Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I can't imagine this is anything other than his agent making noise. He's obviously a good player bit I'm failing to see why we would try and sign him without a purchase agreement when we already have Gallagher going back to Chelsea at the end of the season, let alone DvdB as well. We're also well placed in the table so far from desperate. I think it's much more likely that we go with what we have for now and revisit midfield in the summer.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It says reluctant to let him go, so it's not a hard no. I'm just amazed we are even reluctant.
Reluctant to let him go when it's a 'loan to buy' is what I took from that.

They want to give him game time (me spitballing here) but want him available for next year.

Pirlo'sBeard

One of the strangest transfers of all time.

We won't play him and we won't let him go to play football. The handling of Donny has been a disgrace. Let him go.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can't imagine this is anything other than his agent making noise. He's obviously a good player bit I'm failing to see why we would try and sign him without a purchase agreement when we already have Gallagher going back to Chelsea at the end of the season, let alone DvdB as well. We're also well placed in the table so far from desperate. I think it's much more likely that we go with what we have for now and revisit midfield in the summer.
You could happily play a 4-3-3 with DVB and Gallagher as the 8's, or 1 of them in a deeper position.

Or just keep him looking pretty on the bench like we do.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Martial, Lingard, Diallo and VBD out this week with nothiing in ? =(

Gandalf

It says reluctant to let him go, so it's not a hard no. I'm just amazed we are even reluctant.
Well that does depend on the terms. Palace may be asking for a loan with no fee and us paying 75% of his wages for example so right now it could be very much a negotiation as was the case with Martial. We started out with Sevilla offering no fee and us still having to pay 50% of his wages but we put our foot down and amazingly Sevilla found a few million down the back of the sofa to cover his wages in full and depending on who you believe we may have even squeezed a little fee on top.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We really should let him go out on loan to Palace. We'll see if he stands out. Personally I don't think he will. Think he's bang average.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
You could happily play a 4-3-3 with DVB and Gallagher as the 8's, or 1 of them in a deeper position.

Or just keep him looking pretty on the bench like we do.
Not saying he wouldn’t play because he obviously walks in to the team, but I know how our owners work. We will stay up playing Hughes, McArthur and Gallagher with Kouyate, Milivojevic, Riedewald and Schlupp as options (plus Eze if we fancy playing with a number 10). After that Gallagher is going back to Chelsea, Kouyate is out of contract, we’re trying to move on Milivojevic/Riedewald and McArthur is 35! With that in mind I’d be absolutely amazed if we used what limited budget we have on another midfielder who would also go back to their parent club in the summer with no option to buy them. Far more likely that we’d save the money and put it towards the summer budget. If there was an option on him then it’s a different story…we’ll see I guess!

Oldyella

Reluctant to let him go when it's a 'loan to buy' is what I took from that.

They want to give him game time (me spitballing here) but want him available for next year.
Hopefully that's the case. I do think there's a player in there, just doesn't quite fit how we play atm.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not saying he wouldn’t play because he obviously walks in to the team, but I know how our owners work. We will stay up playing Hughes, McArthur and Gallagher with Kouyate, Milivojevic, Riedewald and Schlupp as options (plus Eze if we fancy playing with a number 10). After that Gallagher is going back to Chelsea, Kouyate is out of contract, we’re trying to move on Milivojevic/Riedewald and McArthur is 35! With that in mind I’d be absolutely amazed if we used what limited budget we have on another midfielder who would also go back to their parent club in the summer with no option to buy them. Far more likely that we’d save the money and put it towards the summer budget. If there was an option on him then it’s a different story…we’ll see I guess!
Fair enough, not sure why you are linked either personally! maybe Vieira just wants a better footballer in midfield?. Most of those you listed are gritty outside of Hughes/Gallagher.

Highfather_24

Not sure why people want him gone.

You need to have 6 midfielders for two positions. Anyway Pogba is injury prone, and Matic cannot play twice a week. If we buy a midfielder, then sure loan him out or whatever.

Some players have to be squad players. Lets not pretend he is some generational talent who is above that. Its not his fault that Bruno Fernandes is his direct competition, and managers dont trust him as a #8 or a #6 defensively.

L1nk

Not sure why people want him gone.

You need to have 6 midfielders for two positions. Anyway Pogba is injury prone, and Matic cannot play twice a week. If we buy a midfielder, then sure loan him out or whatever.

Some players have to be squad players. Lets not pretend he is some generational talent who is above that. Its not his fault that Bruno Fernandes is his direct competition, and managers dont trust him as a #8 or a #6 defensively.
Right but the point about squad players is that you play them from time to time, we didn't even play him when Bruno wasn't available to us so it kind of throws that argument out of the window. If he's that garbage that he can barely get a sniff regardless of who is out, what good is he even as a squad player? It's just extremely odd, I'm not even his biggest fan but the handling of this has been poor from start to finish and boggles the mind

Highfather_24

Right but the point about squad players is that you play them from time to time, we didn't even play him when Bruno wasn't available to us so it kind of throws that argument out of the window. If he's that garbage that he can barely get a sniff regardless of who is out, what good is he even as a squad player? It's just extremely odd, I'm not even his biggest fan but the handling of this has been poor from start to finish and boggles the mind
Well Bruno rarely gets injured, and for the 3-4 games or whatever he was out, its Donny's luck that we switched to a 4-2-2-2 where you dont necessarily needs #10s, but can also play wingers there(which we did with Greenwood and Sancho/Rashford).

