Donny Van De Beek

Xaviboy

If we get him and Fernandes our midfield options would have alot of energy and can be mobile. VDB, Fernandes, McTominey,Fred and Pogba if he stays and you could put Perrira and Garner as options. Ship out Matic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think it's either Beek or Bruno and it seems we've opted for the later.

sherrinford

If we get him and Fernandes our midfield options would have alot of energy and can be mobile. VDB, Fernandes, McTominey,Fred and Pogba if he stays and you could put Perrira and Garner as options. Ship out Matic.
Why would you look to retain Pereira and lose Matic with that set of options?

Champagne Football

VDB will not be sold till the summer. I think it was The Times who said it yesterday.
Bruno is obviously far more creative, but we don't know yet if he'll be too lightweight for the PL like Nani was. But hopefully not

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
VDB will not be sold till the summer. I think it was The Times who said it yesterday.
Bruno is obviously far more creative, but we don't know yet if he'll be too lightweight for the PL like Nani was. But hopefully not
Nani wasn’t too lightweight for the Premier League. He ended his time here with multiple titles and 25 goals and 56 assists in 147 league matches.

We’d kill for a player of Nani’s quality today.

Champagne Football

Nani was much better than Mhiki
He was half decent but he wasn't Utd level. If Fergie was manager when Mkhitaryan was here, then he'd have played as much as Nani.
I absolutely do not believe Nani is superior to Mkhitaryan but that's just my humble opinion.
They both fit into that group - Schneiderlin, Mata, Rojo etc - very good players but slightly below what is required at Man Utd.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was half decent but he wasn't Utd level. If Fergie was manager when Mkhitaryan was here, then he'd have played as much as Nani.
I absolutely do not believe Nani is superior to Mkhitaryan but that's just my humble opinion.
They both fit into that group - Schneiderlin, Mata, Rojo etc - very good players but slightly below what is required at Man Utd.
The same Nani who won players POTY and was probably the best player in the league 10/11

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Nani was much better than Mhiki
Probably the wrong place for this, but I think Mkhi gets far too hard a time on here than he deserves.

Was he great? No, but he filled a role that no one else in the squad could play and our massive dip in form under Jose coincided with him leaving.

There were other reasons for this - Alexis was dogshite, and Ibra going almost certainly left a personality hole in the team even if he wasn't playing.

But for all his faults, we always looked more balanced with Mkhi playing, and Valencia was genuinely effective with him in the side too.

Re VDB - I'm a little more hesitant over him than Bruno. I think, as has been mentioned, he's a real system player, and it's not a system we really buy into. I'd much rather see us try hard for Grealish and/or Maddison in the summer than put too much time and expenses into VDB.

Cassidy

If we get Bruno then Id rather we get a DM and wait for Maddison/Grealish in the summer

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If we get Bruno then Id rather we get a DM and wait for Maddison/Grealish in the summer
I think Ole will give TFM a shot at the DM position soon, he played in midfield last night. Whether he will be a success or not is debatable, but I think he will get a few opportunities. Nothing wrong with his tackling, and commitment, but I would like to see how his passing and general awareness is. Van De Beek looks a very good player to me, and if TFM (or a very good DM) performs well if gives these more attacking guys an opportunity to get forward without having to worry too much about their defensive duties.

Cassidy

I think Ole will give TFM a shot at the DM position soon, he played in midfield last night. Whether he will be a success or not is debatable, but I think he will get a few opportunities. Nothing wrong with his tackling, and commitment, but I would like to see how his passing and general awareness is. Van De Beek looks a very good player to me, and if TFM (or a very good DM) performs well if gives these more attacking guys an opportunity to get forward without having to worry too much about their defensive duties.
We should sign someone. We dont need a project we need good quality now

Champagne Football

Crikey...
You're probably too young to remember, but there was absolute outrage on this forum wgem Moyes extended Nani's contract. The feeling was that he had been a passenger for years at Utd, and should have been gone years before.

He scored a good few worldie's over the many years he was here, but Mkhitaryan got a worldie or two here in the 10 minutes of game time Jose gave him. Like Fred and many others, Mkhitaryan never got a proper chance under Jose and he was never the same player after. His stats for Dortmund were the best in Europe. But the PL was too physical for him, as it was for Nani also.

Raven

You're probably too young to remember, but there was absolute outrage on this forum wgem Moyes extended Nani's contract. The feeling was that he had been a passenger for years at Utd, and should have been gone years before.

He scored a good few worldie's over the many years he was here, but Mkhitaryan got a worldie or two here in the 10 minutes of game time Jose gave him. Like Fred and many others, Mkhitaryan never got a proper chance under Jose and he was never the same player after. His stats for Dortmund were the best in Europe. But the PL was too physical for him, as it was for Nani also.
Probably too young to remember? Alright grandad, no need to be so patronising, especially when you're completely wrong, of course I'm old enough to remember 6 years ago.

