Donny Van De Beek

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks better and better each game I see him play. Been one of Ajax's best players in the UCL along with Tadic ex Southampton.

wythyred

I’d take that as a grave insult if I was Beeky, but one assumes you mean in his great movement around the pitch and goal threat.
You’re talking shite mate.

Frank Lampard is one of the greatest premier league players of all time.

He has won every club honour there is to win and holds the record for goals scored from midfield.

Dolf

Exactly the type of signing that we need. Works hard, Technically good, can score goals, can link midfield and attack, still hungry and always plays with his heart.
Hard work over talent.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can see why he'd be Real's backup to Pogba, really is a link between the midfield and attack

Bwuk

You can see why he'd be Real's backup to Pogba, really is a link between the midfield and attack
Yeah, he’s excellent on the counter from what I’ve seen of him.

I’d agree with the Lampard comparison. I’d take him here in a heart beat.

Swiss_Red89

He looks good. Certainly has a very good football brain and works very hard. We should be in for him in the summer!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looks good. Certainly has a very good football brain and works very hard. We should be in for him in the summer!
He would be absolutely mad to come into our dysfunctional comedy show. He is a good player, but he needs a good system. He would fit well with Keita and Fabinho at Liverpool. I could see Spurs going for him too.

Kaglish10

He shouldn't have come off, rather he should have been moved deeper into the midfield, especially after Schone left the pitch.. He's a capable playmaker than Frenkie who is more of a recycler.

No wonder Ten hag often rested Schone for big matches. He's their control but unfortunately, his legs are more or less gone and he can't play a full match. he was also culpable for one of Spurs' goal. Frenkie is no playmaker and Van de Beek should have been moved deep into the midfield. Eriksen took control for Spurs after he was moved into the midfield and Alli became sharper as a result.

Kaglish10

Probably not as talented, but certainly more effective when i've seen him.
He's better than Frenkie. He's a playmaker whereas Frenkie isn't. A shame he has to play in the no 10 to accommodate Frenkie and Schone in the central midfield That he looked good in the no 10 role is a testament to his tenacity because many central midfielders often find it difficult in it. For example, Modric looked terrible as a no 10 for Madrid. Likewise Pirlo for Inter until he left for Milan where he was properly deployed in the central midfield.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Having watched this kid a little more, he looks like a proper, proper, old school, soon to be be top level classic Brit midfielder. OP is right.

Hammondo

Whilst De Jong & De Ligt are no doubt looking like wonderful up and coming players - I feel like Van De Beek has been hiding behind their shadows a bit.

The guy is calm and composed with elements of tenacity mixed with technical ability. Reminds me of almost of the brand of players that crossed between Van der Vaart & Sneidjer of that previous generation.

Anyone impressed by the him?
Not really, pretty average clips.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I could see Pochettino buying him, especially if they sell Eriksen.
Wouldnt be a bad move for both parties, Poch is certainly highly rated by young players. Read an article on De Jong where he was saying he was very tempted to move to Spurs last season citing Pochettino's belief in young players.

And moving to Spurs for game time definitely worked out for ex Ajax player Eriksen. I guess it would only be a good option if Eriksen moved on, that would guarantee a lot more game time.

Bloedrood

I hope he's not another Andy van der Meyde
Why even think that? Andy was a party animal. Guys like that can't survive in modern football.

Donny is a really good and down to earth guy and model professional. Last season was really tough for him because Nouri is a good friend of his. Donny actually still lives at home with his parents. But since he was a teenager he's also been regularly eating and spending the night at the home of Mr Ajax, Sjaak Swart, because it's closer to the club. Swart is also one of his agents, and basically family at this point. De Ligt has a similar thing with Barry Hulshoff, also a former Ajax player. I like that, former players helping and guiding youth players. Important to have the right people advising you.

Last edited:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Thought he had Davy Klassen written all over him initially, but looks to have a fair bit to his game. Do think he needs to be careful about his next move though, needs to go to a club with a set system and philosophy.

Adcuth

I think donny would be a great replacement for Herrera. Should sign him up

edbe

Supports
Ajax
Donny should stay another year at Ajax, he wasn't even a first 11 player for most of the season.

Players are leaving too early.

DRM

Thought he had Davy Klassen written all over him initially, but looks to have a fair bit to his game. Do think he needs to be careful about his next move though, needs to go to a club with a set system and philosophy.
So definitely not man utd then ;)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Initially I liked him, then I wasn't so sure and now I'm back in his bandwagon. I like the potential.

Kaglish10

Donny should stay another year at Ajax, he wasn't even a first 11 player for most of the season.

Players are leaving too early.

He started 26 games this season and 33 last season.

Maybe if the coach wasn't trying to force him into the no 10 role at the beginning when he couldn't cope, he could have played all the matches. His best role still remains the central midfield.

Many central midfielders often find it difficult operating as a no 10, for example, Modric looked terrible in the no 10 role for Madrid under Mourinho before he was eventually moved to the central midfield under Ancelotti. That Van de Beek could adapt to the role after his initial struggle shows his mental strength. If Erik Ten Hag will continue to deploy him as a no 10, it's better he leaves Ajax for his development.

RooneyLegend

Back to this guy again, no thanks. If a team has De Ligt, De Jong and Ziyech and you end up with this guy, you aren't taking yourself seriously.

Kaglish10

Back to this guy again, no thanks. If a team has De Ligt, De Jong and Ziyech and you end up with this guy, you aren't taking yourself seriously.
De Jong isn't better than Van de Beek. Ziyech isn't a central midfielder anyway but a no 10 who loves to force play with his direct passes.