Yeah, I would like to see him get more gametime too, but I dont get all the people wanting him out of the club for his good. I mean the club comes first, I'd rather have him stay here in case Bruno gets injured(god forbid).

ICHM

From what I have seen of him, he has an aspiration to be bang average. I can't believe the fee we paid, but hey.

Let him go and let one of the younsters get some experience.

Ollie Derbyshire

We shouldn’t let him go, we don’t have enough midfielders as it is. Pogba is still out and we don’t know if he’ll stay fit, Matic has to be managed as it is so if one of Fred or McT get injured who plays? We need him for those last 5mins at least!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
An injury crisis wouldn’t matter even if we did let him leave. We’ve shown that even with several injuries and suspensions, he isn’t getting a sniff. I’m willing to accept it must be for some reason unknown to any of us.

Gandalf

We shouldn’t let him go, we don’t have enough midfielders as it is. Pogba is still out and we don’t know if he’ll stay fit, Matic has to be managed as it is so if one of Fred or McT get injured who plays? We need him for those last 5mins at least!
Well I will be pretty disappointed if Hannibal is not in line for a place in the squad once he gets back from AFCON, he is more than ready and can take one of those spots. We can also utilize one or two others from the U23s if we get really short, time to think about the future not the past.

Thiagoal

I think Ralph isn’t convinced so happy for him to be loaned but the incoming manager may like to keep him! Proof that Ten Haag is the next United boss ladies and gents!

OleGunnar20

Spot on, it's just really weird, and can't be a good look when it comes to wooing potential signings.

Odd all round. Let him go for god sakes and give his minutes (×20 please) to Hannibal.

Strootman's Finger

That makes sense but we're currently playing 4-3-3 and he's not getting a chance

I've a feeling Fred and McTominay will get a palce as one of the attacking midfielders for their high press, hopefully I'm wrong.
Because we need a proper CDM to pull that off. Since we don't have that we have 3 8s, with 2 of them taking turns dropping deep.

Ollie Derbyshire

Well I will be pretty disappointed if Hannibal is not in line for a place in the squad once he gets back from AFCON, he is more than ready and can take one of those spots. We can also utilize one or two others from the U23s if we get really short, time to think about the future not the past.
I’d still keep him for the remainder of this season, then do whatever is best with him in the summer.

Matst1

What was it that the Real Madrid president said when he was trying to sign Ronaldo and we wouldn't let him go? Something along the lines of "modern day slave". Van de Beek is our new slave..

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I was wrong on this, Dom Fifield (Palace’s God Tier journo) says it has legs and Donny is keen to come to get game time. Interesting.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as it would leave us short, I'd quite like him to go to Palace and see what he can do, finally see if Ole and Ralf have been right about him not been up to the premiership once and for all.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surely we sign a new player if Van de Beek, Martial and Lingard all leave?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We have Matic, Pogba, McFred, Bruno. Hannibal will be back soon as well.
Lingard and Mata (and Shola) can play no 10.

We'll be absolutely fine.

AneRu

We have Matic, Pogba, McFred, Bruno. Hannibal will be back soon as well.
Lingard and Mata (and Shola) can play no 10.

We'll be absolutely fine.
You are being too optimistic if you expect a consistent run in the team from those three for varying reasons. I question the sanity of anyone who does any serious planning with Matic in mind after what we saw at Villa Park and been seeing over the years.

The sad thing is that we are being played with promises of not wanting January to interfere with summer signings and we know what will happen in the summer: Judge will spend the rest of the summer chasing Rice and offering way below their valuation and then brief on 3 September about how West Ham were being unreasonable.

Donny has to go for his career but we should bring another midfielder in, if we don't we will regret it when on of Fred, McT or Bruno gets injured. In fact injury notwithstanding its highly naive to expect them to start every match from here on in or counting on Matic when we know he is pretty much semi retired.

userman

A loan to CP would be a good solution for vdB, but also a make or break spell for his future in the PL I guess.
If he succeeds then he might/should come back as a “new signing” for us in the summer or at least have a higher sell-value.
If not successful(getting plenty of game time and playing well), not even for CP, then it’s out the door in the summer.
I have confidence in him and I think this is the perfect opportunity for him to prove himself in the PL. (if he opts to go to Valencia or somewhere else abroad I see it as he forfeits his PL-future).

allen7

I hope donny stays here mainly because Martial leaving on loan and Jesse might as well.

Ralf should keep anyone of Donny or Jesse.

I’d much rather keep donny and let jesse leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.