The PL was too physical for Mkhi, it was not too physical for Nani, that's total shite.

Chairman Steve

Him and Bruno would be great on paper... I just hope when if it came to playing for us, that Donny wasn’t out of his element... :o

Champagne Football

Probably too young to remember? Alright grandad, no need to be so patronising, especially when you're completely wrong, of course I'm old enough to remember 6 years ago.

The PL was too physical for Mkhi, it was not too physical for Nani, that's total shite.
Haha sorry about that comment. Spur of the moment. And yes Nani is better than Mkhitaryan, but I still feel Nani was a squad player mostly, and never good enough for the first XI. He was like Herrera, MOTM one week and invisible for the next 5 games. And my original point was that if we sign Bruno, Hopefully he will be a monster and not just a really really gifted squad player like Nani, who we will only use when others are injured or need a rest.

Nick7

Has anything been said since the first round of rumours? Wonder if he was first choice and we got bad news before attempting Bruno. Can’t see us signing both.

LDUred

Just stop it now, because you are embarrassing yourself.

Nani had a couple of seasons for United where he was playing at a very high level consistently (2010-12). That includes dominating, assisting, and scoring in games against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City.

I know referencing the Community Shield may be contentious for some, but there was a lot riding on that game in terms of bragging rights, and it developed into a genuine contest between two sides desperate to put down a marker for the new season. Nani was absolutely outstanding in that game and arguably the standout player on both sides. That game always sticks out for me, even though it was 'just' the Community Shield.

My problem with Nani is that he just didn't cement his reputation. He dropped away and never quite fulfilled his potential. However, classing him alongside the likes of Schneiderlin, Mata, and Rojo is insulting to a player who won stuff and who was a good, sometimes outstanding, player for us.

Reactions: harms

ovoxo

Isn't Bruno more a 10 than an 8? I think Bruno and Grealish could possibly be overkill? Or are you suggesting we get a true holding player to allow them both to play?

I feel it’ll be a case of Bruno for 10, Fred/McTominay for one of the two deeper roles and the other could be Pogba. If Pogba leaves, possibly we revisit Van De Beek. As he’s much more likelier than someone like Saúl.

Last edited:

Raven

Nani had a couple of seasons for United where he was playing at a very high level consistently (2010-12). That includes dominating, assisting, and scoring in games against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City.

I know referencing the Community Shield may be contentious for some, but there was a lot riding on that game in terms of bragging rights, and it developed into a genuine contest between two sides desperate to put down a marker for the new season. Nani was absolutely outstanding in that game and arguably the standout player on both sides. That game always sticks out for me, even though it was 'just' the Community Shield.

My problem with Nani is that he just didn't cement his reputation. He dropped away and never quite fulfilled his potential. However, classing him alongside the likes of Schneiderlin, Mata, and Rojo is insulting to a player who won stuff and who was a good, sometimes outstanding, player for us.
Well said. Imagine calling a key member of title winning sides the same level as Rojo. :houllier:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

This!

Cassidy

Isn't Bruno more a 10 than an 8? I think Bruno and Grealish could possibly be overkill? Or are you suggesting we get a true holding player to allow them both to play?

I feel it’ll be a case of Bruno for 10, Fred/McTominay for one of the two deeper roles and the other could be Pogba. If Pogba leaves, possibly we revisit Van De Beek. As he’s much more likelier than someone like Saúl.
Yes a true holding player to allow them to play. We need bags of creativity and also Bruno works very hard so I don’t think it would be an issue for him to play as an attacking 8

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I like this player. Why does it have to either him or Bruno? We could use both players.

Raven

This conversation ended hours ago. The original point I was trying to make is that if we sign Bruno, hopefully he becomes a nailed on first teamer and not a squad player like Nani mostly was..... Then all hell broke loose
If we get Bruno and he's as good as Nani was for us in his prime, we'll have a phenomenal player. I'm not sure why you picked out Nani to be perfectly honest, there were far worse squad player to compare him to.

Champagne Football

If we get Bruno and he's as good as Nani was for us in his prime, we'll have a phenomenal player. I'm not sure why you picked out Nani to be perfectly honest, there were far worse squad player to compare him to.
Because he is also Portuguese, came here with a massive reputation but never fulfilled his potential, (despite a few world class performances here and there) which is sad considering how much talent he had.

Raven

Because he is also Portuguese, came here with a massive reputation but never fulfilled his potential, (despite a few world class performances here and there) which is sad considering how much talent he had.
I think you would have been better of comparing him to Anderson, far closer to the sentiment you were trying to convey.