DP Draft 720p SF: Pat Mustard (Michael) vs Sjor Bepo (Jim Beam)

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

-----------------------------------PAT MUSTARD--------------------------------------------------------------------------SJOR BEPO

Team Pat Mustard (Michael)

Formation: Carré Magique

A familiar set up for two of our best players, the consumate midfield all-rounder Paulo Falcao and our rapier point Michel Platini. The swashbuckling FB pairing of Facchetti and Junior will provide plenty of attacking impetus from their respective flanks, with a solid central defensive core of Schmeichel, Bossis and Nesta bulwarked by the monstrous Voronin/Edwards duo holding the fort.

Falcao has supreme pedigree in these narrow, playmaker-centric midfield set ups, firstly tying together Brazil's 1982 WC Magic Square, and then starring for an outstanding Roma team alongside the likes of Cerezo and Di Bartolomei. He'll free up Platini to weave his match-deciding magic further up the pitch. Stoichkov and Gullit assume crucial roles here as roving forwards. They'll peel wide to provide width and create space for Platini to exploit, and Gullit in particular will provide a huge physical presence to trouble the opposition CBs.

Substitutes: Carrizo, N'Kono, Samuel, Greig, Khurtsilava, Essien, L. Enrique, Rivaldo, Jairzinho, Joya, Cavani, Charles

Team Sjor Bepo (Jim Beam)

Subs: De Bruyne, Mbappe, Cherenkov, Ederson, K.Navas, Goncalves, Suarez Miramontes, Leandro, Kempes, Mazurkiewicz, Alisson, Vasovic, D.Pereyra

Tactics: 4-4-2 diamond/4-3-3 hybrid;

Mentality: high-tempo, extremely aggressive and attacking;

The idea and the inspiration: Sir Alex Ferguson and Jurgen Klopp sides;

Run, run, run.... and then run some more.

The front-three of Samuel Eto'o, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Park Ji-Sung have the freedom in attack to express themselves but they also position themselves very high to keep constant pressure on the opponent's defence. In the center of the park, the team is supported with world-class trio in Igor Netto, Sir Bobby Charlton and Paul Breitner who revives one of the best partnership the world has ever seen with Karl Heinz Rummenigge. Not only does he have Rummenigge in front, but he also forms a complimentary partnership with Manchester United and England's best ever player in Bobby Charlton. This duo can run, pass, score... you name it, they have it. Their runs from midfield of the park will be pretty much impossible to handle.

Netto will play deeper to recycle possession but also to collect the ball from defence and feed those in front of him.

Back 4 compliment the rest of the team in a perfect manner with Rio Ferdinand and Paul McGrath forming a brilliant central partnership full of skill, intelligence, speed, techical ability and no nonsense defending. Bixente Lizarazu and Javier Zanetti support the team from fullback positions and can cover their flank up and down the whole day being exactly what's needed for this formation. Goal will be kept by three-time IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper award winner in Jose Luis Chilavert.

Why Park Ji-Sung?

One of the biggest Alex Ferguson bargains and the ultimate big game player. While Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo often stoled the headlines it is Park Ji-Sung who often made it work to devastating effort providing a necessary balance to the team and allowing those around him to thrive. An unsung hero and a perfect team player Park will play in the hole for this team. But why not Luis Suarez Miramontes? Why not Bobby Charlton? Because we see him being perfect for the job.

In the defensive phase, he will be the furthest forward attacking the opposition backline. We needed someone who will excel in such job hunting and harassing along with Kalle and Eto'o. If the opposition manages to get the ball out he will attack Pat's and Michael's DM (presumably Voronin) not letting him to dictate the game. Also, in defensive transition he will be an great asset for covering both Breitner and Charlton if they end high up, both have great engines and work rate but having a safety via Park is a great bonus for both.

In the offensive phase, he will drop down pulling the opposition CB's on him and allowing Eto'o and Kalle to attack central areas. If the opposition CB's don't follow him he will position himself in the hole between the attack and midfield providing another outlet for Charlton and Breitner who will use his presence to link up and attack from deeper areas while Park occupies opposition DM.
Having this profile of player alongside Breitner and Charlton should really elevate their own game and put them in the best possible position to shine - something Park done all his career, the ultimate team mate.

Park Ji-Sung or "Three-Lungs" Park was not only known for his endless energy, brilliant attitude and strong determination to win the ball back. He also had a brilliant pass in him, exceptional off-the-ball movement and link up game. To cut it short, by bringing Park in the heart of our team, the intention is to fully release all around him (especially the likes of Eto'o, Rummenigge, Charlton and Breitner).

