Donny van de Beek /beːk/| Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjaakmeoff

So unlike Frenkie De Jong or Ziyech, Donny has been with Ajax since he was a toddler. Small town lad who made it big. It’s one of the warmest send offs I’ve ever seen for a player.

Interested to know if De Ligt got the same send off to Juve? Any Ajax fans here who could shed light on this? He too was an Ajax kid through and through.
Of course

Marty1968

Absolute class letter from Van der Sar. And great news that he's at the top of their club for any more Ajax wonderkids who want to dream after a few years cutting their teeth in the dutch league with regular champions league experience (like Gravenberch).

meamth

I'd expect our front pressing will be so formidable next season.

Martial, Rashford, VDB and Bruno pressing like mad dogs. We can win something, have faith.

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair we do see to have met their asking price straight away instead of spending months lowballing them . Plus, they may be particularity glad of the money this year. Wasn't the Dutch league outright cancelled due to Covid? They have had no matchday or TV revenue in a long time. The Premier League may be coping financially, but I imagine many of the smaller leagues have taken an enormous financial hit from Covid.
Well this is what happens when you ask for a fair price

laughtersassassin

Looks to me if we want to utilise him we are going to have to start crossing the ball in and crossing it in early too.

I'm all for that as we are a team who practically never crossed which I really feel hampers us. That said not sure we have the personell to do it.

kirk buttercup

Just reading some of the stuff VdB has said after signing , with the way Ajax have Done this deal and their send off and the fact he took the no.34 for his friend and the story that comes with that . This guy is going to be a Fan favourite alright. Also OGS spoke about getting the right player in with the right mindset, We can see what Ole is building here . Welcome Donny ! Cant wait to see this lad

OrcaFat

Looks to me if we want to utilise him we are going to have to start crossing the ball in and crossing it in early too.

I'm all for that as we are a team who practically never crossed which I really feel hampers us. That said not sure we have the personell to do it.
Yes I think Ole has bought him as a centre midfielder who will get into the box. In fact I would describe him as a cross between some elements of David Platt and Lampard, in style that is, with a bit of extra mobility.

We don’t get enough guys in the box when the ball is out wide primed for a cross.

Maybe he gets in as a regular but if he begins as a rotation option, he would be very useful to come off the bench with 25 / 30 to go. I’m not trying to sell him short but there will be stiff competition for midfield places. Thank feck.

Anyway, he improves us greatly and I wish him good fortune.

redshaw

Welcome to Donny.

Glad he didn't turn his beek up at us and decided to join.

AgentP

Can someone with a better knowledge of Van De Beek tell me what kind of a player can we expect him to be? From what I read so far, he has exceptional movement and can get into the box and score goals. But his passing, creativity and technical ability are not of the highest level.

There are some comparisons to Lampard. In my eyes, maybe he is more like Muller. If he can get anywhere close to the goals and assists record of those two, then we have a hell of a player in our hands. But right now, I don’t see it. If he becomes a player who can consistently contribute 15 G/A per league season, then I’ll be happy.

Bloedrood

To be fair we do see to have met their asking price straight away instead of spending months lowballing them . Plus, they may be particularity glad of the money this year. Wasn't the Dutch league outright cancelled due to Covid? They have had no matchday or TV revenue in a long time. The Premier League may be coping financially, but I imagine many of the smaller leagues have taken an enormous financial hit from Covid.
TV revenue was already paid out. And Ajax has made a lot of profit these past few years.

The main reason Ajax are so cooperative is because they made a deal with Donny. There was a lot of interest already for him last summer, but he decided to stay and in return Ajax would cooperate with a transfer this summer if the right club comes along. When he stayed they upped his wages, but he didn't extend.

Ziyech had a similar deal. And supposedly so do Onana and Tagliafico.

PitTon

The understand between him anh Tadic is unreal. Same with the left back. Some of the passes Ziyech and Tadic are quality too. I think Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Greenwood could do that when they understand the way he moves during games.

Drifter

American
Welcome to OT Donny. Watching his first interview and the way he described himself. I'm getting that Roy Keane vibe.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The understand between him anh Tadic is unreal. Same with the left back. Some of the passes Ziyech and Tadic are quality too. I think Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Greenwood could do that when they understand the way he moves during games.
He's such an intelligent footballer I don't think it'll be long. Thank god we don't have Lukaku to point into imaginary spaces

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Am I the only one that's finding this whole "we'll take good care of him", "please take good care of our sweet boy" sentiment a little cringe? He's a 23 year old professional footballer, not a 2 month old Labrador.
He's a good boy!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not so sure about him. I guess 40m is the new 20m so might not end up as a flop, but I don't see him as a spectacular player. The idea of him just being a useful type of player is fine, but the step up is huge in terms of physicality and pace of the game. Either he takes the step up and becomes useful but not much more, or he doesn't take the step up and becomes useless as he doesn't possess any traits beyond that. I'm not sure about his technical abilities at the top level. His build isn't the best as his pace and power is mediocre, his passing is unspectacular. If he is a really good tackler or a shooter I don't know but he has to step up somewhere in there, imo.

