Donny Van De Beek

Kaglish10

Yeah, but everyone that watched Ajax this year (league and Europe) can see that you're just wrong.

Donny is a great player. Not a playmaker. The reason he's so important for this team is because of his play off the ball (and tbh; only when they're playing with a false 9).
Van de Beek is a playmaker if he could be trusted enough to have a team built around him. His game against Standard Liege, like I have shown in the image above shows he is. I have seen him play with my very eyes and his awareness of space, passing range, movement makes him apt as a playmaker.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Because his game is centred around dribbling considering he doesn't have an expansive passing range like Van de Beek.

A central midfielder's game isn't centred around dribbling but his several passing skills (lofted, long, throughballs, crosses etc). I bet this our new generation dribbling eccentric fans would have found Xavi a bore at the time Barca's game wasn't centred around him nor winning because all he did was speak with his passing, not a stupid dribbling. Likewise Pirlo at inter but the fact that he couldn't cope as a no 10, he wasn't deem good until he moved to Milan where he got deployed as a central midfielder while inter kept gnashing their teeth. :lol:

I have seen plenty of Ajax fans screaming over Frenkie's dribbling and I was like, what's happening? Anyway, time will tell. I'm sure if Van de Beek had been allowed to grow as a no 6, Pep would have moved mountain for him but I didn't see him do that for Frenkie. That tells he's not seeing what you're all seeing.
I just can't get my head around the fact that you think Vd Beek's strength is his passing ability. It's simply not true. His positioning and goalscoring ability are what set him apart. He is a good enough functional passer and does well in a quick combination, but that's it. Here you are comparing him to guys like Pirlo and Xavi? It's like you quantum leaped here from an alternate reality with an alternate Donny vd Beek.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Funny enough Van de Beek was deployed as a SS immediately Ajax CL play off started, right before the season started. He wasn't given a chance at all and when the season started, he had one game he played in the central midfield in the 1-1 draw against Heracles and was the second best player (7.28) behind Ziyech among the 6 front players as rated by whoscored.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...etherlands-Eredivisie-2018-2019-Ajax-Heracles

I expect you to turn around to say another thing now that your notion on Van de Beek struggling as a central midfield got found out once again.
I was again at that game and we were terrible!!

This was Frenkie as a defender for Ajax. Notice the comment in the image below.
:lol::lol::houllier: another comment by someone else who didn't watch that game. (which again I was at, and De Jong's dribbles were fantastic. Vd Beek's contribution around PSV's box was also very valuable btw.

He was always fond of dribbling aimlessly to comb forward before making a pass and some occasion,
aimlessly? Did you watch the video i literally just gave you? His dribbling was key, especially in that match, to our dominance on the midfield. he created man-more situations by literally going past 3/4 players on his own time and time again.

he lost the ball which led to the opposition's goals.
has happened a number of times this season from the midfield but funnily enough never happened that I can remember when he was playing centreback.

I know what I'm talking about because I followed Ajax up to see how Van de Beek and de Ligt were developing.
looking at stats for 5 seconds isn't following a team.

Because his game is centred around dribbling considering he doesn't have an expansive passing range like Van de Beek.

A central midfielder's game isn't centred around dribbling but his several passing skills (lofted, long, throughballs, crosses etc). I bet this our new generation dribbling eccentric fans would have found Xavi a bore at the time Barca's game wasn't centred around him nor winning because all he did was speak with his passing, not a stupid dribbling. Likewise Pirlo at inter but the fact that he couldn't cope as a no 10, he wasn't deem good until he moved to Milan where he got deployed as a central midfielder while inter kept gnashing their teeth. :lol:

I have seen plenty of Ajax fans screaming over Frenkie's dribbling and I was like, what's happening? Anyway, time will tell. I'm sure if Van de Beek had been allowed to grow as a no 6, Pep would have moved mountain for him but I didn't see him do that for Frenkie. That tells he's not seeing what you're all seeing.
Vd Beek played as a righthalf(8) his entire youth career, not a 6. So there was never a case of "been allowed to develop" at 6. Also De Jong's passing can be a little undercooked at times but his awareness and distribution is world class. Also the fact that you don't understand the value of a centre mid that can dribble under pressure and create "overtal" situations says enough

Kaglish10

I just can't get my head around the fact that you think Vd Beek's strength is his passing ability. It's simply not true. His positioning and goalscoring ability are what set him apart. He is a good enough functional passer and does well in a quick combination, but that's it. Here you are comparing him to guys like Pirlo and Xavi? It's like you quantum leaped here from an alternate reality with an alternate Donny vd Beek.
Van de Beek's passing strength hasn't been utilised enough, especially under Hen tag. What can he do as a SS with 20 touches per game? What did you expect him to do with that nonsense touches, especially while being deployed as a striker? How did you expect him to dictate the game from the striker role?

