5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dve

Yesterday vs Atalanta,Donny did in 2 minutes what McTominay and Fred couldn't do in 3 years. Sums up the horrible manage we are saddled with.
You don´t understand Fred and McTominay´s role in the team. They are there mostly for what they do without the ball - which would be around 96% of the game. Fred´s pressing game is world class (as per statistics).

Andersons Dietician

I’ve taken longer poops than the amount of time he and Sancho were on the field last night but was a decent little cameo from both. Not long enough for either.

Dve

What are you even talking about? He hasn't been good for weeks. And no manager (save for clueless Ole) would put up with his shit for so long. A player that is about to leave has no right playing games, especially when he seldom contributes to anything.
The whole team have been shit for weeks. Easiest thing in the world to be a genius in hindsight. And he didn´t play in the weekend, and neither will he play the coming weekend. No reason at all to expect such a bad game from him.

romufc

Pogba was there for his long passes, as we have seen he can be world class at on many other occasions. Pogba + Rashford looked like a good idea. Donny does not have that in his repertoar.

Pogba had a stinker, though, I´ll give you that, but it´s not like that was granted before the game.

Pogba has been poor for us for a while now, he has 3/4 good games and he is world class for some reason. Pogba has world class ability for sure, but he is not a world class player for United.

I mean in the midfield, he has had more stinkers than WC performances this season, he played well playing LW when he could cheat and not track back like the rest of our wingers.

How do you know Donny can't pass long? I can also tell you he is better presser, and more press resistant than Pogba though.

Fletchageddon

The problem with Pogba is that when he decides to play he is the best in the world. The rest of the time he's below average.

I hope Donny gets a run in the team now in Pogba's place. The problem is Donny wants/excels in Bruno's role really and it's hard to argue that Bruno deserves to lose his place.

He was very positive last night let's hope he gets some time to prove himself.

Sviken

The whole team have been shit for weeks.
Don't give me that crap. Pogba and McFred have been particularly gash for quite a while. This type of performance is nothing new. The last time Pogba played even remotely decent was the Newcastle game.

Grande

I’ve taken longer poops than the amount of time he and Sancho were on the field last night but was a decent little cameo from both. Not long enough for either.
If you’re really Anderson’s Dietician, that probably says more about your poops. But I agree, both Donny and Jadon were turned on, proactive and made stuff happen. Good cameos.

BattleAxeRed

You don´t understand Fred and McTominay´s role in the team. They are there mostly for what they do without the ball - which would be around 96% of the game. Fred´s pressing game is world class (as per statistics).
Well you don't understand what pressing is. Individuals don't press. Teams PRESS. Individuals JOCKEY calling Fred's supposed "pressing" world class is beyond laughable.
Now, you mentioned what they do "off the ball" as 96% .... that is why we are that bad in midfield because 96% of the time they don't know what their roles are.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Pity he didn't get the winner. Considering being off balance and the angle it was a good attempt at the far corner.

Dve

Pogba has been poor for us for a while now, he has 3/4 good games and he is world class for some reason. Pogba has world class ability for sure, but he is not a world class player for United.

I mean in the midfield, he has had more stinkers than WC performances this season, he played well playing LW when he could cheat and not track back like the rest of our wingers.

How do you know Donny can't pass long? I can also tell you he is better presser, and more press resistant than Pogba though.
I don´t know if Ronaldo is a good stopper either, for the same reason, I´ve never seen him try.

Foxbatt

I don´t know if Ronaldo is a good stopper either, for the same reason, I´ve never seen him try.
You don't because he is better as a forward. DVB had a good career before he moved to Manchester United so people can base their opinions on that. He played in midfield for one of the top clubs outside of the top 6. He played in the semifinal of the CL. He played for the Netherlands. All in midfield.

Bobski

His little cameo was different because in the vast majority of his other games he has just popped the ball back to the player he got it from and hid. He looked like he could make something happen for almost the first time, like he could impact the game.

Now it did show his best role is attacking, making runs into the box, still don't see a player who can control the game from deep, but as alternative to Bruno he has something

Dve

Well you don't understand what pressing is. Individuals don't press. Teams PRESS. Individuals JOCKEY calling Fred's supposed "pressing" world class is beyond laughable.
Now, you mentioned what they do "off the ball" as 96% .... that is why we are that bad in midfield because 96% of the time they don't know what their roles are.
There are individual stats for number of times players close down opponents, and how successful it is, you cannot argue with that. In these stats Fred is among the best in the world. He´s not very good on the ball, but for that specific thing, he´s good.

