DP Draft 480p SF: Physiocrat (Sinister) vs Skizzo (Gio)

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

------------------------------------PHYSIOCRAT-----------------------------------------------------------------------------SKIZZO

Team Physiocrat (Sinister)

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 4213
Defensive Line Balanced
Marking – Zonal

The front three will provide serious goal threat and with Liedholm RSS have perfect feed from deep. In what might look like a bit of an out of position role, Shevchenko roams across the front line and with playing with Cafu at RB he is not tasked with providing width. Ronaldinho reprises his peak Barca role at LM.

The creative hub of the side is the seriously underrated Nils Liedholm. The conductor of the all-time great Swedish side of the 50s – his left foot was supremely creative and provided exquisite passes. He will have great fun with the movement of the front three. He also had good work rate off the ball two. This video is definitely worth watching.

Now I’m not normally a fan of two B2B players in a double pivot but with a more hardworking 8 than a genuine 10, this can certainly work especially as Keane was much less attacking than I had remembered him (I watched a number of all-touch comps recently). One stays and the other goes. Both can drop deep to pick it up from the CBs and start moving the ball forward. Obviously that powerhouse of a midfield two will be a pain for Skizzo/Gio when they attack.

At the back Cafu will play his normal attacking game with Bennarivo a little more reserved. Huge quality at CB with Forster and Thuram who will have the pace and physicality to minimise the threat from Romario and CR7.

Finally in goal is the best keeper post Buffon in the shape of Manuel Neuer.

Fit bench -

V. Bessonov, M. Schwarzer, D. Forlan, R. Ayala, P. Cocu, T. Howard, S. Lerby, E. Streltsov, Modric, A. Rattin, Drogba, A.Robertson, Di Maria, Alisson Becker

Team Skizzo (Gio)

Formation: 4-3-3

After all the tactical and formation originality, we're settling back into a bit of a standard set-up. Injuries meant we couldn't get overly creative, but we've settled on something we're happy with across the board.

Not sure things require much explanation in terms of functionality. Full backs will look to bomb on and support the attack as necessary. Romario leading the line. Younger Cristiano being more provider than out and out goalscoring maniac to link up better with Romario. Midfield being anchored by Tito as Davids and Neeskens form the all action duo in front of him.

Bench
D. Simeone, B. Robson, U. Fillol, S. Aguero, P. Cech, C. Valderrama, A. Hansen, F. Adu, G. Souness, O. Cordoba, T. Cubillas, R. Bratseth, J.P. Sorin

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Line-up pretty much as suspected from Skizgio.

The relative weakness of the side however is the passing ability of their midfield three compared to ours. Whilst it is a balanced three, having Goncalves without another passer seems a bit off in the way that playing Busquets in that role would. Also whilst Neeskens in the best role he could have I do think he can be overrated here. As Sjor has shown in his many compilations his performance level was a bit erratic as was his passing and he jumped in all over the place.

Tigana and Keane are better passers than Davids and Neeskens before I mention clearly the best passer on the pitch in Liedholm. Further, I also have Ronaldinho who is probably the most creative left forward in all history.

So as is clear, I think I have the upper hand in the creativity stakes and with the movement and pace of Shevchenko and Surarez could cause Blanc and Nesta some serious problems.

Skizzo

The relative weakness of the side however is the passing ability of their midfield three compared to ours. Whilst it is a balanced three, having Goncalves without another passer seems a bit off in the way that playing Busquets in that role would. Also whilst Neeskens in the best role he could have I do think he can be overrated here. As Sjor has shown in his many compilations his performance level was a bit erratic as was his passing and he jumped in all over the place.
So we have ability on the ball from Goncalves, and creativity with two players in behind Romario who would both drop and look to get on the ball, Dani Alves who would be a creative option out wide, Blanc and Nesta from the back, and Davids and Neeskens are both comfortable passing the ball forward. We don’t lack an ability to pass the ball out of midfield or anywhere else really.

Tigana and Keane are better passers than Davids and Neeskens before I mention clearly the best passer on the pitch in Liedholm. Further, I also have Ronaldinho who is probably the most creative left forward in all history.
Obviously I’m not gonna downplay Ronaldinho’s ability, but I think Rivaldo and Ronaldo would want to have a say. Not to mention that Ronaldo against Bennarivo would be a clear route inwards, and having both Rivaldo and Ronaldo able to drift into that central area with no designated DM would create some chaos, especially with Romario up top.

