Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lingard to West Ham?
Slightly different circumstances. Lingard wasn’t even getting in the United squad most weeks and there was nothing to lose by allowing him to try and revitalise himself. There were some personal circumstances too. VdB is on the bench each and every week.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
That says it all. The only interest in him was a loan offer from a broke club after a plea from a desperate agent.

Are you honestly arguing that it was in United’s best interests to essentially allow the guy to leave for any terms, even for a derisory offer? What other big club just gives up their currently unfavoured players like that? Why would United weaken their squad at zero benefit?
not true, their Direct of Football has come out and said they wanted him at the start of the window, but United wouldn't let him go. So when his agent offered him again this story come out

red_sun

That says it all. The only interest in him was a loan offer from a broke club after a plea from a desperate agent.

Are you honestly arguing that it was in United’s best interests to essentially allow the guy to leave for any terms, even for a derisory offer? What other big club just gives up their currently unfavoured players like that? Why would United weaken their squad at zero benefit?
We don't know what was the club's position in regards to selling him, and we don't know what offers came in other than the Everton one. And even then, it was likely leaked by one of the parties.

It wasn't in United's best interest. But it seems a poor financial decision. You have an unused asset whose value is dropping due to not being played AND you're paying him a healthy wage every week.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was the best in a bad bunch, and still arguably at fault for the West Ham goal, in a dispiriting loss against West Ham’s second XI.

There were no offers in the summer.

According to Everton's DOF, they asked about VDB and he wasn't up for sale. VDB's agent said they only went looking for a loan move after Ronaldo was announced.
He had no trouble finding a loan to a decent prem side at the closing of the window.

Everything points to VDB and us not looking for a move rather than there being no interest (because he's shit, as you're implying). Guy was on the ballon d'or shortlist and put in a class performance against Italy in November. Of course clubs would have been interested.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We don't know what was the club's position in regards to selling him, and we don't know what offers came in other than the Everton one. And even then, it was likely leaked by one of the parties.

It wasn't in United's best interest. But it seems a poor financial decision. You have an unused asset whose value is dropping due to not being played AND you're paying him a healthy wage every week.
Everton had no transfer budget this window. They spent £1.7m and picked up players otherwise unwanted on fairly low wages. The Everton interest is a complete red herring.

Foxbatt

Slightly different circumstances. Lingard wasn’t even getting in the United squad most weeks and there was nothing to lose by allowing him to try and revitalise himself. There were some personal circumstances too. VdB is on the bench each and every week.
Do you see how ridiculous this is? DVB has not played for a very long time. There is no way he is going to get into side. He doesn't fit the way Ole wants to play. Mata is on the bench too all the time. So is Jones when he is fit. Does it mean that Ole is not going to let them leave if they want to? It's destroying a player's career.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His legend grows more as we continue our crap football and he doesn’t play.
For the first time I do find myself agreeing with those who don't like his lack of opportunity.

Last season he was almost always poor and invisible when given chances, and our midfield (as much as they do get criticised) were at least being effective. Obviously we'd like more than 'effective', but meh, it is what it is.

However at the moment every single one of our other four midfielders are struggling, and VDB did just come off arguably his best performance in our shirt (certainly the best in a midfield role). Yes it was only West Ham's B team, but part of the reason VDB looked better is that he was being much more aggressive and trying to make an impact, things that were completely absent from his game previously. Is it enough to say that he's turned the corner and is the answer to our problems? Certainly not. Is it enough to say that it's deserving of more opportunities to see if he can do it regularly? I'd say it is.

Ixion

I'm more and more convinced Ole doesn't see out the season and whoever comes in gives VDB some minutes and he puts in decent performances. It's the kind of thing you see happen all the time in football.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Would any of us be, really? I wouldn't give a shit about Donny if McFred actually played like good midfielders. But we're in a situation when our midfield situation is absoltuely dire and Donny, despite his good performances agianst Young Boys and West Ham this season (better than any of our midfielders despite no run of games) can't seem to get even a 5 minute appearance. It's just a joke of man management, the one thing people seem to praise Ole for.
It's not just the midfield that is the problem. It's all areas of the team.

lex talionis

Completely indefensible that Ole has treated Donny as though he were a leper.

If we were bossing the league, no problem at all with freezing out Donny. But that’s not the case.

Slysi17

If I was Van De Beek I wouldn't be worried. It's curtains for Ole and I see Ole being sacked before Van De Beek leaves

Chairman Steve

At this point, it really wouldn’t surprise me if a new manager comes in, puts him in the team and immediately he looks pretty decent for us. It’s going to be like Rudiger, Christiansen and Jorginho going from Lampard to Tuchel at Chelsea.

Did Donny accidently spill coffee over OGS in their first face to face meeting or something?

Kaos

I feel like its a race between Ole getting sacked and Donny being sold by him. I do hope Donny outlasts him and we bring in a proper coach who makes use of him before Ole has the chance to bin him without giving him a proper chance.

L1nk

I genuinely cannot believe the cheek of Ole to be annoyed we didn't buy a midfielder when he doesn't bother to use the midfielder he bought the season before, nor let him leave in the summer so that the funds can be put towards this said midfielder he wanted this summer, though I'd have my doubts even this new midfielder would get in over McFred

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I feel like its a race between Ole getting sacked and Donny being sold by him. I do hope Donny outlasts him and we bring in a proper coach who makes use of him before Ole has the chance to bin him without giving him a proper chance.
That will obviously happen. I'd put good money on Donny being given a proper chance and showing everyone just why we forked out for him as he's actually a pretty good player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That will obviously happen. I'd put good money on Donny being given a proper chance and showing everyone just why we forked out for him as he's actually a pretty good player.
Agreed. Get a modern day manager who prioritises midfield and keeping the ball, he'd be straight in the team.

