DP Draft 480p QF: Himannv vs Enigma_87

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

---------------------------------------HIMANNV-------------------------------------------------------------------ENIGMA_87---------------------------------------

Team Himannv

Tactics
: 3-5-2

• Emphasis on building out from the back
  • High line high press

Attacking phase:
  • Ederson is a ball playing GK and helps with playing out from the back and is a sweeper keeper
  • Kohler, Moore, and McGrath form a modern back 3 and are all comfortable on the ball. They play a reasonably high line and are involved in starting attacks.
  • The wingbacks bomb forward at every opportunity and both are perfectly suited to playing a flank on their own and being an attacking force.
  • The midfield aims to keep possession and link the play, particularly through Masopust and Cambiasso.
  • Law plays a more fixed position up front and drags defenders out of possession while also getting on the end of passes and crosses and score himself.
  • Mane plays around Law and attacks spaces in and around the box.

Defensive phase:
  • Law and Mane work hard and press from the front.
  • The midfield 5 all press the ball carrier and look to win it back early so that they can launch an attack.
  • Mascherano shields the back 4 and is able supported by the other two midfielders.
  • The back line has a good combination of pace, stopping, and positioning that will help them snuff out most attacks.

Team Enigma_87

Formation:
4-4-2, merging in 4-5-1 in the defensive phase.

Defence:
Despite losing our star defender in Figueroa and another starter in the heart of defence in Tresor, we gained two of the greatest full backs in the game and one of the top stoppers in Desailly, bringing it into a really stacked defence and solid unit to counter the opposition threat. We have two balanced full backs in Lahm and Nilton Santos playing in their native roles, Desailly as a stopper tasked mainly in countering Law and Perfumo, one of Argentina's finest who has experience in playing both as a sweeper and stopper. In goal we also improve on the position bringing in Carrizo as our last line of defence.

Midfield: a high energy unit composed of the best box to box player in the game in Matthaus and his natural successor in Vidal will form an great foundation of our midfield core that would help both in defence and link with the attacking unit. On the side they have two very hard working wingers in Boniek and Stoichkov, whilst Rivellino will pull the strings in his natural #10 role. Rivelino will play as our main playmaker operating between the lines and dropping in midfield when we're off the ball. Here he's given the central stage with two fantastic box to box midfielders behind him and his goalscoring nous, ability on the ball and capability of picking a pass would allow him to prove his worth as one of the finest playmakers coming from Brazil.

Attack: We have been hard hit by the injury of Puskas, yet we have a lot of goalscoring options to make up for his goals. Up comes Gigi Riva who is a complete striker - fast, agile, great header and famous in Italy as Rombo di tuono (thunderclap) for his powerful left shot. Stoichkov will play in his favorite left zone giving ammo for Riva with his great crossing ability and can cut in and score from wide. Boniek will provide both in attack and midfield and his ghosting movement can easily be picked up from our creative core, whilst he's no stranger of scoring himself. Rivelino as well will chime in as his goalscoring record is pretty respective as well.

Key points:
- opposition has been hard hit by losing Pele and we do have advantage in terms of pure goalscoring ability as either of our front 6 can be decisive and chime in with a goal or assist.
- solid midfield core with everybody bar Riva putting a hand in, press in our half and give no control for the opposition.
- normal defensive line, defending in two lines of four(five when Rivelino drops in)
- quick transitions and hit the opposition on counter when we recoup the ball using Stoichkov, Riva and Boniek pace.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Blow me, this is tough. Two excellent teams! Instinctively like Enigma's team better but just the first impression.

High Line High Press tactics in a 3-5-2 just sound a bit off. That formation is more suited for counters.

Plus appreciate more clarity on this. Im not really feeling the comfort in high line or retaining possession with the set of players.

Kohler, Moore, and McGrath form a modern back 3 and are all comfortable on the ball. They play a reasonably high line and are involved in starting attacks.

The midfield aims to keep possession

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That back 5 of Himannv is insane but the front 5 (although not bad at all) just doesn't inspire me to consider voting for. Too bland for my liking.