However, when he was deployed as a no 6 against Groningen, Standard Liege, and even against us in the Europa match, he showed it many times. In the Groningen game for example, he completed 12 out of 18 long passes, which is Kroos' and Pirlo's esque. Ajax fans even lauded him for that performance and said he's constructively faster than Schone (has got better speed of thought) and can switch play better. Also, against Go ahead eagles while Peter Bosz was the coach. He had plenty of touches and dictated the flow of the match.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...nds-Eredivisie-2016-2017-Ajax-Go-Ahead-Eagles

Like I said earlier, his movement, spatial awareness, speed of thought and passing range makes him apt as a playmaker and I have seen that with my very own eyes.

That was why I wished Bosz had never left. Now, some Ajax fans think he's a no 10 because that was the role he assumed in their best year of winning their double and going as far as the semi final of the CL. It's no wonder they likened him to Klassen. While he has done well in the SS role so far, I feel he's been shackled and hasn't been able to showcase what's he's got because of the stupid SS role he's been deployed.

Member 93275

Guys, you can talk to Donny's mum all you want, but she's not going to budge and write more walls of text about stats when he was 12.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Van de Beek's passing strength hasn't been utilised enough, especially under Hen tag. What can he do as a SS with 20 touches per game? What did you expect him to do with that nonsense touches, especially while being deployed as a striker? How did you expect him to dictate the game from the striker role?

However, when he was deployed as a no 6 against Groningen, Standard Liege, and even against us in the Europa match, he showed it many times. In the Groningen game for example, he completed 12 out of 18 long passes, which is Kroos' and Pirlo's esque. Ajax fans even lauded him for that performance and said he's constructively faster than Schone (has got better speed of thought) and can switch play better. Also, against Go ahead eagles while Peter Bosz was the coach. He had plenty of touches and dictated the flow of the match.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...nds-Eredivisie-2016-2017-Ajax-Go-Ahead-Eagles

Like I said earlier, his movement, spatial awareness, speed of thought and passing range makes him apt as a playmaker and I have seen that with my very own eyes.

That's why I wished Bosz had never left. Now, some Ajax fans think he's a no 10 because that was the role he assumed in their best year of winning their double and going as far as the semi final of the CL and while he has done well in the SS role so far, I feel he's been shackled and hasn't been able to showcase what's he's got because of the stupid SS role he's been deployed.
I'm faster than Schone.

Kaglish10

I'm faster than Schone.
They are not talking about Van de Beek being faster than Schone, eventhough he's actually is but 'constructively faster', which is about his speed of thought and that's one of his best attribute.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
They are not talking about Van de Beek being faster than Schone, eventhough he's actually is but 'constructively faster', which is about his speed of thought and that's one of his best attribute.
Schöne's big weakness outside of his physical speed literally is his speed of handling/thinking. The reason I've wanted him out of the starting xi since 2016 is precisely because he's such a liability when pressed. i actually don't get how it isn't exploited more

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Now, some Ajax fans think he's a no 10 because that was the role he assumed in their best year of winning their double and going as far as the semi final of the CL. It's no wonder they likened him to Klassen. While he has done well in the SS role so far, I feel he's been shackled and hasn't been able to showcase what's he's got because of the stupid SS role he's been deployed.
you do realise that vd beek not being a 10 has literally been one of the most common themes under Ajax supporters this season, right?

Kaglish10

you do realise that vd beek not being a 10 has literally been one of the most common themes under Ajax supporters this season, right?
But yourself and others have likened him to Klassen. I recently went to the forum and all I saw were comments which insinuated that he should continue as a no 10. Something in this form "he's finally replaced Klassen for us and all we need is to find a replacement for Frenkie in the central midfield". "We have finally got a better Klassen in Van de Beek and he needs to stay back so that he can keep developing into the role".

That's why I want him to leave. Most of Ajax fans are already seeing him as a no 10. He doesn't even play like a no 10 but as a SS, which is worse.

Last edited:

Kaglish10

I was again at that game and we were terrible!!

:lol::lol::houllier: another comment by someone else who didn't watch that game. (which again I was at, and De Jong's dribbles were fantastic. Vd Beek's contribution around PSV's box was also very valuable btw.

aimlessly? Did you watch the video i literally just gave you? His dribbling was key, especially in that match, to our dominance on the midfield. he created man-more situations by literally going past 3/4 players on his own time and time again.

has happened a number of times this season from the midfield but funnily enough never happened that I can remember when he was playing centreback.

looking at stats for 5 seconds isn't following a team.

