Donny Van De Beek / LOAN to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Don't blame him. Bound to break eventually. Looking at those 2 shitebags who can hardly control or pass the ball play in midfield every week while you're sat on the bench watching Pereira, Lingard, Martial, Dalot, Bailly and James disappoint every game they played and still get more chances than you.

It can be a lack of ability. He's got quality on the ball and has shown in the CL that he can play against the biggest teams. I also don't believe he's not doing it in training. How can you watch the tripe that the midfield serves up at times and still not try and work him into the team? Ole for whatever reason just doesn't want to give him a go. But he will go with 5 at the back and 2 in front to cover for the shocking form of his captain. It's double standards.

I think at this stage, Ole is just being stubborn and trying to use him to prove a point.

bdspeedy

He’s been terrible and invisible in most of his games here it’s completely understandable why he doesn’t get games.

I would give him a run of games in the 6-8 position as he could be decent there but we don’t have the luxury right now to play him there and if he is sulking then he can leave because he’s doesn’t really have the right to play, he’s been shite.
What a load of horse shit. He's barely played but was fantastic in one or two games where he played more than 5 minutes. Whether or not you think the kid deserves a chance, Fred and Scott have been absolute garbage for most of the season so far but still play far more often than not. Ole's man crush on Scotty is so obvious, I'm worried that HR will get involved. I'd be delighted if Fred, Scott and DVB succeed here but I have ZERO confidence that our current coaches have enough experience or have good enough judgement to make wise decisions when it comes to team selection or player positioning.

choccy77

VDB when he has played has been worse than Fred at giving the ball away.

Ole never signed him and it was obviously a panic buy to replace Pogba who suddenly didn't leave last year and United still expecting Pogba to go, held off selling VDB and next year they will have neither Pogba or VDB.

Total farce of a club

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What a load of horse shit. He's barely played but was fantastic in one or two games where he played more than 5 minutes. Whether or not you think the kid deserves a chance, Fred and Scott have been absolute garbage for most of the season so far but still play far more often than not. Ole's man crush on Scotty is so obvious, I'm worried that HR will get involved. I'd be delighted if Fred, Scott and DVB succeed here but I have ZERO confidence that our current coaches have enough experience or have good enough judgement to make wise decisions when it comes to team selection or player positioning.
He's never been 'fantastic'. His two best matches have been his most recent match against West Ham's B team in the cup, and Wolves at the end of last season when neither team had anything to play for. In both matches he's been fairly good but hardly anything special.

I do agree that with how things have gone he should have played more this season. He showed enough in that West Ham match to deserve chances ahead of Fred and McTominay who have both been struggling.

iKnowNothing

Ole never signed him and it was obviously a panic buy to replace Pogba who suddenly didn't leave last year and United still expecting Pogba to go, held off selling VDB and next year they will have neither Pogba or VDB.
Sounds like Rooney and Kagawa that year.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Sep 2020:

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed he's been keeping an eye on new signing Donny van de Beek since 2015 after a memorable Europa League clash.

Solskjaer was in charge of Norwegian club Molde at the time when his side took on Eredivisie giants Ajax, who boasted a young Van de Beek in midfield.

Just a month after making his senior debut, the Dutchman headed home his first career goal as he opened the scoring against Molde in a fiery group clash that ended 1-1.

While Van de Beek was just a teenager at the time and still looking to secure regular first-team football, Solskjaer noted that his newest signing at Old Trafford left quite an impression.

"The first goal he scored was against me and my Molde team in the Europa League in 2015 - we drew 1-1 at the Amsterdam Arena and he scored a fantastic header," Solskjaer told BBC's the Football Daily podcast.

"He actually headbutted my centre-back at the time as well, so he was brave! I've liked his infectious attitude. I've spoken to Edwin van der Sar, other players that know him, you just use the people you know and trust to scout that character.

"When someone scores against you, you'll always remember it...I just remember a cross and he beats my centre-back and it loops over our keeper in the beginning of the game."

Though the Red Devils continue to pursue a deal for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, Solskjaer believes their acquisition of Van de Beek will be key as he brings a new edge to their midfield.

