5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonius

mctominay thread is hopping with speculation of how he will play under ETH. nobody cares enough about donny to even bother here.
We should he showed at Ajax he is press resistant and a good system player with the odd goal contribution in him, precisely what a modern midfielder should be.

There is nothing to discuss though really, think people just assume its completely expected he will automatically improve under ETH. Has been in the league a few years now and will have his manager, his system, and a former midfield partner next to him, if he doesn't then its curtains no excuse.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
mctominay thread is hopping with speculation of how he will play under ETH. nobody cares enough about donny to even bother here.
Maybe because Donny and ETH is a golden fit and not as much of a mystery. MCT is a not so technical footballer about to play under a manager that values technical skills. His future discussion is more interesting.

Bobski

True.

I’m not particularly optimistic, but there’s a weird group of incredibly fanatical anti-Donnys who have been absolutely certain he has no chance. It would be great to see them proved wrong.
Checking in.

There is also a weird group of pro-Donnys who ignored(or blamed on everyone else but him) his almost total ineffectiveness in the mins he played for both Utd and Everton and demanded he got a chance. It would be great to see them proved right, because we would then have another quality player in the squad.

There are no excuses now and he should be massively motivated, appears that Ten Hag is trying to create Ajax west, he has his comfort blankie back and it is a world cup year.

Revaulx

Checking in.

There is also a weird group of pro-Donnys who ignored(or blamed on everyone else but him) his almost total ineffectiveness in the mins he played for both Utd and Everton and demanded he got a chance. It would be great to see them proved right, because we would then have another quality player in the squad.

There are no excuses now and he should be massively motivated, appears that Ten Hag is trying to create Ajax west, he has his comfort blankie back and it is a world cup year.
Well yes. The pro-Donny fanatics ruled the airwaves initially, but mercifully seem to have faded into the background, whereas the antis are still as shouty as ever. Not you, obvs.

As I already mentioned, I’m not very optimistic. I do find it odd that some people are more determined to be proved right than having another quality player though, however slim the chances.

lex talionis

When you're only ever brought on in the 85th minute you're not being given a proper chance to make an impact.

Ole ran Bruno into the ground, no matter how poor his performances were becoming. Donny may or may not have what it takes to succeed in the PL but when you're not given a chance even when the player ahead of you in that role is turning in shite performances, you're never going prove you have what it takes. Sell him or keep him, but if we're going to keep him FFS give the man a chance.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Well yes. The pro-Donny fanatics ruled the airwaves initially, but mercifully seem to have faded into the background, whereas the antis are still as shouty as ever. Not you, obvs.

As I already mentioned, I’m not very optimistic. I do find it odd that some people are more determined to be proved right than having another quality player though, however slim the chances.
I don't think that's the case for the vast majority of people. They've just made up their mind and are skeptical.

Personally I think he'll be a useful squad player next season and if he's not content with that he'll drop down a level and do reasonably well. He was average for a shit show like Everton playing deeper than I'd ideally like to see him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing midtable 2 years down the line.

Revaulx

I don't think that's the case for the vast majority of people. They've just made up their mind and are skeptical.

Personally I think he'll be a useful squad player next season and if he's not content with that he'll drop down a level and do reasonably well. He was average for a shit show like Everton playing deeper than I'd ideally like to see him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing midtable 2 years down the line.
Oh I’m sceptical all right!

There’s a loud minority of posters who are utterly convinced he’s irredeemably shit, and believe that he’s had ample opportunity to show what he’s capable of. I just don’t share their fundamentalist conviction, and imagine we’ll see quite a lot of him next season. Regular starter though? I doubt it.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I don't think Donny will make it at United. Even with Ten Hag present I just don't see a place for him as long as Bruno is here. Just lacks the overall quality. He's a Muller type player without the leadership and physicality. Only works in a dominant team and United won't be dominating with this squad.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Having both Donny and FDJ in midfield will make things even easier for ETH to implement his style. If Donny doesn't see more game time this season, it's fair to say he's finished here but its very unlikely. This is the same player that in the champions league with Ajax did so well against the best of sides.

