensive positioning? :lol: Come on, man. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeiit.

Lentwood

Never going to be good enough to hold down a first-team spot for us. I'm not sure what his standout attributes are. Reminds me of Herrera in that sense. Sort of OK at everything, without being really great at anything. Also, too many backwards passes and horizontal passes tonight.

Born2Lose

Seems to spend a lot of time dicking around with the ball or passing backwards.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Never going to be good enough to hold down a first-team spot for us. I'm not sure what his standout attributes are. Reminds me of Herrera in that sense. Sort of OK at everything, without being really great at anything. Also, too many backwards passes and horizontal passes tonight.
I noticed a few but not too many. Then again RR doesn't like any!

United in sin

Gifted Young Boys the chance for their goal. Made plently of tackles and interceptions. Passing was ok.

Never understood the hype about Donny, especially in terms of central midfield. Bewildered by the idea that he should be a starter.
He performs those tasks better than McTominay does and McTominay has been a starter here under Solskjaer

R'hllor

People can slate him as much they want but in worst case, he aint worse than McT/Fred in general play.

midou

Fred and Donny would not work. Fred is best when he can chase the ball and move forward, play him with Donny and he is forced to sit where he is a lesser player. Donny can't play deep against any decent side, poor positional sense defensively and a seems to have little range to his passing.

He is just not that good, certainly not good enough to change system to accommodate.
I agree with some of that, however this implies that McTominay is good sitting deep and covering for Fred or at least better which is debatable at best. Just 1-2 games is all I ask for.

Red_toad

So reading this thread Ole was right and wrong about him? Seems he was good, average and poor depending on the perspective of the poster.
Missed the game so will have a run through after work and see how he really got on :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So reading this thread Ole was right and wrong about him? Seems he was good, average and poor depending on the perspective of the poster.
Missed the game so will have a run through after work and see how he really got on :lol:
Not as great as many say but definitely better than some think and deserves his fair shot.

Telsim

I gave the former coaching staff a lot of flak when they seemingly said he isn't cut out for a top flight club... but I'm starting to think they were right and I owe them an apology. Had a few good tackles, average overall and then that mistake...

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Mistake was poor - still not quite sure what happened there - but I thought outside of that he was fine. Not great, but you try playing with Mata as a CMF and Lingard clearly working a disappearing act for his Insta.

Diallo and Elanga were both really bad at showing for the ball too, we had countless moments where our midfielders had no one to pass to.

He deserves a chance with the actual first team. And he'll get it. Then we can see.

The United

He should just be one of the options for no 10. That's about it.

Although you might be able to play him deeper if we play on opponents half. Playing him deep will never be good enough for us in long term.

Just strange that people keep asking for it and managers keep trying it.

macko12345

Donny is not a 6 or DMC.
He should be played further up the pitch. He cant dictate the game like a propper 6, but can open up defences with clever passes further up.

Reactions: Fortitude

Siorac

That Fred would be criticised for with most agreeing he needed to be upgraded.
The main point is that it's much better than the average McTominay performance. Like against Palace: McTom had 48 touches and attempted 37 passes with a completion rate of 76%. Compare that to Donny's stats.

It's not that Donny is a fantastic player - but again, he played much better tonight than McT usually does.

Lentwood

Rangnick clearly frustrated with his part in the goal there. I am not sure why people feel DvB is going to be favoured by Rangnick, too many pointless tippy-tappy passes

E-mal

Not his best but playing in a dysfunctional team can be difficult. He needs more chances.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He was ok first half although he did a classic Fred and gifted the ball to the opposition outside of our box who then scored a peach of a goal. Second half wasn't good.

I honestly think it's a bit tricky to assess him in this game though given the state of our midfield. Mata had a good 30mins in the first half but was bad in the 2nd, while Lingard was pretty non existent throughout. The conditions were also dreadful, in particular in the 2nd half. It's a game that provides more questions than answers for him imo.

