Draft "Superman" players

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We have certain players who are deemed to be so good that 95% of opponents won't be able to stop them.

Pele, Maradona, Garrincha, Maldini, Baresi, Figueroa, R9...who else?

Unless they face each other, it'd turn to be a one sided match, so would be better to perma ban them from all drafts.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Matthaus. Put him in any setup in any role and you get the 1990 version.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Facchetti is able to man the whole flank being in multiple positions at once according to folk around here. No one can get past him and he's a beast in attack too.

DVG7

We have certain players who are deemed to be so good that 95% of opponents won't be able to stop them.

Pele, Maradona, Garrincha, Maldini, Baresi, Figueroa, R9...who else?

Unless they face each other, it'd turn to be a one sided match, so would be better to perma ban them from all drafts.
I just lost a game with Garrincha playing in a front 5 pretty much one on one versus a guy who never played the position he was playing, and who there is no footage of playing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not sure that Garrincha qualifies for the criteria.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not sure that Garrincha qualifies for the criteria.
If you don't have someone like Maldini covering him everyone else is seen as a liability against him. I don't think there is any other winger that has this impact.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Might sound strange, but I don't think Pele should be in there, nobody has a consensus on what his best position is and Pele teams rarely win any drafts.

harms

Staff
Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, Matthäus, Maradona, Best, Pelé, Müller, L. Ronaldo.

Also in contention: Facchetti, Cafu, Zanetti, Nesta, Robson, Nedved, Figo

harms

Staff
If you don't have someone like Maldini covering him everyone else is seen as a liability against him. I don't think there is any other winger that has this impact.
George Best. Garrincha has (exaggerated) flaws in terms of his mentality and greediness towards the ball, which often counts against his team. He's not going to win you more games than Platini or Puskas.

Indnyc

Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, Matthäus, Maradona, Best, Pelé, Müller, L. Ronaldo.

Also in contention: Facchetti, Cafu, Zanetti, Nesta, Robson, Nedved, Figo
Probably should add Beckenbauer to the list

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
It ebbs and flows over time. I remember feeling years ago that Redondo had hit unrealistic Superman status, now he's probably underrated if anything. Platini had some success lately IIRC after rarely getting the plaudits you'd expect. L. Ronaldo and Maradona are probably the two most consistent attacking cheat codes, and maybe Rijkaard as a defensive player.

I don't really support a blanket perma-banning of them, as in an odd and slightly pathetic way it's genuinely exciting picking these players for our imaginary teams, and also another Superman tier will probably emerge to replace them soon enough. We really should use limited pools (league specific etc) more often though, but it seems like every time those ideas are brought up people opt to sign up for a normal GOAT pool draft instead.

harms

Staff
Probably should add Beckenbauer to the list
In midfield, probably. In defense, he needs (to gain votes, this is not my personal perception on him) a good cover for his attacking runs. Figueroa probably makes the list though, he has been on an uphill trajectory lately.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't think they should be perma banned but it is mostly the forwards that do the most damage and the two that stick out the most are R9 Ronaldo and Maradona. They are essentially unstoppable even if you have Desailly at DM next to Matthaus B2B with Jurgen Kohler and Franco Baresi at CB.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's the best LB of all time & came #8 as CB. Does he make Top 20 as RB or RCB? Where would you rank him there?
LCB or RCB, does it really matter? Maybe to LVG, but I really don't buy this. I can see he'd be much less effective as RB, though.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
He's the best LB of all time & came #8 as CB. Does he make Top 20 as RB or RCB? Where would you rank him there?
To rank him in all-time context at RB/RCB very difficult because he didn't play there that often, I just think in a draft context he's perfectly able to do it to a high standard. If I would put a number on him at right-back I would probably go 9th of all-time having had a look at my top 20 right backs list.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maldini seems to be the only superman irrespective of where he's played in the defensive line!
Deserves it imo due to his all-roundedness (two-footed, elite in different positions) and his status as the single player who unquestionably gets in everyone’s all-time XI.