DP Draft - R1: Skizzo vs Michael

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

--------------------------------------SKIZZO--------------------------------------------------------------------------------MICHAEL---------------------------------------

SKIZZO TACTICS

Formation: 4222/433

In goal is Petr Cech. Cech holds a number of goalkeeping records, including the Premier League record for fewest appearances required to reach 100 clean sheets, having done so in 180 appearances, the most clean sheets in a season (24), as well as the record for the most clean sheets in Premier League history (202). Cech is also the only goalkeeper to have won the Premier League Golden Glove with two separate clubs, and has won it a joint record four times. He was voted the IFFHS' World's Best Goalkeeper in 2005, received the award of Best Goalkeeper in three editions of the UEFA Champions League, and went 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal in the 2004–05 season, a league record. He has the third-most clean sheets since 2000 among all goalkeepers.

Claudio Gentile plays his defensive right back role, looking to tuck in when needed. Alan Hansen and Laurent Blanc form a central duo with both of them being classy on the ball, giving us an outball from the defensive line. Roberto Carlos plays his marauding left back role and will look to bomb down the flank.

Ruud Krol plays somewhat of a hybrid position, but who better than someone as flexible as the Dutchman? He'll look to build from deep in midfield when we're in possession, support the attack, but also when out of possession he'll drop into the defensive line.

Diego Simeone and Carlos Valderrama are the other two midfielders in the middle of the park. Simeone playing a defensive box to box role, and Valderrama looking to move us forward quickly with his penetrating passes in behind with the movement up top.

Michael Laudrup will float in the inside right position, drifting wide to open some space, or to centrally as the forwards pull into space.

Cristiano Ronaldo will be the key man, looking to drift in from a wide left position and be a menace. George Weah will lead the line and look to pull defenders out of position for Ronaldo, as well as get on the end of through balls from deep.

With multiple playmakers, and deadly finishers up top, I fancy our chances of being able to outscore the opposition. With Ronaldo, Krol, etc, I also fancy our chances of nicking a goal or two from set pieces into the box.

Valderrama's playmaking and quick forward passing

Cristiano being Cristiano

MICHAEL TACTICS

My team will play a 4-2-4 with a double false 9 of Di Stefano and Platini with Rensenbrink cutting in from the left wing and Joya on the right alternating between providing width and cutting inside. This setup has similarities to La Maquina which Di Stefano started his career with at River Plate and the French national team that Platini played in during the 1980's.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Novel tactics from both teams.

Skizzo should ideally switch Laudrup and Cristiano. Laudrup can get his familiar Inside Left and Cristiano has a much better matchup vs Greig rather than Vogts who's well placed to tackle him.

La Maquina is a WM. It still had a CF to focus the attack. Technically they could make it work, but have doubts whether this gets the best of either Di Stefano or Platini.

Skizzo

Novel tactics from both teams.

Skizzo should ideally switch Laudrup and Cristiano. Laudrup can get his familiar Inside Left and Cristiano has a much better matchup vs Greig rather than Vogts who's well placed to tackle him.

La Maquina is a WM. It still had a CF to focus the attack. Technically they could make it work, but have doubts whether this gets the best of either Di Stefano or Platini.
In regards to Cristiano and Laudrup, they will switch at times. Ronaldo especially likes probing around the front line. It’s a fair point though in terms of graphics and setting up, but Ronaldo has never been one to stick to one wing the entire game, and I feel Laudrup would enjoy drifting in between the lines with the movement ahead of him.

i see Laudrup drifting infield a lot and poking through balls to Weah and Ronaldo making their runs.

He does like to hug the ball out wide left a lot, but with Carlos down that flank, I think he’d enjoy operating in those inside channels with his vision to find the runs being made.