I'd love to for Ole to actually list out exactly what it is he does so badly? I like to think i'm quite a good judge of players and I really don't understand it.

He isn't even that bad defensively, maybe dives into tackles a little too much but he's plenty aggressive. I thought he was great against West Ham yet we've not seen a peep of him since. All momentum lost.

Kostov

This looks a lot like Jose vs Shaw and Martial some couple of years ago. Ole gets the pass just because he is a nice guy in front of the cameras whist Mourinho has a reputation of a cnut regardless,

If i were DVB i would refuse any move. He's got a contract until 2025, Ole will be gone by the summer at the very latest. He can sit out a few more months knowing he will soon get a proper chance to shine at the biggest club he's ever likely to play for.

Kaos

If i were DVB i would refuse any move. He's got a contract until 2025, Ole will be gone by the summer at the very latest. He can sit out a few more months knowing he will soon get a proper chance to shine at the biggest club he's ever likely to play for.
This would be the smart move, and I'd imagine his agent would be advising the same. Thought it depends on how much longer Ole is given. If he's still at the job beginning of next season (and I wouldn't put it past this board to give him another year if he secures top 4), then I can see Donny losing patience and forcing a move to salvage his chances at going to the WC.

FriedClams

From the armchair, this is one of the strangest scenarios I can recall at the club in terms of a player not getting minutes. I haven't seen a performance from any of our midfielders this season (Bruno included) that justifies why VDB isn't getting an opportunity, so all I can think of is that he must get eaten alive in training?

Ixion

The only scenario I can even think of that is vaguely similar is when Sir Alex didn't want Bosnich (wasn't his signing) and had him playing in the reserves and League Cup only but he did eventually give him a chance and he put in some good performances along the way. This VDB situation is just weird though.

Giggsy13

If we were bossing the league, no problem at all with freezing out Donny. But that’s not the case.
Ole has also put the club in the position of losing both Donny and Pogba next season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
For the first time I do find myself agreeing with those who don't like his lack of opportunity.

Last season he was almost always poor and invisible when given chances, and our midfield (as much as they do get criticised) were at least being effective. Obviously we'd like more than 'effective', but meh, it is what it is.

However at the moment every single one of our other four midfielders are struggling, and VDB did just come off arguably his best performance in our shirt (certainly the best in a midfield role). Yes it was only West Ham's B team, but part of the reason VDB looked better is that he was being much more aggressive and trying to make an impact, things that were completely absent from his game previously. Is it enough to say that he's turned the corner and is the answer to our problems? Certainly not. Is it enough to say that it's deserving of more opportunities to see if he can do it regularly? I'd say it is.
At this rate the legend of VDB against West Ham is going to soon sit alongside Keane v Juventus, Robson v Barcelona and Beckham v Greece.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

At this rate the legend of VDB against West Ham is going to soon sit alongside Keane v Juventus, Robson v Barcelona and Beckham v Greece.
He also played very well at the end of last season against Wolves away against their first string midfield.

He had a solid 45 minutes in our pre season opener against Everton.

He played well against Young boys until he got subbed at half time because of the red card.

There's lots of recent performances that show he actually does deserve more of a chance. It's not just people imagining it like you seem to think TM.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This looks a lot like Jose vs Shaw and Martial some couple of years ago. Ole gets the pass just because he is a nice guy in front of the cameras whist Mourinho has a reputation of a cnut regardless,
I'm pretty sure Jose played Shaw and Martial more still. He just never hesitated to hook them early :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nice false equivalence.

Donny has been extremely meek and passive in almost all of his matches up until now. Even in the few games where his performances have been ok, he still didn't really show any aggression or will to make things happen. The fact that he showed noticeable improvements in those aspects in his most recent game doesn't mean I'm saying he was brilliant or any rubbish like that. It was an improvement, nothing more. An improvement that came at a time that the rest of our midfielders are struggling, so for the first time since he's joined I do think he 'deserves' a good opportunity. It'll then be up to him whether his performances deserve further opportunities after that.

Irwin99

The only scenario I can even think of that is vaguely similar is when Sir Alex didn't want Bosnich (wasn't his signing) and had him playing in the reserves and League Cup only but he did eventually give him a chance and he put in some good performances along the way. This VDB situation is just weird though.
Fred and Jose was similar I think. Jose clearly didn't rate him and it looked like he didn't even want him at the club. I'm pretty sure there were rumours that the club told Jose it was either Fred or no midfielder at all.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
i guess he'll never be playing again after the chewing gum incident

VanDeBank

Ma’am
i guess he'll never be playing again after the chewing gum incident
Never played to begin with. If he gets a temporary move in January he might get a chance under the next manager once Pogba leaves. If it's a permanent move he could be one of our weirdest and worst flops of all time.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'll admit that its very strange that he rarely ever gets a nod or even a few minutes. Its a shame we've started the season with such a number of varying performances.

Ultimately it could turn out that AWB's desire to see red is the final nail in the coffin for Donny's Manchester United career.

Ralph1386

I think even people who don’t rate Donny are starting to see that his treatment is unjustified

Status
Not open for further replies.