Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Everton's Brands did an interview on VDB. He basically said they informed at the start of window, but he was initially off limits. So there was plenty of time to replace him if that was the issue. Said Everton might try again the winter.

I'm sure one off the handy twitter guys can pull up translated quotes.

youngrell

I’m not sure where I stand on the whole ‘free Donny’ malarky.

On one hand it seems he’s been treated badly with so few chances to show his worth, on the other hand he has looked so ordinary in a lot of the chances he has had.

I think he’s been quite unlucky with circumstances, too. For instance, there always seems to be some sort of team calamity while he gets a start and he’s the first to get hooked to remedy that. Young Boys game a recent example.

However, he definitely seems to get better with every passing game he doesn’t feature. Even pundits seem to be on board with the mistreatment despite probably seeing as little of him as anyone.

It’s bizarre all round.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
A very very strange signing all round. He's never looked good enough when he has had his chances, but he's also never had a prolonged run of games to 'play into form'. Ole clearly isn't keen. Best he moves on and we all forget about this sorry 12 months

HailtotheKing

On one hand it seems he’s been treated badly with so few chances to show his worth, on the other hand he has looked so ordinary in a lot of the chances he has had.

I think he’s been quite unlucky with circumstances, too. For instance, there always seems to be some sort of team calamity while he gets a start and he’s the first to get hooked to remedy that. Young Boys game a recent example.

However, he definitely seems to get better with every passing game he doesn’t feature. Even pundits seem to be on board with the mistreatment despite probably seeing as little of him as anyone.

It’s bizarre all round.
Do you think it's unlucky that he didn't replace McTominay when McTominay is back from an injury and is playing 3 games in a week? Plus, more importantly, has been utter crap! I get your point though. Things seem to have transpired to not give him chances. But Ole is chief amongst those.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

It’s bizarre all round.
I think the problem will always be, those ahead of him in the queue and slowly proving that the argument that they offer solidity and balance is a myth.

And as that myth is slowly becoming more obvious, we're also not trying any other alternative other than Matic who simply stood in for McTominay when injured.

It's not a case of Donny being better after each game he doesn't play, but more a case of how the hell isn't he being afforded more chances when the other two are offering mediocrity anyway?

GMoore23

If I was VDB I'd already have my transfer request handed in and would be getting a club set up for a January 1st transfer.

The worst treated player I've seen in a United shirt. Literally hasn't even been given the chance to prove if he's good or bad.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A) Why the feck did we buy him?

B) Horrible mismanagement of a player who is clearly a better alternative than McFred...or McPog...or PogFred...or MatFred/MatPog/McMat/ManBearPig...?

I'll go for A).

youngrell

Do you think it's unlucky that he didn't replace McTominay when McTominay is back from an injury and is playing 3 games in a week? Plus, more importantly, has been utter crap! I get your point though. Things seem to have transpired to not give him chances. But Ole is chief amongst those.
I think it comes down to trust, and rightly or wrongly, Ole trusts Scott to deliver his requirements in that position.

Someone else mentioned Donny should maybe be more disciplined in his approach and I agree with that. If he can stick to a couple of tasks required in midfield he would probably gain more trust. He does wander upfield quite a bit and doesn’t seem to have the athleticism of McTominay to recover.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ole could be gone very soon and if the replacement is Ten Hag, that would be his best chance of making here.

HailtotheKing

I think it comes down to trust, and rightly or wrongly, Ole trusts Scott to deliver his requirements in that position.

Someone else mentioned Donny should maybe be more disciplined in his approach and I agree with that. If he can stick to a couple of tasks required in midfield he would probably gain more trust. He does wander upfield quite a bit and doesn’t seem to have the athleticism of McTominay to recover.
Agree, it definitely comes down to trust, but how many times must a player break that trust for you to realize you can't trust them anymore? I am so god damn tired of Ole's stubbornness. Having to watch game after game of McFred not being good enough to pass, not being good enough in the tackle. At least Fred actually does something. McTominay does nothing except hide and take no risks. The only time they are good is when we're playing a decent side that comes at us and we need extra cover. Otherwise, they are McShit.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if Ole is not playing him so we get most of our money back?

If he thinks he is not good and he plays and then does rubbish then that leads to a potentially very low transfer fee doesn't it?

Right now it looks like something else and he still has the hype a bit from ajax.

Hughie77

You either get a player who can play with him or you get rid. But imo Olly be gone by January window if we're off the pace in league and the Cl . So a new guy in charge may want him. ?

tomaldinho1

If he thinks he is not good and he plays and then does rubbish then that leads to a potentially very low transfer fee doesn't it?