Skizzo

@Skizzo what version of Ronaldo is this? Give us peak years
For this match we’d want his mid-Madrid years form (starting like 2013). Playing off a mobile physical striker when he was at his most ridiculous with putting up goalscoring numbers. The playmaking would primarily be handled elsewhere so we’d look for his single-mindedness goalscoring feats, but still with the odd moment of magic feet in him.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'm generally relatively flexible with GOAT combinations but I'm struggling to envisage how this Platini/Di Stefano one operates. Maybe the young Di Stefano as a purer CF, but then that hasn't been specified and we have very little to gauge how he interpreted that role anyway.

On Skizzo's team, great to see Valderrama getting an all too rare run out in drafts, and Cristiano should thrive with that creative support behind him and Weah being a general nuisance leading the line. I tend to agree with Edgar though that the right wing is looking a bit narrow and Cristiano might have been better used there. More speculatively, Krol could have played at RB and Gentile possibly could have done a job patrolling that area in front of the defence where Platini and Di Stefano will prowl.

Skizzo

I'm generally relatively flexible with GOAT combinations but I'm struggling to envisage how this Platini/Di Stefano one operates. Maybe the young Di Stefano as a purer CF, but then that hasn't been specified and we have very little to gauge how he interpreted that role anyway.

On Skizzo's team, great to see Valderrama getting an all too rare run out in drafts, and Cristiano should thrive with that creative support behind him and Weah being a general nuisance leading the line. I tend to agree with Edgar though that the right wing is looking a bit narrow and Cristiano might have been better used there. More speculatively, Krol could have played at RB and Gentile possibly could have done a job patrolling that area in front of the defence where Platini and Di Stefano will prowl.
I did go back and forth on younger Ronaldo playing as his United incarnation, but ultimately decided it would leave us just a little light on goal threat with just Weah. The balance would have been nice formation wise, but I felt this was more what was needed here ideally.

Defensively I had to shuffle everything because my original formation idea was bamboozled. I preferred Krol there because I liked the idea of him being able to drop in and out of the defensive line, and really I’ve wanted to try him a bit farther up the pitch and thought his ability would line up well against the roaming Platini.

Understand the thoughts though! :D

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Michael didn’t clarify this but seeing Charles at CB actually made the whole set up work in my mind. It’s very imaginative but with Charles doing his regular role-switching & occupying the number 9 spot (with Pirri being well-positioned to cover for him)… it’s not that dissimilar to how Juve’s attack had functioned.

Di Stéfano should be further forward than Platini though. Di Stéfano drops back, Platini makes his runs forward, not the other way!

Not a big fan of Weah as a partner for Cristiano personally. The whole Skizzo’s set up is not very easy on the eye. But then if we assume that Charles will do what I expect him to do to make this thing work, there’s hardly anyone better than Cristiano (with creativity of Laudrup and Valderrama in behind) to exploit that fluid defensive line…

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't know if Di Stefano's ego would allow another similar player with almost equal quality to work with him. But if this could work, this might be unstoppable. Agreed with Michael's that Platini is more likely stay up than Di.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Love the fact both teams have gone for something different, if that's due to the injuries then kudos @GodShaveTheQueen for adjusting the amount from usual as it seems people are having to think outside the box.

I'd love to hear some more from Michael about the set up with it being so niche, but know that's unlikely :lol:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think this platform is the right way to make Cristiano shine brightest,since Cristiano in his prime until today haven't worked well with another dominant scorer9(ex.Higuain).Cristiano in his primes(2013-2017) had performed many many matches as fake lw and then he moved from lw position to the box to find chances to score.So he may have a lot of chances in this match to duel with top manmarker like Vogts and I'm sure that Vogts can make him in trouble or make him furious a lot of times but I doubt that CR7 can score in this game and platform too since he has a great services from Laudrup and Weah will drag Nesta and Charles a bit out of position and that make Cristiano in favour since he is the master of finding spaces to scores from lw positions.Another thing is Weah wasn't prolific/dominant scorer in his playing days,he liked to dribbled and opened spaces more.Vogts can shut down him yes but 1 chance from Cristiano can decide the game.

