Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ah damn it, i was typing the same thing, but was too slow. Ah well, this seems fair. Why keep a player you aren't gonna play.

He didn't come to United to be a cup player and wants to play in the Premier League. Ole seems to block that with not playing him or letting him go.

Threesus

This guy and Sancho in a way, are pass and move players. You could see Sancho passing to somebody in the previous game and making a run and not receiving the ball from the player, making him frustrated.

Ole deserves praise for reshaping the squad, but I guess you can’t have a hit rate of 100%. Even Liverpool under Klopp have brought papers like Minamino and Keira, among others.

Hope we sell him soon and not dither too much.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Full quotes in the above thread.
The two interesting things there are the confirmation that we had planned to change formation (presumably to a 4-3-3 that might suit VDB more) and the fact that the agent seems to have been left with the impression that he will get his chance in the PL.

Kaos

Would be very poor form of Ole to block his move to Everton, promise him more games only to have him to carry on rotting on the bench. Not entirely sure what Ole's grand plan is here. Maybe he genuinely was being super patient in bedding him into the team and we might see him start against Newcastle. Or Ole's lying to keep a player he has no intention of playing, for...some reason or other?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Evil Ole is shackling a mediocre Ajax system baby midfielder who has no fixed position or no massively discernible strengths to his game.

Won’t anyone think of the children?!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The two interesting things there are the confirmation that we had planned to change formation (presumably to a 4-3-3 that might suit VDB more) and the fact that the agent seems to have been left with the impression that he will get his chance in the PL.
Reading between the lines it does seem the plan was to adopt a proactive approach to playing the game. But the thrashing at home v Spurs put immense pressure on Solskjaer who then reverted to playing a reactive brand of football with two midfielders (McFred) who are better off the ball than they're on the ball IMO, which got Solskjaer results playing a system that relied on keeping defensive structure in a low to midblock.

I think the issue now is gonna be if VdB does play and doesn't hit the ground running, there will be many fans lining up to criticise him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would be very poor form of Ole to block his move to Everton, promise him more games only to have him to carry on rotting on the bench. Not entirely sure what Ole's grand plan is here. Maybe he genuinely was being super patient in bedding him into the team and we might see him start against Newcastle. Or Ole's lying to keep a player he has no intention of playing, for...some reason or other?
Might be they're still eyeing up that switch in formation VDB's agent was talking about? I think it was mentioned that they were playing 4-3-3 in the behind closed doors friendly against Stoke. Maybe adding Varane makes them think it will work now. If they did switch then that would presumably give VDB more of an opportunity to play.

Though we'd be depending a lot on whichever of Fred, McTominay or Matic gets asked to play DM in that scenario.

Strelok

You can’t make that call unless he gets a consistent run of games in the team. Fred was shit in his first season but when he got games he is actually decent just not as a DM.

You can’t say he hasn’t shown what he can when he got his chance. One start in like 2 months isn’t getting a chance. There is no rhythm to your play and you haven’t exactly played a game with the players around you. Training with them isn’t the same as playing a full 90 with them.
Agreed on Fred. But I said so far. You can only be sure of what you've seen so far.

Anyway, Ole simply can't give him a run for the sake of the run. He needs results. Unless there's a big injury crisis I don't think that's plausible.

Crashoutcassius

As with last season, he will get chances but be expected to play well. Was anonymous too often last season. Hopefully he improves this year. Competing with lingard who seems to be taking his opportunities the last 8 months

The United

While I am hoping Donny will be useful for us for the sake of United, Ole does not really need to explain anyone but the player much about whether he wants to play him or not. He is the coach. He could buy Ronaldo and not play him as well if he thinks he is not the guy for the team or system.

This crying about how Ole is killing Donny's career thing is a bit amusing. He was not going this summer because no one wanted him or/and Donny wanted to prove this season. I don't believe Ole is holding him back from moving on if he simply think the guy does not fit the team. He is not the first manager who buys a player and fails to implement him properly in the game or the player turns out not so good.

Eplel

Evil Ole is shackling a mediocre Ajax system baby midfielder who has no fixed position or no massively discernible strengths to his game.

Won’t anyone think of the children?!
Care to explain why he splashed 40 million on him instead of investing in a proper DM then?

Crashoutcassius

Why are people so desperate to sell an important depth player at a probable loss ? Do you all care more about this random guys career than United ?

