DP Draft 720p QF: Pat Mustard vs Michael

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who

---------------------------------------PAT MUSTARD-------------------------------------------------------------------MICHAEL---------------------------------------

TEAM PAT MUSTARD

Formation: 4-3-3

A mercifully kind injury list and a good reinforcement round means that I'm able to field something close to my original vision, vague as it was. Beckenbauer is restored the libero role, with the outstanding Voronin coming back from injury to assume the DM position. As a bulwark against Michael's GOAT pairing of Platini and Di Stefano, assuming he doesn't drop one of them for balance, it doesn't get much better than that.

The only minor tactical note is my left wing, where the arrows signify firstly that Facchetti is free to bomb forward, on the wing and infield, in his own unique fashion. Secondly, Baggio's positioning on the left is merely nominal when we're in possession - he's an inside forward who will roam into the hole to create, and use his excellent off-the-ball runs to get on the end of passes from others. Finally, and most crucially, Brady was a magnificent ball-carrier and creator from wide areas, and his ability to occupy that space is an important component of making that left-sided unit complete. Even in this exalted company, Brady carving an opportunity for Spencer with that sumptuous left foot looks a highly viable route to goal.

Defence:

Moderate defensive line that will obviously push up when we're in possession. Mindful of what the opposition is fielding here, and with us having an abundance of creativity further up the park, Beckenbauer will ration his forays into attack here, instead contributing to the build up with his excellent playmaking from deeper areas. Beside him, Walter Samuel is his stopper foil, a tank of a defender who looks a good stylistic match for John Charles if and when he appears up front for the opposition. Facchetti, clearly, is as good as it gets as an attacking LB, while on the other side Danny McGrain has impressed me greatly with his poise and skill on the ball as well as his resolute defending. He'll play a fairly restrained role here, with Gullit providing most of the attacking width on that flank. Behind them, Schmeichel comes into the team, and whoever the opposition field in goal, we're going to have a substantial advantage in relative quality there.

Midfield:

I've elaborated on Brady's role on balancing the left flank in the introduction, so I'll merely wax lyrical about the midfield unit in general here. An absolutely top-class DM with a knack of neutering world class opponents in Voronin, a consumate all-rounder who can dictate a match in Falcao, and Brady himself, who provides plenty of graft to complement his lavish gifts as a creator on the ball.

Attack:

The lethal Alberto Spencer spearheads the attack. Fast, mobile and utterly lethal in the air and on the deck, he's proved his stripes in the Copa Libertadores when it was at it's strongest, and the Intercontinental Cup against formidable Real Madrid and Benfica outfits. Baggio operates as our final third talisman from an inside-left position. Gullit, probably my favourite human being in the world for the duration of this draft for his ability to play everywhere excellently, lines up on the right wing for this match. An excellent dribbler with a peach of a cross, he will of course be a menace when attacking the far post from deliveries from our left side. As ever, his ability to support the midfield and defend his flank out of possession is a massive asset.

TEAM MICHAEL
My team will play a 4-2-1-3 formation with a fluid interchanging front 4 of Rensenbrink, Stoichkov, Di Stefano and Platini all of whom are highly capable at both creating and finishing. I'd also like to point out the defensive solidity of my back line which contains three of the all time elite defensive players in Krol, Nesta and Vogts and one of Brazil's greatest leftbacks in Junior.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Stacked teams these with no real weaknesses. Brady and Falcao are lovely glue to mesh those GOATs around them together. Good to see Spencer get centre-stage. Michael's attack is easier to envisage than the first round and the defence is well bolstered.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
So? You’re in a different draft.
Ah, does that matter? If case it is my error. I haven't understood the rules properly then. Was it just the spoils of war picks that were ones unavailable to drafters whose players were taken?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ah, does that matter? If case it is my error. I haven't understood the rules properly then. Was it just the spoils of war picks that were ones unavailable to drafters whose players were taken?
The only unavailable players are those that got injured. Whatever happens in a parallel dimension (works both ways), it doesn’t affect your team at all.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The only unavailable players are those that got injured. Whatever happens in a parallel dimension (works both ways), it doesn’t affect your team at all.
Ah. In which case I didn't need to drop a certain Frenchman from my side. Oh well

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Pat's team should ideally be a 4-3-2-1. Damn him for not going for the obvious. Nearly lost my vote there!

Lots of star power from Michael's team, but niggles too. I really don't see any width down the Vogts/Stoichkov right flank. Just finding it hard to imagine how that midfield will work. Plus still believe a good old fashioned CF would make it lot more balanced.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pat's team should ideally be a 4-3-2-1. Damn him for not going for the obvious. Nearly lost my vote there!
4-3-3 is really the best formation with the current crop. Baggio and Gullit with the freedom to cut in and in Baggio's case to drop into the hole, whilst Voronin is holding and Brady is in his zone as AM who can also drift wide.

The only question mark is whether Spencer will get enough service in the air from either side. Facchetti can swing one in, but he also loved to cut in and Gullit from what I've seen crossed more from the left rather than the right where he cut in and was at the end of crosses himself.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
4-3-3 is really the best formation with the current crop. Baggio and Gullit with the freedom to cut in and in Baggio's case to drop into the hole,
Unlike Ronaldinho (who starts wide and cuts in), Baggio prefers to operate through the middle predominantly and drifts wide when necessary. He certainly can do the job here, but I don't think out wide in a 4-3-3 is his best position. It actually is the same with Gullit too.