Right now it looks like something else and he still has the hype a bit from ajax.
This is what happens every international break, too much time to think and we start coming up with these crazy theories. Ole isn't playing him because he prefers McFred and Matic over VdB, there's nothing else to it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I just think it's funny that he was supposedly ready to fight for his place in the squad this season, and after 10(?) games he's ready to leave in January.

clarkydaz

The club have lowered his value deeming him not worth getting near the first team. laughable they think can get their fee back

MadMike

I just think it's funny that he was supposedly ready to fight for his place in the squad this season, and after 10(?) games he's ready to leave in January.
Funny as in inconsistent? Don't think so, not at all.

Fighting for your place requires you to be given chances to fight for it, you cannot fight from the bench. When he wasn't allowed to leave in the summer, I assume there was some discussion between him and Ole that he would get some chances. There must have also been a discussion on targets and expectations, in terms of what Ole wants to see from Donny to play him more.

If Donny feels he is doing his part and meeting the expectations Ole set but Ole still won't give him a fighting chance, then he's very entitled to to say "feck it, I'm out" and still be consistent with his pledge to fight for his spot. It would be Ole who is inconsistent then.

Obviously, we don't know what they discussed and we're speculating. But it seems Donny is the one that feels betrayed here.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Funny as in inconsistent? Don't think so, not at all.

Fighting for your place requires you to be given chances to fight for it, you cannot fight from the bench. When he wasn't allowed to leave in the summer, I assume there was some discussion between him and Ole that he would get some chances. There must have also been a discussion on targets and expectations, about what Ole wants to see to play him more.

If Donny feels he is doing his part and meeting the expectations yet Ole still won't give him a fighting chance, then he's very entitled to to say "feck it, I'm out" and still be consistent with his pledge to fight for his spot. It would be Ole who is inconsistent then.

Obviously, we don't know what they discussed and we're speculating. But it seems Donny is the one that feels betrayed here.
I just don't really see why he (& his team) are so aggressive with their insistence that he must start at all costs. I would argue that Lingard has a better claim for a starting position than Donny for example - so it comes across quite unnecessary, though I understand he's pushing for a place in the World Cup - but still doesn't explain why he's apparently given up after 10 matches.
We don't know what Ole has said to him behind the scenes, but to me this general outpouring that he's been hard done by is very OTT imo.

freeurmind

weak willed
Not surprised he's looking to leave. Why stay when the manager isn't giving you opportunnities? When McTominay was injured, Matic was preferred in midfield. Despite years of looking not up to the task, McFred continue to start ahead of him. He has 4 league starts in his time here, Alex Telles has more.

If Ole doesn't rate him, fair enough but then why wasn't he sold in the summer and someone new brought in?

YikesSchmeics

If I was VDB I'd already have my transfer request handed in and would be getting a club set up for a January 1st transfer.

The worst treated player I've seen in a United shirt. Literally hasn't even been given the chance to prove if he's good or bad.
I agree the Donny situation is a complete joke and a shambles, but for me nothing will top Zaha. He was so badly managed that I often forget he played for us.

Gandalf

Ole could be gone very soon and if the replacement is Ten Hag, that would be his best chance of making here.
Ole is no more likely to be gone this season than Pep or Klopp. It might not be something you agree with but the fact is the board are firmly behind him and it would take a spectacular collapse for him to be gone anytime soon and 2 points off the top is not that.

Donny will be gone before Ole. It would be nice to see him in a sustained run of games but that is not likely prior to the window and therefore Donny and his agent will be doing everything they can to get out of Manchester and I imagine we will be ok with that provided it is not some daft loan offer and we get back a decent chunk of the original fee.

Gandalf

Not surprised he's looking to leave. Why stay when the manager isn't giving you opportunnities? When McTominay was injured, Matic was preferred in midfield. Despite years of looking not up to the task, McFred continue to start ahead of him. He has 4 league starts in his time here, Alex Telles has more.

If Ole doesn't rate him, fair enough but then why wasn't he sold in the summer and someone new brought in?