"When we signed Bruno [Fernandes] we knew we needed that kind of player, now we've signed Donny and he's a type of player I felt we needed in the squad. He's the type of person that will fit the culture, fit the team and improve us next season and for years to come," Solskjaer said.

"He's a versatile player, a very intelligent player, he's got loads of energy, enthusiasm, developing all the time. He scores goals and we need to add those from midfield. We need goals throughout the squad because we didn't score enough [last season] to be challenging at the top.

"He can see space and arrive at the right time, the timing of his movements is fantastic."

What the hell happened?

Himannv

Sep 2020:

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed he's been keeping an eye on new signing Donny van de Beek since 2015 after a memorable Europa League clash.

Solskjaer was in charge of Norwegian club Molde at the time when his side took on Eredivisie giants Ajax, who boasted a young Van de Beek in midfield.

Just a month after making his senior debut, the Dutchman headed home his first career goal as he opened the scoring against Molde in a fiery group clash that ended 1-1.

While Van de Beek was just a teenager at the time and still looking to secure regular first-team football, Solskjaer noted that his newest signing at Old Trafford left quite an impression.

"The first goal he scored was against me and my Molde team in the Europa League in 2015 - we drew 1-1 at the Amsterdam Arena and he scored a fantastic header," Solskjaer told BBC's the Football Daily podcast.

"He actually headbutted my centre-back at the time as well, so he was brave! I've liked his infectious attitude. I've spoken to Edwin van der Sar, other players that know him, you just use the people you know and trust to scout that character.

"When someone scores against you, you'll always remember it...I just remember a cross and he beats my centre-back and it loops over our keeper in the beginning of the game."

Though the Red Devils continue to pursue a deal for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, Solskjaer believes their acquisition of Van de Beek will be key as he brings a new edge to their midfield.

"When we signed Bruno [Fernandes] we knew we needed that kind of player, now we've signed Donny and he's a type of player I felt we needed in the squad. He's the type of person that will fit the culture, fit the team and improve us next season and for years to come," Solskjaer said.

"He's a versatile player, a very intelligent player, he's got loads of energy, enthusiasm, developing all the time. He scores goals and we need to add those from midfield. We need goals throughout the squad because we didn't score enough [last season] to be challenging at the top.

"He can see space and arrive at the right time, the timing of his movements is fantastic."

What the hell happened?
It's incredible when you read that and see what's happened to him since.

I think the problem is tactical balance in a sense that Ole doesn't see him as a viable option in CM. Probably he sees him as someone playing closer to the box - in the exact position that Bruno usually plays. Starting Lingard ahead of him is just crazy though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sep 2020:

What the hell happened?
Ole likes to serve his revenge cold on the bench

Ralph1386

Sep 2020:

What the hell happened?
Wait, I thought he wasn’t Ole’s signing :lol:

Water Melon

Sep 2020:

What the hell happened?
Wasted money and time, an unhappy player who is supposed to play in midfield, the area that needs the most upgrade after manager's position.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It has to be something like Ole wanted to switch to 4-3-3 and play VDB with a holding mid and Bruno (With VDB being the #8) but we never signed the #6 so Ole went back to 4-2-3-1 and I think his position in that formation is Fernandes, even with the 3-4-1-2 we used the other day, I only truly see him as the 1 behind the 2 as he is quite attacking orientated.

I'm sure against some smaller teams he should have been given the chance to play the midfield 2. We know he trains well as Ole constantly says "Everyone trained well", I don't think there's an attitude problem as again Ole has admitted players want to play and keep trying, so either Ole is really refusing to use him in a "You didn't get me the #6 we spoke about so you've wasted a £40m asset" but that doesn't seem like Ole, I think he just really isn't trusted to play the 2 in midfield and Bruno is rarely rested and Lingard has been in good form as that similar mould player.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Don't blame him. Bound to break eventually. Looking at those 2 shitebags who can hardly control or pass the ball play in midfield every week while you're sat on the bench watching Pereira, Lingard, Martial, Dalot, Bailly and James disappoint every game they played and still get more chances than you.