If we get injuries we need him. If he starts taking chances and playing well, we benefit from him. If others keep playing better than him, no loss. What is the big panic

The money we paid for him is nothing. City have spend 20-50pc more on complete Duds and just signed a new player the very next window. Barce have spent 150m on the same. That is what we are competing with.

tomaldinho1

Reading between the lines it does seem the plan was to adopt a proactive approach to playing the game. But the thrashing at home v Spurs put immense pressure on Solskjaer who then reverted to playing a reactive brand of football with two midfielders (McFred) who are better off the ball than they're on the ball IMO, which got Solskjaer results playing a system that relied on keeping defensive structure in a low to midblock.

I think the issue now is gonna be if VdB does play and doesn't hit the ground running, there will be many fans lining up to criticise him.
The bigger picture here is that the majority of our fans want us to adopt a more proactive approach and it's a shame it seems pragmatism took over for an entire season. It could be forgiven if we'd picked up a consolation like the EL and then could look forward but we haven't won anything and it looks like we're sticking with the same tactics again this season. This isn't even about VDB anymore, it's a broader question on style of play and how to win trophies.

It's all well and good saying 'we will play 433', 'we will play attacking football' or 'we will be a pressing team' but any of us fans could say the right things in press conferences, it's another matter actually doing it. We can't keep living off buzzwords.

tomaldinho1

Care to explain how you know he was Oles signing then?
Player and manager confirmed it...Athletic wrote a detailed article on it. Pretty sure you can find the video of Ole talking about the call if you look through youtube. VdB also mentioned it in an early MUTV interview. But no, completely agree, wasn't his player and Murtogh went behind his back.

From the Athletic article:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer elaborately explained to Donny van de Beek on how he would fit in alongside Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba at Man United in a FaceTime call last week, as per The Athletic. The Norwegian is said to have been authoritative with his response to Van de Beek’s queries in that call, reiterating that talented players always work together. He also convinced the Ajax midfielder about the need to improve United’s squad depth, while also highlighting how Van de Beek's scoring ability can improve the Red Devils. The Dutchman came off the phone entirely convinced by Solskjaer’s game-plan and made up his mind to reject other offers and seal the move to Old Trafford.

mu4c_20le

He's our manager. If he's not in charge of signings,then he's a muppet.

Which one is it?
You play too much FM.

Anyways, he was signed for the Bruno position and was tried there, he's just not used to the tempo of the league.

VivaRonaldo85

He reminds me of a bit of a Schneiderlin type signing from a few years back albeit without any previous PL experience. Can see him go to someone like an Everton or Leicester and do ok but nothing more.

Strelok

Imo regardless of he's an Ole's signing or not Ole definitely had a say in this transfer. So he's responsible.

Let's say Ole made a mistake signing him. Now if he keep playing him in the hope of him getting better then he may sacrifice results in doing such. What the other players would think? What people would say? They'll say Ole keep playing his signings because Ole's afraid of being wrong. Or Ole always play his favourites regardless of their performances, like Mourinho. Would be very bad for the dressing room and the team.

I'd say Ole did the right thing not playing him. You're my signing but if you don't deliver you don't play. It's a good and clear message for every players. You get to play only if your performances deserve so. Let's not make another mistake simply because you've made a mistake. That often only make things worse.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
You play too much FM.

Anyways, he was signed for the Bruno position and was tried there, he's just not used to the tempo of the league.
He started 4 games last year. That’s clearly not a big enough sample size to judge him on if he can or cannot get used to the tempo of the league, especially for a player coming from a foreign country.

sillwuka

Donny may well be an Ole sanctioned signing.

I think it's plausible that Ole had plans for Donny but these were scuppered when judging his actual ability in training, comparing him to the other midfielders and realising there isn't much of an improvement. He would have played more if he was outperforming Fred or Scott in training.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We have a very good player in VdB sitting on the bench, can play different midfield roles, beefed himself up for a battle and we have fans suggesting we play a failed CB in midfield instead. My mind boggles

Strelok

We have a very good player in VdB sitting on the bench, can play different midfield roles, beefed himself up for a battle and we have fans suggesting we play a failed CB in midfield instead. My mind boggles
May I ask this is based on?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
May I ask this is based on?
Watching him play lots for Ajax, in the CL. He’s not been given enough time to settle and get to speed. He’s coming from a team where he played one touch football, pass and move, teammates understanding his runs.
At United, so far few players have been on his wavelength.

besides surely an actual experienced midfielder is worry playing in midfield before a CB who has shown that he himself has a lot of weaknesses in his own game?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The bigger picture here is that the majority of our fans want us to adopt a more proactive approach and it's a shame it seems pragmatism took over for an entire season. It could be forgiven if we'd picked up a consolation like the EL and then could look forward but we haven't won anything and it looks like we're sticking with the same tactics again this season. This isn't even about VDB anymore, it's a broader question on style of play and how to win trophies.