In the summer he was not a particularly hot property and the only genuine offers we received appear to have been loan deals which would have left us short of options in the event of injuries. Ole clearly is keeping him as an insurance policy at this point but unless we have an injury crisis his chance will not come. It is unfortunate for Donny but he is not the first nor the last player to be in this situation, it sucks for him but if the choice is to leave the club short just to keep him happy then any manager would do the same thing. If we can flip him for cash that Ole can use to buy a replacement I imagine he would sign off the deal happily.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I just don't really see why he (& his team) are so aggressive with their insistence that he must start at all costs. I would argue that Lingard has a better claim for a starting position than Donny for example - so it comes across quite unnecessary, though I understand he's pushing for a place in the World Cup - but still doesn't explain why he's apparently given up after 10 matches.
We don't know what Ole has said to him behind the scenes, but to me this general outpouring that he's been hard done by is very OTT imo.
Is it definitely about starts though? I thought it was about playtime (i.e., opportunities) more generally.

But yeah, no-one knows what was actually said. Maybe Ole said that Van de Beek would be a guaranteed starter until the semis of the League Cup, and now that's obviously fallen through. Or maybe he promised nothing and it's all in Van de Beek's head. But if he is so adamant on leaving, I'd suppose he is thinking that the current situation seems rather unfavourable compared to whatever he was told.

I agree, btw, that United owe nothing to Van de Beek. If he's considered not good enough by the manager, then too bad; there are no guarantees in football and he is still a paid employee. But given how things have been playing out, I get why the player would be disappointed; and it also seems better for United to sell him (even with a loss) and get someone else instead that better fits Ole's plans.

git_united

This has become ridiculous. His drama per time spent at the club ratio (adjusted for talent level) is the highest we've seen in a while (maybe ever?). Yes, he absolutely should get more game time given the dross served up by Fred and McTominay. But whatever just sell him in January and let him go be average somewhere else.

GMoore23

I agree the Donny situation is a complete joke and a shambles, but for me nothing will top Zaha. He was so badly managed that I often forget he played for us.
Zaha's treatment was bad too and he proved himself a decent premier league player when given the chance. Wasn't he shunned due to getting with the boss's daughter though.

VivaRonaldo85

It’s a double edged sword. We’ve not only splurged our midfield budget on a dud that the manager doesn’t fancy full stop, but it also means we’ve not enhanced the real weak area in our midfield that we’ve all been crying out for for the last 18 months or so. Farcical signing really.

Nothing against DVB as he has no way had a fair crack at it. I may be wrong but I can’t even recall him getting back to back league starts in his time here.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not likely, just wishful thinking on the part of the selfish impatient section of the fan base. Phelans contract extension is a good indicator of how the board view what’s happening on the pitch.

dinostar77

If the rumours that ten hag has asked for VDB as one of his signings for next season at Barcelona are true then he should jump at the chance.

Needs to leave or go out on loan in January. Been lied to by Ole for too long now.

bond19821982

Not likely, just wishful thinking on the part of the selfish impatient section of the fan base. Phelans contract extension is a good indicator of how the board view what’s happening on the pitch.
Yeah like Jose got sacked soon after his extension. Phelan extension has nothing to do with Ole. He will be lucky to survive October with the fixtures.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
How bad do you think VDB is in training so that Ole doesn't fancy him? This is worse than Moyes/Zaha and at least zaha shagged.

Plant0x84

Yeah like Jose got sacked soon after his extension. Phelan extension has nothing to do with Ole. He will be lucky to survive October with the fixtures.
Jose wasn’t sacked because we lost a game or two, and nor will Ole be. Jose was sacked because he was ripping the heart and sole out of the club and was the death of all good things. If you think that’s comparable with whats happening now then I’m afraid that’s even more stupid than wanting the manager sacked when we are 4th and 2pts of the top of the league after 7 games.

EtH

More likely Donny is gone soon. Would be a bit rich if he left in January and we hired Ten Hag in the summer.

bond19821982

we are 4th and 2pts of the top of the league after 7 games.
The standard keep going down though. When we lost against Villa, it was 1 point off top. Now it's 2 off top and we are playing Leicester, Spurs,City, Liverpool next. After our run it will be , we are only x points off 4th.

EtH

No chance we’re selling him. He’d be out on loan if he’s off in Jan.
I don’t know why we’d shirk selling him at this point. He obviously isn’t in the manager’s plans.

Plant0x84

The standard keep going down though. When we lost against Villa, it was 1 point off top. Now it's 2 off top and we are playing Leicester, Spurs,City, Liverpool next. After our run it will be , we are only x points off 4th.
Where is your belief, man? I fully expect to see the best of our team vs the current top 3. We always turn up for the top teams and look ridiculous against the lower teams. And not one of them is invincible. Mark my words, we will hit our stride and be right amongst it come December. Who knows, Donny might even get a game! (Just to keep it on topic :nervous:)

Status
Not open for further replies.