Donny van de Beek /beːk/| Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexthelion

Anyone else kind of realised Ajax is their 2nd favourite club?
Have been for me since the 70s and a school trip to Holland and Belgium. One place visited was the Ajax stadium.

Just a shame I was really too young to appreciate it.

TsuWave

Van de Beek. Nobody talks much about him,” Pochettino said before the second-leg last year. “But he has a dynamic in the game, he gets behind Tadic, he arrives, he works, he scores goals.

“Logically, I love De Jong and De Ligt. But the example of the operation of this Ajax is Van de Beek. I like very much
.”

reelworld

So happy with this signing.

I wanted him ever since he was linked with us.
He's gonna be a fantastic competition and cover for all 3 midfield position

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Van de Beek. Nobody talks much about him,” Pochettino said before the second-leg last year. “But he has a dynamic in the game, he gets behind Tadic, he arrives, he works, he scores goals.

“Logically, I love De Jong and De Ligt. But the example of the operation of this Ajax is Van de Beek. I like very much
.”
Amadeus likes this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I speak Dutch fluently and have been living in Amsterdam since I was a nipper. It’s pronounced Bake. Beek = a brook. Donny of the Brook. Brook sounds like trousers in Dutch.
Yup, that's how our commentator pronouncing it and he's a former pro from the area and speaks the languague. Whilst on the topic of pronounciation you might add that 'van' is pronounced like 'fan'. We should know that by know as United fans but simpler names than that are frequently misspelled here.

I think Ornstein wrote a piece on it for theathletic I don’t have a subscription but from what I gathered he was closed to joking them for €50 TWICE with only the medical pending, and I think Corona is the reason the deal didn’t cross the line

Yeah. Didn't buy him before last season because they didn't manage to offload players to fun him and they had done everything but the medical to sign him in the summer but Real cancelled it because of Covid. They called back Ödegaard instead and aren't doing any big transfers is what was written.

Okey

Can we sign someone else from Ajax? They are a very good club to deal with, very pleasant people.
Also, we might sell someone back to them
Maybe Romero if someone signs Onana? He's been in Holland before so would be a natural looking move. Keep the relationship going. They always produce gems over there.

el3mel

Congrats ! Really great signing and great business from us. I have been buzzing about it since the news broke down.

Great addition to our midfield, that looks more solid than ever. Pogba, Bruno, Matic, VDB, Fred, Scott. I can't ask for better set personally.

Chief123

Comments by Rio Ferdinand:

"I’ve got a little stat here; in the last three seasons if you put him up against any of the midfielders in the Premier League in terms of goal involvements, where do you think he ranks?

"At a guess I said seventh. He’s second only to Kevin de Bruyne.

"In the last three seasons he’s scored 40 goals and provided 29 assists. Only De Bruyne has more! That’s unbelievable – he’s one of the best in the world so he’s sitting in good company."

:D :D :D:D:D:D

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Fantastic signing. Bruno and de Beek will be our Modric and Kroos, Silva and de Bruyne.
Woah, a bit too optimistic, ain't it? Modric/Krpos and Silva/DeBruyne are definitely a class apart. If our combo can get to 80% of their standard, I'd be super delighted.

Quinzaine

It won't be a popular opinion, but I don't think we will ever get near to winning the premiership again with Rashford and Martial as our main attacking options. Neither are clinical enough for that to happen.
I'm sorry given this is the Van De Beek thread but I have to call out this nonsense. They're slowly becoming two of the most disrespected players we've ever had. As a duo they were quite literally in 'title-winning' form last season, they scored 45 goals between them - the exact same amount as Salah and Mane together in a far poorer team and having played significantly less minutes. Roughly 140 goals and 70 assists between them for the club at the ages of 22 and 24 in one of the most disjointed spells in the club's history. Not to mention they (in specific Martial) came through for us when our supposed top players such as Maguire, Bruno and Pogba were very poor towards the back end of the top 4 chase. Both have quite literally carried us at times this season and as soon as it seems like we're starting to build a team where they get to play with players on the same wavelength as opposed to the Pereira's and Lingard's the usual depreciating comments come out again. Shame.

As for Van De Beek I think it's a very smart move. On top of getting a really good player we now provide ourselved the option to rest Bruno and Pogba and keep them fresh over a season without worrying about a significant drop off in quality. His performances in Europe are very encouraging too.

el3mel

A better Herrera. Herrera is so overrated here
He's continuously bashed even in threads that doesn't have anything to do with him like this one so at this moment I don't even know he's "overrated". More like "underrated" by how he's still getting bashed by many even 1 year after he left.

el3mel

It's a rubbish interview. Multiple rephrased questions asking the same thing.
Does anyone really still see these interviews ? It's always the same questions with the same answers for every player and every club.

KennyBurner

Ive watched a couple videos of him and his technique seems very disappointing. i think his best position is rather central midfielder than an attacking midfielder. Im hoping he can develop better in this area given his age. It seems his strenghts so far are workrate and versatility.

DarkLord

I'll be honest. I've never heard much of him before we were linked to him so it seems like he must have been very under the radar and underrated. Very reasonable and "low" fee with the current inflated market. Hopefully he will become a key player for us and not just a backup like Mata. The way Ajax handle his transfer and announce his departure is so classy.

SAFMUTD

Sure its nice to have him, some pressure on any of the 3 midfielders to perform otherwise this guy is going to take their place. No disrispect but Fred, McTominay, Pereira and Lingard dont really challenge for it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I'll be honest. I've never heard much of him before we were linked to him so it seems like he must have been very under the radar and underrated. Very reasonable and "low" fee with the current inflated market. Hopefully he will become a key player for us and not just a backup like Mata. The way Ajax handle his transfer and announce his departure is so classy.
He was linked with Real when Ajax made it to the last 4 of the CL last season.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Anyone think he's being bought to become a DM, to sit behind Pogba and Bruno, or besides Pogba if need gonna sit deep too.

Seems more like cover for Bruno and Pogba to me.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Comments by Rio Ferdinand:

"I’ve got a little stat here; in the last three seasons if you put him up against any of the midfielders in the Premier League in terms of goal involvements, where do you think he ranks?

"At a guess I said seventh. He’s second only to Kevin de Bruyne.

"In the last three seasons he’s scored 40 goals and provided 29 assists. Only De Bruyne has more! That’s unbelievable – he’s one of the best in the world so he’s sitting in good company."

:D :D :D:D:D:D
I'm not surprised with this. When I think about what ole and Woodwards plan was - it was to go start going after more statistically good players or at least have some statistics backing them up when we do make a move.
I was waiting for the right stats to come for this guys even if it is in a lighter league he should progress given some time to do so.

Squeaky Bumtime

Is his name pronounced bake like in great British bake off?

Also he looks like Senijad Ibričić's son

INF-AMOS

Herrera wasn't smart on the pitch. Enthusiastic, sure, but not very talented.
Not unlike a collie dog chasing an empty crisp packet around a windy playing field at times.
VDB will hopefully bring that energy but with better control.

Last edited:

DannyDee

Btw how classy are Ajax. They replied to the man Utd instagram announcement with “take care of him, guys”
One of the clubs outside of the EPL I regularly want to see do well unless they are facing us. A club that regularly produces legendary players and is etched in the history of European football.

Status
Not open for further replies.