Mr PG

I bask Ole for a lot of things but not VDB. If you can't get into the team for a year...there's a reason why regardless of coach. Not done yet as he's yet to be coached for 2-3 mths then we will tell.

L1nk

I bask Ole for a lot of things but not VDB. If you can't get into the team for a year...there's a reason why regardless of coach. Not done yet as he's yet to be coached for 2-3 mths then we will tell.
Then why buy him in the first place, surely they saw him play for Ajax before electing to buy him? It was just god awful coaching and squad management from Ole, nothing more.

Sviken

Some people expect him to play like prime Paul Scholes in midfield with an old nursing home nominee Mata who gets bullied off the ball by a slight wind breeze directed at him as his partner.
He really hasn't. If McTominay made the errors he has this season, he'd have been hounded out of the club.
You gotta be kidding me with this. Fred and McTominay both make these kinds of mistakes numerous times in every match and have been called on it after every game. Fred, in particular, has taken a lot of flak, especially compared to McTominay. All right, I'll give you that at least Fred has some uses in other departments, but McTominay is generally anonymous. Even in the last game against Crystal Palace he made the least amount of passes from anyone. That's a midfielder, not a striker. Donny was an unfortunate that his mistake led to a wondergoal. Okay, fine, he did bad, but overall it was a much better performance than the standard McTominay ones. We also have to account the players Donny is playing with here. He's playing with Mata in the middle, Matic in CB and a bunch of youngters in attack. Certainly I do no see McTominay doing any better in that situation. He'd probably hide all game near the touchline out of fear someone of his teammates having the idea to pass to him.

Outside of Watford away, when has he really impressed? He had a moment against Newcastle but not done much else.

Last season it was more or less the same. He's been under utilised and so I think he deserves more opportunities but the way people go on about him versus how he's actually played are miles apart.

I have no agenda against him and I want him to do well but I have to be realistic about what I've seen these last 18 months.
I think he had a very good performance against West Ham in the Carabao, in the first game against Young Boys, couple of sub-appearances here and there and I might be missing something. Generally, he has earned a starting place over McTominay. Whether he can hold it is another matter entirely, but even his performance today was better than anything McTominay has given us this season apart from the Tottenham game where he was, shockingly, very good

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That Fred would be criticised for with most agreeing he needed to be upgraded.
Most? Did we do a poll on Fred on specifically?

If someone really thought that Fred was more of a weak link than AWB/McTominay/Maguire/DDG, I'd question if they know offside.

He was alright. Mistake aside he didn't anything of note in either direction and that about sums him up so far. Tidy player but unable to impact a game. He's giving us absolutely no reason to be starting him right now.

Sviken

If McTominay had put in that exact same performance the knives would be out.
Why are people saying this? McTominay has put these kinds of performances every game and he's not taken even the least amount of criticism for it. Fred is the one that generally gets the stick even though he is far more useful than McTominay.

arnie_ni

Rangnick clearly frustrated with his part in the goal there. I am not sure why people feel DvB is going to be favoured by Rangnick, too many pointless tippy-tappy passes
I thought he was actually criticising matic for passing it into him with a man on him instead of playing a longer ball through the lines.

If you watch it again, matic could actually pass it through to amad and start a counter attack

Last edited:

Bobski

The main point is that it's much better than the average McTominay performance. Like against Palace: McTom had 48 touches and attempted 37 passes with a completion rate of 76%. Compare that to Donny's stats.

It's not that Donny is a fantastic player - but again, he played much better tonight than McT usually does.
Against a dreadful team, and he gave a goal away, much like his hyped "good" performance against West Ham's reserves.

Donny is never going to look as aesthetically awful as McT does at times, but, especially in that position, there is little impactful in his game. Where he can be useful is as an attacking sub, making runs into the box, he has an instinct for where to be in those areas. He can't play as a creative 10, but if others around him can create he can finish and provide quick return passes to continue moves.

