Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think he is a very average player, but not being played at the start of this season might be the best thing to happen to him. Not a chance he would have succeeded with how the team has been structured to start this season, a thankless task for any midfielder, massive ground to cover, space everywhere.
Then why did we buy him for 40m?

Sviken

I think he is a very average player, but not being played at the start of this season might be the best thing to happen to him. Not a chance he would have succeeded with how the team has been structured to start this season, a thankless task for any midfielder, massive ground to cover, space everywhere.
>nominated for the shortlist of Ballon D'Or
>he is a very average player

Based on what exactly? Ole barely plays him and the few times he has played he has shown that he is well up to the task. Obviously, it doesn't matter because in the next game Ole takes him off regardless, but I firmly believe that under a competent manager this guy can dominate the midfield. And if Ole is so clueless as to not see that, then he should have been sold. There's zero excuses as to the absurd situation this club has found itself in.

Bobski

Then why did we buy him for 40m?
Not to play in a defensive 2 in midfield. I would guess with the expectation that Pogba would leave and he would be the alternative to Bruno and occasionally play in a 3 man midfield.

His Ajax performances were good, but if we are judging purely by that run then Dusan Tadic would be one of the best players in the world.

Thiagoal

He’s clearly not an ‘average player’ just like so many other players United have bought and turned to shit over the past years post SAF. We buy players with no idea how/ where they will play within the team structure. Put a proper manager in and then judge it he’s good enough

Bobski

>nominated for the shortlist of Ballon D'Or
>he is a very average player

Based on what exactly? Ole barely plays him and the few times he has played he has shown that he is well up to the task. Obviously, it doesn't matter because in the next game Ole takes him off regardless, but I firmly believe that under a competent manager this guy can dominate the midfield. And if Ole is so clueless as to not see that, then he should have been sold. There's zero excuses as to the absurd situation this club has found itself in.
He has maybe had 2-3 games when he has looked a worthwhile option, vast majority of the time, in admittedly limited opportunities he has been anonymous.

VivaRonaldo85

The strange thing is that he was played in pre season and appeared to be getting some positives. Then hasn’t kicked a ball since.

Sviken

He has maybe had 2-3 games when he has looked a worthwhile option, vast majority of the time, in admittedly limited opportunities he has been anonymous.
Which football player can play 5-10 minutes per match as a sub and deliver good performances? This season, in his sole 2 showcases, he absolutely deserves to start. Whatever happens with him, Ole hasn't given him enough chance to prove himself. Nowhere near enough and that is a mistake. If he did and Donny failed, we'll all agree that he is not good enough. Like the McFred duo. But Donny has spent 98% of his time at Man United watching from the bench.

Ralph1386

I used to think the whole VdB should play more thing was overblown but watching McFred drop a log in the centre of midfield while this guy can’t even get a sub appearance really has made me think he is being f’d over.
Welcome to the club.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not to play in a defensive 2 in midfield. I would guess with the expectation that Pogba would leave and he would be the alternative to Bruno and occasionally play in a 3 man midfield.

His Ajax performances were good, but if we are judging purely by that run then Dusan Tadic would be one of the best players in the world.
We aren't. While he was our player, he made De Boer look like a competent manager by scoring the only goals in the two draws vs Italy and Spain. He had a last minute clearance to save one of the games and was widely recognized as one of the best players on the pitch in the Italy game. I get all the caveats and bla bla, but if you can excel at that level I'm sure you can offer something in CM over a Serbian pensioner, a half fit McTominay and a guy who likes Torino.
Only after his confidence was completely shot last season after an okay start.
He's been one of our better midfielders this season (without match fitness, mind).

Brophs

The One and Only
Lads, I don’t think today’s the day for the “Please take good care of our Donny” routine.

RazorOz

The real thing really is why is it ok for McFred to get 50 chances to show they're not good enough, but Donny gets 1 chance a season? I am fed up of hearing this week in the pre-match build up how McFred play because they shore things up/make us more solid, it's just buzz words with no substance, no they don't, but they will get another chance in the next few weeks I'm sure.

