Draft About Nothing - Final before the FInal: Michaelf/GSTQ vs Enigma

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Btw. if there are issues with Gullit and GS/Michael Corleone wingers who would compliment Riva better, there is a case to be made on the different side that enigma's flanks would also suit better to the different type of striker than Romario (although, Laudrup behind Romario with Davids/Tardelli looks lovely).

And if he did lose some on his wings, you could also argue that Lothar and Coluna would benefit more from such a partner upfront on first glance.

In two minds here, @GodShaveTheQueen a bit more on Gullit as a forward in PSV. From my memory he never acted as a lone striker, but played off someone (Riva for example would be perfect if you are playing draft games :wenger:)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I haven't watched him enough to put him in any bracket and I am not one to make safe opinions based on assumptions about players I haven't watched. For me a huge gap would be putting him a few tiers below Zoff. His achievements both in his teams and as an individual seem to suggest that is not the case.
Going by general consensus, Zoff is a top 5-ish player in goalkeeping history. It would simply take some convincing for me that having him over Pereira isn't a "huge plus" (my wording). Imo, you'd need to come up with a little more specific material than team success and a World Soccer XI if you really want to argue that.
His achievements both in his teams and as an individual seem to suggest that is not the case.
1. What individual achievements do you mean? One thing I could find is him ranking joint 34th in the IFFHS' Goalkeeper of the Century elections (so minus the South American keepers), which imo would reinforce the prejudice of a keeper a few tiers below Zoff.

2. What achievements with Portugal ("...his teams") do you mean? If Wikipedia's accurate, his NT career looks unspectacular to me:

National team
1955–1965
Portugal 22 (0)

International career
Costa Pereira played 22 times for Portugal. His debut came on 22 May 1955, against England in Porto (3–1 win).

Costa Pereira started the successful qualifying campaign to the 1966 FIFA World Cup, featuring in a 5–1 routing of Turkey in Lisbon on 24 January 1965. He was, however, overlooked for the finals by manager Otto Glória – his former boss at Benfica – due to poor form, as the national team went on to finish in third place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Pereira

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
In two minds here, @GodShaveTheQueen a bit more on Gullit as a forward in PSV. From my memory he never acted as a lone striker, but played off someone (Riva for example would be perfect if you are playing draft games :wenger:)
Yea, he hardly played as the lone striker because his game had so much more to it. Here, he has to play a limited role.

Him not playing as a lone striker was not due to his limitations. It was because he could contribute in so many more facets.

We don't need him to do that here as we are rich enough in areas of creativity and energy.

Enigma_87

You know who
Looks like you're on ignore.
Nah, for some strange reason he’s too obsessed. Would’ve been good news otherwise.
Btw. if there are issues with Gullit and GS/Michael Corleone wingers who would compliment Riva better, there is a case to be made on the different side that enigma's flanks would also suit better to the different type of striker than Romario (although, Laudrup behind Romario with Davids/Tardelli looks lovely).

And if he did lose some on his wings, you could also argue that Lothar and Coluna would benefit more from such a partner upfront on first glance.

tbh as soon as I held onto Romario and Laudrup was still available I decided to build around that and saturate the midfield with a very strong core so it would give a proper stage for them to shine and only have the responsibility to run the attack.

I’d rather replace the flanks tbh than sub any of Laudrup/Romario :)

GodShaveTheQueen

You're aware you're arguing on the exact same basis as me?
Not really. I am not deciding his tier in comparison with anyone because I haven't seen him enough. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to his haul at Benfica.

I am certainly not labelling him a Goat because Michael and his dog also didn't watch him and by general consensus, the 3 of us decided that he was a Goat.

General consensus is that you're one charming fellow.

Gullit?
Oh I doubt that. Try rude, you'll have many votes :lol:

Jim Beam

tbh as soon as I held onto Romario and Laudrup was still available I decided to build around that and saturate the midfield with a very strong core so it would give a proper stage for them to shine and only have the responsibility to run the attack.

I’d rather replace the flanks tbh than sub any of Laudrup/Romario
That's fair, but you're betting on going through Coluna, Lothar, Bremner midfield too. Your flanks should be a pretty important part of the attack in this system imo.

Nah, for some strange reason he’s too obsessed. Would’ve been good news otherwise.
You should go together next time, but I will leave that to you.

GodShaveTheQueen

I don't know what to tell you mate. It's been a pretty shite debate this with two people who haven't watched a player enough going at it and I think now is as good a time to end it. I will try to watch a few big games of his if we do win this round and provide you a better report in the next game. Cheers.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's fair, but you're betting on going through Coluna, Lothar, Bremner midfield too. Your flanks should be a pretty important part of the attack in this system imo.

You should go together next time, but I will leave that to you.
Well Hazard/Candela on the left side and Conti on the right are well equipped to stretch the flank and provide some space in the middle. Bremner in particular will have a lot to do in a holding role which is not best suited to his game. Also Coluna and Matthaus will naturally provide some cover on the flanks.

Generally I like the chances Laudrup and Romario will have through the middle. There will be pockets of space and Romario is the type of forward that can give both of the opposition CB pair a torrid time.