It can be a lack of ability. He's got quality on the ball and has shown in the CL that he can play against the biggest teams. I also don't believe he's not doing it in training. How can you watch the tripe that the midfield serves up at times and still not try and work him into the team? Ole for whatever reason just doesn't want to give him a go. But he will go with 5 at the back and 2 in front to cover for the shocking form of his captain. It's double standards.

I think at this stage, Ole is just being stubborn and trying to use him to prove a point.
Exactly this! Look at his comments from the presser:

"We don't have time for anybody to sulk, if you're not in the starting XI, you are there to support your team-mates"

OleBoiii

There is absolutely no evidence of him being a very good player and none of us knows what's going on behind the scenes or on the training ground. Being a good player in the Dutch league is no guarantee of being a good player in the PL.

RUCK4444

Do people realise Ole is literally clinging onto his job by the skin of his teeth. Put your hate aside and put yourself in his position, why the holy feck would you gamble on DVB turning up in the next game.

He's been nothing but pure average and negative in his passing, he's brought nothing, zero. The guy has to get through this CL group and pick up 3 points in every single game, why risk an average performer when your jobs on the line.

If I'm in Ole's position the only time DVB is getting minutes is if we are 3 goals up in a game. We have a world cup winner struggling to get into our midfield at the minute, never mind Donny.

The constant desperation for posters to see him get minutes is a properly strange thing. Its like being desperate to see Telles on the pitch (as a random example), why is it a primary concern ffs.

Craig Ward

Do people realise Ole is literally clinging onto his job by the skin of his teeth. Put your hate aside and put yourself in his position, why the holy feck would you gamble on DVB turning up in the next game.

He's been nothing but pure average and negative in his passing, he's brought nothing, zero. The guy has to get through this CL group and pick up 3 points in every single game, why risk an average performer when your jobs on the line.

If I'm in Ole's position the only time DVB is getting minutes is if we are 3 goals up in a game. We have a world cup winner struggling to get into our midfield at the minute, never mind Donny.

The constant desperation for posters to see him get minutes is a properly strange thing. Its like being desperate to see Telles on the pitch (as a random example), why is it a primary concern ffs.
Really strange viewpoint to have this.

Ole is still searching to find the correct combination in midfield, as you said currently pogba cant get a look in.

Why would you gamble on Donny you ask? Because Matic cant run, Pogba can't defend, McTominey hides from the ball and Fred runs around like a loon with no purpose.

Ole has tried every combination of two - all have flaws. Why wouldnt you try another option?

I'm baffled by Donny's omission. He's technically better than Fred and McTominey. He could work well in a 2 with either - fact is we wont know until he's tried.

He could be the answer, it might not work. But if we dont try it whats the fecking point of signing him? To see Matic and Lingard get on the pitch before him is infuriating.

I love how Donny is being made out to be some scapegoat when he cant get more than the odd minute. It's like if he doesnt score 5 goals in his 7 minute cameo's our fans are "he's rubbish anyway". Quite happy to watch Pogba lose the ball a million times or Lingard cock up like always.

We cannot be happy with McTominey in midfield - it's mental. He's such a poor player

Smores

There is absolutely no evidence of him being a very good player and none of us knows what's going on behind the scenes or on the training ground. Being a good player in the Dutch league is no guarantee of being a good player in the PL.
Take your negativity back to the general and leave Donny alone.

There's plenty of evidence never mind "absolutely no evidence", that's why he was nominated for the Ballon d'or for his champions league performances.

OleBoiii

There's plenty of evidence never mind "absolutely no evidence"
He's had one good CL. Unless he was bordering to world class in all of the toughest games, then I don't think it proves a whole lot.

The whiners would have a point if Donny had played a full season in the PL(let's say more than 1500 minutes) and generally performed well in that time. At least we'd have a clear and recent frame of reference. Doing well in the CL 2 years ago as a part of a collective(it's not like he alone carried the team) underdog story is not really a solid case.

