5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red4ever 79

I saw the presser. Its just a stupid response to be honest.

Hes drawing pointless parallels and basically just saying" I've got a squad of internationals ". Well no shit.
The whole man management of Donny has been abysmal. Never been given a run of games like Mcfred have. Plays the odd game here and there and can't find any rhythm. I am not saying he has been outstanding when he has played, but as mentioned, never really been given a fair crack. What is the most bizarre thing though is why we didn't allow the lad to go on loan to Everton. He is not getting game time here, and surely would have been an ideal opportunity to assess how he copes playing week in week out in the league

GlasgowCeltic

#freedonny

Baffling signing if true. Although benefit of the doubt he was signed to take pogbas place. I’d actually play him instead of Pogba in games where we need more disciplined performance. Poor management by Ole either way. Fairly cringey stuff all round. He should have just been sold in the summer if he was going to manage him like this. We are going to lose a lot of value by hanging on for the extra year or selling in January. In fact if he wants to leave in January you know it’ll be a crap loan.
Not sure the benefit of the doubt is warranted tbh, the idea thag he was identified as the Pogba replacement is probably the most baffling aspect.

Real Name

He hasn't been given much of a chance so I'm not surprised.
Yeah, what I'm surprised is you saw all that from the few games and minutes he's played but we can agree he should play more, a lot more to prove he's good at all those things.

Fluctuation0161

I honestly don't see what people see in him, he's slow, can't tackle and certainly doesn't chase back, he plays a few side ways passes,
Would suit a team that passes all game and doesn't get challenged or pushed of the ball.
No reasonable fan can say he suits this team, least when Matic comes on he makes an improvement to the team,
Sell him in Jan and buy someone useful, Bissouma or Phillips would be a massive improvement on what VDB has done.
Agreed.

luke511

Yeah, what I'm surprised is you saw all that from the few games and minutes he's played but we can agree he should play more, a lot more to prove he's good at all those things.
He played at Ajax for a good while as well..

Water Melon

After Ole's presser it looks like Donny will get his move come January. I will be very surprised if he starts against Everton.

Fluctuation0161

I fully sympathise with Donny - but once a player makes a negative gesture in public against their Manager, the Manager has to nip that in the bud straight away. Goes for any Manager at any club.

Ferguson always said that keeping control of the dressing room was the most important thing for him to do.

If Ole just lets this slide with Donny, or plays Donny in the next game then it's a signal to all the players that of they kick up a fuss in public they too might get what they want.

Ole had to address this and slap the player down in public, the only way. Donny isn't stupid either, he's just at the point where he's rather destroy what's left of the relationship with the Manager so he gets a move asap.
Fair comment.

mu4c_20le

I fully sympathise with Donny - but once a player makes a negative gesture in public against their Manager, the Manager has to nip that in the bud straight away. Goes for any Manager at any club.

Ferguson always said that keeping control of the dressing room was the most important thing for him to do.

If Ole just lets this slide with Donny, or plays Donny in the next game then it's a signal to all the players that of they kick up a fuss in public they too might get what they want.

Ole had to address this and slap the player down in public, the only way. Donny isn't stupid either, he's just at the point where he's rather destroy what's left of the relationship with the Manager so he gets a move asap.
Yeah, it was really immature and pointless. We were still chasing the game at the time and he made it about himself.

jem

Bloody United Stand. Sick of them on a one man mission to support Donny FC. Sharing Daily Mail articles.

They really are Uniteds version of AFTV. Embarrassing.
I think they are asking the question a lot of us are asking: why is Donny here if he's never going to get a shot? That being said, I wouldn't ever rely on the United Stand as a news source. I do enjoy the segments with Ince and Romano and I like the post-match panels with Adam and the rest, but the daily segments are mostly filler.

Mentality Monsters

Bloody United Stand. Sick of them on a one man mission to support Donny FC. Sharing Daily Mail articles.

They really are Uniteds version of AFTV. Embarrassing.
I used to like Goldbridge, he's a real life Alan Partridge, but gone right off him and the channel. He knows his audience and he delibaretly sets out to be divisive and to create divisions in the fanbase. Like you said, they're another AFTV platform.