UncleBob

It’s just that Bruno is miles better than him and he’s a bit too soft to play the role behind him. It’ll be FDJ Fred Bruno next season I’d imagine and that should be capable of winning enough midfield battles to keep us in touch
They are completely different players

Polar

If DVB is one of ETH’s trusted men in the startup I think ETH’s project is over before it begins. I don’t hope ETH underestimate the PL requirements or think DVB or other of his Ajax fellows will make us competitive with City, Chelsea and Pool. Eventually seems like a beginner mistake, and I think such a mistake will hang with him for a long time.

city-puma

If DVB is one of ETH’s trusted men in the startup I think ETH’s project is over before it begins. I don’t hope ETH underestimate the PL requirements or think DVB or other of his Ajax fellows will make us competitive with City, Chelsea and Pool. Eventually seems like a beginner mistake, and I think such a mistake will hang with him for a long time.
My concern is ETH might underestimate the physical side of EPL. The referees here are different. But who knows, he might have already well thought about it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Checking in.

At best Donnie may be a player that suits a certain environment or system only. At worst, he just isn't adaptable or lacks the necessary skillsets to play in the PL.

sglowrider

Having both Donny and FDJ in midfield will make things even easier for ETH to implement his style. If Donny doesn't see more game time this season, it's fair to say he's finished here but its very unlikely. This is the same player that in the champions league with Ajax did so well against the best of sides.
The CL is very different animal to the PL. Otherwise, the current English teams would win it every year.

sglowrider

100% It is a concern. That's why they had a McClaren there to ease the landing.

And tbf Pep and Klopp made those same rookie mistakes early on but they recovered.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
yes but the role they may be rotated for is the same. He’s not taking anyones place in the team if he doesn’t step it majorly
How is this true? Their starting position in a staticly presented starting formation might be the same as an AM, but the role they would have in that team would be completely different, based on the types of players there are... If Bruno plays 10 he would be the creative brain creating chances.. If Donny would play they there someone else would need to provide creativity and Donny would need to make sure to be on the end of it...

city-puma

How is this true? Their starting position in a staticly presented starting formation might be the same as an AM, but the role they would have in that team would be completely different, based on the types of players there are... If Bruno plays 10 he would be the creative brain creating chances.. If Donny would play they there someone else would need to provide creativity and Donny would need to make sure to be on the end of it...
Fine summary.

UncleBob

yes but the role they may be rotated for is the same. He’s not taking anyones place in the team if he doesn’t step it majorly
Why?

By all means, the only reason I have some form of hope that Donny will improve is because Ten Hag is the manager, but I strongly doubt that he'll rotate Donny in the exact same role. Donny and Bruno have entirely different attributes, wouldn't surprise me if Bruno's role is redefined to avoid the chaos he creates in our own half

Andersons Dietician

At best Donnie may be a player that suits a certain environment or system only. At worst, he just isn't adaptable or lacks the necessary skillsets to play in the PL.
What skill set is this? Because given the manager coming in likes rotation of positions, players moving in to spaces and quick link up play all things designed to negate the need for physical upfront battles what skill set is Donny missing for the Prem.

I mean given the brief outings he had for United it was clear his movement and ability to find spaces was far superior to anyone in our team. If we can get players that can do similar yet be brave enough to see and take on the passes then we should have a good player on our hands.

Feel like he gets a harsh time due to just not fitting in with what Ole was trying to do and being a player brought up and playing in a far more technical way than what Ole was trying to implement. He’s going to be a useful player going forward.

Bobski

If Ronaldo goes and Utd start playing with a false 9 or without an out and out number 9 we might find that Donny then becomes more useful. His greatest asset as player is his intelligent movement and link up play high up the pitch. Can't replace Bruno's role in recent Utd teams as he is not an individually creative player, not much of a passing range or any physical qualities outside of good fitness which makes him extremely medicore in deeper roles, but if he is just there to make clever runs and for the others to bounce the ball he might offer something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.