If he was even half as good as the Caf suggests then of course Ole would play him more.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He's had one good CL. Unless he was bordering to world class in all of the toughest games, then I don't think it proves a whole lot.

The whiners would have a point if Donny had played a full season in the PL(let's say more than 1500 minutes) and generally performed well in that time. At least we'd have a clear and recent frame of reference. Doing well in the CL 2 years ago as a part of a collective(it's not like he alone carried the team) underdog story is not really a solid case.

If he was even half as good as the Caf suggests then of course Ole would play him more.
Well, he comes very highly praised by people more qualified than us lot, and I don't think there's many saying he's a god, it's more curiosity as to his lack of use.

Regardless of what the issue is, there is one considering the money spent, the lack of games, and the refusal to let him go last summer.

The idea that he's just too poor a player is at odds with one or two bits of that story.

Oranges038

There's no way you can actually judge him at Utd based on the opportunities that have been afforded to him, he could very well be another Veron or Forlan. Unless he's actually given a proper run of games we will never know.

Now that Ole is clinging to his job, he is not giving him a chance, I get that, he doesn't want to put DVB in there when he's hanging on by a thread. He never did before so why start now.

He is going to trust the guys who have brought him to the brink to save his ass.

OleBoiii

@moses

I agree that there is a lot of strangeness surrounding Donny. He was very expensive considering his CV and if he really wanted to leave this summer, then it's strange that he wasn't allowed to leave. Unless the club genuinely thought that Pogba was leaving, in which case it makes more sense.

I think Donny is suffering for three reasons:

1. Our poor start to the CL forced our hand a bit. We have to field our strongest XI now.
2. Our early exit in the League Cup. Donny would probably have gotten a lot of playtime there.
3. Our stacked offence. We have Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial and Lingard all hungry for playtime. That's 8 good players for 4 positions. And Donny's best position is in one of these positions.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
@moses

I agree that there is a lot of strangeness surrounding Donny. He was very expensive considering his CV and if he really wanted to leave this summer, then it's strange that he wasn't allowed to leave. Unless the club genuinely thought that Pogba was leaving, in which case it makes more sense.

I think Donny is suffering for three reasons:

1. Our poor start to the CL forced our hand a bit. We have to field our strongest XI now.
2. Our early exit in the League Cup. Donny would probably have gotten a lot of playtime there.
3. Our stacked offence. We have Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial and Lingard all hungry for playtime. That's 8 good players for 4 positions. And Donny's best position is in one of these positions.
Makes sense.

L1nk

All this arguing is pointless too when you consider the fact, well, okay if all the negative posters coming in here claiming Donny isn't good enough, well why the hell didn't we sell him in the summer and replace him with a midfielder we would play when we had offers then!? Ole specifically wanted to keep him, why? It's not even a support of Donny of this point it just makes no sense! Maybe the offers weren't high enough but his value is just going to continue to plummet if we never play him, i'll never wrap my head around Solskajers favouritism and squad use failings

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Ole has been atrocious in managing this player, but I don't think Donny is a player who ever has or ever will fit Ole's style of football. It should've happened this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sep 2020:

What the hell happened?
Considering he doesn't seem to have a clue how to use him or Sancho, I'm starting to suspect Solskjaer's telling porkies.

dinostar77

Donny would be a good signing for Barcelona or Madrid. Hopefully would get a proper chance to shine unlike here where hes being treated very badly. Romero was treated really badly last season as well. He was probably the best no2 goalie a club could have.

SAFMUTD

Im hopeful Ole will be gone before the next window and the new manager give VdB chances. Maybe he'll be convinced to stay, I think he can prove his worth.

If Ole staying then he'll be gone 100%, according to his last manager interviews he wanted out since summer but Ole promised him game time.

cyberman

Needs to go. He is a second tier player without any standout attributes.
Everton calibre player at best

RUCK4444

Really strange viewpoint to have this.

Ole is still searching to find the correct combination in midfield, as you said currently pogba cant get a look in.

Why would you gamble on Donny you ask? Because Matic cant run, Pogba can't defend, McTominey hides from the ball and Fred runs around like a loon with no purpose.