Baneofthegame

He may as well move on at this point, is behind Lingard now in the rotation and has barely been given a chance while he has been here.

Stacks

Bet if Donny read this thread, even he would be baffled how his “performances” page has 57 pages for a guy that basically never plays.

Irrespective of anyone’s opinions on his ability, can’t blame him for fuming after being denied the chance to play elsewhere, then seeing the absolute gash performances in front of you in midfield, and still can’t get a start or subbed on.

He might not be a 6, but I’m sure he can play it better than what we’ve seen from the others so far this season.
Exactly, it would be different if our other midfielders were playing well and creating chances but I seriously doubt anyone could argue Fred, McTominay or Matic are currently playing well (and will arguably never the be of level we need to return to the top). There's literally nothing to lose by giving him a chance right now, nothing.
That's why you have to feel sorry for the lad and also wonder what else is going on.
In games such as tonight and against Villa on Saturday, it's blatantly obvious that our midfield was lacking creativity and we have a guy who was one of the best, and most creative, midfielders in the champions League when we signed him, sitting there, rotting away on the bench, it's an absolute farce.
When you see him does he outshine the other terrible options we have? I have never seen him start in any of our positions and thought "gosh he has put in a performance superior to the other candidates." "This position is his now"

Foxbatt

Put yourself in his shoes. He is a professional football player. Not a fan. He played for a reputable club. Playing in CL and getting out of the group stages or playing in the last stages of the EL. I mean playing regularly. Not on the bench all the time and he is in the national squad with every chance of going to the WC or The Euros.
Then he is sold a porkie and goes to one of the biggest clubs in The World and paid well. I am sure he would not sacrifice his entire footballing future just to make extra money and sit on the bench always. Losing his place in The Dutch squad and not playing in the CL.
He probably had already asked for a transfer and the club don't want to sell him because he cost 48 million and don't want to bring down the price.
I say get rid of him and give him the chance to get his career back on.

yipthatman

I don't care too much whether he stays and fights for minutes or goes. I'm not interested in players who are not prepared to sacrifice themselves for the team. He has had minutes, he will get more. It's a squad. Managers decision is final.

Gumgate was a bit petulant but I would take this passion over Martials apathy anyday (even though I think Martial technically is tons better than VDB).

NewYorkRed

He has completely, completely been mismanaged. Just ask yourself this: if Jose had been doing this, how many of us would be saying this is another KDB/Salah in the making? Yeah, almost all of us. Ole has destroyed the lad. He looked good against West Ham, the others have looked consistently shite, why not give him a run? Shocking.

Should have sold him if we were just going to ruin him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Have to admit I havent seen any of that thus far.
How many games do you need?

Wolves away, Everton home (friendly) Young Boys away, West Ham home.

Plenty of chances to see him playing in the deeper midfield role, something he's done really well in.

He deserves a chance to show he can make that role his own. Mctominay has been awful the last few matches and rushed back from injury.

git_united

Donny and Matic should start every match in which we'll be on the front foot. Sub Matic off after 60 so he doesn't break down. Donny has shown that he can handle that responsibility and is more likely to make a late run into the box. He can be also be a younger version of Herrera and a midfield 3 with Matic and Pogba.

Baneofthegame

When you see him does he outshine the other terrible options we have? I have never seen him start in any of our positions and thought "gosh he has put in a performance superior to the other candidates." "This position is his now"
Playing a cup game with other rotational players then being dropped next game regardless, is hardly a chance to establish yourself, can’t remember him playing 3 games in a row since he’d been here, I could be mistaken.

He'sRaldo

An unproven manager showing favouritism to average players, while achieving nothing of note, was always going to result in something like this.

There's no excuse for Donny to stay. His competition isn't miles better. The manager isn't a big name who can convince him to be content on the bench. And we're not winning any major trophies. He loses nothing by pushing for a move.

Bristol_Red_87

He must sit on the bench and think how am I not getting minutes ahead of McFred or Matic?

Hard to disagree with his thoughts in all honesty, although the fact is, he doesn't fit our system and that's ultimately why he'll be moved on in January.

