5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Presto

At some point the reality of what he is, a squad player, might hit some of the zealots. He isn't on the bench because of an agenda or conspiracy, it is because outside of the Ajax system he is rather limited.
Judging a player by 5 minutes of play here and there or playing besides Mata in a double pivot with 2nd squad :rolleyes:

Sviken

At some point the reality of what he is, a squad player, might hit some of the zealots. He isn't on the bench because of an agenda or conspiracy, it is because outside of the Ajax system he is rather limited.
He kept Rashford who was absolutely dreadful for the entire game and subbed off Sancho (our best attacking player) for Greenwood. Let's not give too much credit to the subs, shall we? Anyway, the lad better pray Ten Hag comes here. At this point he should leave. He's wasted 2 years of his career already and it really doesn't appear that that will change.

Redlyn

not gonna happen in those limited minutes.

It think he'll be gone by the end of January. Ragnick rather uses McFred even against the weakest team in the PL. McFred played well, but they never ever should be on the pitch together against a team like Norwich.
He absolutely had to play our best midfield Mcfred. And they were excellent.

Winrar

Honestly I'm kind of losing faith in him in the past month or so, his tepid performance vs YB was nothing at home to write about, either.

Only begs the question of why we even brought him in the first place other than fulfilling the board's wishes.

Sviken

Quality is the reason
That's not the reason either because Donny even in his worst game for us this season has never had the mare Bruno just had. Obviously, let's just say Bruno has credit in the bank to start, that still doesn't explain why he wasn't subbed off in the 60th minute.

frostbite

That's not the reason either because Donny even in his worst game for us this season has never had the mare Bruno just had. Obviously, let's just say Bruno has credit in the bank to start, that still doesn't explain why he wasn't subbed off in the 60th minute.
Because Bruno in his worst day can produce a moment of brilliance, while Donny has never produced a moment of brilliance, bad day or "good". Unfortunately, Donny's good day is when he was completely anonymous and did not give an assist to the opposition.

Sviken

Because Bruno in his worst day can produce a moment of brilliance, while Donny has never produced a moment of brilliance, bad day or "good". Unfortunately, Donny's good day is when he was completely anonymous and did not give an assist to the opposition.
I'd take a guy who knows how to recycle possession and keep up play any day of the week over Bruno's "moments of brilliance" that involves giving the ball away for the 50th time and having the usefulness in attack as equivalent to that of a donkey. For too long this football club has relied on that ridiculous philosophy that gets us nowhere. It's about time some standards are set. I'd take a consistent player who provides decent performances any day of the week over a player who, for every 5 crap ones, provides one absolutely brilliant one. This is simply not sustainable football and I do wonder how much patience a top manager like Guardiola would have with Bruno. Not very much, I think.

criticalanalysis

Unfortunately, in the long term this is to the detriment of the team and Bruno himself because the team is hoping/relying on this moment and Bruno is eager to provide it, whilst being on a completely different wavelength and tempo. He takes himself out of the game, reduces his ability to find those moments and then continues his poor form.

It's exactly why you need to have a different player in there and have the tactics to support a different approach. In this case it may be giving VDB time on the pitch to play more simple progressive balls and allow the likes of Sancho to dictate play knowing they will more times than not to receive a ball to feet and not an overly ambitious through ball to chase 20 yards ahead.

Bruno is also capable of this but perhaps he just needs to sit a game out or be subbed early to realise.

frostbite

I'd take a guy who knows how to recycle possession and keep up play any day of the week over Bruno's "moments of brilliance" that involves giving the ball away for the 50th time and having the usefulness in attack as equivalent to that of a donkey. For too long this football club has relied on that ridiculous philosophy that gets us nowhere. It's about time some standards are set. I'd take a consistent player who provides decent performances any day of the week over a player who, for every 5 crap ones, provides one absolutely brilliant one. This is simply not sustainable football and I do wonder how much patience a top manager like Guardiola would have with Bruno. Not very much, I think.
Donny's recycling possession is his good days. His bad days is assists to the opposition!

We had guys like that in the past: Cleverly, Kagawa, Pereira.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Donny's recycling possession is his good days. His bad days is assists to the opposition!

We had guys like that in the past: Cleverly, Kagawa, Pereira.
It's always quite funny when people have a memory that only goes back 2 matches.

Firstouch20

The thing with van de Beek is that he's a cog in a machine type player. When the machine is working at its most effective and efficient level, he can fit in seamlessly and make a bigger impact but when everything around him is disjointed and chaotic he doesn't have the individual brilliance to make it on his own like Fernandes or Pogba are capable of. He's not going to pull of moments of genuis that will force himself into the starting 11 so when he does get his opportunity he will try to play as if he's still at Ajax, looking at his team mates around him and expecting them to be on the same wavelength as him but often being left disappointed as the play continues to break down around him .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Donnie Van de Sub is like Pogba with fewer skills. Three managers in a row now can't get a tune out of him.