Foxbatt

The real thing really is why is it ok for McFred to get 50 chances to show they're not good enough, but Donny gets 1 chance a season? I am fed up of hearing this week in the pre-match build up how McFred play because they shore things up/make us more solid, it's just buzz words with no substance, no they don't, but they will get another chance in the next few weeks I'm sure.
what do you mean by one chance? He never gets a full match in any sense.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
There aren't many central midfield options who thrive on 6 minute cameos.

He started very well for us and was involved in most of our goals in the early games last season, Pogba came back after his desired move never happened and he's simply not had a look in since.

He's been given scraps at best.

tomaldinho1

Sad that he must be praying Ole gets sacked when you think about it. It baffles me how stubborn Ole has turned out to be - McFred once again proving how shite they are at protecting the CBs but he just gets nothing. VdB might as well get a run now, surely!

RazorOz

what do you mean by one chance? He never gets a full match in any sense.
Wasn't even really thinking of Premier League games. He normally gets a start at some point, but that's the point he doesn't get the opportunities afforded to other players who are able to perform badly time after time and still get the opportunity.

Foxbatt

Wasn't even really thinking of Premier League games. He normally gets a start at some point, but that's the point he doesn't get the opportunities afforded to other players who are able to perform badly time after time and still get the opportunity.
yes and he come on in the CL and promptly got hooked off after AWB got sent off. I really wonder what the issue is with him and Ole.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I don't think he actually exists, I mean, has anyone actually ever seem DVB :confused:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
VDB will tell his side of the story once he or Ole leave the club. But it certainly feels like he is being punished for something we aren't privy to. The state of our existing midfield is shambolic.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Lads, I don’t think today’s the day for the “Please take good care of our Donny” routine.
You're right, but this is so mental. I said I never wanted Donny and didn't rate him at Ajax, and haven't been impressed with his time here when given chances, but, bar Matic, I think he put in the best performance of a central midfielder we've seen this season and he hasn't seen a single minute of action since!

Remember Mkhitaryan's start here under José where he hardly played? This is on another level. I didn't think we'd see a situation like the Mkhi one again because I would have thought we would have put more effort into scouting and making sure the signing we'd make was the right one for us, but nope.

Sancho's start has a feeling of Mkhi and Donny, too. It's like our scouts come from a different sport.

Ixion

9 games into the league, nearly a quarter of the season, and he's played 5 minutes. A joke. The way Sancho is obviously not trusted by Ole and how quickly he's binned him for Rashford makes me worried he'll go the same route.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
9 games into the league, nearly a quarter of the season, and he's played 5 minutes. A joke. The way Sancho is obviously not trusted by Ole and how quickly he's binned him for Rashford makes me worried he'll go the same route.
Oh yes, Sancho is already on the VDB route. Sure he started more than Donny did, but then it turned into sub duty to now not even coming on most of the times. It'll eventually get to the same point as Donny with like 5 minutes every month

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Oh yes, Sancho is already on the VDB route. Sure he started more than Donny did, but then it turned into sub duty to now not even coming on most of the times. It'll eventually get to the same point as Donny with like 5 minutes every month
Its good that we have two players that need a structure to function though. Means if we get a competent manager who has a system, these two should do well.

They don't work in the pray for the win and inshallah approach Ole has adopted.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
There is no way Donny is any worse than McT, in no multiverse would that be the case.
McTominay has a better sliding tackle and has a bit more pace and height on him. In contrast with VDB who can pass and the read the game to some extent.

Here's what Ole had to say about giving VDB a chance:

Oh please, the comment that you don't really rate him but at least he's better than McT is absolutely laughable. So my shite smells, just not as bad as yours. You know it's still shit don't you?

Kaos

Barca bound?

Either way I do hope he holds on and doesn't make any decision on his future until we sort out our managerial situation. Would still like to see him given a proper chance under a better coach.

lloyd2wayne

Vast Majority of what? He never plays come on man. He play good against West Ham and hasn’t played a minute since.

How can one have consistency when they play one game every 3 months? Be fair here

croadyman

He might do well to stick around and wait for the new manager. Because let’s be honest, Ole is done.
Well even Conte or Zidane would at least be prepared to give him a clean slate but obviously Ten Haag is who he would love

Status
Not open for further replies.