Darlington Padgett

Once Rashford is back. We'll probably see a few more players in a similar situation to Donny. Is part of having a big squad, you can't play everyone.
But it must be hard to be behind a player like Fred.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He has completely, completely been mismanaged. Just ask yourself this: if Jose had been doing this, how many of us would be saying this is another KDB/Salah in the making? Yeah, almost all of us. Ole has destroyed the lad. He looked good against West Ham, the others have looked consistently shite, why not give him a run? Shocking.

KDB/Salah in the making? Give me a break. The guy is one of the most passive players I've been in a United shirt. Little defensive awareness and always looking for a safe pass when he has possession. A total anti-United footballer if I've ever seen one.

You lot are praising him for the WH game but for some reason overlooking the fact that if he had tracked his man they wouldn't have scored. Ball watching and zero awareness of his surroundings.

Hopefully he leaves in January so that his cult following can pipe down a bit and we can use the money to sign an actual midfielder.

Stacks

Playing a cup game with other rotational players then being dropped next game regardless, is hardly a chance to establish yourself, can’t remember him playing 3 games in a row since he’d been here, I could be mistaken.
Also he seems to play different positions very often so its hard to know what is actual position is

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Totally agree. But it is confusing why Ole did not do it to Pogba when he said (a couple of times) he wanted to leave.

Fluctuation0161

I used to like Goldbridge, he's a real life Alan Partridge, but gone right off him and the channel. He knows his audience and he delibaretly sets out to be divisive and to create divisions in the fanbase. Like you said, they're another AFTV platform.
Absolutely. Generating clicks is their main goal. Supporting the club is secondary.

Donny actually played almost as much as Dan James (who many complained got to many chances) last season (1521 min vs 1456 min).
This season Donny has played more than in form English international Jesse Lingard.

This Donny-cult is a bit over the top..

Fluctuation0161

I think they are asking the question a lot of us are asking: why is Donny here if he's never going to get a shot? That being said, I wouldn't ever rely on the United Stand as a news source. I do enjoy the segments with Ince and Romano and I like the post-match panels with Adam and the rest, but the daily segments are mostly filler.
They also love driving these questions being asked further because it gets them views.

L1nk

I don't care too much whether he stays and fights for minutes or goes. I'm not interested in players who are not prepared to sacrifice themselves for the team. He has had minutes, he will get more. It's a squad. Managers decision is final.

Gumgate was a bit petulant but I would take this passion over Martials apathy anyday (even though I think Martial technically is tons better than VDB).
There's sacrificing yourself for the team and then there's being bought to be nothing but a bench warmer whilst you watch your young career go down the toilet, fair enough if he actually came on and Ole rotated, but he does not and this guy has barely gotten a sniff since he stepped foot here. Managers decision is final but you honestly gonna tell me you'd be sat there as a professional footballer watching the crap Fred and McTominay churn out on a weekly basis, knowing you've certainly never done worse than them and watch them get chance after chance whilst you are still sat on your ass, you'd hate it. Ole is playing favourites and he's mismanaged this poorly, fair enough if we had prime Keane and Scholes in the middle you'd excuse him not getting much of a look in, but jesus christ McFred are just terrible and Matic can barely walk, there isn't a single reason other than Ole being petulant and playing favourites that we haven't played him more.

Then you'll say well clearly he isn't good enough then, well fine! Why the hell didn't we sell him in the summer when we had offers then and actually bought a good midfielder we'd use? It's completely mind blowing that not only do we not bother playing him but we didn't sell him either, complete mismanagement.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Sviken

KDB/Salah in the making? Give me a break. The guy is one of the most passive players I've been in a United shirt. Little defensive awareness and always looking for a safe pass when he has possession. A total anti-United footballer if I've ever seen one.

You lot are praising him for the WH game but for some reason overlooking the fact that if he had tracked his man they wouldn't have scored. Ball watching and zero awareness of his surroundings.