Andersonson

Nah, even when Bruno has an off game he is still able to produce, same about Ronaldo. They got immense quality and the opposition has to consider them, thats not the case with DvB.
He doesnt play because he isnt better or on the same level as the rest.

Him and Matic are backups. Fair and simple. For once, trust the judgement of the manager.

Slysi17

He absolutely had to play our best midfield Mcfred. And they were excellent.
What planet are you on. McTominay and Fred are both rubbish. You think we are going to challenge for trophies with those 2. Absolutely annoys the heck out of me they both play.

Mercurial

The thing with van de Beek is that he's a cog in a machine type player. When the machine is working at its most effective and efficient level, he can fit in seamlessly and make a bigger impact but when everything around him is disjointed and chaotic he doesn't have the individual brilliance to make it on his own like Fernandes or Pogba are capable of. He's not going to pull of moments of genuis that will force himself into the starting 11 so when he does get his opportunity he will try to play as if he's still at Ajax, looking at his team mates around him and expecting them to be on the same wavelength as him but often being left disappointed as the play continues to break down around him .
Pretty good assessment of his situation and one I share.

He is a mismatch to us and the way we play(ed?) with counters, not necessarily failing due to breakdown but rather a style with lack of high retention vs one favouring directness and transitions to rare attack opportunities where a lost ball is fatal. He is probably more a type of Pep, tiki-taka, totalvoetball or Barca style player and great at high shuffle speed to quick players always in position, were he to play a dud pass it would quickly be rescued and vigorously met by a friendly runner vs becoming a loss in a rare fast forward momentum you must not waste.

Would have thought RR and his German gegenpress game would have appreciated him more than he has and find him a niche role in it.

Obviously early in RR tenure but probably not happening and time to move on from a playing standpoint. Unless he miraculously increases his status very fast under RR it's time to make way for something else.

Slysi17

Pretty good assessment of his situation and one I share.

He is a mismatch to us and the way we play(ed?) with counters, not necessarily failing due to breakdown but rather a style with lack of high retention vs one favouring directness and transitions to rare attack opportunities where a lost ball is fatal. He is probably more a type of Pep, tiki-taka, totalvoetball or Barca style player and great at high shuffle speed to quick players always in position, were he to play a pass it would quickly be rescued and vigorously met by a friendly runner vs becoming a loss in a rare fast forward momentum you must not waste.

Would have thought RR and his German gegenpress game would have appreciated him more than he has and find him a niche role in it.

Obviously early in RR tenure but probably not happening and time to move on from a playing standpoint. Unless he miraculously increases his status very fast under RR it's time to make way for something else.
Ralf has to find a place for Donny though. McTominay and Fred are so average. Top four isn't guaranteed if they start all the time.

Andersonson

Ralf has to find a place for Donny though. McTominay and Fred are so average. Top four isn't guaranteed if they start all the time.
He has to find someone new. Donny isn't any better, he is just a different player. Not by any means better, if he was, he would play more.

I wholeheartedly agree that our midfield should be better, but the solution is far from Donny. This nonsense needs to stop.

Mercurial

I like Donny and wished we play more in a system he thrives in but we don't. At the same time he has to adapt and change his quick pass game given it's not the best choice if his teammates can't or aren't instructed to meet this style.

Chances are otherwise he either already is or will be permanently classed as a fully solidified untrainable, system player and not a versatile adaptable one that's needed in a team without a massive set identity. We are not Ajax. He need to pick more tools from his toolbox and retain and weigh his passes more. Perhaps when he does just that he is no longer the best option and thus why he isn't playing.

passtheball

Donnie Van de Sub is like Pogba with fewer skills. Three managers in a row now can't get a tune out of him.
OGS was a cheerleader. Carrick was an interim-interim in charge for 3 games. They barely fit the description of a manager and they are both out of jobs for good reasons.

RR is his first real manager at United and we are 3 games into his tenure. Let's wait and see what happens.

PaulRich

I think you know your days are numbered when you couldn't get a run out yesterday after the shit show Rashford and Bruno turned in - he'd have been well worth a 30-45 minute stint yesterday.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Some very weird opinions in this thread.
Ralf decided to continue playing first team like we did before, so McFred plus Bruno is the first choice.
Yesterday both McTominay and Fred played well, so van de Beek wasn't needed really.
He will get more playing time soon, simply because we need to rotate and we don't have many midfield options.

Against Brentford I'd go with Matic sitting, with Fred and van de Beek supporting him in midfield. Bruno should be dropped, he's useless in that system, and we can play 433 with Sancho and Greenwood on the wings.

Everybody talking about "system" players like van de Beek and Sancho, while it's actually the "no-system" players that struggle the most so far (Bruno and Rashford).

Slysi17

I like Donny and wished we play more in a system he thrives in but we don't. At the same time he has to adapt and change his quick pass game given it's not the best choice if his teammates can't or aren't instructed to meet this style.