In May 2020, former teammate Wayne Rooney said that Park was as important to the Manchester United side of 2006–2009 as he and Cristiano Ronaldo were, commenting: "It's crazy but if you mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo to a 12-year-old, they would immediately say,
'Yeah, he was a brilliant player for Manchester United.' But if you said 'Ji-sung Park' they may not know who he was. Yet all of us who played with Park know he was almost as important to our success. That's because of what Park gave to the collective and I want to talk about teams. They – not stars – are the most important thing in sport. People say our United team had all these great players. In reality our biggest strength was as a pure counterattacking machine. We would sit back in our shape, win the ball and just go. Park or Fletch [Darren Fletcher] – or both – were always involved. They were vital to us. Players like me, Ronaldo, Tevez got the headlines but they [Park and Fletcher] were as important as us if not more, because of what they did for the team. We knew that inside the dressing room — and also that because they were so good at sacrificing themselves, their actual individual quality was often overlooked."

GodShaveTheQueen

I would have swapped Charlton and Park and give Park the job of full time harassing Platini.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cheers @GodShaveTheQueen !

I wasn't expecting the Park move. Team Beam was going to be a pressing machine in all my projected line ups for them, but Park certainly ramps it up that extra notch.

I don't see any real weak link in our team in terms of comfort in possession though and I'm confident that we'll generally be able to get the ball out of defence. Platini feeding Gullit and especially Stoichkov after we beat the opposition press looks a lethal route to goal, even against a pacey defence. I'd also point out that having a tank like Gullit up front with his strong back-to-goal game is a handy option when we are pressured into hoofing it long.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dont really have a bad word for Mustard team, finally a proper game in drafts where both teams are set up to go full pelt rather then carrying some superstar. Would be a proper spectacle like City Pool games.

Šjor Bepo

Cheers @GodShaveTheQueen !

I wasn't expecting the Park move. Team Beam was going to be a pressing machine in all my projected line ups for them, but Park certainly ramps it up that extra notch.

I don't see any real weak link in our team in terms of comfort in possession though and I'm confident that we'll generally be able to get the ball out of defence. Platini feeding Gullit and especially Stoichkov after we beat the opposition press looks a lethal route to goal, even against a pacey defence. I'd also point out that having a tank like Gullit up front with his strong back-to-goal game is a handy option when we are pressured into hoofing it long.
Generally its fine but as we see in real life even the best drilled sides with players that are great in possession struggle against the great press.
From the little footage i saw, Junior can be pressed as proved by a great Hajduk side from Ivic. Specially considering he is playing out of position, yes he is right footed but his main asset was playing through the middle.
Also, recently been watching Nesta and while generally calm and composed, i noticed he was a bad passer, something you can bypass but considering Schmeichel is behind him and we know how important keepers are in avoiding the press, it could be an issue.

Regarding the side, as i said i love it and cant say a bad word. Would only ask a question about Falcao, i barely watched him but to my knowledge he wasnt a n10.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Regarding the side, as i said i love it and cant say a bad word. Would only ask a question about Falcao, i barely watched him but to my knowledge he wasnt a n10.
I wouldn’t buy the point about his “familiarity with the system” where he had played in a different role, but for Roma he did play as an attacking midfielder of sorts (hence the comparisons to Platini). He was never a true #10, always playing in a midfield-manner, but he was certainly an attacking midfielder.

Their midfield looked like this (when Prohaska was there)
Falcão
Ancelotti - Prohaska
+ Di Bartolomei pushing forward as a libero

And like this
Falcão
Cerezo - Ancelotti
+ Bartolomei pushing forward in a very aggressive manner

And Conti often played as a free-ish AM peeling out wide.

harms

Staff
Although a more traditional diamond looks like a more natural fit for those four in my opinion.

Šjor Bepo

cheers harms, still a strange inclusion IMO specially considering diamond was a good option for all midfielders involved and the fact im not really buying Falcao in a secondary n10 role ala Giresse.

harms

Staff
Went with Pat with the assumption that it will naturally play out more like a diamond. It's certainly way closer than the score indicates. As for Park — it's a nice use of him, we lack brave tactical moves like those.

