Donny van de Beek /beːk/| Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsyking

At the end of the season a proper alternative to Fernandes looked obvious. Solskjaer clearly doesn't trust Lingard/Pereira as the number 10 and prefers Pogba in a deeper position. We needed another decent number 10.

Williams does a decent job as a back up lb at present while we find an alternative, and we all know about the RW position.
Williams does not do a decent job, he is not good it is not hard to see it. And telling me that we all know about the RW does not make it disappear. Fixing secondary problems while we have major defects is not good management. I guess we should pray Greenwood step up and Shaw remains injury free.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Williams does not do a decent job, he is not good it is not hard to see it. And telling me that we all know about the RW does not make it disappear. Fixing secondary problems while we have major defects is not good management. I guess we should pray Greenwood step up and Shaw remains injury free.
You're being way OTT.

Williams is hardly a shocker is he? yes he can improve in places but he was 19 this season. He isn't first choice and only playing because Shaw is injured.

What other LB are even available right now? There's many 2/3 that could improve us but they won't be happy being 2nd choice.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He is not totally wrong though. Maybe he is not a panic buy. But his position is our least problem. You cant buy back up players to your starting 11 while you have been short of a left back and a right winger for many many years. This squad management is not optimal. Sir Alex would have never done so. Ignore a position for 7 years.
Hehe. You should have a dig round some old threads on here. Use the search term “central midfield”.

Fluctuation0161

He is not totally wrong though. Maybe he is not a panic buy. But his position is our least problem. You cant buy back up players to your starting 11 while you have been short of a left back and a right winger for many many years. This squad management is not optimal. Sir Alex would have never done so. Ignore a position for 7 years.
Paul Merson is always totally wrong.

izec

Not good enough on the ball. For an Ajax product, he surprisingly lacks the technical skill. But you don't have to be elite on it if you have other invaluable traits. Will be interesting to see how he develops here.

Would have taken Grealish over him any day though. I am not convinced, think he looked good because of the movement in the Ajax side, which we don't have. Will be a challenge to get the best out of him. Similarly to Müller under Kovac, who looked average and went to his best under Flick. Players like this need a specific setup and role to really shine. I am skeptical in regards to our on the ground coaching, you really need to know what you are doing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're being way OTT.

Williams is hardly a shocker is he? yes he can improve in places but he was 19 this season. He isn't first choice and only playing because Shaw is injured.

What other LB are even available right now? There's many 2/3 that could improve us but they won't be happy being 2nd choice.
Shaw is ridiculously injury prone. We should buy a first teamer

Litch

Can't say I've seen enough of him but certainly not going to be stupid enough to judge him on a 'cameo' especially when he's not played any football since lockdown. Some of our fan base are ridiculous in how they write off players before they have even kicked a ball for us.....

Adamsk7

The guy played 15 minutes. He’s not played competitive football since before lockdown......sheesh.

Mac Asimov

We have a desperate brand of so called fans on here (maybe they are just trolls looking for attention, I dont know). The guy was only on the pitch a short while after an abnormally long period without competitive football and already the ignorant are writing him off.

Football fans me arse!

Some of you guys need to get a life.

Adam-Utd

Not good enough on the ball. For an Ajax product, he surprisingly lacks the technical skill. But you don't have to be elite on it if you have other invaluable traits. Will be interesting to see how he develops here.

Would have taken Grealish over him any day though. I am not convinced, think he looked good because of the movement in the Ajax side, which we don't have. Will be a challenge to get the best out of him. Similarly to Müller under Kovac, who looked average and went to his best under Flick. Players like this need a specific setup and role to really shine. I am skeptical in regards to our on the ground coaching, you really need to know what you are doing.
:lol: my god

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not wrong though. Vd Beek profited greatly from the typical technical Ajax players around him. Their creativity combined with his depth and ability to get in the box made them lethal. That's also the role he should play, he's not overly creative or technical as you might suspect an Ajax player to be.

Doesnt mean he's bad, just different.

Adam-Utd

He's not wrong though. Vd Beek profited greatly from the typical technical Ajax players around him. Their creativity combined with his depth and ability to get in the box made them lethal. That's also the role he should play, he's not overly creative or technical as you might suspect an Ajax player to be.