Mesut and Ronaldo combo
I can't imagince Laudrup and Ronaldo:).

finding the spaces from Ronaldo

Laudrup passing skills

Michael team looks so great but I'm a bit concern in Di Stefano and Platini since both of them had similar habbits during playing days always want to be alpha,drop deep to get the ball,control tempo of the game and some enormous ego too but If they cooperate well,it will be one of the best duo ever.Maybe Platini drop back,Di Stefano runs forward or Di Stefano drops back and Platini runs forward.Another thing is both of them were ball dominant playmakers in Juve's and Real too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
:confused: This is a headfeck of a game. Conflicted on two issues - Michael's double false 9 and Skizzo's triple sweeper defensive core. Both may just cancel each other out: intelligent readers of the game tracking the movement of the forwards. And Skizzo's full-backs are stylistically similar to Michael's wide men. For Michael's defence, you'd think the combination of Vogts on the ground and Charles in the air would largely negate Cristiano's threats, but it would largely depend to what extent Charles is freed up to provide that support.

I like Pat's suggestion about Krol on the right and introducing a more natural man-marker into the centre in Gentile.

Reckon Greig could have a great game driving forward here. But still trying to get my head around the Di Stefano and Platini partnership. As Harms says, young Di Stefano could fit well potentially, but it's such an unknown it's hard to be confident about it.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Went with Skizzo initially but changed to Mike now.

I was not sure about Di Stefano and Platini together and that led me to my earlier vote, but its not a certainty that it wont work. When you look at the rest of the team though, its absolute class and a notch above Skizzo's IMO.

Skizzo's team is pretty good too but that right side is handicapped. United Cristiano probably makes more sense here.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This is a headfeck of a game. Conflicted on two issues - Michael's double false 9 and Skizzo's triple sweeper defensive core
:lol:

yeah, it is a proper mindfeck. Caught myself staring at it and scratching my head.

United Ronaldo version on the right, Laudrup on the LW and Valderrama in the hole would be much easier on the eye imo, especially as there is Weah also in the mix upfront.
As for Michael, same as everyone, having difficulties to envision Platini - Di Stefano combo. The rest of it is quite good though.

On a sidenote, Krol is such a good pick for this draft.

Himannv

Was just reading up on La Maquina. It seems to feature 5 forwards all rotating and switching positions. This is not exactly the same thing but I guess there are some similarities.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Recall there was a time when Charles at CB was a no go.
And before that someone won one of the all-time drafts (was it the decades one?) with him as a centre back :)

I can't say that I'm completely sold on him there but then Greig - Nesta - Vogts transforms into a very good-looking back three as well as Pirri being able to drop deeper...

@Michaelf7777777 's silent tactics are really paying off :lol:

Skizzo

Seeing as the right side seems to be a bit of a sore subject, we’ll look to do a quick shuffle for the end of the game and bring a more natural marker into the front of the back two, break up the triple sweeper combo and unleash Krol down the right for some width down there as Laudrup floats into the inside channel.

@GodShaveTheQueen if you can update the OP with that as well please?

Was just reading up on La Maquina. It seems to feature 5 forwards all rotating and switching positions. This is not exactly the same thing but I guess there are some similarities.
it was a fluid 5, but they worked primarily as having a forward presence that took advantage of the space created (usually Labruna I believe). Here I think you’re gonna have two players in Di Stefano and Platini who are going to want to be ball-dominant players operating in the same areas, as well as lacking a central focal point up top.

Skizzo

:lol:

yeah, it is a proper mindfeck. Caught myself staring at it and scratching my head.

United Ronaldo version on the right, Laudrup on the LW and Valderrama in the hole would be much easier on the eye imo, especially as there is Weah also in the mix upfront.
As for Michael, same as everyone, having difficulties to envision Platini - Di Stefano combo. The rest of it is quite good though.

On a sidenote, Krol is such a good pick for this draft.
get what you and @Gio are saying :lol: this definitely wasn’t I was originally thinking of, and I wasn’t Sure at all how M7 would lineup with Di Stefano and Platini.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Decided to go with Skizzo even before the change.