I just don't see Donny as a viable option in deep midfield, regardless of McT.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why are people saying this? McTominay has put these kinds of performances every game and he's not taken even the least amount of criticism for it. Fred is the one that generally gets the stick even though he is far more useful than McTominay.
VDB is usually doesn't hide from receiving the ball, I'll give him that

Siorac

If McTominay had put in that exact same performance the knives would be out.
If he ever did, he would be praised to the high heavens. When was the last time McT had 90+ touches in a game? Did it ever happen?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I really don’t see what a lot of people do with him. He must be close to 50 apps for us now and he’s played well about 3 times

LJJT

So now we can’t blame ole will the internets favourite player finally be judged correctly? He’s not good enough for us, by a long shot. He’s got some nice points about his play but there’s obvious reasons he doesn’t play

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I agree with all of you that are intelligent and in touch with modern football, nay, not just modern football but the sport in general. I can’t believe that a player brought into this wonderful club and plucked gracefully from the shackles that is Ajax after fluking their way to a Champions League semi final would be so arrogant.

I mean he’s played every game for us since that transfer and has been absolutely shite. Not only that but he has kept such fan favourites as Fred and McTominay out of the team while doing so. I know that the rest of the real intellectual football supporters know that midfield is the strongest part of our team.

Now onto tonight. I simply can’t believe that he lost us a place in the Champions League while managed by our new coach that can improve a team in 2 hours, and while playing with our strongest starting 11 in such a big game. He kept making this terrible midfield mistake of showing for the ball and trying to dictate the game. This lead him to make a mistake leading to their goal. Any proper football fan knows that midfielders should never be available for a pass.

Like you I understand football to a huge extent and know already that DVB has been given the exact platform that he needs to be able to prove himself. Also I know that his failure has moved the smartest of our supporters on from Eric Ten Haag. How can he manage United when he can’t manage to see that Donny is such a shit player.

Oh and like you I think all of our young players that play in their first proper senior match are terrible too.

I only wish to find a time when the club board is smart enough to appoint the top RedCafe posters to run the team, then we will be surely certain of glory.

I’m so grateful that the match day threads exist on Recafe and a little bird told me that Pep himself often looks there for knowledge.

You are all a bunch of knee-jerk pricks and to the guy that is asking why the crowd still sings Ole’s name then maybe go back and watch the 99 CL final. Seriously during a match this place is like an audition for who is the dumbest person that ever lived. Well done you all tied for first place.

Apparently Rome wasn't built in a day but now I realise that all they were lacking was this forum.
Late contender for football professor of the year

Siorac

Against a dreadful team, and he gave a goal away, much like his hyped "good" performance against West Ham's reserves.

Donny is never going to look as aesthetically awful as McT does at times, but, especially in that position, there is little impactful in his game. Where he can be useful is as an attacking sub, making runs into the box, he has an instinct for where to be in those areas. He can't play as a creative 10, but if others around him can create he can finish and provide quick return passes to continue moves.

I just don't see Donny as a viable option in deep midfield, regardless of McT.
But you can't say 'regardless of McT' when it's him who plays in that position and regularly has very little impact with very little involvement.

I'm all for signing top class CMs to make the problem moot but until then saying Donny isn't viable but McTominay is continues tobe baffling.

kidbob

Is 18 months still knee jerk? When does an opinion stop being knee jerk? 20 months?
How many real chances has he gotten? I mean that honestly. Tonight he played in a beyond second team. How many chances would you say he has gotten in our 'first' 11? If we were happy with our midfield then I would say he deserves what he has gotten (like Veron did), but the fact that we aren't means he deserves as many chances as Fred and McTominay have had with the first team. Do you think he has had that?

kidbob

Late contender for football professor of the year
Ahem, Sexiest protagonist virtuoso all knowing match day poster of the year.

Edit Alas I'm a fraud, the real candidates are those that now that Amad and Elanga are shit. I can only wish I had their power of football knowledge. I'm the Howe to their Benetez.

Status
Not open for further replies.