Šjor Bepo

Went with Pat with the assumption that it will naturally play out more like a diamond. It's certainly way closer than the score indicates. As for Park — it's a nice use of him, we lack brave tactical moves like those.
why would people do them when you know result even before the game starts? we could have easily put Suarez on the pitch, have a lesser team and get significantly more votes(in this case even 1 would do :lol: ) im 100% sure of it.

harms

Staff
why would people do them when you know result even before the game starts? we could have easily put Suarez on the pitch, have a lesser team and get significantly more votes(in this case even 1 would do :lol: ) im 100% sure of it.
Yeah, hence my self-deprecating post :)

harms

Staff
But then I'd probably took a play from GSTQ's post and swap him and Charlton — putting Charlton in his role from the 1966 World Cup, Breitner is perfect for that side role and Park can do more work on containing Platini as well as providing offensive balance (I doubt that he would be effective against any of Falcão/Edwards/Voronin).

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Agreed on Park - typical Bepo move going all in on the tactical approach even when he knows it'll likely cost him votes. Respect!

Magic Square was Michael's idea so I'm just the public face of the operation but I liked the look of it as soon as he suggested it, mostly as it's such an obvious environvent for Platini to thrive, and we had a great selection of wide forwards. As far as alternatives, I'd have loved to play Gullit as libero again alongside Nesta with Jairzinho as RWF but I thought that might be pushing the Gullit cheat code in this draft a bit far :D. We briefly considered Charles instead of Bossis at CB too as that would give us the option of switching formation mid-match as necessary to:

Schmeichel
Junior Voronin Nesta Facchetti
Falcao Edwards
Gullit Platini Stoichkov
Charles​

or if we'd started Bossis at RB and Charles at CB we could even have went with mid-game:

Schmeichel
Bossis Nesta Facchetti
Voronin Edwards
Falcao Platini
Gullit Charles Stoichkov
For Team Beam, knowing how much they both love De Bruyne I was sure they were going to play him, and with all those high workrate types they have my arse was twitching a bit at the thought of coming up against a Lobanovski 4-1-3-2:

Chilavert
Zanetti Rio McGrath Lizarazu
Nestor
De Bruyne Breitner Sir Bobby
Rummenigge Eto'o/Kempes​

Šjor Bepo

But then I'd probably took a play from GSTQ's post and swap him and Charlton — putting Charlton in his role from the 1966 World Cup, Breitner is perfect for that side role and Park can do more work on containing Platini as well as providing offensive balance (I doubt that he would be effective against any of Falcão/Edwards/Voronin).
Wouldnt mind Park as a side cm but we felt or at least i felt this was the better use as he would glue it all together and have an positive impact on both Breitner and Charlton.

As for Park on Platini, crap idea which would made me vote for Mustard. His impact against attacking players would be close to none.

harms

Staff
After Pat's post I'm be absolutely sold on a 4-1-3-2 with De Bruyne, Breitner & Sir Bobby though. Didn't realise that you've had that option.

Šjor Bepo

It wasnt an option because Park had to play! But yeah, looks pretty good even though im not the biggest fan of the formation.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Like that Lobanovsky formation, but tbh it never crossed our mind. Absolutely happy to live and die with Park here though. It is pretty much football future with him playing a "false false 9". We will come back in 2030, you will get the picture.

Congrats Patsy & Mike.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think Falcao fits in this role for. @Michaelf7777777 and @Pat_Mustard
In my opinion he was always mixed playmaker(box to box mix with deep lying),when he was a youngster,he viewed Beckenbauer as his model for the game.

He was an attacking b2b who could do a lot of defensive duties .He was very balance between attack and defense.
Michael midfielders are very good in term of workrates too.
Paolo,Duncan,Voronin or even Platini all of them had great workrates.
Don't underedtimate the workrates of Platini,In his Juve's he ran a lot and he ran smart too.

Jim Beam and Sjor
Your midfielders all of them have great workrates too,I think maybe you swap Bobby Charlton and Park and it's gonna be interesting.
It maybe look like this

Charlton

Brietner Ji Sung

Netto

Brietner and Jisung imo is similar to Brietner and Dremmler.Brietner do more offensive roles and sometimes track back and Dremler /Park was/is more defensive and dirties jobs.
Or maybe

Charlton

Ji Sung Brietner

Netto

This formation for Ji Sung can lock down Falcao like he did to Pirlo but that isn't the best role for Brietner(he like more left side).

@Jim Beam @Šjor Bepo

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

I came close to voting for Bepo/Beam because I found their team more balanced with a cleaner build (in fact voted for them but changed moments later) but Park in the hole made little sense to me. Sure, its brave and romantic, but he is way out of his league considering the players around him. Great to have someone with secondary traits like pressing and harassing, but he shroud first be a good No.10 IMO, which I don't think he was in the context of the draft. Also, the OP didn't convince me on his role

In the offensive phase, he will drop down pulling the opposition CB's on him and allowing Eto'o and Kalle to attack central areas.
I think that is a wild assumption.

