BVB (Bottlespielverein Borussia Dortmund) watch | You love to see it

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Top of the hardest group. Could be worse!

RoyH1

At this point, id wear it as a badge of honor. I increasingly feel drawn to follow the Bundesliga more bc of the ownership model amongst other reasons.
Aye, Prefer the farmers to oil fueled investment funds or plutocrats of the highest magnitude.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
At this point, id wear it as a badge of honor. I increasingly feel drawn to follow the Bundesliga more bc of the ownership model amongst other reasons.
Yeahhh I envy the ownership model. Bayern's recent dominance does sour it a little bit though.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeahhh I envy the ownership model. Bayern's recent dominance does sour it a little bit though.
Yes it's not great for the league, but I think it's nice to prove that a superclub can exist under the 50+1 ownership model. I just wish we had more than one of them...

Red Star One

I allow myself to bump a bit of an old thread, but I was not expecting them to reach the CL semi-finals. I don't watch much of Bundesliga, but from the glimpses I followed it seemed to me that on paper it's one of the worse BVB teams in a while. Is Terzić a good manager? He already matched ten Hag's biggest career achievement of reaching the CL semi with an underdog.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I allow myself to bump a bit of an old thread, but I was not expecting them to reach the CL semi-finals. I don't watch much of Bundesliga, but from the glimpses I followed it seemed to me that on paper it's one of the worse BVB teams in a while. Is Terzić a good manager? He already matched ten Hag's biggest career achievement of reaching the CL semi with an underdog.
Most would say that he isn't a great manager, as Dortmund play quite terrible most of the time under him. But they also had some great runs with them, at least result wise. When he first took over as an interim he won the German cup, in his first full season he (almost :lol:) won the league (only lost on goal difference, but closed a big gap to Bayern in the second half of the season). This season they continue to play underwhelming, but somehow have a knack for big matches which sees them through to the CL semifinal now.

I feel like Dortmund as a club (lead by Terzic in this regard) focused far too much on the question "how to beat Bayern". The result is a team that now physically can go head to head with any team, but severely lacks in creativity a lot of the time. Funnily enough it actually worked (they just beat Bayern for the first time in ages), but that doesn't matter much in the league because they struggle to break down small teams.

In that sense it probably was lucky for them that they got drawn into the "group of death" where they could actually play their underdog football in every match and win it. Still doesn't work all the time as shown by their matches against Leverkusen and Stuttgart in the league and cup this season.

So overall I think that Terzic is a solid manager, who massively benefits from being a Dortmund fan all his life and being involved in the club for a quite long time in different roles already. I don't expect him to ever work successful at any other big club, his style and attitude would probably better fit teams fighting against relegation than a top club that needs to dominate matches.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a matter of when not if they bottle it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Terzic is an interesting one. By the usual industry standards he definitely should have been sacked months ago if not earlier. He is a rookie and the terrible first half of the season is IMO primarily down to him as he seemed to be the one who insisted on player profiles that prioritized physique and mentality over technique and football IQ. He severely miscalculated what works well in modern football and was sort of the antithesis of Alonso in that sense. But: You have to admit that he learns from his mistakes. I think it was very stupid to go for those profiles to begin with but they it seems they realized this in the winter. Which is why they brought in technically gifted players with good close control, incisive passing and build up with Sancho and Maatsen. They also brought in Sahin who seems to be more of a positional play oriented coach. As a result, they look much better with the ball in this second half of the season.

So Terzic is essentially a pretty unique project. Dortmund resists the typical mechanisms of the industry and give him time to grow and learn from his mistakes. And Terzic sees his shortcomings and tries to improve on them respectively bring in experts who he grants much authority. It is not really comparable to the role of the coach but maybe more like the typical English manager role as the leader of a team of coaches, just with more focus on the sporting aspects and less on the actual transfer business. It might be a chance to achieve some continuity on this position. But it could also turn out a stupid concept that was only tried to keep somebody with BVB DNA in the coaching position despite being not up to the task in the end. We'll see - I wouldn't rule out that he'll still get Dortmund on track but if I were them and an elite coach would be willing to join them (say, Hoeneß, Nagelsmann or Tuchel), I'd replace him in their stead.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They played PSG twice already and allright, one was the first game of the CL season and the other a sort of dead rubber for them. But also, those games weren't competitive. At all. PSG should have won both by 5 goals, easily

That...uh. Doesn't fill me with confidence :nervous:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They played PSG twice already and allright, one was the first game of the CL season and the other a sort of dead rubber for them. But also, those games weren't competitive. At all. PSG should have won both by 5 goals, easily

On one hand that's true. On the other hand Dortmund fixed some glaring issues in the winter (key here the transfers of Maatsen and Sancho) and actually play a bit better now.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

In the first game PSG was much better, but i dont know where you get the opinion that PSG should have won the second match by 5 goals.

Edit: i just looked up the stats for the second game: 2,8xG to 1,3 for Dortmund. More one sided than i remember but not "should have won by 5 goals easily"

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In the first game PSG was much better, but i dont know where you get the opinion that PSG should have won the second match by 5 goals.

Edit: i just looked up the stats for the second game: 2,8xG to 1,3 for Dortmund. More one sided than i remember but not "should have won by 5 goals easily"
PSG missed 3 open goal tap ins in that game