Donny Van de Beek

Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

As usual Inter wants him on loan for free or a swap deal with Eriksen

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You only need to look at Fred to understand how silly this thread is.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Too good a player to not work his way into our team eventually

TheReligion

Abusive
You only need to look at Fred to understand how silly this thread is.
Why on earth would United consider him leaving or would the player want to move on.

I quite often read the Caf and think WTF but this obsession about vDB is baffling.

slored1

Hilarious. Will never happen, and there's no reason to do this now.

fezzerUTD

His agent is shopping him around so rumours like this will happen.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Forgetting how realistic this transfer is, it's hilarious Inter seem to have a raging one for every single one of our players that's out of favour, even if Donny is actually good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He isn’t really. He’s a good player, no more. A very elite team could easily do better than him.

dal

Hes too good, that seems a massive exaggeration. He’s never been a too good player, seems mid table premier league to me which isn’t an insult by any means.

CallyRed

As much as this is nonsense, Inter Milan are like that little brother who are always after hand me downs

As usual Inter wants him on loan for free or a swap deal with Eriksen

i wouldn’t swap Eriksen for a bag of crisps.

good luck to inter in trying to offload him to anyone - I think they are stuck with him.

zero chance of DVDB going out on loan.

inter can have Rojo if they want another PL reject.

davidmichael

VDB is half a season in to a new club and new country so is very much still in the settling in period with us and as for a swap deal for Eriksen I’d not even consider swapping Eriksen for Jones as it’d be another pointless signing on big wages shoehorned in just for the sake of it and I don’t think Ole would even consider it, it’ll be VDB’s agent throwing stories out there to put pressure on us to play him.

RashyForPM

Getting Eriksen in to replace VdB of all people would be the epitome of stupidity.

flappyjay

He is going to be very useful in the 2bd half of the season. Especially when the Europa restarts

dal

If he stays, I do feel Ole will improve him.

He needs to get a lot stronger, so physique is the first thing and mentality is the second.

red4ever 79

Needs to leave for the sake of his career. Cant even get on when we are 6-2 up in the Europa. I feel there is a good player in there, who needs to play a run of games to get an understanding of his team mates and positioning on the pitch. Unfortunately he is not going to get that at Utd.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It wouldn't surprise me if we get someone like Rice and DVB plays with him in a midfield 2 next season, with Pogba continuing to play on the left. If Cavani does sign a new contract, I don't think we'll get an attacker. It'll probably be a CB and Rice as our major signings.

In which case it makes more sense to play DVB in the midfield 2 as irrespective of popular opinion, I don't think Pogba can excel in a midfield 2 even if partnered with a proper DM. His game is just more suited to playing further forward.

Polar

Is it a fair chance to develop DVB into a more defensive role than the AM position - to be a competitor or an rotating option for McFred?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sometimes takes a season to adapt, he's got quality, just needs to be more adventurous. He makes good runs forward, but his passing isn't progressive enough.

Tarrou

It wouldn't surprise me if we get someone like Rice and DVB plays with him in a midfield 2 next season, with Pogba continuing to play on the left. If Cavani does sign a new contract, I don't think we'll get an attacker. It'll probably be a CB and Rice as our major signings.

In which case it makes more sense to play DVB in the midfield 2 as irrespective of popular opinion, I don't think Pogba can excel in a midfield 2 even if partnered with a proper DM. His game is just more suited to playing further forward.
it wouldn't surprise you if he goes from hardly getting a look-in to starting CM over McT and Fred who play every week?

I'd be amazed frankly

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
His best position is where Bruno plays so he’s not going to feature much.

CM10

I think he deserves another season to adapt. It's been a difficult first season for van de Beek because he doesn't really match how we play stylistically and hasn't had many opportunities in the team.

If he has another poor season next year by all means get rid but it seems silly to do so at this point. We'd still make a loss and you can count on one hand the number of times he's played 90 minutes for us. Next season might be better for him once he's had a pre-season and a proper period of integration under his belt.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
If he stays, I do feel Ole will improve him.

He needs to get a lot stronger, so physique is the first thing and mentality is the second.
hmm unfortunately I don't see how a player of his build could get more mascular, surely he's got to hit the gym and build some more power but his physique has pretty limited potential. He should develop his defensive game the same way Ander Herrera developed his when he came to us, both players are pretty weak but Ander was excellent at ball anticipation and because of that he could win a lot of crucial tackles and interceptions. VDB is intelligent one about his movement so I think he can learn that, otherwise he's too basic to start in any of the attacking positions.

And agreed with mentality.

davidmichael

I just don’t see DVB as a 10, I think he’d be far better as a deep lying playmaker alongside someone more defence minded in a two man midfield.

I’ve made no secret of the fact I’d love to sign Declan Rice as I think he’d be the perfect pure out and out defensive midfield to simply shield the defence and allow Pogba to go further forward without worry to support Fernandes and the front three but I think Rice would also be perfect alongside DVB too.

