5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggins

Are we just ignoring him looking extremely average for Everton as well, or is that all on Lampard?
I think it is somehow reasonable to hope that VDB will look good again under ETH as the last time when VDB looked great was under ETH. Wasn’t VDB shortlisted for Ballon d’Or when he played at Ajax?

L1nk

I think it's a smart choice considering we'll be lacking in midfield options and last time anyone got the best out of him was ETH himself

Abraxas

What a pointless video that was on Van de Beek running into space. You could make a highlights reel for anybody like that. Especially in a dysfunctional team like ours, people are taking the wrong option all the time. Pick any player and you could make him look hard done by. You could also make another one featuring their ineptitude at various other points. Such a weird characterisation of things to suggest he's the genius and everyone else is failing him.

Walters_19_MuFc

What a pointless video that was on Van de Beek running into space. You could make a highlights reel for anybody like that. Especially in a dysfunctional team like ours, people are taking the wrong option all the time. Pick any player and you could make him look hard done by. You could also make another one featuring their ineptitude at various other points. Such a weird characterisation of things to suggest he's the genius and everyone else is failing him.
You've taken this way out of context. Who suggested he was a genius? I simply posted a video of the game where he came on against Watford, which, if you watched the game, you would have noticed he changed the game for us and actually made us look like a functional team. Does that make him a genius? No, of course not, but if ten Hag is to use him next season, then I believe that will be the way, which i what I initially posted.

He talks a about creating ''several 10's''. Bascially, having players playing between the lines and making off the ball runs to create that space for other players. That is what Van de Beek was extremely good at Ajax. Yes, to you it may be pointless, but actually, the reason we create few chances against teams that play with a low block is because we have selfish runners - players who only run if they know it will put them in a good position to score. What we need; however, are selfish runners and I believe that VdB has these attributes.

Time will tell as to whether VdB will go onto be a success, but he'll certainly be used in the 8 (mezzala) or 10 position next season under ten Hag.

Abraxas

You've taken this way out of context. Who suggested he was a genius? I simply posted a video of the game where he came on against Watford, which, if you watched the game, you would have noticed he changed the game for us and actually made us look like a functional team. Does that make him a genius? No, of course not, but if ten Hag is to use him next season, then I believe that will be the way, which i what I initially posted.

He talks a about creating ''several 10's''. Bascially, having players playing between the lines and making off the ball runs to create that space for other players. That is what Van de Beek was extremely good at Ajax. Yes, to you it may be pointless, but actually, the reason we create few chances against teams that play with a low block is because we have selfish runners - players who only run if they know it will put them in a good position to score. What we need; however, are selfish runners and I believe that VdB has these attributes.

Time will tell as to whether VdB will go onto be a success, but he'll certainly be used in the 8 (mezzala) or 10 position next season under ten Hag.
I meant the previous video posted, I should have specified. Haven't watched that one.

vanrooney

its not smart by th to stand by him - if he is shit the fans will be all over him. and there is no indicator that dvb will make it in the pl. on the other hand he could get massiv respect for it if its a success

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Are we just ignoring him looking extremely average for Everton as well, or is that all on Lampard?
System player underperforms at a disaster team with no system and a shit manager, goes out on loan to an even greater disaster team with an equally shit manager and no system.

Think it's fair to leave some room for hope, given that he did actually play well for Ten Hag, in the CL, in an actual functioning system. I still don't think he'd be a starter as he'll essentially compete with Bruno for that position, but if he can be a valuable squad player who rotates in pretty often, why not. Think he has enough talent to be that level.

NoPace

System player underperforms at a disaster team with no system and a shit manager, goes out on loan to an even greater disaster team with an equally shit manager and no system.

Think it's fair to leave some room for hope, given that he did actually play well for Ten Hag, in the CL, in an actual functioning system. I still don't think he'd be a starter as he'll essentially compete with Bruno for that position, but if he can be a valuable squad player who rotates in pretty often, why not. Think he has enough talent to be that level.
Big question for VDB might be if Bruno plays tucked in but wide like Tadic does this year, or it's a more orthodox 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 in which case he still might be blocked.

But I do think our ability to play out the back will be so behind what Ten Hag wants this year, even if we do sign say Pau Torres and a fullback and a DM, that someone like VDB who can take instructions and get open and knows the principles he wants might get a ton of time even if it's only for a year or 2 before he becomes a backup attacking mid squad type.

