Draft About Nothing - R1: Skizzo vs Big Dunk

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Skizzo
Formation: 4231, 4411 in long defensive phases.

With Sharpe, Muller and Eto’o, I have a front three who will bust their asses from the front to pressure the defense in possession and win the ball back high up the pitch.

Souness will marshal the midfield area and look to stamp his authority on the game, helping the young German Kramer. Kramer is still writing his career story, but has already been called up to the national team and has a World Cup winners medal, and while on loan at Bochum, was involved in the most tackles of any player in the league. He’ll have a limited role here in terms of winning back the ball and getting it to his talented supporting cast. Surrounded by serial winners and leaders, he can perform his limited role against the opposition here.

The back line matches up well in terms of skill sets, with the center backs being good physically and in the air, and Reaney enjoyed many a successful performance against George Best, so would have the skills to perform admirable against Dzajic. Maier in goal rounds out the defense.

In attack we have enough pace and movement to trouble many a defense, and multiple sources of goals. Zidane will be our key piece and I don’t see anyone in the opposition to slow him down or stop him running the game how he sees fit. Our front three all have the ability to find the net and id back them to cause trouble for that defense who I believe we match with in our favour.

Big Dunk certainly has a good front three and wings, but I feel we can wrestle control of this game away and take a narrow win.

Big Dunk
Enrico ALBERTOSI, one of Italy’s greatest ever goalkeepers stands between the sticks. My central defensive partnership comprises of Fernando HIERRO and Giuseppe BERGOMI. The classic ball-playing - stopper centreback partnership. Two fearsome defenders whose positional sense, dominating presence, marking ability and quality on the ball make them a complete duo. Bergomi, one of the greatest man markers of all time will be given the toughest marking assignment. The complete fullback Manuel AMOROS is my left back, while the solid defensive rightback Gerard JANVION plays on the other flank. It’s a back four of serious defensive quality.

Infront of them is one of the greatest deep lying playmakers of all time, Josef BOZSIK. The metronome from the centre, controlling the game and connecting play. Tactically, technically and positionally a true master and great of the game. His partner is Fernando DE NAPOLI, a complete and combative midfield foil, adding tenacity, box-to-box workrate, covering and marking skills and further accurate passing range.

Hierro, Bozsik and De Napoli will feed Dzajic, Johnstone and Cubillas. We boast legendary fluid attacking wing play on the flanks too with Dragan DZAJIC, one of the greatest crosses of the ball in football history, and dribbling wizard Jimmy JOHNSTONE on the right wing. Dzajic-Amoros and Johnstone-Janvion are wonderful partnerships on the flanks. My #10 and #9 are two technically blessed prolific goalscorers: Teófilo CUBILLAS and Marco VAN BASTEN. Our attack has a bit of everything: pace, power, technique, dribbling penetration, creativity and magical big game players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1.68m tall Chumpitaz and 1.77m tall Weber against 1.88m tall van Basten with the wide support of Dzajic and Johnstone? It's hard to see past this wide open route towards Skizzo's goal.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
1.68m tall Chumpitaz and 1.77m tall Weber against 1.88m tall van Basten with the wide support of Dzajic and Johnstone? It's hard to see past this wide open route towards Skizzo's goal.
On Jinky, the more I have seen his game, the more I thought his game was hardly ever about putting crosses for headers. I am sure there are clips as exception, but in general, I don't associate him to be someone who would be great at exploiting the height difference here. Dzajic and Van Basten of course, can and probably will.

harms

Staff
Interesting. I’d say that he was more of a dribbler/playmaker, but he was pretty good at crossing. Lennox was more of an inside-forward, so most of the crosses came from their right side.

Anyway, Van Basten is going to do some damage there, one way or another.

harms

Staff
I absolutely love Zidane-Eto'O-Müller axis (and Sharpe is looking nice there as well if we think of his younger days), but @BIG DUNK had built a straightforward but nearly unstoppable team and the height of Skizzo's defenders against BD's GOAT-ish attack is a weakness that I can't overlook.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m kind of agreeing that mvb is going to score and will be dangerous with height advantage.
But I immediately took a liking to skizzos attack too.

will wait For some more info before voting

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@BIG DUNK Can you explain Cubillas' role here a little more please? Not sure I understand why is in that position and what is doing in the tactic?

@Skizzo who the hell is KrameR?

BIG DUNK

Tank
@BIG DUNK

Can you explain Cubillas' role here a little more please? Not sure I understand why is in that position and what is doing in the tactic?
Cubillas is my special #10:

Do not let his insane goalscoring record confuse you - Cubillas was sensational playing behind a striker, and operating ahead of a playmaking central midfielder-defensive midfielder.

Sublime in a 433, 4231, 424, 4222, 4321.

Qualities: amazing technique and ball skill for his era. His movement off the ball is genius: running from mid-range to edge of the box/inside box, positioning and reactions are truly legendary. Refined touch, able to control the ball at different angles/pace and link up with Van Basten, his midfield and wingers. One on one against his marker or against a goalkeeper he was deadly, accurate and composed.

Penetration through:
- one touch playmaking skills
- exquisite dribbling
- chipped through balls
- running into spaces and between lines.

Lowered defensive contribution/workrate for this game. Heightened partnership with complete forward Van Basten encouraged. Cubillas-Muller were unstoppable, and this pairing has even more passing quality around them and favourable CB/DM opponents like Kramer. Dzajic will supply low driven crosses, whipped front post assists and higher curved long passes, Johnstone throughballs/acute cut backs/back post crosses: any loose balls/rebounds will be smashed in by Cubillas.

Running at my opponent’s back four is encouraged. Direct vertical play (supported by Bozsik/Hierro/Amoros/De Napoli’s ammunition).

Mid-range to long-range shots also encouraged.

Sharp turns, direct dribbles, flicks, feints and one-two’s maximised in last attacking third: bringing his midfielders, attackers and fullbacks into the game.

Setpiece duty: Freekicks (short range, direct).

Penalty shootout taker: 4th

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Weber was very dynamic though and impressed me in the air from what I saw of him in the 1966 tournament. Quite Vidic-esque in his style and duels.

But yes, obviously it's Van Basten supported by a couple of inventive wingers from the top tier. He'll get on the end of things from time to time.
Cubillas is my special #10:

Do not let his insane goalscoring record confuse you - Cubillas was sensational playing behind a striker, and operating ahead of a playmaking central midfielder-defensive midfielder.
He was too hot to handle in a similar role for Peru against Scotland in 1978. Pity that Souness was kicking his heels on the bench rather than squaring up to him, which isn't the case here of course.

harms

Staff
Weber was very dynamic though and impressed me in the air from what I saw of him in the 1966 tournament. Quite Vidic-esque in his style and duels.
I wouldn’t have a problem with him and another great header together. With Chumpitaz you need someone like Kohler and Figueroa, and even that probably wouldn’t be enough, considering the support Marco’s getting.

Enigma_87

You know who
Unlucky @Skizzo . I liked your team during the drafting process and you have a very nice axis. However it's a juggernaut you are facing here..