I've watched him plenty, he's got a great first touch, strong on both feet and scores lots of goals with no first touch.

How exactly do you describe that as a player with poor technique? it's just not correct at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I've watched him plenty, he's got a great first touch, strong on both feet and scores lots of goals with no first touch.

How exactly do you describe that as a player with poor technique? it's just not correct at all.
I'm not saying he has poor technique at all. He has adequate technique, but not like Van der Vaart, Ziyech, Litmanen or whatever people associate with an Ajax player. That's not a slight on him, just the type of player he is.

Joseunited

15 minutes game time in the last 5 months and you've just written him off :lol:

izec

15 minutes game time in the last 5 months and you've just written him off :lol:
I have not written him off. That was my opinion way before we bought him. All documented on here. He looked good for Ajax, but how he will look at United will be interesting to see. He is not a player you just place in team x or y and it works automatically. But that is just me, so lets see

Matthew84!

Can't believe the negatively on here, give him at least a few games playing for us before he gets slated, the way we played the back end of the season he'll fit in really well,

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Couple chants for The Don,

like Daddy Cool

Donny, Van De Beek
Donny, Van De Beek

Repeat

Sang like Denis Denis by Blondie

Donny Donny!
He’s a red through and through

Donny Donny!
He fecking hates the blues

Donny Donny!
United love you
I like the first one. Which is something I very rarely say about the chants made up on here! :lol:

There are far worse technically than him plying their trade in the top 6 let alone the PL. Hes a good signing but nobody should he expecting him to be an instant starter. Hes got a lot of energy and tenacity that will set him up well for this league but he will need some time, he is young and Eredivisie is miles off the PL currently. We mostly lack somebody to change the direction of play and he can do that.

Withnail

Are you sure about that? :lol:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Anyone knows the details why his RM move failed?
VDB says he thinks the deal broke down because players who where supposed to be leaving Madrid are now staying. Looks like Florentino could be putting all his eggs in the Mbappe basket.

One thing that worries me a little about VDB is his statement saying, "At the start you feel angry (when Madrid pulled out) and you ask yourself if the Madrid opportunity will come around again. All we need now is for him to have the fat Italian as his agent to really stir things up.

Pavl3n

Only problem with that is the level of opposition. We've seen some really average players do good numbers in that league in recent years.
Agree. Depay springs into mind right away. But then there was also Blind.

I trust on Ole's abilities to improve a player, based on the improvement we saw in Martial, Fred and Greenwood.
So I think Donny will come on the good end.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
VDB says he thinks the deal broke down because players who where supposed to be leaving Madrid are now staying. Looks like Florentino could be putting all his eggs in the Mbappe basket.

One thing that worries me a little about VDB is his statement saying, "At the start you feel angry (when Madrid pulled out) and you ask yourself if the Madrid opportunity will come around again. All we need now is for him to have the fat Italian as his agent to really stir things up.
Except if I remember correctly, the statement continues by him saying that he was over the moon that Man United showed up, and so he is very happen that he got his transfer to a global top club after all. (Not literally his words, but that's the sentiment I remember.) I wouldn't be too worried about this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm sure we will have games when Ole wants to switch to 442 diamond and that's where he will be able to field those three together as a starting XI. Remember that he used to play that formation few times especially against the top opposition with Lingard as his false 9 and the two strikers stretching the defense. He had some good results with it against Chelsea, PSG & Arsenal.

Fergie 7ime

Baffled by the negativity on here. For the past two years this guy proved himself on a higher level than our beloved team were displaying on the pitch. He will be absolutely fine.

ghagua

Sorry, have to ask, have been watching the right player? Not sure how he will perform at United, but it won't be because of his lack of technical skills.

AsonUnique

He will have Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood around him, he will be fine. Physically he is up for the Premier League and the pressing we want to do. He is such a smart player with late runs and clever passing in and near the box. People are acting like we signed a poor man's Fellaini.

Reactions: Penna

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was thinking he had an arguable point, as it’s an area we are strong in. But any small amount of credit I gave Merson went out the window when he said we shouldn’t sign Sancho.
I don't think he has an arguable point since he has zero idea some of the troubles we went through last season. And I thought as United fans, you should know very well.