Probably MvB would suit Conti better so you have a point there but still Conti is a vital role in this setup with his ability to provide in both phases but also is a creative force going forward without being too individualistic.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I don't know what to tell you mate. It's been a pretty shite debate this with two people who haven't watched a player enough going at it and I think now is as good a time to end it. I will try to watch a few big games of his if we do win this round and provide you a better report in the next game. Cheers.
Wouldn't have been half as shite if you tried to debate honestly.

Anyways, going for some in-game impressions is a splendid idea.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Or if you had actually tried watching him instead of speaking out of your arse :)
I was taking the general consensus as a guideline to judge two players in the absence of more specific knowledge.

You were challenging that consensus on the exact same basis (= deducting from second-hand sources).

I asked you about some arguments you gave for your challenge of that consensus (post #43, second half). You dodged those questions and started to resort to personal attacks.

Jim Beam

Well Hazard/Candela on the left side and Conti on the right are well equipped to stretch the flank and provide some space in the middle. Bremner in particular will have a lot to do in a holding role which is not best suited to his game. Also Coluna and Matthaus will naturally provide some cover on the flanks.

Generally I like the chances Laudrup and Romario will have through the middle. There will be pockets of space and Romario is the type of forward that can give both of the opposition CB pair a torrid time.

Probably MvB would suit Conti better so you have a point there but still Conti is a vital role in this setup with his ability to provide in both phases but also is a creative force going forward without being too individualistic.
Just wanted to point out that flanks are not the best equipped in your case too. Romario would gel better with an off ball runner who stretches the opposition than someone like Hazard for example who is best playing off the occupying striker.

I like both teams btw. Tough call.

10 million?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Or if you had actually tried watching him instead of speaking out of your arse :)
Come on mate you have to sell him more, if you think he's as good as Zoff you have to explain why.

GodShaveTheQueen

10 million?
I'd be a pretty shite debater if I had to offer 10 mn to win a vote with a right axis of Zanetti/Matthaus/Figo/Gullit against Candela/Mertesacker/Davids. Or with a left axis of Breitner/Coluna/Gento against a team without a RB or wide defending RCB.

No thanks, we'll keep our 10 mn.

Enigma_87

You know who
Just wanted to point out that flanks are not the best equipped in your case too. Romario would gel better with an off ball runner who stretches the opposition than someone like Hazard for example who is best playing off the occupying striker.

10 million?
Tbf Romario played with lots of partners in his career and worked well with any of them.

Hazard/Laudrup would interchange and are on the same wavelength keeping the ball moving and on the ground and both are excellent carving the opposition defence.

Check your bank account :wenger:

Jim Beam

I'd be a pretty shite debater if I had to offer 10 mn to win a vote with a right axis of Zanetti/Matthaus/Figo/Gullit against Candela/Mertesacker/Davids. Or with a left axis of Breitner/Coluna/Gento against a team without a RB or wide defending RCB.

No thanks, we'll keep our 10 mn.
You're pretty shit debater anyway.

Going with Michael. There are some valid arguments against, and there are some to stop this juggernaut in this round imo. Good night, God bless.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
i dont get the zoff and who? debate....i mean when you compare Corbatta with Maradona do you call out people that think Maradona is better because they didnt watch the drunken fool that is Omar newspaper Corbatta?

Jim Beam

i dont get the zoff and who? debate....i mean when you compare Corbatta with Maradona do you call out people that think Maradona is better because they didnt watch the drunken fool that is Omar newspaper Corbatta?
You convinced me in our first draft that he is perfect for us.

Šjor Bepo

Except, no one called out on the claim that "Zoff was the better keeper". Where did you read that? :nono:
you know what i mean, the gap is pretty damn big and you dont have to watch both keepers to say that. If anything keepers are easiest to asses, specially the older ones so if there is a position where we should able to trust others that probably watched them its with that position.

GodShaveTheQueen

you know what i mean, the gap is pretty damn big and you dont have to watch both keepers to say that. If anything keepers are easiest to asses, specially the older ones so if there is a position where we should able to trust others that probably watched them its with that position.
I will have to disagree there mate.

Another classic example of a lack of knowledge or general consensus is Germano from that Benfica team. Ask most here and they would point a huge gap between him and an above average popular CB. But he was considered amongst the very best of that era. Michael infact wanted to pick him but I resisted because I knew the fate he would meet.

Let's also not act like we are talking about just another random keeper that I am trying to defend needlessly. He is pretty well decorated.

Šjor Bepo

I will have to disagree there mate.

Another classic example of a lack of knowledge or general consensus is Germano from that Benfica team. Ask most here and they would point a huge gap between him and an above average popular CB. But he was considered amongst the very best of that era. Michael infact wanted to pick him but I resisted because I knew the fate he would meet.

Let's also not act like we are talking about just another random keeper that I am trying to defend needlessly. He is pretty well decorated.
with players i dont have an issue and id agree with you, keepers not so much.

GodShaveTheQueen

with players i dont have an issue and id agree with you, keepers not so much.
Fair enough, like I told Synco, if we do proceed, I'll watch a bit more as most likeky I am out of my depth here with most disagreeing on the GK front.