Bennarivo might sub himself off up against that all afternoon.

So as is clear, I think I have the upper hand in the creativity stakes and with the movement and pace of Shevchenko and Surarez could cause Blanc and Nesta some serious problems.
I’d argue that Romario’s pace and movement and clinical finishing will be complemented nicely with the creativity from the two players in behind.

In a game of fine margins, having Shevchenko as a RW, roaming or not, leaves a lot for Cafu to do when he’s also gonna be tasked with Brehme/Rivaldo operating down his side. The lack of an actual DM is gonna hurt too when it leaves a lot of space in between midfield and defense for my attackers to drift and dribble into.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

I didn't see the creativity bit at first but agree with you on that. That side definitely needs a better playmaker among Rivaldo/Davids/Neeskens.

Has made me reconsider my vote. Will put in my final vote tomorrow.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
In a game of fine margins, having Shevchenko as a RW, roaming or not, leaves a lot for Cafu to do when he’s also gonna be tasked with Brehme/Rivaldo operating down his side. The lack of an actual DM is gonna hurt too when it leaves a lot of space in between midfield and defense for my attackers to drift and dribble into.
If Tigana goes, Keane stays and vice versa. There will always be one of them in the DM position. Also the lack of a 10 in your side minimises any problem anyway.

It is true Cafu has a lot to do at RB here but he can do it and Thuram at CB is the ideal CB to drift wide to cover any space there

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Physio - great team in real life
Skizzo - great draft team

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Something about the pairing of young Cristiano & Romario seems off, I can see the latter getting frustrated like Ruud did at one point. A diamond with a peak Madrid version up front with Romario would've been a more natural set up for me — both were extremely selfish but at least it's more honest & we don't expect one to feed the other (and Cristiano did excel with a goalscoring-oriented number 9 in Higuain). Especially since your fullbacks & midfielders are pretty much perfect for a diamond formation.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I think that's underselling the passing ability of our team. If we compare defences, our back 4 has a lot more ball-playing quality in Brehme, Alves, Nesta and Blanc, all of whom were smooth in possession. They were all players who took the ball into midfield areas without missing a beat and, Nesta apart (although he could've played anywhere), they have all been used in midfield at different points in their careers.

Even in midfield both Neeskens and Davids were key cogs in ball-dominating set-ups. To illustrate Davids for Ajax and Holland played in very progressive sides that took control of games in midfield on the ball. And even he had a huge technical toolkit in his armoury that he rarely called upon because, like Keane for instance, he always chose the most efficient option. These guys were not simply destroyers.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think that's underselling the passing ability of our team. If we compare defences, our back 4 has a lot more ball-playing quality in Brehme, Alves, Nesta and Blanc, all of whom were smooth in possession. They were all players who took the ball into midfield areas without missing a beat and, Nesta apart (although he could've played anywhere), they have all been used in midfield at different points in their careers.
That's true but you still want better ability further forward. Also whilst Brehme was a good player maker from LB one of his outstanding attributes is his crossing but young Cristiano was not nearly as good as the later version in the air and Romario was tiny. Yes he could play the low cross but from LB I expect the higher balls to be an option more regularly - Rivaldo would be better placed for the early low cross.

Even in midfield both Neeskens and Davids were key cogs in ball-dominating set-ups. To illustrate Davids for Ajax and Holland played in very progressive sides that took control of games in midfield on the ball. And even he had a huge technical toolkit in his armoury that he rarely called upon because, like Keane for instance, he always chose the most efficient option. These guys were not simply destroyers.
I'm not saying Davids and Neeskens are McFred it's just in this system you would ideally like a top creative DLP behind them, the obviously examples being Scholes or Pirlo, not an older version of Busquets

Skizzo

@harms the original setup was as a diamond. From the very beginning I’ve wanted to have Ronaldo in his Left Forward position to come in and do his thing. First round Dani Alves was blocked, second round Ronaldo was blocked :lol: this round we decided to focus on him up against the weaker side rather than cutting in on Cafu-Thuram and having the full backs responsible for width and stopping Ronaldinho.