Matriac

For those that still needs help with his name pronounciation. I'm sorry it's not that Ø/Å woman.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Am I the only one that's finding this whole "we'll take good care of him", "please take good care of our sweet boy" sentiment a little cringe? He's a 23 year old professional footballer, not a 2 month old Labrador.
It's not cringe but it is being overplayed a little.

RUCK4444

:lol: :lol: Aye, it’s a nice touch but enough is enough.

I’m not his biggest fan, not by a long way, but I wish that the club take good care of him. :D

Take him out for walks, give him a good brush.

zenith

Now we can finally be assured that that resting bruno or pogba is not likely to cause a massive drop in quality

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
All true except that Ajax is swimming in money, they have done a few big transfers lately. It's a financially healthy 100 million turnover club and has been for years, if you sell a few players for 80 or 50 million each in only a couple of seasons there is no financial need to sell more players. The need to sell players comes from Ajax' place in international football. They can't compete for the best players in the world with clubs that pay ten times the net salary Ajax can afford, Ajax resigned to that fact more than 20 years ago. So they have a go at CL success with players who are young and about to become the best in the world or might fall only a little short. That didn't always work in the past because of the wrong managers and buying players with a low ceiling and having the best players leaving too soon for clubs too modest. But it looks like the club has found it's niche a few years ago.

The trick for Ajax is to keep their best/highest potential players for 3 or 4 years instead of 1, 2 or 3 years and season them in CL and UEFA cup in a stable well gelled team, and sell a few of them to the biggest clubs like Barca, Real, Utd and Juventus. Then they not only don't have to worry about the transfer fees, they are high enough in this category of deals, they also keep the players happy this way and it attracts fresh big talents. This way Ajax is the best career choice for very talented 18-20 year olds from all over the world and transfers like these show that to them. The academy and the number of kids to pick from just isn't big enough to produce good enough players for every position every year. It also allows them to plan for a replacement and have stability during preparation and CL qualification. If they keep this up they will be in the latter stages of the CL again in some of the coming years. So it would actually be quite stupid to try to hold on to Van den Beek and other best players and disrupt the continuity of what makes them successful.

El-Manos

I'm not so sure about him. I guess 40m is the new 20m so might not end up as a flop, but I don't see him as a spectacular player. The idea of him just being a useful type of player is fine, but the step up is huge in terms of physicality and pace of the game. Either he takes the step up and becomes useful but not much more, or he doesn't take the step up and becomes useless as he doesn't possess any traits beyond that. I'm not sure about his technical abilities at the top level. His build isn't the best as his pace and power is mediocre, his passing is unspectacular. If he is a really good tackler or a shooter I don't know but he has to step up somewhere in there, imo.
I suggest you rewatch some of his matches. You didn’t describe him all too well there.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Big mistake getting rid of cases! Particularly the genitive. Sadly the same thing is slowly happening in German with people substituting genitive for dative. König der Niederlande sounds so much better than König von den Niederlanden. Replacing "des" for masculine/neuter nouns with "von dem" is even worse.

Sorry for off-topic rant.
:lol:

I can tell you're used to cases, but I don't think you will find anyone in the Netherlands agreeing with you. They would rather tell Germans to get rid of their bloody cases cause it makes the language hard to learn. (mit nach bei seit von zu aus gegenüber an...vorbei 'bis zu' - high school stuff of nightmares!)

I'm not a Dutch speaker, but i understand German, and both German and my own language have many similarities with Dutch.
The way you say "e" in English is how we say "i", our "e" is pronounced how you say it in egg.
So to say Beek, my guess would be to just pronounce the Es like when you say the word egg in English - and no A-sound like many have suggested.
'Beek' is pronounced pretty much exactly like the first 'e' in German 'geben'. English 'bake' comes very-very close. @Pagh Wraith is wright that 'bake' has a diphthong, as there is a kind of 'y' sound (English 'y') just before you get to the k. Skip that when pronouncing 'Beek' and you're golden.

Or just pronounce it exactly like 'bake' and you're really close. I don't think Donny will come and take care of you if you mispronounce it; he doesn't seem the type.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
'Beek' is pronounced pretty much exactly like the first 'e' in German 'geben'. English 'bake' comes very-very close. @Pagh Wraith is wright that 'bake' has a diphthong, as there is a kind of 'y' sound (English 'y') just before you get to the k. Skip that when pronouncing 'Beek' and you're golden.

Or just pronounce it exactly like 'bake' and you're really close. I don't think Donny will come and take care of you if you mispronounce it; he doesn't seem the type.
Yeah, i know how to pronounce it, since i can sortof speak German, maybe it was just my attemt to explain it to the others that was a bit bad :P

Status
Not open for further replies.