Vd Beek played as a righthalf(8) his entire youth career, not a 6. So there was never a case of "been allowed to develop" at 6. Also De Jong's passing can be a little undercooked at times but his awareness and distribution is world class. Also the fact that you don't understand the value of a centre mid that can dribble under pressure and create "overtal" situations says enough
Common, you don't need to make a lot of dribbles in defence and central midfield. You use your passing skills to dictate the flow, not your dribble. It doesn't mean you can't evade pressure with a tactical dribble but that doesn't mean you should go on mazy dribbles everytime as a central midfielder or defender. If it were attackers or fullbacks that did that, it would be understandable but not a midfielder or a defender.

Van De Beek switched between no 8 and no 6 for Jong Ajax before he moved to the first team. It's not a must for him to be deployed as a no 6 but it would be good if a team gets built around him either as a 8 or 6. As a no 6 for Ajax, he was able to get on the ball a lot hence dictated from there but as a no 8, he may not likely see the ball like he does at 6 except if the team is built around him.

Whichever, Hen Tag should stop deploying him as a SS.

Bwuk

Makes brilliant runs. He’d be an excellent signing for us.

Massive fan of him.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Looks the real deal to me this lad.
Technically superb and always seems to make the right decisions.

Kaglish10

@Kaglish10

What you think of him today mate?
To be honest, I'm always annoyed whenever I see him gets deployed as a no 10. I really want to know how much his game has improved as a central midfielder but you could only see glimpses because he hardly gets played as one.

That being said, the no 10 role has actually made him to improve his strength on the ball as a holdup support striker. He's got this kind of long gangly legs to accompany his frame hence tends to look akward but recently, he's built more strength on his legs and looks quite hard to knock off unlike before. This hasn't stopped his agility/quick turns too. He actually said he trained hard to improve himself as a no 10.

The central midfield role is still his best.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How was the lad yesterday?
Should have started imo

Would certainly be a good upgrade on Mata but like Fernandes positionally I'm not sure where he would play for us. I really like him as a player though and wouldn't be against this one

Aloysius's Back 3

Should have started imo

Would certainly be a good upgrade on Mata but like Fernandes positionally I'm not sure where he would play for us. I really like him as a player though and wouldn't be against this one
Im like you & I don't want a CAM roaming around. I don't think that's what we need. However Van der Beek to me is a clear midfielder with a playmaking ability playing further forward.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He could definitely play the Herrera role and if we needed a more attacking formation could be moved to the 10 position behind two strikers.

Based Adnan

He is great, can do everything in midfield. Would love for us to sign him but we haven't even been linked to him as far as I know.

Aloysius's Back 3

He could definitely play the Herrera role and if we needed a more attacking formation could be moved to the 10 position behind two strikers.
To me he plays in a way that suits Pogba. Whenever I watched Herrera play it felt like Pogba was attacking himself.

Van de beek looks like a guy who has an attacking ability, an ability to score goals and make some passes whilst also having the tenacity and hard working aspect that a midfielder should have.

arnie_ni

He have slotted in well beside ander and paul. Ander in the deeper roll

Fosu-Mens

Van de beek looks like a guy who has an attacking ability, an ability to score goals and make some passes whilst also having the tenacity and hard working aspect that a midfielder should have.
Can play multiple roles, and work well as a CDM, CM and CAM. If this is true, and he really wants to come,then we should ditch B. Fernandes and sign V. Beek.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We won’t be in for him we are giving a new £130,000 a week contract to our very own Lingaard.
Brilliant, can’t wait for next season:confused:
I can see how you've linked the 2 together. Yup, definitely.

Matt007a

From what I've seen of him, he is the player Lingard thinks he is. He has many of the same qualities, except he's much better at all of them. Gets himself into clever areas and good pockets of space and is very good at linking up play. He also offers more defensively than Lingard although maybe not as much as Herrera did.

pascell

Would be a great addition in the midfield, probably the player Herrera should've been. Would've like Barella as well but looks like hes off to Inter.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This lad would be great, didn’t even think he’d be interested in us and would have plenty of suitors. Perfect Herrera replacement as many have said.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm sure I saw someone previously say on here that Ajax fans thought he was only about as good as Klassen prior to the season just gone. Granted he's young, but is there any chance he just rode the wave of playing in a young, talented team playing a great system that suited everyone?

manuchamp88

Can play multiple roles, and work well as a CDM, CM and CAM. If this is true, and he really wants to come,then we should ditch B. Fernandes and sign V. Beek.
Don't agree with that at all. Fernandes is a classy player and if it were a choice between the two, Fernandes has the little bit extra that sets him apart. However, if Van de Beek can play CDM then there's no need to choose - get both! V.D.Beek - Fernandes - Pogba. Sorted.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm sure I saw someone previously say on here that Ajax fans thought he was only about as good as Klassen prior to the season just gone. Granted he's young, but is there any chance he just rode the wave of playing in a young, talented team playing a great system that suited everyone?
Perhaps. It’s just as likely he evolved as a player, though.

In some of the CL games this season he outperformed the likes of Frenkie and Ziyech.