Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

He’s an awkwardly decent player but will definitely fail to find his strengths alongside Bruno and Pogba. He likes to run into space. Not a holding midfielder at all. Will be one of oles worst signings
Sounds like Anderson. Attack the space!

cyberman

He’s an awkwardly decent player but will definitely fail to find his strengths alongside Bruno and Pogba. He likes to run into space. Not a holding midfielder at all. Will be one of oles worst signings
Saw this post and, for curiosity sake, searched your post history concerning Dutch football with the obvious key words in the search bar.
Not one post on VDB, nothing about watching any Dutch games of any kind or the league in general. Hell i searched Dutch as a broad term and 8 posts in general appeared and they were concerning everything but actual Dutch football itself.
So im asking if youre a secret Ajax watcher who has never found the need to share your opinions on here or are you being pessimistic for the sake of it? Just how have you been able to judge the talents of VDB?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Saw this post and, for curiosity sake, searched your post history concerning Dutch football with the obvious key words in the search bar.
Not one post on VDB, nothing about watching any Dutch games of any kind or the league in general. Hell i searched Dutch as a broad term and 8 posts in general appeared and they were concerning everything but actual Dutch football itself.
So im asking if youre a secret Ajax watcher who has never found the need to share your opinions on here or are you being pessimistic for the sake of it? Just how have you been able to judge the talents of VDB?
: popcorn:

SATA

Good work :lol:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What I don’t get is people on here losing it that we should’ve kept Herrera, yet we’ve signed a clear, more versatile upgrade thats also 6/7 years younger and people aren’t happy.
You’re all just going along with it because he’s not the exact sort of player we need. He’s a great squad addition and who knows he might become world class.

man united 4eva

After our impending signing of Donny van de Beek it got me thinking.. so just for fun.. i've made a team out of the players that United have signed from the Eredivisie in the Premier League era...

Raimond van der Gouw

Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Jaap Stam

Daley Blind

Alexander Buttner

Andreas Pereira

Donny van de Beek

Park Ji-Sung

Tahith Chong

Ruud van Nistelrooy

Memphis Depay

RedNed77

Yeah, they know where they stand in the grand scheme of things and that they have little to no choice of catching up any time soon with the European giants, so they're usually just happy their players are doing well. :)
They have more European cups than us.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He'll play in place of them and as a rotation option, depending on the tactic for the specific game. There will be no first 11 in a season were we play every 3/4 days.
Definitely this, to genuinely compete over 60+ games per season we will need a first team squad of 15 or 16 top quality players.
With VDB we now have a player of genuine class to compete with Pogba & Bruno, not the likes of Lingard or Pereira..!!

This is similar to why I'm baffled by people saying "United don't need Sancho, got Greenwood"
So you'd play an 18 year old kid, out of position, and run him into the ground for 60+ games, and no doubt tearing him and the manager to pieces when he loses form or is exhausted...Genius..!!

Last edited:

EdinburghDevil

From what I have seen of him, which granted isn't more than a handful of Champions League games, he will be an excellent addition to the squad. Especially if players like Mata, Andreas and Lingard are all going to get shipped out.

The end of last season proved we had a good starting XI but needed to turn that in to 14 or 15 players who could rotate with little or no drop off in the teams performance levels to compete for trophies and I see this signing as exactly that.

SATA

Why haven't we announce this yet? I know he is on international duty but we could have just put out an official statement or something. Quite bizarre

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't know where everyone has got this notion of him playing alongside those 2.

Basically every report on him has him as a 10 or attacking box to box. He'll play in place of them and as a rotation option, depending on the tactic for the specific game. There will be no first 11 in a season were we play every 3/4 days.
Agreed. Given the state of the team towards the end of last season a player with the quality and versatility of vdB will be hugely welcome. Whether or not he'd struggle in a midfield two with Pogba or Bruno is neither here nor there.

croadyman

i doubt we will sign many more if any. Apart from Chelsea spending is down pretty much across the board, so loads of signings just doesn't seem to be on the cards
Still think we get another one but any more than that will depend on whether we are able to make enough player sales

Teja

Definitely this, to genuinely compete over 60+ games per season we will need a first team squad of 15 or 16 top quality players.
With VDB we now have a player of genuine class to compete with Pogba & Bruno, not the likes of Lingard or Pereira..!!
Agree with this.

