Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
1) in order to sell a player there must be a willing buyer. Do you know such?
2) your statement that our midfielders have been producing 0/10 performance kind of says it all about your objectivity
Have you missed the part where our managers are desperate for him to stay to fill the bench?

He's not been sold because we've wanted to keep him, not because there wouldn't be a buyer.

Jericho

Strange how he always comes on with only a couple of minutes left under both Ole and Rangnick. It would make more sense to me if he didn’t come on at all. He can’t be expected to affect the game in the time he’s being given, we’ve seen it over and over again and nothing comes of it. Does he have a minimum number of appearances stipulated in his contract or something?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I saw someone on twitter a few weeks ago who had an interesting theory about Donny. He questioned whether or not we have to pay Ajax a hefty add on fee for his next start in a United shirt.

It does seem remarkable that he's not started a single game for weeks despite a hectic winter schedule.

Maybe there's some truth to that theory. Maybe he's just not very good. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Jericho

I saw someone on twitter a few weeks ago who had an interesting theory about Donny. He questioned whether or not we have to pay Ajax a hefty add on fee for his next start in a United shirt.

It does seem remarkable that he's not started a single game for weeks despite a hectic winter schedule.

Maybe there's some truth to that theory. Maybe he's just not very good. I don't know what to believe anymore.
Surely we’d at least sub him on earlier if that were true.

lex talionis

It would truly be hilarious -- and depressing -- if Ralf subbed on Donny in the 88th minute again...against Brentford.

Ridiculous what we've done to Donny, despite Edwin's plea that we look after him.

Litch

Only peoples hate of McFred makes the Donny issue that relevant. Its literally some people would want the grounds person and dinner lady rather than them. Trust me if Donny had to play in the same way as McFred, not sure many would have the same opinion of him….

lex talionis

Only peoples hate of McFred makes the Donny issue that relevant. Its literally some people would want the grounds person and dinner lady rather than them. Trust me if Donny had to play in the same way as McFred, not sure many would have the same opinion of him….
In truth, the concern is that we spent 35m and over 100k/week in wages for a player whom we never gave a chance.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think it’s time we accept he is not as good as we think he is. He’s not being played by 2 managers now - one of whom isn’t afraid to give changes to fringe players if they show they deserve it (see Elanga, Dalot and Telles). Fact is Donny isn’t doing enough in training.

Bobski

[
Man is a paid spectator
Who gets incredible sympathy from the fanbase despite being basically unusable for the last 2 years.

At least the sympathy run outs have stopped and RR is using guys who might actually make an impact off the bench. When Pogba is back he can go and sit in the stands.

Red Rash

I said in the Match Day thread, if he can't get on in front of a player who supposedly refused to play the other game he really has no chance. I hope he leaves and gets a move to a good club where he can be a regular.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
[

Who gets incredible sympathy from the fanbase despite being basically unusable for the last 2 years.

At least the sympathy run outs have stopped and RR is using guys who might actually make an impact off the bench. When Pogba is back he can go and sit in the stands.
I don't disagree. If Ole was still here then I'd say it's personal but VDB is out of his depth apparently

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he'd be a bad signing from the get go but it's even worse than I thought it would be. Easily our worst transfer ever just because of the lack of trust combined with him being rubbish.

At least Alexis had a few moments here.

Reminds me of how José refused to play Mkhi at the start of his career here and everyone wondered why we bought him. Difference is Mkhi eventually got some runs in the team.

DickDastardly

I said in the Match Day thread, if he can't get on in front of a player who supposedly refused to play the other game he really has no chance. I hope he leaves and gets a move to a good club where he can be a regular.
Yep.

Hope we treat him well, he's been the utmost professional. No hissy fits.

Good luck to him

Bobski

I don't disagree. If Ole was still here then I'd say it's personal but VDB is out of his depth apparently
Personal as in not rating him, or personal as in having some sort of vendetta against him? The first I can buy, the second not at all.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He'll probably leave but I would keep him for now just until some of the squad slot campers leave before him.

