Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

nainaisson

Fabrizio looks a bit cautious. Either he doesn't know enough about it or else anu deal is still in early stages
The fact that he refused to play in the friendly indicates something's up. Otherwise, I'd say we're "monitoring" him as he joins another club, like we did recently with Gabriel.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Fabrizio looks a bit cautious. Either he doesn't know enough about it or else anu deal is still in early stages
We won't get any instant updates on potential negotiations/offers unless there's an insider. If there would be any news of an offer or some more significant movement, we'd probably get it after a few hours.

Ekeke

Pogba will probably be fine in a few weeks. But yes, we do need depth and he can cover all midfield positions so his versatility makes him a good addition.
It does as long as we accept that he isnt similar to Matic and so he's not here to take over or cover Matic. So Matic isnt the one who is going to lose out in selection and future at United. It'll be between Fred and McTominay, with Pereira and Lingard surely leaving. One of Fred and McTominay will still get some good gametime, say 12-15 league starts the other isnt going to play much other than in dire circumstances and a few cup games, maybe 10 starts in the league like Lingard and Mata who got 9 and 8 starts. Or Milner or Foden last season both with 9.

DVB is an upgrade on either player most likely but bringing him in does mean it'll be harder for them to play and thats without signing Matic's replacement which we'd still need in a year so the competition for midfield places only gets harder. At that point we'd also have some young players who will want chances or they may go the same way as Angel Gomes.

I can't see either Fred or McTominay being happy to play as little as would be the case longterm if they were behind each other in the pecking order, after Pogba, Matic and Fernandes as starters. Especially Fred who came in as a big name signing and would surely still find a team that wants to take a chance on him as a starter as they try to go to the next level.

izec

I won’t comment on his ability because I’ve no idea but how the hell is 23 not young?
I dont think 23 is young for a footballer. 21 and under, but 23 is pretty seasoned and mid age in a couple of years. Again, for a footballer.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not really what we need, is it. I guess €40M for squad depth must be the going rate at the moment. I think Ole sees Fred as Matic's natural successor?
Based on last season, yeah, Ole sees Fred as our main #6. I also think that the recent van de Beek activity might mean that we might have some more outgoing transfers coming up.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Looking like we might be getting him. Haven't watched him much, can any of the resident caf fans who support teams from Eredivise shed some reviews on him? @KirkDuyt ?

roseguy64

Good player and versatile, covere Bruno and Pogba, makes more sense than Grealish and for half the price if true.

Ole is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Fred is a #6, he's a decent box to box but positionally he's poor and that's a big issue when playing in a double pivot as he often ends up ahead of Pogba, teams will run through us like a hot curry with a laxative chaser.
He played him in that position in the Europa QF and SF so clearly something to it. And Fred was good in those games.

manuchamp88

Not sure I really remember too many bad games from Herrera tbh, so I don't agree with that assessment. He has generally always been a consistent player.
I just remember him having 1 good season. The rest of the time he was fairly unremarkable. We were right to offer squad wages and he was punching above his weight in wage terms. I just hope V.D.Beek is a level above, that's all.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If OGS wants him, in these commercially constrainted times, I’m sure he solves several issues identified in post lockdown run, and has the big data to back that up.

I’m fine if he is being acquired to strengthen the squad at a minimum, also expecting he will develop further. Ajax players all have impeccable football basics. And we should also expect that he will improve with pogba, Bruno and Martial around him.

Frown what I know he has fantastic mentality, is a warrior type figure and has amazing stamina to match his classical football skills.

Get him, a similar profile CB and Sancho and it’s great business.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Looking like we might be getting him. Haven't watched him much, can any of the resident caf fans who support teams from Eredivise shed some reviews on him? @KirkDuyt ?
He's a decent player, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to succeed in the top. He benefits greatly from having creative players around him who can utilize his depth. He just doesnt have a single wow factor ability. He's decent at everything without glaring weaknesses. Though you can also say that about Thomas Muller and he's world class.

He works hard though and he's a normal down to Earth kid. No weird antics no drama, just trying his best to succeed. Think that's a boon too.

Honestly though @Sjaakmeoff would be a better source. He supports Ajax. Asking me is like asking Graeme Sounnes if he rates Pogba.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Do you really think we have a huge warchest? i rather have a RW,CB or CDM to improve the team than this guy wich we already have Bruno,Pogba,McT,Fred who can play there. Lingard and Pereira is mostly used on the wing in the front.
Pereira isnt used on the wing and Lingard hardly are either. They both played where Bruno played before he came. We have no cover for Bruno that Ole trusts. Pretty sure we will also sign a RW. Pretty sure we don’t only have 40m euros available this summer.

We have 7 CBs we’ll sella few before we sign another

Agree on CDM but that seems like McTom is going to get a chance there and Fred gets the nod there for the Europa Semi. Im not happy about that but we havent been linked with a DM all summer, better to get over it

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I just remember him having 1 good season. The rest of the time he was fairly unremarkable. We were right to offer squad wages and he was punching above his weight in wage terms. I just hope V.D.Beek is a level above, that's all.
Fair enough. I rate him higher than you personally, so if he is a level above I would love and hope that too.

ArjenIsM3

It does as long as we accept that he isnt similar to Matic and so he's not here to take over or cover Matic. So Matic isnt the one who is going to lose out in selection and future at United. It'll be between Fred and McTominay, with Pereira and Lingard surely leaving. One of Fred and McTominay will still get some good gametime, say 12-15 league starts the other isnt going to play much other than in dire circumstances and a few cup games, maybe 10 starts in the league like Lingard and Mata who got 9 and 8 starts. Or Milner or Foden last season both with 9.

