Draft About Nothing - Final before the FInal: Michaelf/GSTQ vs Enigma

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
For me a huge gap would be putting him a few tiers below Zoff.
Is he on tier below Zoff? How do you define tiers?

Let's say Zoff is in Top 10 GOATs of all time so in tier 1. Extend that to Top 20-25 and I'm sure Pereira doesn't fall there. Maybe the tier after that. Top 25-50 of all time and maybe you have an argument. Maybe.

I've seen some old lists which place him at around mid 30s in all time. Now all these are biased by whoever made them and doesn't include modern greats.

He's definitely at least 2 tiers below Zoff however we cut it.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Extend that to Top 20-25 and I'm sure Pereira doesn't fall there
I have nothing different to tell you from what I told the rest, Edgar.

Unless there is someone who has actually watched games looking at him, I don't know how to take the assumptions. Probably sounds ridiculous like it does to most others, which is fine.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I have nothing different to tell you from what I told the rest, Edgar.

Unless there is someone who has actually watched games looking at him, I don't know how to take the assumptions. Probably sounds ridiculous like it does to most others, which is fine.
Reported

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyone else with some views on the game? Very low vote turn out so far.

Himannv

I find it's really hard to judge keepers who played ages back mainly because it's hard to judge the quality of keepers based on a single game. You could look at any keeper around in the EPL even, they'll all have the odd day where they have an incredible game and keep a clean sheet against a top team, but in an all-time context these keepers hardly rank anywhere. So to really judge a keeper, you'd have to watch loads of games they play or judge them based on what other sources say.

In the context of this game, it's fair to say Zoff is a better keeper than Pereira but GSTQ is completely right when he says it's hard to say by how much Zoff is better if you haven't seen much of Pereira.

GodShaveTheQueen

Mind explaining your vote @harms ?

You really think Candela with support from Mertesaker and Davids on left should be able to contain Figo/Zanetti/Matthaus/Gullit?

And Gento/Breitner can be contained without an actual RB or a RCB who can cover out wide?

Of course, if its just due to Zanetti, never mind.

GodShaveTheQueen

I find it's really hard to judge keepers who played ages back mainly because it's hard to judge the quality of keepers based on a single game. You could look at any keeper around in the EPL even, they'll all have the odd day where they have an incredible game and keep a clean sheet against a top team, but in an all-time context these keepers hardly rank anywhere. So to really judge a keeper, you'd have to watch loads of games they play or judge them based on what other sources say.

In the context of this game, it's fair to say Zoff is a better keeper than Pereira but GSTQ is completely right when he says it's hard to say by how much Zoff is better if you haven't seen much of Pereira.
Wow, 1 person agrees. I'll buy myself a celebratory beer irrespective of the result :D

Enigma_87

You know who

Whilst this is of course true, I think it's also fair to say that considering Zoff's reputation, feats(individual as well) and all credible sources putting him around top 10 of all time Pereira is couple of tiers below him in terms of all time ranking. Sure, as you say even the likes of Brad Friedel can have the occasional blinder, but if we are to average his performance over the course of his career and probably decide a peak of each one of them in order to compare them, surely it has to be taken into account that an all time great like Zoff should be ranked at least couple of tiers higher, irrespective of whether or not we have followed Pereira's career thoroughly to make a decision.

It is what it is. Some of the players that played in the 30's are ranked lower historically(in drafts or not) because there isn't enough footage and it's always a risk you take because the omen is on you to provide proof that those players are comparable to their modern counterparts.

Take Barca's and Real's keepers at the time Antoni Ramallets and Juan Adelarpe Alonso - they have great trophy cabinets, yet you would rarely find someone raving about them or putting them anywhere near the best keepers of the century. It's not that much of an era issue as well, considering how high are keepers like Yashin and Beara from that time rated, along with Gilmar, Grosics and others that transcendent their decade and era.

You have to draw a line somewhere and objectively rank the keepers when you compare them and if you can't pinpoint the exact difference due to insufficient knowledge/video evidence, all time greats and top 10 of their position should surely hold some weight and have advantage in such comparisons.

Enigma_87

You know who
In the final hours some highlights from our biggest weapon:

and Laudrup compilation who doesn't get much attention around here:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Mind explaining your vote @harms ?
Sure. It was based on a thought that if two of your teams with all players being at their respective peaks played against each other, his team would probably win more games out of ten than yours.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In all seriousness it was very close and with Riva being available, and Gullit playing in a free role, it would've only ended one way. Somehow, the scenario of Enigma taking lots of punches throughout the game before Laudrup slips away from Bremner to provide an assist to Romario looks more realistic to me. Zoff being significantly better than your chap seriously influenced this decision as well. I've seen quite a few Benfica games with him featuring and he never stood out for me. That's, personally, enough evidence to rate him significantly lower than one of the top 5-6 keepers of all-time.

Jim Beam

Sure. It was based on a thought that if two of your teams with all players being at their respective peaks played against each other, his team would probably win more games out of ten than yours.
Coming from Shining Star of Paektu Mountain too.

Worst El Scrappico in years.

Jim Beam

In all seriousness it was very close and with Riva being available, and Gullit playing in a free role, it would've only ended one way. Somehow, the scenario of Enigma taking lots of punches throughout the game before Laudrup slips away from Bremner to provide an assist to Romario looks more realistic to me. Zoff being significantly better than your chap seriously influenced this decision as well. I've seen quite a few Benfica games with him featuring and he never stood out for me. That's, personally, enough evidence to rate him significantly lower one of the top 5-6 keepers of all-time and you attacking Synco and not apologizing sealed it for me
Agree

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Anyone else with some views on the game? Very low vote turn out so far.
Ignoring the unpleasant stuff, I went for a draw in the end.

If Michael/GSTQ had Riva I'd have voted for them, and probably the same if they had inverted wingers or a forward-like #10 to partner Gullit up front. (That player was supposed to be Gullit himself, obviously.) But their team is really strong in any case, and while the Riva incident makes offensive cohesion problematic, I see enough arguments that they can trouble your defense, especially on the wings.

Your great attacking unit can certainly do damage, and you have the perfect player to make Gullit's task a good deal harder, perhaps even shut him down.

So I can simply see it going either way, as so often in all time drafts. What contributed is that I'm rarely too convinced by 3-4-3/3-5-2 formations against modern systems, except for the super-defensive sorts.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I saw it as a draw. I just didn't see Gullit scoring enough with two trad style wingers. On the other hand GSTQ's CBs and Bremner would have done well to keep Romlazard out.

Enigma_87

You know who
always liked you @Moby :D

Ignoring the unpleasant stuff, I went for a draw in the end.

If Michael/GSTQ had Riva I'd have voted for them, and probably the same if they had inverted wingers or a forward-like #10 to partner Gullit up front. (That player was supposed to be Gullit himself, obviously.) But their team is really strong in any case, and while the Riva incident makes offensive cohesion problematic, I see enough arguments that they can trouble your defense, especially on the wings.

Your great attacking unit can certainly do damage, and you have the perfect player to make Gullit's task a good deal harder, perhaps even shut him down.

So I can simply see it going either way, as so often in all time drafts. What contributed is that I'm rarely too convinced by 3-4-3/3-5-2 formations against modern systems, except for the super-defensive sorts.
yeah, fair do's mate. Thank you for your input. :)