Donny Van De Beek / LOAN to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

How can any player prove himself or make an impact without a proper run of games? Donny hasnt had 3 starts nevermind 10 starts on a row. Madrid weren't interested, the deal was signed a done. Bar covid he would be playing with modric, krood, casmeiro and we would be drooling over another great player madrid had captured.

AaronRedDevil

How can any player prove himself or make an impact without a proper run of games? Donny hasnt had 3 starts nevermind 10 starts on a row. Madrid weren't interested, the deal was signed a done. Bar covid he would be playing with modric, krood, casmeiro and we would be drooling over another great player madrid had captured.
You’re not allowed talk sense on here. We need a ball playing midfielder. We have one but we don’t use him. He literally cannot be worse then Fred and McTominay. Not possible. Give him fecking 90mins. Not 5.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nah, he would be a back up in madrid too. That, or he'd play in the front 3

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I don't think he's very good midfielder or on the level we need, only in one game he showed he's willingess to cover the ground as needed and pass with conviction, in other games he played it safer than Cleverly in his first few games for us and covered little to no ground, I would like to see him in midfield three without Matic and overal given more chance but ultimately I believe if he showed enough skill and intensity in training and limited time for us, one of the two managers he played under would already give him a chance.

Seems likeanother Mkhytaryan/Kagawa situation, where both players played really well in a system which suited them but never ever could replicate that sort of form in any other club and even declined after rather than proving they were good enough.

I would be happy to see DVB to prove some of our doubters wrong but he's what he is, not good enough player (mentally, physically, technically) who will be shifted out soon. The extreme love for him bigger than for the club itself is really showing how desperate some of the fans are.

Matt851

Instead of judging a player on the few minutes he has had, could it just be that he's actually a good footballer that won't get a chance due to some weird reasons?

If you've ever watched him play for Ajax or the Dutch national team, you'd know he is a good footballer. But even good footballers look "bad" when misused. Your comment about the sprint is a perfect example for that. He is not a player suited for the kick and rush tactics we've had for a while now. But the thing is United should be a team that dominates every other team, not one that has to rely on counters. So having him on the pitch with him having to sprint in counterattacks is not using him correctly. We should be dominating the midfielder, not getting overrun and booting the ball forwards. VDB is the player we should use to get midfield control and pass our way forwards
Exactly, I do think there are some limitations in his game that explain why ralf and ole haven't picked him but I just don't think they are significant enough to restrict him to the time he has had (given the massive limitations with all of other options). Imagine giving Fred or matic a few minutes to prove themselves, they never would. Like quite a few others I think we should be giving him some minutes as part of a proper midfield 3

Also not sure I trust ralfs judgement based on what I have seen so far, and I sure as shit didn't trust oles

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You could have argued that Ole had a vendetta against him, but given Rangnick has joined the status quo it's starting to look like not a Manager issue and more of a player problem. Clearly neither Manager think he's cut out to be a midfielder and clearly neither Manager think he's a better candidate than Bruno. Our reluctance to sell him is baffling though given that he's clearly not rated.

Sviken

Ideally yes, do you understand the concept of a back up? He should only come in when there's injuries/suspensions. And he actually does come in when Bruno isn't available. The thing is, Bruno is rarely injured. He's dead last in the pecking order when it comes to the 2 CM positions. Regardless of what you think of McFred or Matic, VDB isn't a very good defensive midfielder either, so why is it a problem the gaffer rates the others above him in that situation?
Do you understand that Donny doesn't get picked regardless? You talk about him being Bruno's replacement, but Bruno has been subbed off multiple times this season and I don't remember the last time Donny came on in his place. The only time I've seen Donny is in a usually completely rotated squad in a meaningless cup game or a 2 to 5 minutes cameo at the end of a match. There's no point in keeping a player like that. And why do you people keep repeating the same shit "Well, McFred is bad, but Donny isn't very good either". Whatever, let the guy play so we can see. It's not like we're fighting for the title or anything that we are unable to experiment.

Bobski

If that's the case and he doesn't go then I have no sympathy
Why would their league position be a key decider for a loan player. Not as if he will be going down with them.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do you understand that Donny doesn't get picked regardless? You talk about him being Bruno's replacement, but Bruno has been subbed off multiple times this season and I don't remember the last time Donny came on in his place. The only time I've seen Donny is in a usually completely rotated squad in a meaningless cup game or a 2 to 5 minutes cameo at the end of a match. There's no point in keeping a player like that. And why do you people keep repeating the same shit "Well, McFred is bad, but Donny isn't very good either". Whatever, let the guy play so we can see. It's not like we're fighting for the title or anything that we are unable to experiment.
You're describing him getting picked.

backup
noun

[ C ]US
a player who plays when the person who usually plays is not available:
He's a backup for the Dallas Cowboys.

Backups are needed in case something goes wrong. It hasn't for Bruno. That's why Donny isn't likely to leave without a replacement. Is a second goalkeeper like Henderson "pointless" because Dave stays fit?