Some minutes vs Boro would not harm the team imo.

united for life

if any player plays the same way, fans would want a replacement. They are both average at best with moments of brilliance every now and then. People keep talking about donny because he never really go a chance to prove himself at united. He is a good midfielder and his days at Ajax are an evidence. And before someone jumps to explain the difference in the leagues, please don’t. Donny was even a star player in their champions league run.

Litch

if any player plays the same way, fans would want a replacement. They are both average at best with moments of brilliance every now and then. People keep talking about donny because he never really go a chance to prove himself at united. He is a good midfielder and his days at Ajax are an evidence. And before someone jumps to explain the difference in the leagues, please don’t. Donny was even a star player in their champions league run.
There is nothing wrong with average with moments of brilliance and I can think of many a player that made a career of playing that way. I dont know any manager who isn’t going to play a player who doesn’t improve the team, that’s common sense if you want to keep your job and win football matches. What he was before he came here is irrelevant if he can’t prove it in say training that he can do a better job than Scott and Fred. Ole didn’t play him and a completely different manager, no agenda hasn’t played him either. Surely that must tell you something, yet RR has given opportunities to other players including a young lad.
Donny hasn’t got the engine of Fred or the physicality of Scott, for me Donny‘s best position is 8 so the argument would be starting in front of Bruno or Pogs……that’s why he does play.

united for life

There is nothing wrong with average with moments of brilliance and I can think of many a player that made a career of playing that way. I dont know any manager who isn’t going to play a player who doesn’t improve the team, that’s common sense if you want to keep your job and win football matches. What he was before he came here is irrelevant if he can’t prove it in say training that he can do a better job than Scott and Fred. Ole didn’t play him and a completely different manager, no agenda hasn’t played him either. Surely that must tell you something, yet RR has given opportunities to other players including a young lad.
Donny hasn’t got the engine of Fred or the physicality of Scott, for me Donny‘s best position is 8 so the argument would be starting in front of Bruno or Pogs……that’s why he does play.
we’re playing 433 now so he can play instead of fred.

For me, average with a moment of brilliance is a good squad player for united or maybe a starter for a midtable team with no ambitions. Absolutely not a regular at united.

i agree though, it has to be what he shows in training that is keeping him out if the starting 11. Though I have watched him before and he is actually good. Unfortunately he never good a decent run of games to properly show what he can do (something like what he did against watford for instance).

OmarUnited4ever

Ole didn’t play him and a completely different manager, no agenda hasn’t played him either. Surely that must tell you something, yet RR has given opportunities to other players including a young lad.
I agree with this, and I'm not against the fact that he wasn't given a consistent game time to prove himself when Ole was here, that was a legitimate point at that time, but now, RR clearly does not rate him, RR benched the likes of AWB, Shaw, Rashford who were guaranteed starters with Ole, and recently benched Maguire, Maguire actually wouldn't have started today if Lindelof was available, he gave a chance to fringe players who barely started with Ole, like Dallot and Telles, selected Elanga ahead of an available Rashford and Sancho, so it seems to me that RR, who''s here on interim basis, does not see a value in starting VdB ahead of an available Fred, McTominay, Matic, and Bruno, I suspect Pogba will get a chance once he is deemed fit to play, ahead of VdB.

Litch

we’re playing 433 now so he can play instead of fred.

For me, average with a moment of brilliance is a good squad player for united or maybe a starter for a midtable team with no ambitions. Absolutely not a regular at united.

i agree though, it has to be what he shows in training that is keeping him out if the starting 11. Though I have watched him before and he is actually good. Unfortunately he never good a decent run of games to properly show what he can do (something like what he did against watford for instance).
Donny cannot offer what Fred does otherwise he would play more often.
Utd have had many an average player who started and one of Utd‘s great captains in Steve Bruce was pretty average but had some real brilliance and scored vital goals.
I like Donny, really wished he played more but he needed a better CDM as much as Utd does. If we had one, then maybe Donny would play more……

redshaw

Forgot about the poor lad today. I guess someone has posted he must be rubbish in training for my bingo card.