Hopefully he leaves in January so that his cult following can pipe down a bit and we can use the money to sign an actual midfielder.
You're kidding with this post, right? His performance against West Ham was great. He gave us what we desperately needed - retaining possession, controlling the game, making forward passes:

It is the first time we looked convincing in anything. In the Young Boys game he performed very well in a deeper position, as well. And it was no wonder we collapsed after he was subbed. Also, I don't know where this nonsense comes off that McFred are better than him in breaking play and tackling. Donny showcased more of that in a single game than McFred have for an entire season. We never looked threatened at all in that West Ham game. Yes, we were absolutely toothless up front because Ole had the bright idea to rotate our entire attack, but we dominated that game and for once our midfield wasn't bypassed like a walking pole. Why not try for more of that?

And as far as the goal for West Ham, if I remember correctly Donny was actually compensating for Matic not guarding his man. Okay, it was his fault he rushed forward for the ball and the ball had a nasty deflection, but it wasn't his positioning that was the problem. Ole is just too negative for a player like Donny, there is nothing more to this story. We sell him and watch him tear it up with another manager that actually knows what to do with him, but at this point that is for the better because Ole is clueless on the matter and we're wasting money and Donny is wasting his time.

HailtotheKing

Yeah, it was really immature and pointless. We were still chasing the game at the time and he made it about himself.
Yeah, I don't exactly think it was pre-meditated, it was the natural response and frustration of someone that repeatedly hasn't been given a chance despite clearly being promised one. And repeatedly seeing other players performing badly and still being picked ahead of him. It's not even about whether he's better than the other players at this point. It's about form. If you're not performing you shouldn't be in the team, simple as. By continuously picking players who aren't performing you're sending a message to the rest of the squad that performance doesn't matter, so what's the point? Very bad management

Also, in Donny's case, he was also prevented from going on loan to Everton where he could've played and got in the Dutch squad.
He simply wants to play, and I respect that. Instead of these other players that are happy to just sit on the bench and steal a wage.

El Zoido

The midfield is still a problem, and he’s a midfielder. He could be a great asset, I really wouldn’t have a problem with him starting against Everton. McT doesn’t even really play as a DMF so I don’t see why he couldn’t just come in for him. Fred/VDB midfield could work imo.

L1nk

You're kidding with this post, right? His performance against West Ham was great. He gave us what we desperately needed - retaining possession, controlling the game, making forward passes:

It is the first time we looked convincing in anything. In the Young Boys game he performed very well in a deeper position, as well. And it was no wonder we collapsed after he was subbed. Also, I don't know where this nonsense comes off that McFred are better than him in breaking play and tackling. Donny showcased more of that in a single game than McFred have for an entire season. We never looked threatened at all in that West Ham game. Yes, we were absolutely toothless up front because Ole had the bright idea to rotate our entire attack, but we dominated that game and for once our midfield wasn't bypassed like a walking pole. Why not try for more of that?

And as far as the goal for West Ham, if I remember correctly Donny was actually compensating for Matic not guarding his man. Okay, it was his fault he rushed forward for the ball and the ball had a nasty deflection, but it wasn't his positioning that was the problem. Ole is just too negative for a player like Donny, there is nothing more to this story. We sell him and watch him tear it up with another manager that actually knows what to do with him, but at this point that is for the better because Ole is clueless on the matter and we're wasting money and Donny is wasting his time.
What gets me about this video is his quick passing, yes sometimes its sidewards, but look at the forward passes he does make, quick and incisive, we are so badly missing that it's unreal, that and his ability to avoid the press, which most of our players cannot seem to do.

Esquire

How many games do you need?

Wolves away, Everton home (friendly) Young Boys away, West Ham home.

Plenty of chances to see him playing in the deeper midfield role, something he's done really well in.

He deserves a chance to show he can make that role his own. Mctominay has been awful the last few matches and rushed back from injury.
I agree VDB deserves a run of game because he cannot do worse than Fred. But in reality the conversation has moved past this point and for the good of his career, and now that he is starting to act up, he should go in Jan. What a feck up all around. Scouting department and also Ole deserves some scrutiny for spending 40m on a player who really didn’t fit into our system.

luke511

Him kicking off the other night and changing his position to a deeper role to get minutes are fine examples of passivity. In one of the rare times he's started in our strongest XI, is this a typical anti-united performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.