Ducker: Scott McTominay - the future Manchester United captain rapidly making himself indispensable

Alabaster Codify7

I actually think that the reality is exactly the opposite. If he was playing for a Watford or Newcastle, we would be talking about buying him for $50-60 mm.
Absolute nonsense in my opinion. What does he excel at to warrant it? Dououre is ten times the player and he'd go for that at maximum. There is such a ridiculous over estimation of our academy lads..... did you not learn from Cleverly? Fergie said he'd be good enough for Barcelona, what happened there eh? What about Ravel? What about another dozen academy lads who were apparently gonna kick on but never actually left their true level and were sold?

I'll play the long game, bookmark this message......Scott will be on the bench appearing 15 times a season by 2021 or a first teamer in the bottom half of the league.

You can rub my nose in it in two years.

TsuWave

crazy how gesticulating and shouting gets you hyped these days.

to be fair, he did also play decently and has improved, still, crazy.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't know how so many posters here who have been following football for many years now can not spot the apparent talent in McT. We are so lucky to have a player like him, there are good midfielders and then there are those who are among top 10 of a particular decade. McT will be one those for next 5 to 10 years for United. I think as he matures he will settle into that anchor role and have a career like Carrick for United.
My fecking god, honestly?
We'll see about that mate. Jesus Christ almighty.

Rival fans would look at this and think "feck me,this is how low their standards have dropped..... we're not hearing from this lot until 2030"

lex talionis

I've become a huge fan of McTominay, but such praise is a bit premature -- as Cleverly and Anderson can attest. Scotty, however, is much more likely to demonstrate staying power than either of these failed United midfielders, but the media really should lay off laying laurels around him at this stage of his career. He's had a great run of 4 or 5 games this season and maybe 4 or 5 games last season, but it's not exactly he's played at the level of Keane, Makelele or Iniesta. Scotty has punched above what we though his limit was and he deserves praise for that, but even now he can't be seen as a potential all-worlder...or even United captain.

Shiva87

Absolute nonsense in my opinion. What does he excel at to warrant it? Dououre is ten times the player and he'd go for that at maximum. There is such a ridiculous over estimation of our academy lads..... did you not learn from Cleverly? Fergie said he'd be good enough for Barcelona, what happened there eh? What about Ravel? What about another dozen academy lads who were apparently gonna kick on but never actually left their true level and were sold?

I'll play the long game, bookmark this message......Scott will be on the bench appearing 15 times a season by 2021 or a first teamer in the bottom half of the league.

You can rub my nose in it in two years.
Agreed. Let's bookmark this! I didn't rate him before but his development over the last 12 months has been brilliant. He is bossing midfield battles.

He is a limited player - but he seems to be everywhere. If he is playing 30+ games in 2021 - it will be fair to say that he is good enough?

(Also, my price estimate includes the British and United premium). He is already better than Fred...

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not a chance. He doesn't have a single stand-out quality that you could base a YouTube highlights video on. Decent in most areas, master of none. in fact, that French lad Soumare was criticised the other day because his highlights video showed he was okay everywhere but not excellent anywhere. Exactly like Scott. But I suppose Soumare isn't 'one of our own' so therefore is subject to warranted criticism.
If YouTube videos were to be believed, Lingard would be phenomenal. They, like you, have no integrity.

luke511

It's praise like this that hinders development, he's been playing class recently but he's still got a long way to go.

Kemizee

Who the feck was scared of Michael Carrick? but he was effective as anyone in that team. I'm in no way comparing Michael to Scott, but not every midfielder has to be scary, Carrick was called overrated for years, nobody apparently knew that he does on the pitch until near the end of his career.
While I understand you are not directly comparing them, Carrick was a mainstay on the pitch for year. At one point, he was literally running the midfiled on his own when Fergie refused to sort that part of the pitch out and opposition players knew if you sit on Carrick, you would disrupt our entire gameplan. Don't see the same abt Scott. At least not now. Who knows in future?

I am trying to recall a game, either Blackburn or West Brom away which we won 2 nil and our fans were belting out songs for him. Carrick was not fearful facially but he was definitely more influential than Scott was or will be in my opinion and I mean it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's been putting in some superb performances and gone from looking like a totally limited giant, to suddenly becoming this epic up and down player, even getting into goal scoring positions a couple of times a game now.

