Position: Midfielder - Central
Foot: Right
Player Agent: PUM
Squad Number: #34
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2025
Contract option: Option for a further year
Outfitter: Adidas

romufc

Can we mould him into a CM? He is so efficient with the ball that he can almost play us out of trouble when required?

The only problem is that he likes to make the late run in the box, so its similar to what Bruno tends to do.

ghagua

Pair him with a proper defensive midfielder and I think he will do a great job of running into the box. If McTominay can do the job then fine, otherwise get someone more competent. I just don't trust Fred enough to have him play that role. A very good player, just needs the opportunity to showcase his talent.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll say the same thing I said last season. Either we develop him to play number 8/6 in the double pivot or sell him because he never going to be a number 10 at a top club. Yes he makes good runs but he can still do that from number 8 and I think he gets on the ball far better. If Ole was willing to risk it I think, he might get some payoff this season trying him deeper.

Andersons Dietician

I’ll say the same thing I said last season. Either we develop him to play number 8/6 in the double pivot or sell him because he never going to be a number 10 at a top club. Yes he makes good runs but he can still do that from number 8 and I think he gets on the ball far better. If Ole was willing to risk it I think, he might get some payoff this season trying him deeper.
Personally I hope we move away from the use of a number 10 but kinda agree as long as we play in a way that has one he’s unlikely to shift Bruno.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have high hopes for him. He should be used us Fred understudy if we're resting him. Definitely looks like a central midfielder more than anything else.

My only worry is he seems to have very low stamina. Always looked exhausted after 60/70'.

Pickle85

I have high hopes for him. He should be used us Fred understudy if we're resting him. Definitely looks like a central midfielder more than anything else.

My only worry is he seems to have very low stamina. Always looked exhausted after 60/70'.
Really? Not seen that in him at all. He can pop a five yard pass off to the nearest player first time with the best of them but can't see that he offers anything like the energy or defensive attributes that Fred offers (I know Fred isn't a particularly defensive midfielder but think that says more about vdb than Fred. His pressing always seems largely ineffective and even when he has the ball he seems to want rid of it as quickly and easily as possible. Definitely can't see him as a cm. Not even a Fred understudy. We'd be walked through in the middle of the park.

tomaldinho1

This is all we need to say in honesty and it's been clear from day one. Wasted in our system as a 10 but can definitely be an asset in a CM pair. If there's no plans to play him there just recoup what we can because it's pointless him being in the squad for the sake of just having him there.

For me he has to start playing with Fred or McT (only one) when we're at home to teams like the newly promoted bunch and Burnley, Palace, Wolves etc and domestic cups. We need to keep possession a hell of a lot better higher up the pitch and there's no need for McFred against teams who just want to sit back all game. That alone is probably the best part of 20+ games a season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Really? Not seen that in him at all. He can pop a five yard pass off to the nearest player first time with the best of them but can't see that he offers anything like the energy or defensive attributes that Fred offers (I know Fred isn't a particularly defensive midfielder but think that says more about vdb than Fred. His pressing always seems largely ineffective and even when he has the ball he seems to want rid of it as quickly and easily as possible. Definitely can't see him as a cm. Not even a Fred understudy. We'd be walked through in the middle of the park.
He is physically weak (like Fred), so the defensive part of the game for sure is a worry. But overall I had a feeling he understands the role and made a few good tackles and blocks in each game. Obviously I'm not talking about him holding a midfield on his own though.

In the build-up phase In really like how he makes himself available for a pass, it is exactly what I want to see from a midfielder. He has a calming impact because his technique enables him to have that extra half a second on the ball.

All of that is obviously on average level, not enough to play first XI but I'd like Donny given a chance here and there (maybe give Fred a rest after 60'). Also we need to consider he was never a regular player so it's understandable he's not performing well. I'm still hoping for Fred kind of transformation.

Pickle85

He is physically weak (like Fred), so the defensive part of the game for sure is a worry. But overall I had a feeling he understands the role and made a few good tackles and blocks in each game. Obviously I'm not talking about him holding a midfield on his own though.

In the build-up phase In really like how he makes himself available for a pass, it is exactly what I want to see from a midfielder. He has a calming impact because his technique enables him to have that extra half a second on the ball.

All of that is obviously on average level, not enough to play first XI but I'd like Donny given a chance here and there (maybe give Fred a rest after 60'). Also we need to consider he was never a regular player so it's understandable he's not performing well. I'm still hoping for Fred kind of transformation.
Fair enough... I'd love for him to come good too. There's still time, TBF and stranger things have happened.

Hughes35

Some people on here are going to be very disappointed when he is still useless this season.

If he turns out to be average I'd be delighted.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I hope we see the real DvB this season.

As a fan base, let’s try not to give up on him just yet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has the advantage of a full preseason, at least. Personally I think he should be sold this summer whilst his value is still high — I could have seen Ajax offering us around 60% or so of what we paid for him if we were facilitating it. We could’ve then used that money to invest in a proper midfielder that fits, but heyho.

dinostar77

I hope we see the real DvB this season.

As a fan base, let’s try not to give up on him just yet.
Me too. Theres a player we havent got anywhere near utilising to his full potential. I read recently Ajax coaches think he's the best 10/8 we have in our team (bruno and pogba included). They really rate him that highly. So did real madrid who were going to buy him until covid happen.

