Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was one of the better players against West Ham in a game we lost in the Carabao cup?

Cool now I get why everyone acts like we have the reincarnation of Xavi on our bench everytime we lose or draw.
Maybe more an over the top opinion than an overrated one. :D I don’t think anyone thinks Van De Beek is an amazing midfielder. He does move the ball better than the lads we’re playing though, and it might make us a bit more entertaining if we give him a run. Hell id pick me or you over McFred at the moment.

Witchking

I am almost entirely sure that you are being obtuse.

He never made his name in a 2 man midfield, our midfield is shite and he has never shown enough in that role to start there, he has played for us a number of times and looked okay at best.

Yet he is going to be the answer to our issues? It is just pure desperation to be this eager for him to start out of position.
If you read my posts properly I said he needs to be tested with a run of games. He cannot play in Bruno's position. Mcfred have been bad so that's the position vdb can play. He has already said, he just wants to play.Yet you assume that I am saying he is the second coming of xavi. Let's just move on and agree to disagree.

OverratedOpinion

If you read my posts properly I said he needs to be tested with a run of games. He cannot play in Bruno's position. Mcfred have been bad so that's the position vdb can play. He has already said, he just wants to play.Yet you assume that I am saying he is the second coming of xavi. Let's just move on and agree to disagree.
I don't really disagree in essence.

It is fine if he plays, he has just shown nothing to say it will be any better (or really any worse) in that area of the pitch.

Not just at Utd either.

Unfortunately I think the only thing actually worth saying about this signing is criticism of Ole as to why he signed an attacking midfielder at the time he did. It made no sense.

Tony247

Neither is good enough in a midfield 2.

It doesn't fecking matter.
Donny is definitely better in ball distribution. As fred can't defend, donny's tracking is much better than him. Before joining united donny was shorlisted for ballon d'ore ffs. He is at wrong team, I give that, but not playing him over fred or McT given their recent form is cardinal sin.

OverratedOpinion

Donny is definitely better in ball distribution. As fred can't defend, donny's tracking is much better than him. Before joining united donny was shorlisted for ballon d'ore ffs. He is at wrong team, I give that, but not playing him over fred or McT given their recent form is cardinal sin.
Signing the wrong player was a cardinal sin.

Ronaldo has won the Balon dore more than anyone and if we signed him because we needed a right back then proceeded to not play him there then the issue would not be not playing him, it would be why the feck did we sign Ronaldo when we desperately needed a right back. Doucoure went for less the same summer.

R'hllor

Every player needs time to settle. Has he been given any time to do that? 5 mins here and there and suddenly he is expected to win games and get assists? Pogba after over 5 years cannot say he had made the midfield his own but vdb is supposed to do that with sub appearances?
You have to love when people use amount of games instead of total minutes, its really convenient

Sylar

How much do you reckon we can get for him? 30m? We should sell, and use that to get a position we badly need (which is a matic replacement)

Sviken

It's funny to me the length some people would go to defend Ole's baffling decisions. "He is unproven" (despite playing CL in Ajax under a far better manager and Ole himself having not given him a single consecutive start for 2 seasons now). "He isn't defensively solid enough" (despite the fact that McFred has conceded at least 2-3 clear cut chances almost every game and constantly giving up posession with zero press, being absolutely invisible for most of the game). "He is not good enough" (despite him showing more potential in the 2 games he's played this season, despite getting zero minutes in regardless, than McFred have shown this entire season). And we go to the most ridiculous of all - well, he's probably shit in training. Well, how do we know? Just trust Ole's word and inshallah?

This argument is ridiculous. Ole is just completely clueless and it shows. He'd continue to pick McFred and ironically they are the ones who are going to cost him the job the most (although not the only ones).

luke511

I am almost entirely sure that you are being obtuse.

He never made his name in a 2 man midfield, our midfield is shite and he has never shown enough in that role to start there, he has played for us a number of times and looked okay at best.

Yet he is going to be the answer to our issues? It is just pure desperation to be this eager for him to start out of position.
I don't really disagree in essence.