CM1: Matic / McT
CM2: Pogba / Fred
AM: Bruno / VdB

Probably good enough a line-up considering injuries, fatigue etc. Lingard (if he doesn't leave) will get his chances on the wing, so Pereira is the one that loses out here and that's fine.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Quote from Virgil van Dijk in Dutch media:

Het is geweldig voor Donny en het Nederlands elftal da t weer een speler bij zo’n prachtige club zit. Hetzelfde geldt voor Nathan bij Manchester City.
'It is awesome for Donny and the Dutch team that another player plays for such a brilliant club. The same goes for Nathan at Manchester City.'

Safe to say that everyone things this is a done deal - and that these players couldn't care less about all these rivalries. They're all just cool clubs to them. :)

Last edited:

Matriac

Why haven't we announce this yet? I know he is on international duty but we could have just put out an official statement or something. Quite bizarre
What's the rush?
Negotiations happened on the weekend. He did his medical on Monday, papers etc. was finalized yesterday.

It's our first transfer of the summer, and it's also Ajax losing a player that has been at the club for for 12 years. You would think both sides would like to prepare something a little more than just a simple statement. Reports so far is that Ajax is preparing an emotional goodbye announcement.

It's not like he could train with us any sooner than next week after the international games any way. :)

This is done, all muppets know it. Now they are preparing to capitalize on the moment as much as possible among the casuals. :D

RedNed77

Past perfect. Forest also have more European cups than City.
They also made the Champions League semis more recently than ourselves, despite "knowing where they stand in the grand scheme of things". I just found your comment a little condescending towards them. Yes they may not have the money that other clubs have but they have played the vdB transfer with class. Pissing on the club afterwards with condescension and arrogance just struck a nerve with me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They also made the Champions League semis more recently than ourselves, despite "knowing where they stand in the grand scheme of things". I just found your comment a little condescending towards them. Yes they may not have the money that other clubs have but they have played the vdB transfer with class. Pissing on the club afterwards with condescension and arrogance just struck a nerve with me.
That's not at all what I meant! :lol: I have similar sympathy for United and Ajax, I'm not trying to put anyone down. I'm from the Netherlands originally, I know the dynamics of the Dutch league and its international standing. I think what I said is just a realistic assessment of Ajax's position compared to clubs like United, and I think it's how Ajax see it themselves well.

It's not a question of money btw. Ajax are swimming in it after their huge recent transfers. It's just impossible for them to retain their best players given their league and relative international standings, and they're realistic about that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not the worst analysis of Vd Beek though. He's adequate and has depth. Whether that's good or bad is to be seen. You could say the same about Thomas Muller and he's had an okay career so far.

I for one can't wait to see how he does. Would be nice if he's brilliant. Though since he will always be an Ajacied, I wont lose sleep if he fails miserably :wenger:

POF

I should preface this by saying I don't give a shit as I'd rather have the Glazers money on the pitch than their bank.

Do we have the most expensive midfield ever assembled?
It's quite frightening that as a €40m signing, he'll be the 5th most expensive midfield player in the current squad!

sp_107

Agree with this.

CM1: Matic / McT
CM2: Pogba / Fred
AM: Bruno / VdB

Probably good enough a line-up considering injuries, fatigue etc. Lingard (if he doesn't leave) will get his chances on the wing, so Pereira is the one that loses out here and that's fine.
Where is Thiago?

sp_107

Compared to our last season first 3 months, We are now in much better shape

A fit Pogba with Bruno and VDB (like three new signings there itself) and a bit experienced Mason / Martial with an year Number-9 experience so I guess we can do a lot better this year.

If we just add 1 or 2 other quality players like a good RW, we will set for a good season i think.

Rolaholic

A few foreign journo's have claimed he was nailed on to join Madrid before the pandemic hit, his agent basically alluded to that

Rolaholic

I'm surprised that his agent mentioned Juventus as being one of the clubs being interested in him.
I'm not, Juventus's midfield was shambolic last season. To the point that Ronaldo was caught on camera in the tunnel complaining about their midfield to Dybala during the a CL match :lol:

They brought in Arthur for much needed help there and are still in the market for more MF help by most accounts since Pirlo took over.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is sarcasm right?
Haha, yes, I should post more on the football forum, my sarcasm is missed almost everytime here :) his 2 CL's world cup and 10(9?) BuLi trophies would rank him at least above average.

Muller is world class without having any "special" attribute. I think VdBeek could be similar, though if he will be world class lime Muller is yet to be seen. He has the same, dont complain, just work hard and play football mentality though, which bodes well for him Id say.

Kaos

I had a dream we re-signed Anderson and he completely bossed it for us, like a reborn, possessed midfield demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.