Ranchero

So the word is the underwhelming Van De Beek - who can't get in a struggling Everton side - will get another chance at United under Ten Hag who believes the greatest player the world has seen Cristiano Ronaldo with 29 goals in 46 games in all comps this season would not fit into his system. Just. Fexk. Off.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So the word is the underwhelming Van De Beek - who can't get in a struggling Everton side - will get another chance at United under Ten Hag who believes the greatest player the world has seen Cristiano Ronaldo with 29 goals in 46 games in all comps this season would not fit into his system. Just. Fexk. Off.
And apparently he'll get the players to vote on the next captain and the rumour is that rashford will get the most votes.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Does the term system player reference a player lacking any individualistic talent or physical proficiency?, I see the term used to excuse the performance of players The Athletic have assured people are actually good, but end up falling short in the PL.

Bobski

Where art thou Donny?

Did he just throw in the towel on this season after Ten Hag was appointed?

dinostar77

DVB strikes me a system player, in the right system he will thrive. Hopefully ETH will manage to get him back to his best. If he does we will have a very good player in our team again. Here's hoping..

SATA

Might have been asked before but why isn’t he playing for Everton these days? Might as well have him here when we were running out of midfielders to put on the pitch

Based Adnan

Might have been asked before but why isn’t he playing for Everton these days? Might as well have him here when we were running out of midfielders to put on the pitch
Injured. Lampard said he might be back for next weekend.

RuudTom83

I have my doubt Donny can do it in England...but compared to some others in the squad he still has a few lives left to prove he can.

Red For Ever

Pretty sure we shall see a better player under ETH, partly because the eventual team set-up will suit him better, and partly because ETH will know how to get the best from him.

But we will have to wait and see if that's good enough for a team aspiring to compete for the Premier League title in the next few years.

I hope so, be good to see him succeed

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Was watching a video of Everton players (Calvert lewin and Gray) talking about FIFA stats etc ..

They are talking about passing stats and they talk about when Donny joined and his first rondo/close control session... They were blown away by how good he was

Should be like a new signing and Eth will instill some much needed confidence in him

tidraKS

He'll never make it here or any other big club. Forget about that. He's an average average player.

Lyng

He'll never make it here or any other big club. Forget about that. He's an average average player.
I think its to early to say. He was immense in that Ajax side.

So far he hasnt really done anything in the Premier League, but would still want to see him under Ten Hag again.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Whilst I don't agree, 'average' players have made it at United before.

Kaos

I still think there's a chance he could be a useful squad player for us, especially under Ten Hag who he's played under with great success. There's a huge list of players I'd expect/want to leave the club in the upcoming season or two, but he's no where near up there with the rest of them. Give him a season with the new (albeit familiar) coach, and then reassess. If its clear he offers nothing by then I'm sure Ajax will happily take him back.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Could he be the 6 to De Jong’s 8? Or do we need to buy one of those as well?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Could he be the 6 to De Jong’s 8? Or do we need to buy one of those as well?
No. Donny is a #10 and as a #10 he could be succesfull, also in the PL. But you have to understand that #10's come differently. You have creative #10s and there's 'running/receiving' #10s. Donny is clearly the second category. At United he's been used as a #6/#8 (in which he is average at best) or as a Bruno replacement. However, Bruno was the creative #10 and Donny doesn't have the same qualities. Yet, he had to fill in the role the same way. Obviously that wasn't going to be succesfull. Donny needs to play alongside a creative player like Bruno.

Donny could be succesfull with ETH, but it's not a given of course. It depends on which choice ETH makes. If he decides to play with a creative #10, this will clearly be Bruno and then I don't see much place for Donny in the team. If ETH decides to go with a 'running/receiving' #10 then Donny is probably the best option and I sincerely believe he can be successfull. The creativity can/must then come from the wings. I can see Bruno being used on the wings, as Ziyech was used as a creative winger at Ajax. Ziyech is also a creative #10 in nature but turned into a creative right winger with freedom the move to the inside and be creative. Ten Hag has used both of these variants at Ajax. He will obviously look at all the options available and then choose the system he thinks is optimal for the squad.

mu4c_20le

No. Donny is a #10 and as a #10 he could be succesfull, also in the PL. But you have to understand that #10's come differently.
That's what I'm afraid of, that he's unable to play or shine in his best position in the PL. Worst case scenario is that he would have to change his game to play deeper, but we won't be getting the best of him. ETH is his last hope.

Barthez

Build the team around him I say. Fantastic player when deployed correctly.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Donny is more of an idea than an actual person at this stage, an abstract philosophical debate. I'm starting to forget what he looks like. If a Donny makes a 5 minute cameo when nobody is watching, does he really exist? Think about it....

dan1509

I think United fans need to show more belief, he deserves another chance under the new manager considering how good he looked under him at Ajax. Its possible that his performances for us and Everton are poor because he's surrounded by poor players with no system/playstyle. For instance, I genuinely believe if you put prime Xavi in our midfield under Ole or at Everton, he would be seen as not good enough either.

Ten Hag will bring a playstyle, better midfielders... and its possible VDB may thrive in this new environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.