Enigma's 4231 (no its not a 442 as the OP says) is really good as usual and wins my vote.

Himannv

Blow me, this is tough. Two excellent teams! Instinctively like Enigma's team better but just the first impression.

High Line High Press tactics in a 3-5-2 just sound a bit off. That formation is more suited for counters.

Plus appreciate more clarity on this. Im not really feeling the comfort in high line or retaining possession with the set of players.
3-5-2 is not purely a counter attacking formation. Many play high line high press. Atalanta with 3-4-1-2, RBL have played 3-5-2, Tuchel and Guardiola teams have played that way with a back 3.

I'm not sure what the concern is with the back line playing a high line. They're all very good on the ball and as a combination they are well suited to holding position further up the pitch.

Retaining possession should be fairly straightforward as well - I mean 3 of them have played in teams that use exactly these tactics, while others seem like good fits in my view. Where exactly do you see concerns?

Enigma_87

You know who
That back 5 of Himannv is insane but the front 5 (although not bad at all) just doesn't inspire me to consider voting for. Too bland for my liking.

Enigma's 4231 (no its not a 442 as the OP says) is really good as usual and wins my vote.
:lol: Actually the only reason I started Boniek and passed on very appealing and proven Lahm/Robben partnership was just so it could fit the 4-4-2 mechanics.

This was my intended formation from the off with Puskas as SS,btw.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This looks done so conceding defeat. Well played @Enigma_87

When you all get time, do let me know what you guys think didn't work exactly - would help in future if I want to revisit these tactics.
The system looks fine to me. Good fits at the back, very natural back 3 and wing-backs. It's a genuine team you could see in real life. But I think in drafts if you have fewer attackers on the pitch, then you really need the two who are remaining to be absolute top drawer. Law makes the cut, but ideally you'd have a Maradona figure there - a mobile roaming 10/SS - so people can see a rock solid platform plus a true game-changer in attack to nick narrow wins. Mane looks a little lightweight in this company for me, and is more persuasive in a front 3, rather than as the solitary link between attack and midfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

When you all get time, do let me know what you guys think didn't work exactly - would help in future if I want to revisit these tactics.
Enigma's is glittered with GOATs really make difference.

EDIT: like Gio said. Need shinny GOATs in attack when you go with 5-3-2.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

I reckon you could with someone more creative instead of Cambiasso too. Someone like Modric would have been ideal. Obviously shiny GOAT would be good instead of Mane

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, a better attacker than Mane next to Law and this could’ve easily end up the other way round.

Enigma_87

You know who

Thanks mate, unlucky for you the injuries really hit you hard. In drafts like these there’s always something you got to give and like my first game I barely had full backs on and here Pele was a huge loss.

as others mentioned a goat SS elevated your team and someone more b2b instead of Cambiasso could’ve easily shifted this.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That scoreline :(

In all honesty this was more or less a coin toss for me. That back five is immense and was the most eye-catching aspect of either team, although Enigma's wing pairings are both superb as well. The strong seam of workrate throughout your team made the high press viable, and although he won't get much credit in an all-time pool I felt that Mane was the sort of player who would combine well with Law to create chances for each other. For me, the only downside was that the midfield looked a bit conservative and pedestrian creatively relative to the quality Enigma had in those areas. It is one of those matches that makes me wonder if we undervalue great defences though - it was tough to vote against that wall of a backline.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Himannv would have voted for you if you played the same team just different style, if you went a bit deeper and played on the counter you would have my vote. This way Mascherano was out of his depth(that way would be in his element), 3 proper centerbacks in a back 3 was a bit iffy for the style and considering its a back 3 would prefer something more attacking/nimble then Cambiasso. Still a good side though that made me not to vote.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I was nailed on to give it to enigma and then scrolling down to himannv team it slowly evaporated. My only problem was Cambiasso and not in a way it had to be Xavi type of player (Schuster or Scholes for example). Really liked Mane with Law here and also high press/high line tactic. Would actually switch and played Mane upfront with Law being the one to link midfield and attack.

So, I called it a draw in the end (yes, yes I know, but I gave it a thorough consideration!).