5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewUser777

I'm guessing all the loud mouths in this thread who, with conviction, said that all Donny could ever do was play number 10, that he could only replace Fernandes on the pitch, that it was impossible for him to play deeper in midfield and all this nonsense will keep their mouths shut after he's clearly proved to be our best midfielder on the pitch in weeks and weeks within 45 minutes of football. Not only should he have had about 2/3 assists but it was evident that bringing on a midfielder that can actually play football helped the likes of Sancho as well who played vastly better when he came on
Not at all. I was spot on with my assessment of him. He wandered between false nine and number 10 all game. Even playing right wing. Quick short passes, and good at that he is. But that also looses balance in the middle. He played very good. Finally hard to drop. But that doesn’t make him a contender for central midfield. If so, we need to go 4-3-3. Just check his ball involvement heat map.

Ollie Derbyshire

Not at all. I was spot on with my assessment of him. He wandered between false nine and number 10 all game. Even playing right wing. Quick short passes, and good at that he is. But that also looses balance in the middle. He played very good. Finally hard to drop. But that doesn’t make him a contender for central midfield. If so, we need to go 4-3-3. Just check his ball involvement heat map.
Makes him a contender for our CM spot when we play the likes of McT and Matic who were atrocious as usua.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have criticized him in the past for not taking his opportunities but Donny showed up tonight. One of the handful that did. How has he not had chances before now this season?

Godfather

Going 4-3-3 was needed long time ago. Bruno doesn't justify a fecked up system. Not in the form he is in anyway.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You've been brainwashed. Midfielders don't have to stay tied together in the middle of the pitch and never move.

There's a reason we looked brighter and more offensive with him on the pitch, he actually created space with movement.

Name Changed

weso26
He isnt a CM. He is a 10. Not convinced he is the answer long term. Still he is better than Fred or Mctominay.
Do we actually need to play 2 dms together though? It's not as if any of the ones we have are that good. I'd rather see us playing one of them with Donny as a deep lying playmaker or box to box like he was today
McFred does not work. Matic is finished. Personally I'd prefer to see Donny playing than not.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Very good performance from Donny. Was super impressed by his attitude in particular.

Not only was he very good on the ball and always open for a pass, he was also very aggressive in the tackle.

Could have easily gone through the motions after the way OGS has treated him but put in a really professional performance. Absolute insanity that McFred has been playing over him. A great player for a new manager coming in
Again McFred mentioned as it is a one player, really take the quality of the comment down:confused: Like if McTominay has ever been on the same level as the Brazilian international.

Took us few seasons to figure out that good lad from Scotland is not good enough, despite absolute ridiculous praise & protection from Mourinho and SAF. But that's nothing against him. He certainly has done well enough to keep himself around, the manager should take responsibility for playing him week in and out being so inept to figure out he's just poor. Donny on the other hand should have been tried there for ages despite his not very promising cameos.

Albeit promising, one game against Watford proves nothing, hopefully he keeps getting himself motivated and never puts his quality out of question, because for me the tools are there but like with so many footballers before (notable mentiones like Mkhtaryan, Kagawa, di Maria) the mentality wasn't htere to play consistently on the biggest stage of world football) - so wishing DOnny well to start the next game and me personally I hope we have another at least Herrera level/type of player to be looking forward to be playing for us.

Ibi Dreams

Regardless, he should have been played more. I'm not saying he is "the answer" but he has obvious qualities and never even got a fair shot. And it's not like we've been playing so well it was hard to fit him in, our midfield has been wank all season and Bruno should have at least been rotated a bit as well.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Do we actually need to play 2 dms together though? It's not as if any of the ones we have are that good. I'd rather see us playing one of them with Donny as a deep lying playmaker or box to box like he was today
McFred does not work. Matic is finished. Personally I'd prefer to see Donny playing than not.
We shouldn't even need 1 dm against Watford, but under Ole we need 2...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a crime that he has hardly played, he's so good on the ball.

Foxbatt

Probably his best game for United. Showed more passion for the club and ability than the rest of the team today - incisive passes, great instinctive finish and took out 1 or 2 Watford players with crazy challenges that still look somewhat controlled :lol: :lol:. That said, he hasn't played like this before for us and hopefully he can press on from this game. It shocked me seeing a United CM who could tackle, play out of the press and pass longer than 10 yards regularly.
What do you mean by his best game? I do not think he has even played a full 90 minutes for United this season yet. 5 mins here and a 10 mins there is not a game.

TSE123

Good game. Best player for united second half!
Should definitely get more gametime

lost7

Stellar performance, scored a goal and his passing was top notch

Sviken

He really could be one of our star players if we get a good manager. Him and Sancho are absolute class, we just need someone that knows how to utilize them. To sell him without even giving him a chance would be criminal

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think I saw what I always thought- VDB is better with matic than when he played with Fred or Mctominay. It's the same with Pogba, better with Matic than with Fred or Mctominay.

None of them are CDM and the only one is Matic, a CDM is needed to get the best out of players like VDB or Pogba.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He was good today. Kind of reminded me of why I thought he was a decent player at Ajax.

He is however, not a cm. The goal he scored today. That perfectly encapsulates what he is. A sort of poaching attacking midfielder who "attacks the space". :wenger:

Bobski

People acting like this was his first strong performance for us :lol:
It is by far his best performance for the club.

A quick google shows 2 websites(Footmob + Kickest- not sure how reliable they are) having him at 3 key passes in the PL all of last season, he must have had 4 or 5 in a half today.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His 'treatment' last season was fine. At the start of the season he started most cup games and came on as a sub in most league games. Fairly normal for a player who doesn't hit the ground running. After a while his continual poor and timid performances ended up with him dropping down the pecking order and his chances declined a fair bit.

However his performances at the end of last season and in his few opportunities this season have definitely warranted more chances than he's had this season. He's been showing much more aggressiveness, been much more forceful in making things happen and just been looking far more promising in general. Not amazing or anything, but it's been enough that (combined with how poor the rest of the midfield have been) he should have been given more opportunities.

tomaldinho1

I can see him becoming a proper cult hero once Ole goes and he fights his way into the team (if he doesn’t leave).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I can see him becoming a proper cult hero once Ole goes and he fights his way into the team (if he doesn’t leave).
If Pogba and Lingard decide to leave (likely), we're not in a position to let VDB go. Assuming we even get a DM in, we're still a midfielder short IMO.

luke511

It was his best by a distance.
It is by far his best performance for the club.

A quick google shows 2 websites(Footmob + Kickest- not sure how reliable they are) having him at 3 key passes in the PL all of last season, he must have had 4 or 5 in a half today.
Yeah it could be, I meant it wasn't his first strong performance for us like some posters are making out.

ShinjiNinja26

This could be the best day for Donny as a Manchester Utd player. Gets a goal and puts in an excellent performance when he came on and now it could all be topped off with the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Status
Not open for further replies.