Donny constantly comes on for Bruno. Watch the games.

Hughie77

He needs a player to compliment him in CM, and I don't think we're going to get one sadly he's in the same mold as Mata, both technically gifted football players, who have not got a lot of pace or physical attributes to compete the way football has moved on. It was a buy we didn't need instead of getting a ball winner in there and up and down CM, let's see in summer.

KennyBurner

We can’t even prove he is shit because we won’t play him 2 games in row. This is the weirdest transfer ever for me. 40 million and he can’t even feature long enough to prove he isn’t good enough?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's off as soon as/if we get someone in this January.
It's vital we do, we will need 3 new cms in total and we might as well get someone in now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why would their league position be a key decider for a loan player. Not as if he will be going down with them.
It makes no sense. If anything there's chance to be a hero there.

Matt851

You could have argued that Ole had a vendetta against him, but given Rangnick has joined the status quo it's starting to look like not a Manager issue and more of a player problem. Clearly neither Manager think he's cut out to be a midfielder and clearly neither Manager think he's a better candidate than Bruno. Our reluctance to sell him is baffling though given that he's clearly not rated.
Rangnick hasn't played Bruno on several occasions and donny still hasn't started so he isn't really a back up. He doesn't even seem suited to playing in the same fashion as Bruno, appears better suited to playing as an 8

DavelinaJolie

You’re not allowed talk sense on here. We need a ball playing midfielder. We have one but we don’t use him. He literally cannot be worse then Fred and McTominay. Not possible. Give him fecking 90mins. Not 5.
How is speculating about what may have happened if he went to Madrid, and presenting it as a fact, talking sense?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Genuine question.

instead of blaming everyone else could it be that DVB just ain’t a good footballer?

Today he collected the ball after being on for all of 2 mins and tried to sprint by a Aston Villa player and looked like he had lead in his boots!!

I actually think the guy is a fraud and the sooner we send him packing the better, but what worries me is that there is United fans that cheer when he come on..
I think this sums up the fanbase to be honest.

Because he isn't a fast runner he's a bad footballer?? :lol:

there's been many good players over the years that can't dribble past players well.

Instead of looking at his negatives, look how he created space for himself in the box for a shot that nearly scored us the winner?

Our fans prefer runners over footballers, now wonder we've got to the state we are now.

DavelinaJolie

What would you call him??
40 million spent on a player that gets 2 mins here and there and can’t run
Fraud implies that he made himself out to be something he isn't. That isn't the case, Utd Scouted him and bought him, if he isn't up to par that's Utds scouting department at fault, not him.

Ixion

They've won one game all season, we could give them Ronaldo and I doubt it he would look any good in their side.

And maybe he doesn't want to play for their rotten money.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If that's the case and he doesn't go then I have no sympathy
He probably wants to go to a club where the loan can turn into a permanent move. He could probably get something in Italy or Germany and be playing regularly prior to the World Cup.

Andrew7582

I think this sums up the fanbase to be honest.

Because he isn't a fast runner he's a bad footballer?? :lol:

there's been many good players over the years that can't dribble past players well.

Instead of looking at his negatives, look how he created space for himself in the box for a shot that nearly scored us the winner?

Our fans prefer runners over footballers, now wonder we've got to the state we are now.
A box to box midfielder needs good athleticism, especially in the premier league, VDB is weak and slow. He can get away with it in the dutch league but not here in the premier league.

OrcaFat

There is plenty of evidence that he is not good enough. Two managers watch him in training and don’t pick him. Nine times out of ten when he gets minutes he does nothing to warrant more chances.

There is also a bit of evidence that he might be good enough or might become good enough. Plays okay for Holland. Has had a few decent run outs for us where his technique looks good.

On balance I think he is a technically able player, unsuited to the Prem. Might as well sell him abroad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A box to box midfielder needs good athleticism, especially in the premier league, VDB is weak and slow. He can get away with it in the dutch league but not here in the premier league.
Who said he needs to be a box to box?

He's no slower than Carrick or Scholes ever were. Midfielders need to be fast in their heads first and foremost.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

He's no slower than Carrick or Scholes ever were. Midfielders need to be fast in their heads first and foremost.
Indeed, his speed shouldn't be an issue for the position. The issue instead is that people think we need speed in midfield because our usual tactic is to bypass the midfielder and go for counters, for which we need speed

OmarUnited4ever

Ideally yes, do you understand the concept of a back up? He should only come in when there's injuries/suspensions. And he actually does come in when Bruno isn't available. The thing is, Bruno is rarely injured. He's dead last in the pecking order when it comes to the 2 CM positions. Regardless of what you think of McFred or Matic, VDB isn't a very good defensive midfielder either, so why is it a problem the gaffer rates the others above him in that situation?
Bruno was suspended for the Burnley game and VDB didn't start, so who is he backing up/covering, Telles played when Shaw is injured or suspended, Dalot is the same with AWB, so Telles and Dalot are actually valuable to the squad now and get to start games as backup/rotation/competition option, but VDB didn't get to start even when Bruno was suspended vs Burnley, so what's the point of keeping him?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
VDB comes on for Bruno all the time. Who do you think he replaces in his 5 minute cameos? He even outright replaced him under Carrick after his good sub appearance in the last Ole game.

