Donny van de Beek /beːk/| Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himannv

What I said. Herrera wasn't smart on the pitch. Enthusiastic, sure, but not very talented.
Intelligence on the pitch was never one of his issues. He brought a lot of balance, energy, and street smart to an otherwise messed up midfield. He wasn't as good technically as VDB obviously, but there's no need to bash him in this thread. I'd say he was actually one of our better players in a very bad time for the club.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think Der is old Dutch, it’s the same as De.
I'm from Belgium and I speak Dutch. "Van de" means "from the" and is correct Dutch. "Van Der" I think is indeed more ancient Dutch - could be wrong - and just stuck with the last name.
Dutch articles used to have cases, like in German. They now only appear in names (like 'van der' and 'van den'; also Den Bosch, Den Haag) or fixed expressions (like 's nachts', short for 'des nachts' = 'at night'; or 'koning der Nederlanden' = king of the Netherlands). These are all just forms of 'de' = 'the'.

Focusing on the real issues here!

rollingstoned1

i don't know much about van de beek but the people who keep mentioning herrera may probably not remember the role he played in the drubbing bilbao gave us in 2012 or what sort of player he was when he initially joined us rather than whom he became by the time he left, which by all accounts is a lot like i'm reading VdB is supposed to be. Pressing high up the pitch, trying killer balls too often and good in tight spaces were all his SPs which didn't fit in with what lvg wanted for a starting midfielder and he had to be 'coached'.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Great signing and a fantastic deal for that price. Also reduces the pressure if Pogba might consider moving again when things are back to normal next summer.

DevilsOwn

Van der Sar can do no wrong. Ever.

Full interview in the above tweet.
From the interview, Ole wants to see him play in and around the penalty box.

Clearly doesn't see him as a DM/replacement for Fred or Matic.
A good option, when Bruno wants a rest. Maybe even play from the wings.

Good, focused lad it seems. Knows he will have to fight for a starting place. Seems like a good mix of technique and attitude.

Best of luck, DvB

They already are :lol: funny how people can overrate players because they show a bit of passion
The same player who allowed himself to be carried off the pitch by Mark Noble?

I liked Herrera, good squad player, but both his passion and his play were overrated.

Marcus

Donny was on the Ballon d'Or 2019 list of 30 players. I am sure he will be in the first 11.

Pagh Wraith

This fella’s name is about to get crucified I’d say. As previously mentioned it’s pronounced:” bake” not “beak”
It's neither pronounced bake /eı/ nor beak /ı:/. Bake has a diphthong but the ee in Beek is just a long vowel /e:/. But from my experience it's hopeless trying to teach English speakers that phoneme. Saying bake in a Scottish accent might work.

Last edited:

El B

How do we know this is from AJAX? and not from some random fan in Thailand editing stock photo in Ms Paint?
It's not on the Ajax twitter or Edwin's twitter. Looks like a fake. Which is weird, as Ajax and VDS have put up glowing tributes to VDB anyway without needing to invent a fake letter. Bizarre.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This looks fake. It was posted on reddit saying it was from MEN, i searched and didn't find anything. I saw this on troll football site too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This looks fake. It was posted on reddit saying it was from MEN, i searched and didn't find anything. I saw this on troll football site too.
It's positive info so we'll go with it because we need more positivity on the forum.. ;)

Pagh Wraith

Dutch articles used to have cases, like in German. They now only appear in names (like 'van der' and 'van den'; also Den Bosch, Den Haag) or fixed expressions (like 's nachts', short for 'des nachts' = 'at night'; or 'koning der Nederlanden' = king of the Netherlands). These are all just forms of 'de' = 'the'.

Focusing on the real issues here!
Big mistake getting rid of cases! Particularly the genitive. Sadly the same thing is slowly happening in German with people substituting genitive for dative. König der Niederlande sounds so much better than König von den Niederlanden. Replacing "des" for masculine/neuter nouns with "von dem" is even worse.

Sorry for off-topic rant.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's positive info so we'll go with it because we need more positivity on the forum.. ;)
Yeah, I agree with that :D

Anyways overall it's been class. The way this deal was completed, Ajax farewell, VDS and Ajax replying to ManUtd tweets.

Ibi Dreams

It's neither pronounced bake /eı/ nor beak /ı:/. Bake has a diphthong but the ee in Beek is just a long vowel /e:/. But from my experience it's hopeless trying to teach English speakers that phoneme. Saying bake in a Scottish accent might work.
I find it easy enough to produce the sound, but it feels very unnatural to do so given that it doesn't really exist in English. Bake is close enough

Donald Silverbridge

What a classy club Ajax are, I wish them all the best for this season, ( unless if we face them in the champions league), They've dealt with the departure of Donny Van De Beek very well.

AfroBuffalo

Couple chants for The Don,

like Daddy Cool

Donny, Van De Beek
Donny, Van De Beek

Repeat

Sang like Denis Denis by Blondie

Donny Donny!
He’s a red through and through

Donny Donny!
He fecking hates the blues

Donny Donny!
United love you

OrcaFat

So happy with this signing.

I wanted him ever since he was linked with us.
He's gonna be a fantastic competition and cover for all 3 midfield position
Yes a good signing. If he’s going to get a regular spot in the “best” eleven, he looks like a no.8 to me, albeit he will get forward a lot. He looks versatile and with the intelligence to adapt during games or fill in at 6 or 10.

I am not sure we will see him start with Pogba and Bruno very often but I’m very interested to find out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
MEDIA=twitter]1301419804008615937[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

DFreshKing

Surprised a lot of people don't think he will be a starter. May need a little time to settle but i'd say he will be first choicer along with Pogba and Bruno in a dynamic technical 3. Matic brings experience to see out games and play a deep lying position when required but even then if we need a more defensive setup VDB who has played 6 more than any other position will still have shout for making the team as we do not have any better combative midfielders.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm probably being thick, but how does /be:k/ correctly explain the pronunciation of his name, which is 'bake'?

Pagh Wraith

I'm probably being thick, but how does /be:k/ correctly explain the pronunciation of his name, which is 'bake'?
It's not bake, /be:k/ is correct. See my post above (#375). It's the closest approximation in most forms of English, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.