We are trying to upgrade the deadwood and Mata, Pereira, Lingard are currently on the list of deadwood that Ole doesn't think good enough to even playing them to change game to sub any of our starting XI. VDB is the purpose of that to upgrade one or two of the deadwood and give an option that we can bring from the bench.

VDB is like the midfielder version of Lingard since both offer similar main assets that some teams need which are both are versatile (VDB can play as 6,8,10 while Lingard can play left, right, centre), both are known with their off ball movement, find space, press, good stamina and like to make a run in the box. The massive difference is that VDB has such a good composure that he knows what to do in the opposition box when on the ball which reflects to his number stats in end product and it's something we can utilise especially to bring when we need to change the game by scoring goals. I just hope people don't expect him to be like Bruno or Pogba because he's not since he's not playmaker.

End of the day, VDB is the signing we need, people in this forum and the media have been moaning about the lack quality on the bench & lack of quality depth when needed to be used. You expect 35m as sort of the fees you want to invest on such a player. He's not just a mere backup since he is very useful for us if we want to change formation to 442 diamond (the formation we used once last season and many times in Ole's first season).

I don't think he has an arguable point since he has zero idea some of the troubles we went through last season. And I thought as United fans, you should know very well.

We are trying to upgrade the deadwood and Mata, Pereira, Lingard are currently on the list of deadwood that Ole doesn't think good enough to even playing them to change game to sub any of our starting XI. VDB is the purpose of that to upgrade one or two of the deadwood and give an option that we can bring from the bench.

VDB is like the midfielder version of Lingard since both offer similar main assets that some teams need which are both are versatile (VDB can play as 6,8,10 while Lingard can play left, right, centre), both are known with their off ball movement, find space, press, good stamina and like to make a run in the box. The massive difference is that VDB has such a good composure that he knows what to do in the opposition box when on the ball which reflects to his number stats in end product and it's something we can utilise especially to bring when we need to change the game by scoring goals. I just hope people don't expect him to be like Bruno or Pogba because he's not since he's not playmaker.

End of the day, VDB is the signing we need, people in this forum and the media have been moaning about the lack quality on the bench & lack of quality depth when needed to be used. You expect 35m as sort of the fees you want to invest on such a player. He's not just a mere backup since he is very useful for us if we want to change formation to 442 diamond (the formation we used once last season and many times in Ole's first season).
RW and CB are bigger priorities.

However, the transfer window in not linear, we don’t buy our biggest priority first. Let’s see where we are at the end.

I’m not defending Merson, and I didn’t say I agreed with him, just that the interview starts out with him having a point that could be arguable.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He will have Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood around him, he will be fine. Physically he is up for the Premier League and the pressing we want to do. He is such a smart player with late runs and clever passing in and near the box. People are acting like we signed a poor man's Fellaini.
That's insane, Fellaini has much better hair.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
RW and CB are bigger priorities.

However, the transfer window in not linear, we don’t buy our biggest priority first. Let’s see where we are at the end.

I’m not defending Merson, and I didn’t say I agreed with him, just that the interview starts out with him having a point that could be arguable.
People have also been crying about us need to upgrade the depth squad quality this summer and I think in both the manager & lot of the fans are in agreement about it after this VDB's signing. You sign what's available. If the targets might be unattainable this year for reasonable price, and we decide to go with someone below the quality of the targets then it's called panic buy. Rather than calling RW & CB are bigger priorities, signing the right ones are much more important.

People have also been crying about us need to upgrade the depth squad quality this summer and I think in both the manager & lot of the fans are in agreement about it after this VDB's signing. You sign what's available. If the targets might be unattainable this year for reasonable price, and we decide to go with someone below the quality of the targets then it's called panic buy. Rather than calling RW & CB are bigger priorities, signing the right ones are much more important.
RW and CB are bigger priorities, and yes clearly we need depth and the right players, not just bodies.

Ultimately. We need to wait until the end of the window to see if those issues are addressed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
RW and CB are bigger priorities, and yes clearly we need depth and the right players, not just bodies.

Ultimately. We need to wait until the end of the window to see if those issues are addressed.
Signing the right player is more important than forcing ourselves to sign some RW & CB who don't meet our profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.