He was subbed off for Bruno who did brilliantly.

Donny is viewed as an attacking midfielder and Bruno is our best player who happens to play in the same position and is nearly always available.

Hence Donny features less than say Lindelof who was clearly a backup for Varane Maguire for most of the season but they had injuries/suspensions.

Bruno was suspended for the Burnley game and VDB didn't start, so who is he backing up/covering, Telles played when Shaw is injured or suspended, Dalot is the same with AWB, so Telles and Dalot are actually valuable to the squad now and get to start games as backup/rotation/competition option, but VDB didn't get to start even when Bruno was suspended vs Burnley, so what's the point of keeping him?
Im guessing off the top of my head that was a 4-4-2 game?

He has consistently been Bruno's backup in the 4-2-3-1. Only in the cup games and a few European ones did he come in and play in the pivot.

He's just not a very good fit for the no 10 position with the way we play and Bruno is too important, so VDB features very little and was a poor signing.

OmarUnited4ever

VDB comes on for Bruno all the time. Who do you think he replaces in his 5 minute cameos? He even outright replaced him under Carrick after his good sub appearance in the last Ole game.

He was subbed off for Bruno who did brilliantly.

Donny is viewed as an attacking midfielder and Bruno is our best player who happens to play in the same position and is nearly always available.

Hence Donny features less than say Lindelof who was clearly a backup for Varane Maguire for most of the season but they had injuries/suspensions.

Im guessing off the top of my head that was a 4-4-2 game?

He has consistently been Bruno's backup in the 4-2-3-1. Only in the cup games and a few European ones did he come in and play in the pivot.

He's just not a very good fit for the no 10 position with the way we play and Bruno is too important, so VDB features very little and was a poor signing.
then again why keep him as a backup? he doesn't bring any value as a backup, probably doesn't fit Ralf's 4222, and Bruno is far better player in the #10 role in the 4213

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Glad he's not going to Newcastle. I don't want us doing them any favours.
If they want one of our boys they can pay sky high fees.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
then again why keep him as a backup? he doesn't bring any value as a backup, probably doesn't fit Ralf's 4222, and Bruno is far better player in the #10 role in the 4213
In case Bruno does get an injury/suspension? Or in case there's multiple injuries/suspensions in CM? Last game McT suspended, Pogba injured, he was our only midfielder on the bench.

Like I said, we should look to let everyone go if they don't want to be at the club, but not everyone can leave without a replacement.

pillo o'culture

Supports
utub disliek button
In case Bruno does get an injury/suspension? Or in case there's multiple injuries/suspensions in CM? Last game McT suspended, Pogba injured, he was our only midfielder on the bench.

Like I said, we should look to let everyone go if they don't want to be at the club, but not everyone can leave without a replacement.
I feel you, but is it really benefit us? Are you sure his getting his chance when that happens? won't it better we play with other formation or using our youth instead. An unhappy player, not rated, and not even playing regularly.
This Bruno's backup ideas really weird. Bruno was our talisman back then, there's no chance for him to be rotated. Then why buy an international player, a nailed starter at his old club, and near his prime age. What I'm missing here

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I feel you, but is it really benefit us? Are you sure his getting his chance when that happens? won't it better we play with other formation or using our youth instead. An unhappy player, not rated, and not even playing regularly.
This Bruno's backup ideas really weird. Bruno was our talisman back then, there's no chance for him to be rotated. Then why buy an international player, a nailed starter at his old club, and near his prime age. What I'm missing here
No we barely benefit. It was a shit signing and his talents are/have been wasted.

That said if the manager isn't promoting the kids or retraining players, his hands are tied if the board doesn't get him a player.

A top club needs a certain number of players and Donny is just a body to us.

I just wish people were a little more sympathetic to Ralf here. He inherited a poorly managed squad and hasnt had serious transfer windows to rectify issues.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It would be such an easy win with the fans and for PR for Ralf to give him a decent run. Let’s actually see him for a sustained period.

Andrew7582

Those two in their pomp were superior athletes. They also had a much better range of passing from deep. VDB is neat and tidy but he's not a great passer. VDB doesn't really bring anything to the table as a cm in the premier league, he's not good enough defensively to be the sitting midfielder, lacks athleticism for a box to box role and isn't a good enough passer to play a deep lying playmaker role. So what is the role that you have in mind for him, I would love to know? His positive attributes are best utilised higher up the pitch where he has positional freedom to play quick short passing combinations and make off the ball runs into dangerous positions, this is what he is good at.

It would be such an easy win with the fans and for PR for Ralf to give him a decent run. Let’s actually see him for a sustained period.
Ralf should ignore fan opinion and do what he thinks is best for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.