Also think against lower teams or cup games McTominay and DVB in a double pivot could work but I just don’t think DVB is ever going to be a 10 and whenever he’s played there he looks lost to the point he gets bypassed or overlooked for a pass from team mates.

Crashoutcassius

why do you guys care more about dvdbs career than your own club? like, we need him for depth? why are people getting emotional here saying he has to leave... the best thing for the club is that we have depth. if bruno gets a big injury he probably gets 45 starts and we need him to perform well, not like he has been performing so far. needs to get his head right and perform when he gets his chance... this is a big club, we dont sign young guys and guarantee them starts regardless of performance. this thread gets wierder as the years goes on

Thepinhead

People write him off after a season with barely any playing time. Fred didn't play much his first couple of seasons either. I'm sure, if he really wants it, that he will a big role for us in the future. There is a really good player in him. Don't know if it will be as an 8 or a false nine or something. He would probably need a role similar to pogba where he is free to roam and go forward playing 1-2 passes with the attack

King7Eric

it wouldn't surprise you if he goes from hardly getting a look-in to starting CM over McT and Fred who play every week?

I'd be amazed frankly
He hardly plays because there's no position in the team for him. McFred play well together but neither does great as a DM. Pogba's best performances for us have come in a midfield 3 or on the left lately. So if we do get a DM, I think Donny could get a look in.

Fred and Lindelof hardly played in their 1st season but seem to feature a fair bit now, don't they? So why can't Donny do the same?

Tarrou

He hardly plays because there's no position in the team for him. McFred play well together but neither does great as a DM. Pogba's best performances for us have come in a midfield 3 or on the left lately. So if we do get a DM, I think Donny could get a look in.

Fred and Lindelof hardly played in their 1st season but seem to feature a fair bit now, don't they? So why can't Donny do the same?
he could but it seems unlikely

Ole just hasn't trusted him much at all

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
why do you guys care more about dvdbs career than your own club? like, we need him for depth? why are people getting emotional here saying he has to leave... the best thing for the club is that we have depth. if bruno gets a big injury he probably gets 45 starts and we need him to perform well, not like he has been performing so far. needs to get his head right and perform when he gets his chance... this is a big club, we dont sign young guys and guarantee them starts regardless of performance. this thread gets wierder as the years goes on
Some people didn't want him in the first place, so would rather be proved "right" that he leaves, rather than support him and keep some depth for the squad.

Apparently city are allowed to have a world class bench and have players like Bernardo Silva on the bench most the year, but we can't have DVB

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
No its not, he never played there for Ajax, he played slightly further forward in a midfield 3. He is not a no10 and I have no idea why we are using him there.
He did play as the most forward midfielder in Ajax. Behind him Schone and De Jong. He is a player who needs to get in the box. Can’t play anywhere else for a club of the level of United.

Dve

he could but it seems unlikely

Ole just hasn't trusted him much at all
I think one of the problems has been lack of preseason and the chance to practise different formations as an alternative to 4-2-3-1. Early in the season we tried the diamond in a couple of games, but without much success, and since then Ole has kept the formation the players are most familiar with. Let´s see next season if there will be more alternations in how Ole set up the team, and then perhaps he´ll also find a way to use Donny.

lex talionis

Donny is most effective in the final third as a chance creator and scorer. If Ole has no use for him there’s no point in having a player of Donny’s quality rot on the bench.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Straight swap with Nicolo Barella. If not then Inter can feck off.

Holters

I think one of the problems has been lack of preseason and the chance to practise different formations as an alternative to 4-2-3-1. Early in the season we tried the diamond in a couple of games, but without much success, and since then Ole has kept the formation the players are most familiar with. Let´s see next season if there will be more alternations in how Ole set up the team, and then perhaps he´ll also find a way to use Donny.
? We are probably the PL club that has played the most different formations this year. It is clear as day that our playstyle has developed from counter attacking (where we adapt our setup to counter other teams style and strength, e.g. by changing the formation) to a more possession based (where we try to apply our style on other teams) style. During this journey Ole has implemented his preferred formation. 4-2-3-1 has always been Ole's preferred formation - even though he is a pragmatic manager that can utilise other formations as well.

Donny's problem is that he is a number 8 in Ajax's 4-3-3 system, where the number 8 moves into the number 10 when attacking, i.e. the same space Bruno occupies. In United's 4-2-3-1 he doesn't press as well as Bruno does when he plays as number 10. And there is no indication that his playstyle is suited for the pivot either. Basically I'm unsure if his skillset matches Premier League at all - and in particular United's playstyle.

If he was good enough and suited our playstyle, he would be playing. Donny is borderline becoming a meme at this stage the way some supporters are hyping him up as he is the second coming to Zidane. He isn't a spectacular player, he is a system player, and the system he is used to playing isn't similar to United's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.