It is fine if he plays, he has just shown nothing to say it will be any better (or really any worse) in that area of the pitch.

Not just at Utd either.

Unfortunately I think the only thing actually worth saying about this signing is criticism of Ole as to why he signed an attacking midfielder at the time he did. It made no sense.
He's very rarely started in the double pivot but when he has he's looked good so I'm not sure which game this passionate opinion is based off. Nobody is expecting him to instantly transform the team but he's a better footballer than McTominay and on another level to Fred technically, yet he's suffered more than anyone in terms of minutes and rotation, to the point where it feels personal. Fans have good reason to complain about the injustice given how shit McFred is at the moment.

Esquire

It's funny to me the length some people would go to defend Ole's baffling decisions. "He is unproven" (despite playing CL in Ajax under a far better manager and Ole himself having not given him a single consecutive start for 2 seasons now). "He isn't defensively solid enough" (despite the fact that McFred has conceded at least 2-3 clear cut chances almost every game and constantly giving up posession with zero press, being absolutely invisible for most of the game). "He is not good enough" (despite him showing more potential in the 2 games he's played this season, despite getting zero minutes in regardless, than McFred have shown this entire season). And we go to the most ridiculous of all - well, he's probably shit in training. Well, how do we know? Just trust Ole's word and inshallah?

This argument is ridiculous. Ole is just completely clueless and it shows. He'd continue to pick McFred and ironically they are the ones who are going to cost him the job the most (although not the only ones).
McFred save his job last year. That’s where the blind trust and obstinate loyalty comes from. I agree with you, he keeps persisting with this pair they will lead to his downfall. McFred were much better last year but neither of them justify a starting role this season. Their levels have fallen off dramatically. Keep playing them and hopping for a result is not working.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
When you see him does he outshine the other terrible options we have? I have never seen him start in any of our positions and thought "gosh he has put in a performance superior to the other candidates." "This position is his now"
If you're watching Fred, McTominay and Matic saunter about and offer nothing going forward and still don't think Van De Beek is at least worth a shot, then I give up, we don't really deserve much more than mediocrity if this doesn't change asap.

Pscholes18

If I'm DVB, I'm screaming at my agent to get me the feck out of there. Ole is never going to give him a good run barring any serious injuries.

lex talionis

We're beyond farce now as it pertains to Donny. At this point it's best for Donny's reputation as a footballer to remain benched while this shit in midfield is being served up match after match. I assume he's on comfortable wages so no complaints from him on that account, but like any professional athlete he believes in himself and if Ole continues to freeze him out someone upstairs will take notice and sell him either in January on in the summer.

A shame, of course, but the Rubicon has been crossed and we shouldn't expect to see him on the pitch other than in cameo appearances or in the event of an injury crisis.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Has Donny ever actually started back to back games for us?

People say he's never shown anything to warrant starting... But he's never really been given a fair chance to prove himself.

OrcaFat

I suppose he does not do enough in training.

He’s been promising in little spells in matches but then he starts making bizarre runs out of position. His instinct is to push forward and play his little give-and-go stuff around the box. I think his best chance is to turn himself into a busy no.8, he has the skill set if he applies himself. With Fred’s patchy form he would be worth another look in CM.

But he has to take his chance when he gets it. Steady and disciplined is what he needs to be, I feel.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If Donny did what Fred did for the goal we conceded today that would be enough justification for him to never play for us again. Despite that Fred will keep starting most of our games and Donny will keep that bench warm.

OrcaFat

If Donny did what Fred did for the goal we conceded today that would be enough justification for him to never play for us again. Despite that Fred will keep starting most of our games and Donny will keep that bench warm.
Probably but it’s Fred’s spot he needs to go after. He’s miles away from justifying this but I could see him playing with a Rice type if we get one. McFred as backups.

lex talionis

If Donny did what Fred did today we’d never even see him on the bench again. Strange how Ole has his favorites no matter what, but this is probably true of a lot of managers.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Probably but it’s Fred’s spot he needs to go after. He’s miles away from justifying this but I could see him playing with a Rice type if we get one. McFred as backups.
When that day comes my friend ...