Hope he continues this progression.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Who the feck was scared of Michael Carrick? but he was effective as anyone in that team. I'm in no way comparing Michael to Scott, but not every midfielder has to be scary, Carrick was called overrated for years, nobody apparently knew that he does on the pitch until near the end of his career.
That's just nonsense. Plenty rated him way before he's close to retirement.

Xavi in 2009 ""He passes well, has a good shot and is a complete player. United have a very good midfield at a high level and they're strong physically and technically."

Xabi Alonso in 2010 “England missed a player like Carrick in the midfield, somebody who knows how to be in the right place at the right time. Gerrard gains a lot from having a player like Carrick as a partner, somebody who provides the back-up he needs to be free and bring his power to bear decisively in a game.”

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/carrick.251488/page-4

Last edited:

noelyman

Decent player and nothing more. Our situation in the last 7 years makes us very desperate so any glimmer of hope in a player is blown out of proportion. I remember when we won against Roma 7-1, won 3 EPL titles on the trot and 2 UCL finals on the trot; our line up was something like this in those times (2007-2011):

VDS
Valencia Vidic Rio Evra
Nani Scholes Carrick Ronaldo(Giggs)
Rooney(Tevez) Berbatov

Now compare that with our line ups today and see why we have fallen.
Typical of the history rewriting favoured by many. When we beat Roma 7-1. This was our lineup:

People are arguing and I tend to agree that Scott McTominay is our Darren Fletcher. Similar position and similarly unheralded but vital role in the team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He didn’t start the season terribly. The team started poorly but he wasn’t among the clutch of players that weren’t stepping up. I know they were only “moments”, but he won the pen against Palace, and bagged an assist and got a man sent off against Southampton.
Terrible is definitely too strong a word, but he was fairly average at the beginning of the season. It was an obvious step down from his form in the last couple of months last season and this preseason where he was starting to be quite impressive. He's started turning it around and has been quite good the last month or two, although I think it should be remembered that he was poor against Liverpool only a few games ago (which was surprising as normally it's the top teams that he performs best against).

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Terrible is definitely too strong a word, but he was fairly average at the beginning of the season. It was an obvious step down from his form in the last couple of months last season and this preseason where he was starting to be quite impressive. He's started turning it around and has been quite good the last month or two, although I think it should be remembered that he was poor against Liverpool only a few games ago (which was surprising as normally it's the top teams that he performs best against).
Not really surprising that he'll have random games where he wont impress much considering his age and position. You'll have to say he has been largely consistent this season, and the reason for his hype now is that it seems his next good performance will be better than the last one. That wont last forever of course, but when that still goes on, it feels almost impossible to put a ceiling on his development.

A lot of hyping up though, but that is natural and probably a bit out of desperation coming from where we are. McTominay gives off a lot of optimism and fans have the right to be exited. What I don't get is the scepticism behind our own player going from strength to strength. How that is somehow a negative? People are pissed he is getting recognition for his improvements? I don't get it.

jeepers

Anyone can be captain as long as I don’t have to see Young wearing the armband

Tarrou

Not really surprising that he'll have random games where he wont impress much considering his age and position. You'll have to say he has been largely consistent this season, and the reason for his hype now is that it seems his next good performance will be better than the last one. That wont last forever of course, but when that still goes on, it feels almost impossible to put a ceiling on his development.

A lot of hyping up though, but that is natural and probably a bit out of desperation coming from where we are. McTominay gives off a lot of optimism and fans have the right to be exited. What I don't get is the scepticism behind our own player going from strength to strength. How that is somehow a negative? People are pissed he is getting recognition for his improvements? I don't get it.
A lot of fans didn't rate him to begin with, I expect a few will cling onto that belief however obvious it becomes they were wrong. That might be where the skepticism comes from.

Saying that, we do tend to go a bit overboard don't we? He's gone from lucky to have a career in the Championship to being the next Keano in 12 months!

It's actually just nice to have some positivity around here though, for a change.

Red_Aaron

I've always liked these quotes from the great man, think they fit quite well in this thread:

"But that's the trouble with potential. People don't identify potential. They're very poor at it.

"I've identified all my life the potential in young people. I know potential. I know how to develop and have faith in it. And young people surprise you when given the opportunity. That's what this club is all about.