Chances are otherwise he either already is or will be permanently classed as a fully solidified untrainable, system player and not a versatile adaptable one that's needed in a team without a massive set identity. We are not Ajax. He need to pick more tools from his toolbox and retain and weigh his passes more. Perhaps when he does just that he is no longer the best option and thus why he isn't playing.
Then buy someone. The hate that Donny gets when McTominay and Fred haven't been any better isn't justified.

Slysi17

He has to find someone new. Donny isn't any better, he is just a different player. Not by any means better, if he was, he would play more.

I wholeheartedly agree that our midfield should be better, but the solution is far from Donny. This nonsense needs to stop.
He hasn't been given a run out in the team though. Scott McTominay and Fred ain't the solution either. This nonsense of giving Donny grief and not McTominay or Fred also needs to stop. Especially when McTominay and Fred have been given way more chances.

Mercurial

Then buy someone. The hate that Donny gets when McTominay and Fred haven't been any better isn't justified.
U sure people hate him?? Ridiculous Caf term washed out over the years. Seems more like most everyone like him as a person, are neutral or frustrated including the coaching staff as to where he belongs as a player. If he was a massive player with a big impact he would have been in by now, there is no Donny conspiracy, just saying.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
U sure people hate him?? Ridiculous Caf term washed out over the years. Seems more like most everyone like him as a person, are neutral or frustrated including the coaching staff as to where he belongs as a player. If he was a massive player with a big impact he would have been in by now, there is no Donny conspiracy, just saying.
The problem with this way of thinking, demonstrated multiple times in this thread, is that we will keep playing McFred until we find next Xavi (massive player with big impact).
The problem I see is how little game time van de Beek has been given to develop even as a squad player. He was just non-existent despite having average to ok performances every month when he got his chance.
That's manager job. Look how Fred improved with regular playing time. Yet people act like this is van de Beek top level and shout "after watching him play for 73 minutes in 7 games as a sub, I've decided he's not good enough. He was also not impressive when we played mickey mouse team vs Young Boys. "
It's a shocking approach to young players and team development.

Presto

Nah, even when Bruno has an off game he is still able to produce, same about Ronaldo. They got immense quality and the opposition has to consider them, thats not the case with DvB.
He doesnt play because he isnt better or on the same level as the rest.

Him and Matic are backups. Fair and simple. For once, trust the judgement of the manager.
If he is a backup then what's the point of bring him on at 87th minute? Your answer to my previous question is nonsense too, I were asking the exact reason for this kind of late sub, nothing to do with quality at all, if he isn't good enough quality wide, surely he didn't even get those minutes anyway?

Andersonson

He hasn't been given a run out in the team though. Scott McTominay and Fred ain't the solution either. This nonsense of giving Donny grief and not McTominay or Fred also needs to stop. Especially when McTominay and Fred have been given way more chances.
They are given more time simply because they are better. We are not in a position to try to bed in a player like DvB who has never proven his worth at this level. A player like Donny isn't going to get time at a club like United for the sake of becoming good later on. He doesn't have the age or talent for that.

If he is a backup then what's the point of bring him on at 87th minute? Your answer to my previous question is nonsense too, I were asking the exact reason for this kind of late sub, nothing to do with quality at all, if he isn't good enough quality wide, surely he didn't even get those minutes anyway?
He comes on because the others are tired and needs a rest? Same with Matic when he comes on. And they get to play cup-games.

He gets minutes because there are not other options. Our midfield options ain't stacked with players.... If Matic would be fit I bet he would come on instead if DvB. At least yesterday

Abraxas

Bizarre this is getting such attention within the context of the game.

He wasn't needed. He's started one game under RR, as a midfielder. If that's how he sees him then there was no logical reason to introduce VDB. He was just there to waste time, quite simply.

Litch

What planet are you on. McTominay and Fred are both rubbish. You think we are going to challenge for trophies with those 2. Absolutely annoys the heck out of me they both play.
It's kind of funny that everyone thought the same yet, new manager they are still here and Donnys still getting 5 mins. Strange eh that McFred still lives on?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's kind of funny that everyone thought the same yet, new manager they are still here and Donnys still getting 5 mins. Strange eh that McFred still lives on?
I'd try him out at no.10 and if he doesn't play better than Bruno or Sancho then just keep him as a bench option and sell in the summer.

Litch

I'd try him out at no.10 and if he doesn't play better than Bruno or Sancho then just keep him as a bench option and sell in the summer.
Maybe. I think the manager looks at the likes of Donny, Lingard, Martial and maybe even Pogs and sees the opportunity to save on wages and/or then being able to bring in new players rather than attempting to having to solve the previous managers problems. Anything that's a square beg in a round hole will be history in the passage of time.

luke511

It baffles me he's a no.10 given his strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure he's not going to be a regular starter at a top club in that position. He looks much more comfortable deeper with a 6/8 next to him. If he's insisting on playing as a 10 then his fate is sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.