DVB is an upgrade on either player most likely but bringing him in does mean it'll be harder for them to play and thats without signing Matic's replacement which we'd still need in a year so the competition for midfield places only gets harder. At that point we'd also have some young players who will want chances or they may go the same way as Angel Gomes.

I can't see either Fred or McTominay being happy to play as little as would be the case longterm if they were behind each other in the pecking order, after Pogba, Matic and Fernandes as starters. Especially Fred who came in as a big name signing and would surely still find a team that wants to take a chance on him as a starter as they try to go to the next level.
Correct, VDB is much more dynamic than Matic. Perhaps the club are hoping one of Levitt/Garner step up to take over from Matic in one or two years. Regardless, we need to move on Lingard, Pereira and Mata.

roseguy64

I really hope that's not accurate. I find it quite obvious that that's a terrible idea. A less bad idea would be to retain Garner at the club, as he can actually play that role, though it's still a big ask. It's just not Fred's game. He can be super sloppy under pressure, rushing his passing and creating trouble.
Garner needs constant first-team games. He's not gonna get that this season. Especially considering how vital CM is. The best thing for Garner is a loan to a Championship club.

Adamsk7

If we are merely “monitoring” Donny then why is he not playing and his manager is saying there’s been developments in a transfer? I don’t buy that. I think they are probably a bit behind on this one and are covering the bases.

Crashoutcassius

A different perspective is... we have Matic Pogba Fred McTominay for the double pivot and only Fernandes for the hole (plus lingard and andreas)... we need depth here.

I think most peoples objective is that they want to sign a new 'starter' but my best guess is we want to continue with the 4 we have for the double pivot for now and given some of their performances last season I think that is reasonable

DamoK

I think a lot of people are under rating this guy a small bit, he is a wonderful player. Can be great backup to our midfield when we are bound to have injuries.

Thought he was brilliant for Ajax when they got to the semis of the champions league, good first touch, hard working, good passing and can pop up with goals. Quality backup to Bruno and Pogba, if one of them were injured would you rather us have Van De Beek to come on or Lingard/Periera. Think this would be smart business for that price that's probably why we won't do it.

ArjenIsM3

I rate him. I'd say he's at his best at #8 but can play other positions in midfield too. High workrate, great stamina, and good technique. Don't expect him to carry the team or anything but he'll be a good addition to our squad.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He's a decent player, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to succeed in the top. He benefits greatly from having creative players around him who can utilize his depth. He just doesnt have a single wow factor ability. He's decent at everything without glaring weaknesses. Though you can also say that about Thomas Muller and he's world class.

He works hard though and he's a normal down to Earth kid. No weird antics no drama, just trying his best to succeed. Think that's a boon too.

Honestly though @Sjaakmeoff would be a better source. He supports Ajax. Asking me is like asking Graeme Sounnes if he rates Pogba.
Thanks! Best we can hope that he can raise a level here if he moves

WelshManc

You mean the Herrera who just had a blinder in the CL final and was only let down by his team mates? If he's as good as Herrera, I'd be extremely happy.
Maybe Herrera had a good game but he was never great, I loved how much he loved United but that's not enough for me, I just hope VdB would better than him. Also, where does he play? A midfield 3 of him, Pogba and Bruno? Would that even work?

-Supreme-

This would be good business for a reported £36m fee.

We could potentially recoup majority of this by selling Lingard and Andreas alone. I still reckon this will happen after we bought in their replacements.

WPMUFC

Im working under the assumption that we are so broke that any signing would likely be our only signing / one of two cheaper signings. So if we push for this, i guess we've walked from sancho

Martialfc

Fred and Mct aren’t good enough to start for united and Matic is getting old now. I welcome DVB even though I didn’t have a clue who he was but he looks decent on YouTube so sign him up!

lex talionis

If Donny is adequate cover for Bruno I'm all for bringing him in, provided we also bring in Sancho. We all saw how Bruno disintegrated over the last few matches, so the need is undeniable.

I hope we can find a new club for Lingard. As for Pereira, he probably needs to move on too but even with Fred and McTominay in the squad we could still make use of Pereira for one more season.

I wish our first signing this summer were Sancho, but Donny looks like a potential high quality additional to the squad.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe Herrera had a good game but he was never great, I loved how much he loved United but that's not enough for me, I just hope VdB would better than him. Also, where does he play? A midfield 3 of him, Pogba and Bruno? Would that even work?
Fair enough. I think it could in some games. Im not sure we'd have that in the big games, but he's versatile and could give us many different options for us to set up and play with

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was always my preferred “squad depth” option. Versatile, talented, hard-working and with a good mentality from what I know of him. He’s not as talented as Thiago/De Jong/Pogba, but who is?

Scholsey2004

Not a player I especially rate. I'd take him for £25m as midfield back up for Bruno but anything more than that would be overly generous. For a midfielder in a very possession based team he doesn't statistically make many passes. To me that's a bit of an alarm bell. Whoscored ranked him something like the 14th best player in the Eredivisie as well which doesn't really inspire confidence.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not a player I especially rate. I'd take him for £25m as midfield back up for Bruno but anything more than that would be overly generous. For a midfielder in a very possession based team he doesn't statistically make many passes. To me that's a bit of an alarm bell. Whoscored ranked him something like the 14th best player in the Eredivisie as well which doesn't really inspire confidence.
He's not necessarily there to get on the ball and create things. He's a dynamic player who'll make tons of runs and act as a pressure reliever for the more creative players. He tends to make a good number of runs through the defensive lines, and he tends to get a good few touches in the box as a result.

Defensively, he's a pest; he presses and harasses the opposition a ton, and he's key in winning the ball quickly.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I haven't got a clue if he's any good, but wikipedia reckons he's the new Davy Klaassen. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.