Ole has tried every combination of two - all have flaws. Why wouldnt you try another option?

I'm baffled by Donny's omission. He's technically better than Fred and McTominey. He could work well in a 2 with either - fact is we wont know until he's tried.

He could be the answer, it might not work. But if we dont try it whats the fecking point of signing him? To see Matic and Lingard get on the pitch before him is infuriating.

I love how Donny is being made out to be some scapegoat when he cant get more than the odd minute. It's like if he doesnt score 5 goals in his 7 minute cameo's our fans are "he's rubbish anyway". Quite happy to watch Pogba lose the ball a million times or Lingard cock up like always.

We cannot be happy with McTominey in midfield - it's mental. He's such a poor player
But Donny is not a CM. That's the simple answer and he's certainly not a DM.

He's as fecking slow and immobile as Mata. He is clearly not the answer to our midfield issues. He has neither the defensive ability or positioning to fix what has been our problem in midfield.

He was bought for one reason, cover for Bruno who we ran into the ground when he first arrived. I'm not even sure Ole wanted him all that much but he's Bruno's cover, not Matic.

Edit; And he's not a scapegoat, but his addition to midfield wouldn't fix the issues, which is obviously the managements perspective on it as well.

acnumber9

Donny would be a good signing for Barcelona or Madrid. Hopefully would get a proper chance to shine unlike here where hes being treated very badly. Romero was treated really badly last season as well. He was probably the best no2 goalie a club could have.
It’s funny you mention Romero because he’s a player a lot of people were convinced was better than sitting on the bench at United and would start for most Premier League teams. The reality was he was left without a club for five months before finally signing for a team hovering above the relegation zone in Serie A.

dinostar77

It’s funny you mention Romero because he’s a player a lot of people were convinced was better than sitting on the bench at United and would start for most Premier League teams. The reality was he was left without a club for five months before finally signing for a team hovering above the relegation zone in Serie A.
Out of sight and out of mind? Still argentina no1. A very good keeper. Shame we didnt sell Henderson when his value was high and kept Romero.

SAFMUTD

Out of sight and out of mind? Still argentina no1. A very good keeper. Shame we didnt sell Henderson when his value was high and kept Romero.
Emiliano Martinez is Argentina's #1. Romero isn't even on the squad anymore, at least since the world cup qualifiers and copa america.

RUCK4444

There's no way you can actually judge him at Utd based on the opportunities that have been afforded to him, he could very well be another Veron or Forlan. Unless he's actually given a proper run of games we will never know.

Now that Ole is clinging to his job, he is not giving him a chance, I get that, he doesn't want to put DVB in there when he's hanging on by a thread. He never did before so why start now.

He is going to trust the guys who have brought him to the brink to save his ass.
I'm not judging his ability in particular, I think he's a tidy player, nothing exceptional, well rounded but slow.

What I'm saying is the management do not see him as a DM. In a season where we have teams playing through us for fun why oh why would we throw Donny in the midfield two. We've seen that he doesn't track runners, doesn't have natural defensive instincts... of all the midfielders we have he's the weakest at these things. He's a 10, good at recycling possession and arriving late into the box for a goal, that's Donny in a nutshell. So asking for him to be thrown into the midfield pivot is just a craziness to me.

People are asking Ole to play him in a position he did not purchase him for, the weakest area of the starting 11 by a country mile, the position that has Ole on the brink of the sack. It isn't going to happen and it comes as zero surprise to me.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Needs to go. He is a second tier player without any standout attributes.
Everton calibre player at best
United are no better than Everton calibre currenlty.

All we have is a bunch of delusional fans that think we are still dining at the top table when we are far far from it. Top players dont pick United now unless its money reasons. So whats the difference between United and Everton - football wise? Not alot.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
United are no better than Everton calibre currenlty.

All we have is a bunch of delusional fans that think we are still dining at the top table when we are far far from it. Top players dont pick United now unless its money reasons. So whats the difference between United and Everton - football wise? Not alot.
Everton =Duffy
United =Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.