5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Wasn't he pretty much a baller under ETH? There's a reason he played him a lot. Including against Real Madrid and such no?
There’s also a reason Haller finds it easier in Holland. It’s easier in Holland.

L1nk

There’s also a reason Haller finds it easier in Holland. It’s easier in Holland.
But many fantastic players have come from Holland, including some of our very own, its not a death sentence on its own

Chief123

At this moment in time, DVB feels like one of the very few names which would be a starter for us next season!

L1nk

It’s not but the lad can’t even get on at Everton.
But if he can player better in a system, where a lot of systems seem to elevate average players, its worth seeing if thats the case is it not?

Abraxas

I think it's very unlikely ETH is going to be head over heels with van de Beek. It's a natural assumption to jump to but not actually that logical. You have to look at the complete picture not just images of van de Beek high fiving his manager years ago.

He knows this is a different club, a different league and a different period of time. I don't think he's going to be glued to a player like Harry Redknapp and Niko Krancjar just because he's had some success with him in the past.

It will be a purely objective view on his suitability, and another factor will be how we can strengthen. If he's looking to get some mids in which is probable they'll likely be ahead in the queue. The best I can see at this stage is VDB has to compete for a place and maybe he'll be more of a rotation option than he has been previously. But he still has to impress to earn time, which is something he has had difficulty with. ETH might be capable of great coaching but you can't dress up suitability and quality for the league.

Brophs

The One and Only
The downside of ETH being the new manager is having to endure another season of the VdB nonsense.

Tavern in the town

Ten Hag described his lack of playing time at United as “a mortal sin” back in 2021 so it’s hard to imagine him not getting significant game time next season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It’s not but the lad can’t even get on at Everton.
Wouldn't it all depend on the system the team plays? If VDB has already played well under ETH and his system then there's every chance VDB could succeed at United. Definitely worth giving him a go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will get his chance for sure. I don't really rate VdB all that much, but we'll see what Ten Hag does.

Oranges038

We've suffered with the whole Fred and McTominay thing for about 4 years.

So when you think about it, giving Donny another season and a chance with a manager who he previously worked well with is not entirely a bad idea.

acnumber9

Wouldn't it all depend on the system the team plays? If VDB has already played well under ETH and his system then there's every chance VDB could succeed at United. Definitely worth giving him a go.
Not necessarily. The Premier League is considerably more difficult than the Dutch league. I mean, if system is all that matters we could’ve brought Tom Cleverley back.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Not necessarily. The Premier League is considerably more difficult than the Dutch league. I mean, if system is all that matters we could’ve brought Tom Cleverley back.
Cleverley was nothing more than a squad player who was lucky enough to get as many games as he did because of the state of our MF. VDB was an integral part of a very good Ajax side that played the system that hopefully ETH has us playing. The club lose nothing to see if his Ajax form could be translated to the PL.

What's the worst that can happen? We all know the squad needs gutting but we won't be signing 10 players in ETHs first window so maybe the best idea would be to bring back players like VDB, Garner and give Mejbri a chance which would free up money for other signings. If it doesn't work out then they can be phased out but not giving them that chance wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
VDB will play for quite a while i guess. Ten Hag is rather conservative in his choice of players and prefers using players he know he can trust. So VDB will but the first on the teamsheet for the first few matches. If he stays in the starting XI is all up to him

SAFMUTD

This is his chance, if he can't get into the starting XI with Ten Hag and our current midfield state then he never will.

Kag

Let it go, lads. This isn’t happening.

Unless Ten Hag actively wants to lose his job, then he isn’t going to play Van de Beek ahead of the likes of Bruno and Fred, or whoever else we decide to bring in.

Ten Hag won’t give a second thought to his time at Ajax either. This is the Premier League and the circumstances are different.

He’ll stay because we can’t actually afford to lose any more players, so hopefully he can manage in a squad role and chip in that way.

KeanoMagicHat

Let it go, lads. This isn’t happening.

Unless Ten Hag actively wants to lose his job, then he isn’t going to play Van de Beek ahead of the likes of Bruno and Fred, or whoever else we decide to bring in.

Ten Hag won’t give a second thought to his time at Ajax either. This is the Premier League and the circumstances are different.

He’ll stay because we can’t actually afford to lose any more players, so hopefully he can manage in a squad role and chip in that way.
That would be a big improvement though for Van de Beek. He didn't even have a squad role, he played something like 70 minutes out of 23 available league games for United this season. Even boosting that to the level of Matic does now would be a good squad player role.

Kag

That would be a big improvement though for Van de Beek. He didn't even have a squad role, he played something like 70 minutes out of 23 available league games for United this season. Even boosting that to the level of Matic does now would be a good squad player role.
Perhaps. He can’t be any worse than Pogba at the minute, mind.

acnumber9

Cleverley was nothing more than a squad player who was lucky enough to get as many games as he did because of the state of our MF. VDB was an integral part of a very good Ajax side that played the system that hopefully ETH has us playing. The club lose nothing to see if his Ajax form could be translated to the PL.