Dve

You don't because he is better as a forward. DVB had a good career before he moved to Manchester United so people can base their opinions on that. He played in midfield for one of the top clubs outside of the top 6. He played in the semifinal of the CL. He played for the Netherlands. All in midfield.
And there you saw evidence of him having good long passes?

steve.crowford

I'm watching Donny the whole time hoping he doesn't feck anything up so he hopefully gets 5 minutes the next match.

Dve

His little cameo was different because in the vast majority of his other games he has just popped the ball back to the player he got it from and hid. He looked like he could make something happen for almost the first time, like he could impact the game.

Now it did show his best role is attacking, making runs into the box, still don't see a player who can control the game from deep, but as alternative to Bruno he has something
We knew that already, no? That´s what he was doing for Ajax.

Foxbatt

Abs
And there you saw evidence of him having good long passes?
Absolutely. I don't mean long punts like you get in the PL. Ajax can play the short and long passing game. He was a very important cog in that team. By the way I have watched Ajax since the 70s so they are not a new team for me.

Artimities

I think yesterday was the beginning of a turning point for him. Pogba needs to be benched for his poor play, but I can see Donny really stepping it up.

NewYorkRed

Stop with the five at the back crap. This isn’t “lets avoid defeat to save Ole’s job” FC, this is ManUtd. Drop Pogba (suspended anyway), play Donny.

DDG
AWB Lind Slab (should be dropped tbh) Shaw
Fred DvB
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

That has to be the team. If it doesn’t work for, say, 4 games in a row, then try something else. But we haven’t looked good in a single game this year, so why not give that team a run, try to actually dominate the ball and see where that takes us? Let your best players play for a run of games together.

Sviken

Stop with the five at the back crap. This isn’t “lets avoid defeat to save Ole’s job” FC, this is ManUtd. Drop Pogba (suspended anyway), play Donny.

DDG
Fred DvB
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

That has to be the team. If it doesn’t work for, say, 4 games in a row, then try something else. But we haven’t looked good in a single game this year, so why not give that team a run, try to actually dominate the ball and see where that takes us? Let your best players play for a run of games together.
Problem isn't the formation, it's the complete lack of organization and inept coaching. Players obviously have very little idea what to do on the pitch, both offensively and defensively. But while we have a plethora of talent on the offensive side and can pull a goal out of our asses most of the time, on the defensive side - we're lacking. Varane is the only real one there and he has been plagued by injuries so far. Baily is also pretty good when he is on, but he's made of glass. This will never change, even if we buy VVD and pair him with Varane and both are healthy for a full season. Sure, we'll concede a lot less, but we'll still not be anywhere near stable at the back. The problem is easily fixable, but it would require something the board isn't willing to do.

The fact Slabhead is still playing and Donny hasn't been getting any games despite having done more than enough to deserve it speaks volumes. All I can hope for is that Ole is shown the door before Donny because I fear that if we lose Donny, he'll tear it up someplace else and that will bite us in the ass. I'm also sure Ole won't be tearing it anywhere else, though, so I'm calm on that front.

Foxbatt

DDG
Fred DvB
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

Back 5? At this rate we will have a back 10.

RedCurry

The problem with Pogba is that when he decides to play he is the best in the world. The rest of the time he's below average.
You can say that about a lot of mid table footballers. Many footballers can be world class on occasion. It doesn’t make them great footballers. It should be evident to anyone by now that Pogba is just not good enough plain and simple. If he is average in most games then he is an average footballer. Average footballers shouldn’t be keeping one of the more talented footballers on the bench. Like Martial, Pogba needs to be phased out of our squad. I would prefer to not see him being given another minute of football for us. Sure, he may produce a moment or two of quality but who is to say that DVB can’t produce many more?