Besides, only de Ligt, Beek and Onana impressed against us in the Europa final match. I don't know why we didn't snap up de Ligt and VDB then.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

He has won every club honour there is to win and holds the record for goals scored from midfield.
This. The guy is ridiculously under-rated. Not as fancy as Totti I guess, despite having 1000x times a career.

Xaviboy

He has great energy and never stops running. Think VDS said sumthing on football focus about him coming from a family that do alot of marathon running, maybe that's where he gets it from. We could do with his energy in midfield. We have been over ran in few games this season. I'd take him but I do think we should go for Thielmans and Doucoure if we do go for energetic midfield.

Fer

De Jong isn't better than Van de Beek. Ziyech isn't a central midfielder anyway but a no 10 who loves to force play with his direct passes.

Besides, only de Ligt, Beek and Onana impressed against us in the Europa final match. I don't know why we didn't snap up de Ligt and VDB then.
I remember that I suggested De Ligt several times. But in that moment, the caf wanted an "experienced CB". That's why players like Alderweireld or Koulibaly were more mentioned in this forum. Also, it was because he was not "Mourinho type of signing".

Now, it seems that Ole would prefer British players. So I guess we are not planning to sell Smalling, Jones,... And we could end up going for Maguire.

RooneyLegend

He's much better than him and will continue to prove it for the rest of their careers. We all know what positions they play and what type of players they are. All a far better players and prospects than De Beek.

edbe

Supports
Ajax

How many times did you actually watch Ajax these past two years?

Kaglish10

He's much better than him and will continue to prove it for the rest of their careers. We all know what positions they play and what type of players they are. All a far better players and prospects than De Beek.
We all saw the better player in the two legs against Spurs. Left for me, I would rather have a player who wasn't fazed despite all of Spurs' shenanigans than Frenkie who went back into his shell and looked clueless throughout the match.

Kaglish10

How many times did you actually watch Ajax these past two years?
Not much but the consensus on Ajax forum was that he was fantastic as a no 6 or 8 until Erik Ten Hag started deploying him as a no 10. Now, majority see him as a no 10, Klassen replacement, but that isn't his role.

RooneyLegend

We all saw the better player in the two legs against Spurs. Left for me, I would rather have a player who wasn't fazed despite all of Spurs' shenanigans than Frenkie who went back into his shell and looked clueless throughout the match.
Don't talk nonsense. The whole Ajax team looked clueless both legs whenever Spurs went the direct route and get on second balls. De Jong was brilliant when the game was played on more technical terms. That first half by him in the second leg was a clinic.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

*held the record for goals scored. Not anymore ;)

Besides that I agree Frank Lampard is a legend and deserved more respect then to be compared to Van de Beek.

Kaglish10

Don't talk nonsense. The whole Ajax team looked clueless both legs whenever Spurs went the direct route and get on second balls. De Jong was brilliant when the game was played on more technical terms. That first half by him in the second leg was a clinic.
He was clueless all through both legs. He couldn't even do his basic job which was to build up the play and mark the runs of Spurs' central support striker (Alli or Moura). I won't even talk about playmaking because I know he was never one in the first place. He's just a recycler like Busquet, Jorginho but nothing else. However, these guys have the common sense to pick up the runs of opposition's central attacker unlike Frenkie.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That's a blast from the past, used to love him as a player at Ajax and Inter
His story is sad but has a happy ending.

Van der Meyde was married, a relationship from which he had two daughters.

In November 2012, following the publication of his biography Geen genade (English: No Mercy), Van der Meyde gave a series of media interviews, including with The Times in England, in which he admitted to a long term series of personal problems: after a difficult first year in Milan he spent a long time on the bench in his second year, and began drinking. Offered the chance to join AS Monaco at the end of the season his wife, who liked to keep animals, rejected the prospect of living in an apartment, so he moved to Everton. Injured upon arriving, he played regularly for a period after regaining fitness, before getting injured against Manchester United in rehabilitation for six months, after his newly born daughter was hospitalised for an equal period, he again turned to alcohol.

In his second year at Everton, Van der Meyde's wife and daughters returned to the Netherlands to enable his youngest child to gain more hospital treatment with family support. He then began an affair, which after denying this for a period to his wife, was discovered after she paid a private detective to follow him; this resultantly lead to his divorce, and also a break-up with his girlfriend.

After having his contract terminated with Everton at the end of the fourth season due to recurring injury, personal problems, and falling out with manager David Moyes, Van der Meyde stayed resident in Liverpool for a year. Moving in with a friend he began a downward spiral of drink, excessive gambling and drug taking, including cocaine.

Realising his now depressive state, Van der Meyde agreed with his agent to return to Amsterdam, who negotiated a training agreement with former club Ajax. This allowed him to turn around his life, and regain contact with his ex-wife and daughters.

On 24 May 2014, Van der Meyde refereed the Lingerie World Cup, which the Netherlands won on home soil

RooneyLegend

He was clueless all through both legs. He couldn't even do his basic job which was to build up the play and mark the runs of Spurs' central support striker (Alli or Moura). I won't even talk about playmaking because I know he was never one in the first place. He's just a recycler like Busquet, Jorginho but nothing else. However, these guys have the common sense to pick up the runs of opposition's central attacker unlike Frenkie.
The fact that you didn't see him build up play is comical. There were to many runners for them. Alli basically played as a second striker(basically standing by the other defender) while the wide men also made inside runs. Losing the first ball all the time in those conditions won't end well, hardly something to blame a holding mid for.