So hopefully we will see the real DVB this season, the one that impressed ajax coaches, real madrid and our scouts.

Bondi77

Me too. Theres a player we havent got anywhere near utilising to his full potential. I read recently Ajax coaches think he's the best 10/8 we have in our team (bruno and pogba included). They really rate him that highly. So did real madrid who were going to buy him until covid happen.

So hopefully we will see the real DVB this season, the one that impressed ajax coaches, real madrid and our scouts.
So where have you read that coaches reckon he is better than Bruno and Pogba?

dinostar77

So where have you read that coaches reckon he is better than Bruno and Pogba?
It was during the season just gone. Was a direct quote from ajax coaches. It suprised me at the time that they rated him that highly. But he is one of their own and they have known him since he was a boy. I'd have to go googling to try to find the article.

DWelbz19

I’m not surprised. Fernandes with his 70% pass accuracy would be burned at the stake if he ever played under an Ajax coach — the legacy of Johan Cruijff and total football must be preserved!

romufc

I’m not surprised. Fernandes with his 70% pass accuracy would be burned at the stake if he ever played under an Ajax coach — the legacy of Johan Cruijff and total football must be preserved!
What % accuracy is required to play under an ajax coach?

Just for your information, Bruno's pass accuracy was 78% last season, if you compare to a more possession based team of City, KDB had 81%, does that mean KDB wouldn't be able to play under an Ajax coach either?

Roosney

Kagawa v2.0 written all over this. Great player but seems to struggle with getting into the team and the league

DWelbz19

What % accuracy is required to play under an ajax coach?

Just for your information, Bruno's pass accuracy was 78% last season, if you compare to a more possession based team of City, KDB had 81%, does that mean KDB wouldn't be able to play under an Ajax coach either?
Take a breather brother, it’s a Friday. If you couldn’t tell from the tone, the post was just a bit tongue in cheek. Ajax philosophy is all about give and go, passing triangles etc. Players like Fernandes and De Bruyne are obviously world class players but the footballing purists of the world would sniff their noses at them a bit because of things like carelessness with their passes. We’ve got a couple of them on here!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Kagawa v2.0 written all over this. Great player but seems to struggle with getting into the team and the league
How would he look in Dortmund's team? They're not crying out for a player like him but he would probably work well there

Idxomer

He isn't a great player.

He could be good in the right system, that's it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Bit worried he hasn't been seen in training yet. Should never have went to the euros...

Nonsense, Ziyech must've had a similar low passing accuracy back at Ajax.

Donny's been playing it safe for us because he's scared of making a mistake. Also he's not very capable at seeing or making a difficult passes.

I’ll say the same thing I said last season. Either we develop him to play number 8/6 in the double pivot or sell him because he never going to be a number 10 at a top club.
You don't know that. He's not gonna fit as a 10 for us, but any other top club? It's his best and most natural position. His biggest strength is finding that late run into box to capitalize on other creative players around him. His problem for us in that position is that we're playing around Bruno, our most creative player. If you just give Donny the ball, he's not going to do anything interesting with it. They're different type of no 10's and Donny is a bit limited.

Maybe he can do a Klaassen, reinvent himself as a CM and become a slightly better McTominay. If not, he'll do fine for a club where they need a similar type of no 10. Goals are goals and having a midfielder pop up in the box 30 times a game with a late run is just a nightmare to play against and very difficult to mark. This is why Real Madrid wanted him.

GregtheRed_

Hopefully this season ahead is a good one for him. He's settled in more, has a full pre-season under his belt and I'm sure he'll be an effective player in the attacking style Solksjaer supposedly wants to implement. He's the type of player who can play those one-two's with our front three - especially Cavani and now Sancho. He's capable of driving at players and can be so cool in possession, an out and out defensive midfielder would benefit the whole team but especially Donny.

romufc

Hopefully this season ahead is a good one for him. He's settled in more, has a full pre-season under his belt and I'm sure he'll be an effective player in the attacking style Solksjaer supposedly wants to implement. He's the type of player who can play those one-two's with our front three - especially Cavani and now Sancho. He's capable of driving at players and can be so cool in possession, an out and out defensive midfielder would benefit the whole team but especially Donny.
Yep, what I have seen of Sancho he is one who will play the one twos. Also, people forget Bruno, Cavani can also play that football if they have players around them on the same page.

Him having a full pre season from day 1 will benefit him, he has 4 weeks to prove to the manager, he is needed for the team.

If he does well, it would be like a new signing really with the way he was used last season. I think this is the type of football we need to play, one touch passing. Last season we were a bit too direct.

GregtheRed_

Yep, what I have seen of Sancho he is one who will play the one twos. Also, people forget Bruno, Cavani can also play that football if they have players around them on the same page.

Him having a full pre season from day 1 will benefit him, he has 4 weeks to prove to the manager, he is needed for the team.

If he does well, it would be like a new signing really with the way he was used last season. I think this is the type of football we need to play, one touch passing. Last season we were a bit too direct.
We were so flat at times and had no solution for a team that sat in behind. Sancho is a wide playmaker and as you said likes to link up and receive the ball as fast as he gives it. I think him and DVB can help speed us up and make our attacking more fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.