Scott is stepping up and taking responsibility on the field, this should be the basic standard of all professional players but sadly it's something we've lacked over the last few seasons. Hopefully he starts to rub off on those around him

Kemizee

Typical of the history rewriting favoured by many. When we beat Roma 7-1. This was our lineup:

People are arguing and I tend to agree that Scott McTominay is our Darren Fletcher. Similar position and similarly unheralded but vital role in the team.
Fair enough. I was only using the line up to demonstrate what our main squad looked like between those years that we were very successful.

f_to_z

I did not have this feeling with a player for a very long time in which i want to watch the match as usual but excited to watch him specifically. That is Mctominay. Back in the day i had that same feeling with many United players but recently none captured my interest until Mctominay now. I like his professionalism, fighting spirit, leadership, influence and most importantly visually improving each game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he's ever our captain it's because we're a midtable team.

If we're a top team he's lucky to get on the bench.

Don't dislike him or anything, he seems like a good lad, but he's not a top talent and I don't see top talent potential. He's a decent grafter and seems to be a leader, not much more.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he's ever our captain it's because we're a midtable team.

If we're a top team he's lucky to get on the bench.

Don't dislike him or anything, he seems like a good lad, but he's not a top talent and I don't see top talent potential. He's a decent grafter and seems to be a leader, not much more.
Exactly. He is a Gibson-level player.

DamoK

Has been very poor today and he is limited in my opinion. Does well agaisnt strong teams when we don't have most of the possesion very limited on the ball and would only be a. Squad player on a top team.

Roboc7

Truth is he’s a midtable player that’s it, every so often he raises his level above that like against his game like against Chelsea and Norwich. But before and after that you have performances like today, against Partizan and Newcastle where he doesn’t even look like a midtable player.

Also no longer have Pogba to blame for getting overrun in midfield it’s happening regularly when he isn’t playing, Fred and Mctominay are too easily by passed too often.

AFC NimbleThumb

Terribly overrated on here cause people need some reason to cling to midfield hope.

He’s a decent midfielder but apart from shots at the edge of the area I don’t know what else he does.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, there is no middle ground at all. It’s like bunch of teenagers shouting randomly. One good game he is better than Fletcher, one poor game means he isn’t good enough.

meamth

Just watched his new interview with Dan James.

One part of the interview, he said he can easily do 5km running. In a session he did with Dan James, he left him behind and Dan James went home because he just couldn't keep up with McT.

Interesting, we assume that Dan James can run all day, but our McT is on another level of endurance.

Champagne Football

McT is a Fletcher type player, and Fletcher was world class on certain games.

Away to City or Liverpool and McT will often be the best player on the pitch. Outrunning everybody. But home to Norwich or Brighton you'd want him on the bench as he would not have the creativity to open them up

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Away to City or Liverpool and McT will often be the best player on the pitch. Outrunning everybody. But home to Norwich or Brighton you'd want him on the bench as he would not have the creativity to open them up
It will be interesting if we can get him in front of Matic in midfield a bit more often. Maybe in a 433. His close control is very good, and he has a very good shot. Combined with his pace and power that could make him a goal threat if he is able to time his movement into the box a bit better.

Untd55

Just watched his new interview with Dan James.

One part of the interview, he said he can easily do 5km running. In a session he did with Dan James, he left him behind and Dan James went home because he just couldn't keep up with McT.

Interesting, we assume that Dan James can run all day, but our McT is on another level of endurance.
James is pretty much always finished by the 60th- to 70th-minute mark so his stamina has not really been that great. McTominay and Fred are probably the best in terms of stamina.

Supposedly, Fred is the fastest player in the team but you don't really get to see it much (Everton - 37.29km/h) but he doesn't seem to have the explosive acceleration. That is actually faster than Mbappe at top speed. James seems to max at about 35 km/h. Fred will be more of a test for McTominay.

James is fast, but his main asset is acceleration.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

This is how the game often goes. I used to think this when I was growing up when everyone talked about flat track bullies and people not doing it in big games. We’d often play Arsenal and John O’Shea, Phil Neville or whoever could be MOTM in central midfield, despite all of the attacking talent on the pitch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Mega against Paris in both fixtures too.

I’ve got plenty of time for McTominay. He is a mentality monster.

NYAS

Even at home to Norwich or Brighton you’re going to need him. You’re not going to get away with playing Bruno and Pogba in a two. Yes the need for defensive-minded players will be less than in the bigger games but when it comes to that, I’d much rather have McT than Matic because the former will at least be able to track the opposition’s midfield runners.

Dante

Average bang

He scored at home to Brighton (but was injured at home to Norwich).

Champagne Football

McT has insane mental strength, he'd remind you of Jordan Henderson perhaps, so with the way he applies himself, I wouldn't bet against him improving his game beyond recognition over next few years.