5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2Lose

Missed the first 15 minutes and didn't realise he'd started until he was subbed.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I thought he did okay in the pivot. Started a bit tepidly, moved the ball better as the game progressed and gradually started with the nice switches of play. Then AWB ended his night.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Basically robbed off a chance of a full game by AWB being a div. Needs more games, will not be sharp by getting feck all playing time.

BorisManUtd

He was good imo, but how unlucky is he, one time he starts a game for us, things are going well and then AWB gets sent off and everything changes from there :lol:

Donny most probably won't start against West Ham, especially if McTominay is back, so another proper chance for him could be in Carabao cup few days later.

The United

I thought he did well. I'm not sure what standards people are judging him by, but he played alongside Fred as part of the pivot. He was clean and precise with his passing and allowed the attacking players to get on the ball.
Defensively, he did his job as well.
All in all, he performed his role in that first 45.

Not sure what the is being expected of him.
He did his defensive work once we were down to 10. Of course, everyone including him had to.

Before that, Fred was left alone and Donny would be way up somewhere waiting for impossible passes to receive.

MadMike

He was okayish. Nothing bad and nothing spectacular.

It was his first start, he was bound to take a while to find his feet. Sadly he got sacrificed at half time

NZT-One

I like to wait a bit more for him.

But, it is utterly ridiculous from a bunch of people on this forum who think he can play deep and 'control the midfield'.
Yeah fully agree with this. He did alright, no standouts positively or negatively. I would have liked to see more from him minutes-wise and was a bit chuffed* to see him subbed so early. Give him time, give him a chance but don't be shocked, if this experiment with him in midfield turns to nothing. Every good footballer can play in midfield to some degree, but what we need to consider him as a real option, is way more than that. He did do his share defensively tonight, it wasn't much but we can use him in light matches. Hope he gets a chance every now and again, maybe if we lead with a few goals.

*was unhappy

Last edited:

Bondi77

Yeah fully agree with this. He did alright, no standouts positively or negatively. I would have liked to see more from him minutes-wise and was a bit chuffed to see him subbed so early. Give him time, give him a chance but don't be shocked, if this experiment with him in midfield turns to nothing. Every good footballer can play in midfield to some degree, but what we need to consider him as a real option, is way more than that. He did do his share defensively tonight, it wasn't much but we can use him in light matches. Hope he gets a chance every now and again, maybe if we lead with a few goals.
Wat does chuffed mean?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
No mistakes in him. Crisp passes. Puts in a tackle and isn't afraid. Keeps things ticking.

Hes exactly what we could do with but dude got subbed off for a man that should have started.

MattofManchester

He did his defensive work once we were down to 10. Of course, everyone including him had to.

Before that, Fred was left alone and Donny would be way up somewhere waiting for impossible passes to receive.
From what I saw we were trying some overly fluid system where Sancho, Bruno and VDB were all trying to interchange positions. A few times Sancho ended up dropping into midfield and vice versa, however when play had to restart, he shifted back into place.

All felt a little convoluted, but I stil felt he did well.

Oranges038

Did nothing wrong but wasn't spectacular either.

Shame he had to get subbed off because of that idiot AWB.

Sylar

I thought today he would demand the ball more, but he sometimes gets into positions where he cant be passed to.

I think he should have stayed on though as we needed an extra body in the middle.

LJJT

Obsession with Donny is odd. He’s a steady player but is well at the back of the queue when it comes to deserving playing time

The United

From what I saw we were trying some overly fluid system where Sancho, Bruno and VDB were all trying to interchange positions. A few times Sancho ended up dropping into midfield and vice versa, however when play had to restart, he shifted back into place.

All felt a little convoluted, but I stil felt he did well.
He did well up front.

But, there was no point of him playing in a 6 position like that. It did NOT solve any issue we had with CM area. At least Pogba does not move too much around and offers a option to be passed from deep.

Smores

Obsession with Donny is odd. He’s a steady player but is well at the back of the queue when it comes to deserving playing time
We barely have a functioning midfield so it's not that surprising people want to see if another player might offer something better.

I thought he did well enough tonight a lot less timid. If he wants to play in that position though he needs to hold back on his instinct to make a run.

redshaw

He's just the player you need to keep possession with small triangle passes. Really we should've gone 4-4-1 and sadly we don't have any passing rhythm to fall back on. Him and Sancho can do that, they do it all day every day for Ajax and Dortmund and Ole is the one who talked Donny into coming here but doesn't know what to do with him and took both off early instead of utilizing their strengths to keep the ball more.

thebelfastboy

Is it just me or players didn't pass to him lots of times when he was open.
Noticed this myself, there was one clear open pass on from Sancho who didn't take it.

I thought vdb was poor/average and wasn't one bit surprised when he was taken off. Was lucky not to be booked for a late tackle.

In saying that he still hasn't been given a proper chance to show what he can do but he's going to have to take his chances better then this

Bondi77

I did not see the game but I see that He did okay in the player rankings

Lyng

He broke up their play several times and ran into the right spaces.
Then he gets subbed off and we get the nightmare that is Fred - Matic.
Those two are terrible together.

Abraxas

I thought he did okay as well. It was a half to build on, nothing outrageously good but mostly kept possession well and tried a few ambitious passes. Not very good for him that it got cut short in this way.

talking robot

Thought he was ok. Decent with the ball, and was surprised a bit by how good his tackling was. However, in defensive phases he looks sluggish to me for a number 8. Seems like he should be faster to close the opposition down, and his positioning felt off at times.

lostcauz

He’ll be gone next summer, he’s never going to be a regular starter for us. Best position at Ajax was as a number 10 and after Bruno, I’d say Jesse is ahead of him in the pecking order.
Just because he says he can play deeper, doesn’t mean he can in any meaningful manner, especially for a team with the ambitions we have. Keeping it tidy isn’t enough, especially when playing next to Fred.

LJJT

Done nothing to deserve all the sympathy he gets. Out of order doing the Five interview as well in my view

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ole wants him to stay for now, I can see why. We just don't have enough steel in midfield and Donny could take several tasks during the long season and not complain much.

spiriticon

I thought he had a bad half hour before he got subbed. Was constantly so high up the pitch and out of position.. You're playing deep tonight dude. Stay with Fred.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was nothing special before he got subbed.

I feel like people are so desperate for him to succeed, but he's probably the last midfielder I'd trust in a big game for us.

Trip721

He was nothing special before he got subbed.

I feel like people are so desperate for him to succeed, but he's probably the last midfielder I'd trust in a big game for us.
I'm desperate to see him succeed, but I haven't seen anything to make me believe he should be a first team player. He looks slow, his passes tend to go backwards, I do see him making some great runs, but with our mentality to pass sideways or backwards, he is often missed. Not sure this is the right place for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.