Donny van de Beek /beːk/| Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Brook sounds like trousers in Dutch.
Trying to wrap my head around what sort of oral gymnastics you’d have to perform for this to be true

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It won't be a popular opinion, but I don't think we will ever get near to winning the premiership again with Rashford and Martial as our main attacking options. Neither are clinical enough for that to happen.
It will indeed be unpopular, and rightly so.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I speak Dutch fluently and have been living in Amsterdam since I was a nipper. It’s pronounced Bake. Beek = a brook. Donny of the Brook. Brook sounds like trousers in Dutch.
I'm still Donny of the Brook
Used to play with De Ligt now I play with Dalot

El-Manos

This fella’s name is about to get crucified I’d say. As previously mentioned it’s pronounced:” bake” not “beak”

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
It shows the respect we have in holland, no chance they be doing all this if he was going to City or PSG
sorry to say this, but this isn't true. Donny would have got the same send-off regardless of what top club he signed for

Jack-C20

of as in from
Cheers I’ve been wondering about this for a couple of weeks. Bothered me that I couldn’t think of another Dutch player where there was an ‘R’ missing from the ‘Der’ when they had ‘Van’ in their name. I’m sure there’s loads but I couldn’t think and never got round to googling it. I should probably start worrying about more important things.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just heard the Dutch commentator pronounce his name as "Bake" in a farewell video by Ajax.
Mentioned this on his transfer thread. If he doesn't score a hat-trick on his debut, I'll start calling him Van de Fake ;)

Last edited:

diarm

Mentioned this on his transfer thread. If he doesn't score a hat-trick on his debut, I'd start calling him Van der Fake ;)
I'll be telling anyone who'll listen that "Van de" is Dutch for "Half".

Bloedrood

I just heard the Dutch commentator pronounce his name as "Bake" in a farewell video by Ajax.
There's one Dutch commentator that calls him Donny from the little river, as that's basically a loose English translation of his last name.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Trying to wrap my head around what sort of oral gymnastics you’d have to perform for this to be true
Cina's mum is good with oral gymnastics.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Cheers I’ve been wondering about this for a couple of weeks. Bothered me that I couldn’t think of another Dutch player where there was an ‘R’ missing from the ‘Der’ when they had ‘Van’ in their name. I’m sure there’s loads but I couldn’t think and never got round to googling it. I should probably start worrying about more important things.
I think Der is old Dutch, it’s the same as De.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Anybody noticed utd's latest post on IG has a caption that has a familiar sound to it?

Jack-C20

I’ve seen a few lookalikes thrown in now. Anyone said Woody Harrelson yet? No? Just me? Ok then.

sourdough satellite

New chant:

Don't be fooled by the wages on the books
I'm still, I'm still Donny from the Brook
Used to have a little, now I have a lot
No matter where I go, I know where I came from (from the Brook!)

Jack-C20

i thought that earlier ;)
In fairness a few of my lookalikes recently have been hit and miss. I’ll often google who I thought it looked like and realise I’ve morphed their face to suit what I’m thinking. I still stand by a young Woody Harrelson... at certain angles.

Traub

I'm glad we managed to announce this before the NYSE closed today, it would've been a long night otherwise.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Ajax as per usual a class act. Absolutely love our relationship with them. Can only be beneficial.

TsuWave

Anyone knows the details why his RM move failed?
I think Ornstein wrote a piece on it for theathletic I don’t have a subscription but from what I gathered he was closed to joking them for €50 TWICE with only the medical pending, and I think Corona is the reason the deal didn’t cross the line

CiroDiMarzio

I’ve seen a few lookalikes thrown in now. Anyone said Woody Harrelson yet? No? Just me? Ok then.
Came here to post this! Kid is like a Cheers era Woody Harrelson!

Absolutely everything about this transfer is fantastic! Love to see it!

TsuWave

I posted this yesterday in the other thread and someone quoted saying they don’t think he’ll get many more:

His IG is at 1.2M and a substantial amount of those are United fans.

wonder how many he's going to be on a week after the announcement. United is a great stage for players.
He’s gained 200K in a day. Will be a lot more by end of the week and touch 2M when the season starts/he makes his debut. That United exposure :drool:

Walters_19_MuFc

I think Ole night be planning on playing a diamond
Don't think he will. He just wants options. One of those options will allow him to move to a diamond if needs be, but I am certain he will continue with his default 4231 formation, which I feel has served us pretty well.

DysenteryGary

I think Der is old Dutch, it’s the same as De.
I'm from Belgium and I speak Dutch. "Van de" means "from the" and is correct Dutch. "Van Der" I think is indeed more ancient Dutch - could be wrong - and just stuck with the last name.

The word "Beek" in English would be best translated to "bake", although the pronunciation differs. The sound of the English word "beak" is definitely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.