Going for Mike would be giving him a massive benefit of doubt, while for Skizzo I can see it work to some extent, but just don't like the set up (the change is an improvement in that regard though).

Not speaking doesn't help in this case.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
prefer(big questionmarks around Platini Don partnership) michael but voted for skizzo. No word moby really started to annoy me, its okay to keep it minimal but least you can do is answer questions about your team.

Skizzo

prefer(big questionmarks around Platini Don partnership) michael but voted for skizzo. No word moby really started to annoy me, its okay to keep it minimal but least you can do is answer questions about your team.
Ive had some matches where I’ve been inactive for various reasons so I know it happens, but the frustration of potentially losing when the other manager hasn’t explained how his possible controversial formation and tactics would function is quite something :lol::mad: especially when I actually quite like his team and would like to know myself.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Ive had some matches where I’ve been inactive for various reasons so I know it happens, but the frustration of potentially losing when the other manager hasn’t explained how his possible controversial formation and tactics would function is quite something :lol::mad: especially when I actually quite like his team and would like to know myself.
Funniest thing is that he actually picks a date when to play(its often among last games) but then he puts a OP of 2 lines and does feck all in the thread :lol: big thanks to beam for noticing that :D
I love robot to bits but no chance in hell he is getting my vote.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I did go back and forth on younger Ronaldo playing as his United incarnation, but ultimately decided it would leave us just a little light on goal threat with just Weah. The balance would have been nice formation wise, but I felt this was more what was needed here ideally.

Defensively I had to shuffle everything because my original formation idea was bamboozled. I preferred Krol there because I liked the idea of him being able to drop in and out of the defensive line, and really I’ve wanted to try him a bit farther up the pitch and thought his ability would line up well against the roaming Platini.

Understand the thoughts though! :D
You're talking to a man that played Gullit as libero rather than Beckenbauer so I appreciate the idea :). I'm sure I've read that he has played in midfield before and he's such a gifted all-rounder I think he could pull it off. I did like the change though and it put paid to any prospect of me changing my vote (not that it mattered ultimately), just becauseof Krol providing more width on your right wing. He had good delivery even from the left, so I'd assume that he could whip in some dangerous crosses to Ronaldo/Weah from the RB role. Could have been match-deciding if Ronaldo isolated Vogts in an aerial duel if Charles was occasionally venturing upfield as Harms hypothesised, but alas we'll never know if that was the plan due to Michael's silent domination approach :lol:

Skizzo

You're talking to a man that played Gullit as libero rather than Beckenbauer so I appreciate the idea :). I'm sure I've read that he has played in midfield before and he's such a gifted all-rounder I think he could pull it off. I did like the change though and it put paid to any prospect of me changing my vote (not that it mattered ultimately), just becauseof Krol providing more width on your right wing. He had good delivery even from the left, so I'd assume that he could whip in some dangerous crosses to Ronaldo/Weah from the RB role. Could have been match-deciding if Ronaldo isolated Vogts in an aerial duel if Charles was occasionally venturing upfield as Harms hypothesised, but alas we'll never know if that was the plan due to Michael's silent domination approach :lol:
maybe next draft we can implement the vote in every match and comment in your own match rule.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I did go back and forth on younger Ronaldo playing as his United incarnation, but ultimately decided it would leave us just a little light on goal threat
Facing Vogts isn't any better in terms of potential goal opportunities for Ronaldo, tbh!

Defensive fullbacks capable of tucking in line Vogts, Djalna, Bergomi etc are best capable of countering CR7 imo.

Skizzo

Facing Vogts isn't any better in terms of potential goal opportunities for Ronaldo, tbh!

Defensive fullbacks capable of tucking in line Vogts, Djalna, Bergomi etc are best capable of countering CR7 imo.
In terms of the setup, I’d rather Ronaldo cutting in from his favoured position with Vogts having to tuck and attack the space Charles may leave…than being wider right and having to face Nesta inside. Obviously neither are “ideal” but I’d rather put him in his favourite spot and let him figure out the problem.

and at the very least I explained my reasoning *cough* Michael *cough*