DP Draft 480p SF: Enigma_87 vs Zlatan 7

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

------------------------------------ENIGMA-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ZLATAN

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation:
4-3-2-1, Christmas tree.

Defence:
Classic sweeper-stopper combo at the heart of the defence in Moore and Kohler, flanked by two of the pioneers of the attacking full backs of the 60's in Nilton Santos ans Armfield. A balanced defensive unit that will have Nilton and Armfield supporting the attack when we're on the ball but also keeping it safe when we lose it and manning their flanks. Moore and Kohler are two of the greatest defenders in the game and in their position and are able to command their area both on the deck and in the air.

Midfield: a high energy unit composed of Desailly, who protects the back four, Vidal in his natural B2B game adding in both phases and covering every inch of grass and Masopust who is our playmaker pulling the strings in the middle.

Attack: the cherry on top - Pele and Puskas combo that are recognized as one of the elite goalscorers of all time,having it all - pace, power, technique and nice balance of styles that is also reminiscent of Kocsis/Puskas combo at the national team for Hungary or the mutual understanding of Pele and Tostao as neither of them is a pure scorer or creator. Both are complete forwards that have the ability to add to their game and form a devastating partnership for the opposition. On the side we have Arjen Robben, who brings directness and ability to work the right channel and stretch the defence leaving openings and the opposition defenders bewildered.

Key points:
- greater firepower up front. We have one of the greatest finishers in the game with a bundle of creativity from behind to give them ammo.
- solid back four protected by one of the very best DM's in the game in Desailly

TEAM ZLATAN

injuries hit me hard this game and lost most of the star quality players that I think is need for this stage of the competition.

With that in mind I’ve kept it simple and gone for as strong as possible 442.

defence speaks for itself, all players comfortable in their positions, both full backs able to assist their wingers getting forward.

Two central midfielders strong as you like, will work well together if one goes and one stays, and world class wingers either side of them willing to put in a shift.

Kaka will float around, play inbetween the lines, picking the ball up deeper trying To pull defenders about to free up more space for crespo

Skizzo

Not sure if I should vote or not, but at first glance I like Enigma’s setup. The more I look at Zlatan’s 442, the more I like it though :lol:

Last edited:

Himannv

Spent a bit of time watching Vidal over the last few days and it's underrated how much of an immense presence he brings to that right hand side. He's a very aggressive and effective ball winner in both boxes and his movement and workrate is exceptional. This compilation of his game against Lazio in 2013 caught my eye:

Features two lovely goals and both are chances created primarily by his movement. The first one is a lovely outside of the boot finish and the second is more of a hard working midfield runners goal. Also features lots of ball recoveries all along that right hand side, consistently helping out the fullback, while also being a very serious threat in attack. I think he's a lovely fit for this rightsided midfielder position.

Skizzo

That’s the spirit :lol:
considering you’re missing Cruyff, Maradona, Henry, Sammer etc, I think it still ended up being a solid and functional 442. Crespo probably lacks the cutting edge goal threat against that opposition defense…but Kaka, Giggs and Figo could provide enough opportunities I think for Crespo to make something happen.

harms

Staff
I'm going to spam this video every time I see Moore's name now.

In all seriousness, Enigma's Moore-Kohler pairing probably wins him this.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This was always going to be a tough match and enigmas team is strong, I’d have to target his full backs and would hope they giggs would cause some trouble out in the left with cold overlapping him, enigmas team is quite narrow so would mean Vidal having to play wide and deep quite a lot enabling my midfield to get a foothold in the game, also think Kaka would cause enough trouble and be able to create something for crespo to make the most of.

was always going to be a tough ask though and I’m happy to have got just a few votes after seeing what injuries done to my team and ideas for this round.

Himannv

Wanted to post this as well. I have to say I haven't followed Puskas much before this draft so I decided to check out some compilations, etc. on him and I found it really interesting.

This video gave a nice little overview of his skills:

- The first thing I noticed was how two footed he was. It felt like he could take the shot on whichever side the chance came to him and he looked really comfortable with either foot really..
- I also noticed how a lot of his skills came to the fore when he received the ball. His first or second touch is almost always done with the aim of creating space for himself. He'd just pull it back just enough to take the ball away from the defender or slide it into an area that the defender is not moving towards or he'd skillfully work his way around the player. In short his skills are very complementary to scoring more goals and I think he was ahead of his time in that regard.
- Obviously his finishing looks top notch and the combination of finishing and ability to make space for himself to score is probably why he has the goal numbers that he does.