Gandalf

Problem isn't the formation, it's the complete lack of organization and inept coaching. Players obviously have very little idea what to do on the pitch, both offensively and defensively.
Just to state up front that I do believe Ole needs to go but the bolded part here is frequently stated and frankly it is a huge cop out. I only played at an amateur level but I did not need the coach to spell out every movement I needed to make on the pitch and we have far too many players hiding behind this right now. If you are an experienced international pulling in millions in wages every year I don't want to hear about how you don't understand your role in a double pivot or that if you are on the wing you didn't know you were meant to cover for your full back because you did not get a post it note in your locker from Ole telling you that. The biggest problem is that too many of our current starting XI are lazy and ill disciplined.

Canucantona20

It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

See you in a month Donny

Dve

I think yesterday was the beginning of a turning point for him. Pogba needs to be benched for his poor play, but I can see Donny really stepping it up.
Donny, by all accounts, is set to leave in January, so I doubt we´ll see much for him. Besides, he´s not competing with Pogba, but with never injured Bruno. That´s where Donny has been a bit unlucky. Bruno is always fit.

Fletchageddon

You can say that about a lot of mid table footballers. Many footballers can be world class on occasion. It doesn’t make them great footballers. It should be evident to anyone by now that Pogba is just not good enough plain and simple. If he is average in most games then he is an average footballer. Average footballers shouldn’t be keeping one of the more talented footballers on the bench. Like Martial, Pogba needs to be phased out of our squad. I would prefer to not see him being given another minute of football for us. Sure, he may produce a moment or two of quality but who is to say that DVB can’t produce many more?
This was my sentiment exactly. He is a passenger and we need people to drive the team. Donny seems driven. I hope he gets q fair crack at the whip now.

romufc

I guess you don't watch the games and only watch highlights?

If you watch full games you would see Donny can pass, if you watched him for Ajax, you'd know Donny is a very intelligent player.

romufc

Abs
Absolutely. I don't mean long punts like you get in the PL. Ajax can play the short and long passing game. He was a very important cog in that team. By the way I have watched Ajax since the 70s so they are not a new team for me.
Apparently, the poster thinks only Pogba can make long passes, showing how little people know about Donny.

In a 5-3-2, I can guarantee him putting better performances than Pogba.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

If you watch full games you would see Donny can pass, if you watched him for Ajax, you'd know Donny is a very intelligent player.
wow 10 minutes of Donny in a United shirt, this must be full games footage for him :lol: :eek:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope he doesn't leave before Ole fecks off and I don't say this because I'm a fan of his particularly
If DVB leaves he will join another decent european club and be a star i'm sure of it.

People will be wondering "why he couldn't put these performances in a united shirt" instead of looking at the deeper rooted issues.

It's quite frustrating that in his last few matches has shown plenty of signs of improvement but barely given a sniff. Not even Jose was this tough with Mkhitaryan/Shaw/Martial ffs.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If DVB leaves he will join another decent european club and be a star i'm sure of it.

People will be wondering "why he couldn't put these performances in a united shirt" instead of looking at the deeper rooted issues.

It's quite frustrating that in his last few matches has shown plenty of signs of improvement but barely given a sniff. Not even Jose was this tough with Mkhitaryan/Shaw/Martial ffs.
That's what I feel. If a player is given enough chances and it doesn't work out then fair enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's what I feel. If a player is given enough chances and it doesn't work out then fair enough.
That's what i'm saying. There's been plenty of players who couldn't step up in the past, you say fair enough he wasn't quite good enough and let them move on.

He has not been given a chance at all. 1 Match every 6 weeks isn't at all. It's not like he's playing awful when given a chance either, his last few matches (wolves away, Everton home,Young boys away, West Ham home) were all decent performances.

Clearly he's never going to replace Fernandes we know that, but he can happily play 1 of the deeper midfield positions IMO. Unfortunately we don't seem to respect ball possession in midfield. It's all about running, being combative.

Longshanks

He should start the Derby ahead of one of mcfred. If the rumours that the coaches believe he isnt physically cut out for the PL (i think thats nonsense personally) that surely with pogba deffo out and mcfred in questionable form against the least physical side, and most technical side in the league he should start.

Of course he won't it will be mcfred and we will find ourselves under pressure unable to get out pinned back inside our own half with Fred taking too many touches and getting dispossed and mctominay just trying smash balls through the city press hopelessly. Can't wait.

Do feel sorry for him, no idea why he isn't being given his chance, only Ole knows.

Last edited:

Dve

And these clips are supposed to prove that Donny is good at long passes? No one questioned his ability to pass, but thanks for the contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.