If the opposition CB's don't follow him he will position himself in the hole between the attack and midfield providing another outlet for Charlton and Breitner who will use his presence to link up and attack from deeper areas while Park occupies opposition DM.
Again, its Voronin and Edwards, in the offensive phase, even half of them would suffice to handle him, probably even a quarter.

The move also ends up keeping Charlton away from goal which is not a great idea IMO.

Jim Beam

I think that is a wild assumption.
It's everything but wild assumption. If a lesser player then Park can do this in a real game, he will do it also. You can't simply ignore him and decide to not mark him because you will, well, lose the game and quite comfortably.

The move also ends up keeping Charlton away from goal which is not a great idea IMO
It is actually the opposite. You want Charlton running at you from LCM position (Iniesta one in Barcelona) and facing a goal rather then being squeezed between Voronin and Edwards. He is not Totti to do little flicks and turns for the majority of 90 minutes while being in the hole.

The issue is, however, that we obviously see overall team dynamics differently and while your focus is on what Park can't do or who he is against (which is pretty much irrelevant), the bigger picture is that he puts all other figures around him in the best possible environment while being that off the ball runner. Something that can't be fully said for the opposition. I didn't comment much on the game, but it is clear that diamond formation is best suited for Mustard placing Falcao in a more natural playmaking b2b role.

But hey ho, I would have probably voted for Mustard also based on other complimentary pieces (Voronin, Edwards, Platini, Gullit, Stoichkov...).
So, just call our move for it is, or providing extra balance to the team that is there on the paper. Something we are both obviously big fans of doing.

GodShaveTheQueen

It's everything but wild assumption. If a lesser player then Park can do this in a real game, he will do it also. You can't simply ignore him and decide to not mark him because you will, well, lose the game and quite comfortably.
He would run into an area marshalled by Voronin and Edwards. I can't see a scenario where a CB wouldn't trust them and decide to follow him

The issue is, however, that we obviously see overall team dynamics differently and while your focus is on what Park can't do or who he is against
Well, he is playing in the most important attacking position for the formation. Not unfair to first see what he can do in that primary role.

You want Charlton running at you from LCM position (Iniesta one in Barcelona) and facing a goal rather then being squeezed between Voronin and Edwards
I would call it shying away from the challenge. I feel he would give them a run for their money.

Maybe am sounding too critical, but I would have voted for you guys as soon as the thread was created with Park in midfield. He would still have a meaty role without being the centre of the attack, a role he hardly played. Definitely like that team a lot more than your opponents. The Zanetti-Breitner-Kalle axis in itself was worth the vote.

GodShaveTheQueen

For Pat, Gullit in Falcao's position and Jairzinho as the RWF would have been a slam dunk win (already is, but a more convincing one in my eyes)

Jim Beam

He would run into an area marshalled by Voronin and Edwards. I can't see a scenario where a CB wouldn't trust them and decide to follow him
Sure. But there is also an area between CB and DM when Park is pulling down while Eto'o and Kalle immediately attack from the wings pulling centrally if the ball is won in the initial phase of pressing. It might look meaningless to people, but that second or two of double thinking is all what it takes for a spliting pass through the center.

Wouldn't be the first time he made chaos to Nesta lead defence as well (throwback to CL semifinal 2004/05 and brilliant performance for PSV in a 3-1 win). He played in a number 10 role behind the striker in what was pretty much a diamond formation.

Well, he is playing in the most important attacking position for the formation. Not unfair to first see what he can do in that primary role.
And his off the ball movement, quick turns in tight spaces as well as tactical awareness was excellent. On top of adding immense amount of workrate to compliment our pressing game.

I would call it shying away from the challenge. I feel he would give them a run for their money.
Nothing to do with shying away. Just think he is much more dangerous in the attacking LCM role. Have zero doubts he would owned and thrived in that position in today's game and in a midfield three. In fact, historically I would rank him with Zidane and Iniesta as my top 3 for that position, but with him being number 1 in a more direct scheme.
He would give them a run for their money at AM as well, sure, but an even bigger array of problems coming from this position.
Charlton who is running at you or Charlton receiving a ball with his back to goal many times during the game? Yeah, not much to think there for me.

Maybe am sounding too critical, but I would have voted for you guys as soon as the thread was created with Park in midfield.
All fine. If anything, you perfectly killed my morning coffee routine with this.

Off to my other duties (derby day, nervous as feck already)

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Just to say I agree with Bepo/Beam that in this setup Charlton is best suited a bit deeper. You want him running from further deep than playing tricks and flicks at 10.