What's the worst that can happen? We all know the squad needs gutting but we won't be signing 10 players in ETHs first window so maybe the best idea would be to bring back players like VDB, Garner and give Mejbri a chance which would free up money for other signings. If it doesn't work out then they can be phased out but not giving them that chance wouldn't make a lot of sense.
Was he all that integral? They haven’t skipped a beat since he left and was replaced by Davy Klaasen who was another Premier League flop. I think he’s a coward. Players that can play simple passes are ten a penny. United need players with the nerve to try and make things happen.

We potentially lose any remaining transfer value he has left.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Was he all that integral? They haven’t skipped a beat since he left and was replaced by Davy Klaasen who was another Premier League flop. I think he’s a coward. Players that can play simple passes are ten a penny. United need players with the nerve to try and make things happen.

Why do you think he's a coward? He was hardly given a fair chance at United especially when Ole had no clue in how to shoehorn him Into the team.

I'm not saying he's going to have a fantastic United career only that he'd be worth taking a chance over having played under ETH before. He's under contract until 2025+1 so there's still time to assess him further. If he bombs then we'll still get the same price as he's worth at the minute. It's very low risk.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I believe he will likely play quite a bit at the start as ETH does his best to implement the style of play that he wants. VDB is obviously going to have a significant advantage in that regard over most of the team (although his lack of game-time over the last two seasons might negate that advantage).

As time goes on though I personally think VDB will continue to struggle to get to grips with the league (although he'll perform better than he has so far), and he'll get less and less time on the pitch.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I believe he will likely play quite a bit at the start as ETH does his best to implement the style of play that he wants. VDB is obviously going to have a significant advantage in that regard over most of the team (although his lack of game-time over the last two seasons might negate that advantage).

As time goes on though I personally think VDB will continue to struggle to get to grips with the league (although he'll perform better than he has so far), and he'll get less and less time on the pitch.
It's hard to get used to the pace needed if you don't get to play. Smart players will find a way to adapt to the league once they get their minutes in.

Silva and Mata weren't exactly blessed with pace and strength and yet they were able to look like world class players in the league.

KeanoMagicHat

I mean they do and they don't, if everyone plays like Bruno, then the team will be an even bigger basket case than it is. Sometimes tidy and smart players are useful in winning teams, look at someone like Wijnaldum at Liverpool.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's hard to get used to the pace needed if you don't get to play. Smart players will find a way to adapt to the league once they get their minutes in.

Silva and Mata weren't exactly blessed with pace and strength and yet they were able to look like world class players in the league.
It's not just the physicality (which VDB showed definite signs of improving this season), it's the ability. Silva and Mata had a lot more ability than I see in VDB. From what I've seen of him (which I admit isn't a great deal outside of his Utd matches) he is very much a system player. The fact we're now going to be implementing that system is going to be an obvious boost for him, but I don't think it's going to be difficult to have a more skilled (and more physical?) player who also fits into the system who will ultimately be much better for us.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong, and good luck to him doing so.

Ted Lasso

Not sure VDB will be a regular starter but I certainly expect him to feature prominently. Same with Lindelof.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think ETH will quickly realise you need better players than VdB in the PL, but he could be useful as a conduit to the next stage, as he knows the system etc.

Bobski

He has looked bang average at Everton too after a decent(if overhyped) game against Leeds, missed a couple of games through injury but back last night and with Everton chasing the game and looking to avoid relegation he stayed on the bench. Every player needs games, but they also have to take the chances they get and for the vast majority of his time in England Donny has been totally ineffectual.

Not sure VDB will be a regular starter but I certainly expect him to feature prominently. Same with Lindelof.

This Utd team lacks character, leadership and fight, as well as ability. I don't know how you overcome that by building around guys like Donny and Lindelof who might be technically capable but have been badly lacking the other side during their time in England.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I think ETH will quickly realise you need better players than VdB in the PL, but he could be useful as a conduit to the next stage, as he knows the system etc.
i think he’ll be wanting to keep vdb around so he can get as much info as possible as to how lampard runs things so he can improve as a manager.

Gandalf

This Utd team lacks character, leadership and fight, as well as ability. I don't know how you overcome that by building around guys like Donny and Lindelof who might be technically capable but have been badly lacking the other side during their time in England.
I don't think anyone is suggesting building around them but if we pull back from some of the fantasy football nonsense being spouted about our summer transfer business the reality is that a lot of the current squad will be here next year. ETH can implement his system by using Donny who already is familiar with it and you don't need to know that much about football to see that Lindelof is a far better fit for the way ETH sets up his teams than Maguire for example. None of that changes the fact that 2 years from now both should have been upgraded and moved on but that is not something that is likely to happen this summer.

acnumber9

Why do you think he's a coward? He was hardly given a fair chance at United especially when Ole had no clue in how to shoehorn him Into the team.

I'm not saying he's going to have a fantastic United career only that he'd be worth taking a chance over having played under ETH before. He's under contract until 2025+1 so there's still time to assess him further. If he bombs then we'll still get the same price as he's worth at the minute. It's very low risk.
The way he plays. Safe pass after safe pass.

acnumber9

I mean they do and they don't, if everyone plays like Bruno, then the team will be an even bigger basket case than it is. Sometimes tidy and smart players are useful in winning teams, look at someone like Wijnaldum at Liverpool.
But Wijnaldum was better defensively to go with it. Van De Beek doesn’t have that in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.