This is an all touch compilation of him in that famous game vs England.

- I think people can be forgiven for thinking he'd gravitate towards the left, but I don't think that's the case with him. From what I see, I think he'd be comfortable drifting to either side and creating chances from there.
- The video highlights some excellent interlinking play, which was interesting because I think that will give his partnership with Pele here some more meaning and effectiveness.
- He also looks good off the ball and seems to press and try to win it back quickly.
- The incredible assists stats are also not surprising considering the quality of his passing, vision, and his touches - my thinking is that he could actually play in the hole behind the striker along with the best of them in addition to just being a top striker if the game calls for that.

This was recently posted by Isotope in the other thread:

PlayerGoal RatioAssist RatioNotes
Puskas0.990.48
Pele0.920.42RSSSF goals, games totals
De Bruyne0.250.41
Ozil0.160.38
Riquelme0.260.38
Maradona0.510.37
Neymar0.590.37
T Muller0.380.34
Beckham0.170.34
Messi0.800.34Club and country
Zidane0.210.33Champions League and Real Madrid only
GIGGS0.170.32Ms Smoker Redcafe data
Silva0.180.3108/09 onwards
Figo0.180.31
Ronaldinho0.360.30
Fabregas0.170.30
Laudrup0.260.30European Cup and international tournaments only
Mata0.220.2808/09 onwards
Kaka0.300.28
Valderrama0.110.27
Baggio0.460.27
Robben0.350.27
Hazard0.280.26
Totti0.390.24All club
MULLER0.850.24Bundesliga only
Rivaldo0.430.22
Scholl0.240.22
CRISTIANO0.730.21
Hassler0.170.20No Serie A

Datasource: @Gio
Graph source: @Isotope

Some interesting numbers there. Considering the videos I've seen of him, I don't think it's surprising that he's so effective. He's truly a stellar footballer in the final third and really seems capable of doing it all (scoring, creating, pressing, interlinking, etc.). It's also interesting how Pele is second on this list and obviously just as well rounded a player. I think it'll be a devastating combination and I see it functioning similar to Puskas - Di Stefano at times, but also with them switching positions when it suits them.

harms

Staff
- The first thing I noticed was how two footed he was. It felt like he could take the shot on whichever side the chance came to him and he looked really comfortable with either foot really..
It's probably worth noting that half of that compilation doesn't show Puskás at all — at least three right-footed goals were scored by Hidegkuti, one by Bozsik, one by Czibor... I stopped watching after that. And no, Puskás wasn't two-footed (aside from the most literal sense of the word). He was one of the most predominantly left-footed footballers in history and one of the few who possessed the technique to consistently use the outside of the boot to "imitate" right-footed passes/shots in terms of trajectory.

harms

Staff
Here's a great video (205 views compared to 600k+ on that lazy compilation from earlier :o ) that showcases Puskás' general play — you'll see how heavily he favours his left foot

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Puskas was really a dominant left foot,he has one of the best shooting techniques in football history.
Imagine Puskas and Pele in the same team,This is a maginificent and complete attacker duo.
Pele can provides heading abilities,passing ,dribbling and shooting combine with Puskas's shooting,passing and playmaking and both of them can really support each other really well.

The most important things both of them are god levels at middle shooting(15-30yards especially Puskas) and long shots(both of them shot really well at over 30 yards too).

Kopa quote about Puskas
"Puskás scared the hell out of goalkeepers from the 30-35 metre range. He did not just have a powerful shot, but precision as well. I thought he was a genius." (Raymond Kopa about Ferenc Puskas)

Enigma_87

You know who
Here's a great video (205 views compared to 600k+ on that lazy compilation from earlier :o ) that showcases Puskás' general play — you'll see how heavily he favours his left foot

Great compilation this one of the best I’ve seen for Puskas.
Highlights his involvement in the general play and him as a complete forward.

harms

Staff
Great compilation this one of the best I’ve seen for Puskas.
Highlights his involvement in the general play and him as a complete forward.
Yeah. A guy appeared in my comments and I’ve clicked on his channel only to discover this gem. Really wonderful stuff that highlights a lesser-known part of his game — and done with such meticulous attention to detail.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

That little reverse flick (it's hard to make out too clearly what he actually does) from the play that starts about 5:15 a possible moment of genius. It's an injustice no one scored from it.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Tough luck @Zlatan 7 , that is a perfect 4-4-2 and there was no question in my mind about who I would vote for as soon as I saw it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks both, always knew it would be up hill task once I lost the star quality.

good luck in next round enigma