Last edited:

city-puma

Fred experienced the same. No one had a clue how he could be useful at all then. VDB needs the right opportunity (setup and opponents) to make people understand his play more. It’s difficult to know when it comes or whether it will.

crossy1686

career ending
In truth, the concern is that we spent 35m and over 100k/week in wages for a player whom we never gave a chance.
If he was good enough he would start. We didn’t pay that for him to keep him on the bench when our midfield is so average. If he can’t force his way into that team it only looks bad on him unfortunately. He must be absolutely shit in training.

kelvinwong2026

His best role would be a substitute for Bruno as the "attack-minded" midfielder in a 4-3-3. But Bruno's stamina is excellent and rarely injured, so he won't get too much game time I am afraid. Moreover, he has competition in that role in Pogba once the latter is available again.

Bwuk

We should just cash in.

For what he’s contributing, we could just play a youth player. He’s clearly not in Ragnicks plans at all.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
We should just cash in.

For what he’s contributing, we could just play a youth player. He’s clearly not in Ragnicks plans at all.
The only reason he wouldn’t be for sale is that a manger with specific intention is proposed to join our club in the summer.

Quite frankly it appears he’s not good enough and people struggle to accept that.

united for life

Donny cannot offer what Fred does otherwise he would play more often.
Utd have had many an average player who started and one of Utd‘s great captains in Steve Bruce was pretty average but had some real brilliance and scored vital goals.
I like Donny, really wished he played more but he needed a better CDM as much as Utd does. If we had one, then maybe Donny would play more……
i think you’re flattering Fred a lot here. But I agree, a better cdm would give donny a better chance to start. Given his work rate, fred is deployed there to run back and forth and to contribute more defensively. Its just disappointing to see this talent wasted

Irwin99

If he doesn't leave this window then that will be two years of his career that he'll deeply regret.

Litch

i think you’re flattering Fred a lot here. But I agree, a better cdm would give donny a better chance to start. Given his work rate, fred is deployed there to run back and forth and to contribute more defensively. Its just disappointing to see this talent wasted
I don’t have to cause he plays. I know he divides opinions but his pass completion last season was 88% when he’s labelled as giving the ball away a lot. That’s the same as Rice. If I’m honest never quite got the Donny thing, why is it disappointing? How many players have we signed that rarely played and it didn’t work out? How many talented young Utd players never get the opportunity to play first team football?

Litch

If he doesn't leave this window then that will be two years of his career that he'll deeply regret.
Why? Maybe he’ll be better or stronger from the experience? Like said, don’t get the outcry about Donny. Yes should have played more but when you have Pogs and Bruno in your position, it’s always a risk.

Robindinho

Even Martial is getting game time... Just hand in a transfer request Donny, will go down as one of the strangest signings ever - £40m to sit on the bench, playing the odd cup game. Never getting an opportunity of a run of games.

If he's so bad in training (which you'd assume so with Rangnick not giving him a chance), why are we so reluctant to let him leave?
Or why isn't Donny himself making a fuss to leave, especially if he wants to get back in the Dutch squad.

I do wonder if he knows Ten Haag is the next manager and so is happy to wait it out.

united for life

I don’t have to cause he plays. I know he divides opinions but his pass completion last season was 88% when he’s labelled as giving the ball away a lot. That’s the same as Rice. If I’m honest never quite got the Donny thing, why is it disappointing? How many players have we signed that rarely played and it didn’t work out? How many talented young Utd players never get the opportunity to play first team football?
it’s easy to get a high passing rate when most of the passes are sideways. I’m not saying fred is a bad player, he is average and average isn’t good enough for united. When I think of how we can win the league again, fred isn’t in the starting 11.

how many players have we signed and didn’t work. Quite a few and all of these are disappointing especially when they have potential. Signing VDB and not working hurts more than signing Butner and not working though

lex talionis

If he was good enough he would start. We didn’t pay that for him to keep him on the bench when our midfield is so average. If he can’t force his way into that team it only looks bad on him unfortunately. He must be absolutely shit in training.
You can’t know if a player has anything about him if you don’t play him. The “shit in training” cliche is absurd. Have you ever before heard of an Ajax player who was outstanding in a CL run be “shit in training” for another club?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think the reason he doesn't play is because Bruno is easily the better choice in his position and it must be a huge risk to play him in Mctominay or Fred's position because he's terrible defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.