If Donny did what Fred did today we’d never even see him on the bench again. Strange how Ole has his favorites no matter what, but this is probably true of a lot of managers.
It's much harder to justify when your favorites are playing so poorly. I remember Mourinho with Ivanovic and a couple other examples where it cost people their jobs.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Has Donny ever actually started back to back games for us?

People say he's never shown anything to warrant starting... But he's never really been given a fair chance to prove himself.
Nope, his starts tends to come once a month.

I'll be pissed if I were him. Basically got conned into believing he would play an important role in the team and ended up on the bench with the competition all playing like shit.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Donny is neither here nor there.

If Ole can't make McFred work to acceptable standards in his preferred setup, there's zero chance of Donny being some kind of saviour (one that is bizarrely ignored according to some people).

In short - we obviously need at least one central midfielder who is a) better and b) more consistent than any of our current options. But if Donny actually turns out to be that player, it'd be a huge surprise (and that has absolutely nothing to do with Ole's management).

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s by no means the answer and could actually be worse, but surely Ole watches us in CM and must think, he can’t do any worse so worth a try…

We’re dreadful in CM, at this point it would be reasonable to give Jones another game there.

Ixion

Ole was talking about having experience being a sub and making an impact like it applies to Donny but he's come off the bench once all season for 5 minutes.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How must Donny feel when he sees Pogba playing when he has said on more than one occasion that he wants to leave and also is probably not going to sign a contract. Terrible man management by Ole.

If it were Ferguson or Pep, he would have thrown Pogba into the reserves and told to either apologize or go. Pep did that with Yaya.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can't imagine being Donny at the moment, must be very frustrating seeing McFred for the millionth time stink it up and you're still unable to get a look in.

lex talionis

I can't imagine being Donny at the moment, must be very frustrating seeing McFred for the millionth time stink it up and you're still unable to get a look in.
This, and the previous post as well. Imagine an agent for McTominay or Fred calling up Ajax management. A good laugh would be had before the phone hangs up.

Absolutely incredible, this shit.

Lyng

I think it would be interesting to see a midfield with Pogba and Donnie.
Yes it would be defensively very vulnerable but so is the current one. On the other hand I do believe their supperior composure and passing would lead to us being much better at keeping the ball and staying in control .

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think it would be interesting to see a midfield with Pogba and Donnie.
Yes it would be defensively very vulnerable but so is the current one. On the other hand I do believe their supperior composure and passing would lead to us being much better at keeping the ball and staying in control .
I agree, and it would definitely be no more vulnerable than what we are currently seeing. Fred's defensive contribution seems to be non-existent. Todays goals being a prime example of him looking to be a dead cert to get to the ball, only to bounce off the player twice and be left for dead. VDB has looked relatively solid when he's played. Nothing outstanding, but reliable at best.

I'd be keen to see a midfield of Pogba and VDB too, because I just cant see any midfield being worse than a midfield containing Fred or McT.

The consensus on VDB is that he's shown nothing since signing, but Fred has continually been a liability. I don't believe that VDB is the answer long-term, but there has to be a point where the Fred and McT midfield reaches breaking point of being ineffectual and calamitous. Somehow their place in the team is invincible.

FatTails

I don’t think he is the saviour that will make everything better, or that he’s a superstar or anythin, but I can’t see anything that McTominay does better than him. You can argue Fred brings a lot more energy and is a better “destroyer”, but I just don’t see it with McTominay. How much worse can Donny realistically be?

SeanyC

Doesn’t matter, he’ll be gone in January if this keeps up, with LVG in charge of the Dutch and the WC coming up he will be handing in a transfer request for sure

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The rare momznts he gets a chance, just imagine the pressure it must be for him. Not easy to perform at best when your manager doesn't trust you.
On the other hand you have McFred who can do and play as badly as they want, they know their gametime won't be impacted that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.