It's all well and good saying 'we will play 433', 'we will play attacking football' or 'we will be a pressing team' but any of us fans could say the right things in press conferences, it's another matter actually doing it. We can't keep living off buzzwords.
I think this season will be a defining season for Ole. He's either gonna be the man or the man before the man.

Strelok

Watching him play lots for Ajax, in the CL. He’s not been given enough time to settle and get to speed. He’s coming from a team where he played one touch football, pass and move, teammates understanding his runs.
At United, so far few players have been on his wavelength.

besides surely an actual experienced midfielder is worry playing in midfield before a CB who has shown that he himself has a lot of weaknesses in his own game?
So it's only relevant in the Eredivise and CL I think. That's why I said he'd do pretty fine in the CL games. I wouldn't say the same watching him in the PL.

I didn't say anything regarding the CB stuff, tbh for me that's just another one of the crazy opinions the caf always have around.

Imo we simply made a mistake signing him. Tbh I have a feeling about him exactly the same I felt about James. Very good lad but not good enough for us. For the sake of both the sooner he leaves the better. Next summer we'll buy a new midfielder and move him on I think.

OverratedOpinion

So it's only relevant in the Eredivise and CL I think. That's why I said he'd do pretty fine in the CL games. I wouldn't say the same watching him in the PL.

I didn't say anything regarding the CB stuff, tbh for me that's just another one of the crazy opinions the caf always have around.

Imo we simply made a mistake signing him. Tbh I have a feeling about him exactly the same I felt about James. Very good lad but not good enough for us. For the sake of both the sooner he leaves the better. Next summer we'll buy a new midfielder and move him on I think.
He is definitely good enough to play for us.

Whether we signed a player with the wrong attributes who excels in the wrong position is another story.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Do people actually think that Ole sees this cracking player in training and just decide not to play him? He isn’t being played because he hasn’t shown enough and when he does get a chance, looks terrified. Maybe it can change but he looks far away from getting in the side

JB7

Well obviously it’s with what they’ve seen of him at Ajax.
Which is obviously far more important than what we've seen with our own eyes of him at United, which has been fecking dreadful.

RDCR07

Which is obviously far more important than what we've seen with our own eyes of him at United, which has been fecking dreadful.
So it's only relevant there I think. You wouldn't say the same watching him here.

It's nothing new if a player would play well in a team but would not when moving to another team, another league.

The issue here imo is people should stop complaining why Ole doesn't play him in the PL games when his performances here obviously don't deserve that at all.
Yeah cause 4 starts in the premier league is good enough to judge a player? At least give him a proper chance before casting him out. I understand he was bought in as backup in case Bruno gets injured but why criticize him when we haven’t really give him a consistent run of games. Coming as a sub 15 times after the 82nd minute isn’t going to do shit for any player. Look at what a consistent run in the starting XI did for Fred.

If he was so shit at training as you guys claim and that’s why he isn’t getting a run in the team do you really think the staff would have put up with him for so long? A player can’t be shit at training for over 12 months!

Strelok

Well obviously it’s with what they’ve seen of him at Ajax.
So it's only relevant there I think. You wouldn't say the same watching him here.

It's nothing new if a player would play well in a team but would not when moving to another team, another league.

The issue here imo is people should stop complaining why Ole doesn't play him in the PL games when his performances here obviously don't deserve that at all.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah cause 4 starts in the premier league is good enough to judge a player? At least give him a proper chance before casting him out. I understand he was bought in as backup in case Bruno gets injured but why criticize him when we haven’t really give him a consistent run of games. Coming as a sub 15 times after the 82nd minute isn’t going to do shit for any player. Look at what a consistent run in the starting XI did for Fred.
It’s easier said than done to give a player who doesn’t look up to it a run in league games which may cost us points.

You can play him in cups and the odd game in Europe but it will only ever be sporadic, unfortunately it’s not an easy game so you either make an impression or in this case so far.. you don’t

RDCR07

It’s easier said than done to give a player who doesn’t look up to it a run in league games which may cost us points.

You can play him in cups and the odd game in Europe but it will only ever be sporadic, unfortunately it’s not an easy game so you either make an impression or in this case so far.. you don’t
Even Messi and Ronaldo could struggle to make an impact playing as a sub for 8 minutes let alone this lad. If you don’t give him a consistent run of games then obviously he is going to struggle to get up to speed with the league. That’s true for any player. Getting a start every 2 months isn’t going to give you a chance to make an impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.