Ducker: Scott McTominay - the future Manchester United captain rapidly making himself indispensable

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

red thru&thru

Great that he's getting a lot of praise, well deserved too. For me, our best player so far this season.

KennyBurner

He has been great for us. Arguably our best performer but why does he need to be a captain? He has so much more left to prove at the top. He hasn’t even been first team for a whole season. Journalists love to do that thing were they can’t just let young plAyers fly under the radar without putting them under immense pressure.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I love the guy. His mentality, his progression technically and his apparently leadership skills have been something to behold.

But, we're all jumping the gun a bit and this is symbolic of that. Let's see if he can keep up with current performances before even half a season before feeling like we can objectively state that he's mint.

Alabaster Codify7

I stand by what I always say - he's doing great, I love his attitude and professionalism but if Scott McTominay was playing for Watford or Newcastle, not a single United fan would say "that's a player we need in our starting 11".

A nice story, a nice lad, a solid enough player but if we want to be a world-beating team again eventually Scott would be phased into a squad role.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I stand by what I always say - he's doing great, I love his attitude and professionalism but if Scott McTominay was playing for Watford or Newcastle, not a single United fan would say "that's a player we need in our starting 11".

A nice story, a nice lad, a solid enough player but if we want to be a world-beating team again eventually Scott would be phased into a squad role.
but if he was playing in Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga many would be posting his YouTube compilation saying how we should sign player like him.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

Don't know about this, I think he looks better than Scott Longstaff to me.

Champagne Football

Jose will try to take credit for Scott, even though McTominay would be celebrating a grand total of 33 minutes of first team action so far this season from the bench, if Jose was still here.
McTominay would be Jose's back-up option to 31 year old Nainngolan, who Jose would have spent £85 million on.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Jose will try to take credit for Scott, even though McTominay would be celebrating a grand total of 33 minutes of first team action so far this season from the bench, if Jose was still here.
McTominay would be Jose's back-up option to 31 year old Nainngolan, who Jose would have spent £85 million on.
Nah, he liked McTominay and Scott himself said he helped him a great deal. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

simmee

Based on what? Look at Longstaff and Rice for example, worse players that were hyped up as players we need last summer. McTominay is 22-years old, improving every game, performing against the best teams in the league and does his talking on the pitch, unlike a lot of our other players.

SER19

‘Pawn, mourinho vanity project, Jose scapegoat, championship level player’

Oh no wait....

Yet another lesson in giving a young player a little patience

Last edited:

FrantikChicken

Seriously? Mourinho got slayed on here for bringing in McTominay and trusting him to perform. "It's only because he's tall", "mourinho has a fetish for tall players" etc.

He'd easily be a consistent starter under Jose.

Alabaster Codify7

Based on what? Look at Longstaff and Rice for example, worse players that were hyped up as players we need last summer. McTominay is 22-years old, improving every game, performing against the best teams in the league and does his talking on the pitch, unlike a lot of our other players.

Two players I personally have never been impressed with nor did I want either. If they were Croatian or German we wouldn't even have been linked with either. I stand by my opinion, Scott is a very limited albeit hard-working and quite effective player. A very good squad option.

McTominay has built a real cult on here already. Anyone who doesn't believe he's the next academy-bred superstar is in for it! I'll continue to stand by what I feel I see when I watch him play.

Thiagoal

Total nonsense! If he were playing for a lower club he’d probably be more appreciated by some of our fan base!

His attitude, work rate, tackling and driving runs are developing him into one of the best midfielders in the league (of his type)

Alabaster Codify7

but if he was playing in Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga many would be posting his YouTube compilation saying how we should sign player like him.

Not a chance. He doesn't have a single stand-out quality that you could base a YouTube highlights video on. Decent in most areas, master of none. in fact, that French lad Soumare was criticised the other day because his highlights video showed he was okay everywhere but not excellent anywhere. Exactly like Scott. But I suppose Soumare isn't 'one of our own' so therefore is subject to warranted criticism.

Alabaster Codify7

Total nonsense! If he were playing for a lower club he’d probably be more appreciated by some of our fan base!

His attitude, work rate, tackling and driving runs are developing him into one of the best midfielders in the league (of his type)

Here comes the cult!!!!!!!

simmee

Two players I personally have never been impressed with nor did I want either. If they were Croatian or German we wouldn't even have been linked with either. I stand by my opinion, Scott is a very limited albeit hard-working and quite effective player. A very good squad option.

McTominay has built a real cult on here already. Anyone who doesn't believe he's the next academy-bred superstar is in for it! I'll continue to stand by what I feel I see when I watch him play.
But you said that no Utd fan would be talking about him, yet those two were being talked about? How do you explain that? You never rating those two is your personal opinion.

And then you move on to the classic Caf-way of arguing by blaming people of being his fan club just because they don't agree with your opinion and you've run out of arguments.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

but liverpool have players like that who are made better by those around them. we've had his like before: Darren Fletcher comes to mind. it's not possible to have 11 world-class players all playing in their desired position. I agree we wouldn't go out and sign him but we also wouldn't go out and sign Henderson or Milner

superdry

touched by a genius
He's a growing influence on the team, a player who will be a constant in good performance terms, which is something we've not had for some time.

SER19

Improved, more confident with his passing and matured with playing time. No need to wait, get on your bike.
I’m a huge McTominay fan, supported him from early on. I was just having a go at the people who were frothing at the mouth about a year ago saying those things about him and refusing to give a young player any patience whatsoever

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I’m a huge McTominay fan, supported him from early on. I was just having a go at the people who were frothing at the mouth about a year ago saying those things about him and refusing to give a young player any patience whatsoever
If you foresaw this kind of improvement coming, fair play to you then.

There are players who kick on as soon as they are given a chance and then there are players who take time to gain their confidence when put at a higher level. McTominay is the latter. McTominay looked and played an extremely limited role, especially in terms of his attacking contributions when he was first put in the squad.

Jose did him no favours by constantly bringing him up as an example of why he is a manager who apparently favours youth, then invented an award at the club awards ceremony to drive that point home harder and in the end did Scott no favours by asking him to play in defence as a protest against the club which inevitably ended poorly.

These are all very valid reasons for why fans were not exactly enamoured by him during that time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's clips on twitter of him absolutely ripping into Ashley Young late on Wednesday night, it's an amazing sight :lol:

Superden

I agree, just shows how toxic the interweb is. Hes a young lad, thats come through our youth system, and yet hes being maligned because hes not world class already, and others are already seeing 5 years into the future and writing him off, against the fact that he was utterly maligned when he first came into the team by the same soothsayers who are now predicting his demise, having not learnt a jot.

not every player has to be a future balon d'or winner to make it at UTD and to get our support.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Mourinho deserves massive credit for McTominay. As does Ole. It’s not easy to give a CM minutes in the premier league at all.

Dike_Manc

Can someone put it out there for us who can't view Twitter at work? Scott is definitely my favorite United player of recent times.
Thanks in advance.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Ducker in still trying to be relevant even though most people think he's crap, shocker.

Leave the boy alone and let him develop.

Can't help thinking it was serious error of judgement to chose to play for Scotland though, the state of the England midfield, he would certainly improve it.

Mainoldo

Ducker in still trying to be relevant even though most people think he's crap, shocker.

Leave the boy alone and let him develop.

Can't help thinking it was serious error of judgement to chose to play for Scotland though, the state of the England midfield, he would certainly improve it.
True. He’s played qualifiers now too. So can’t change right? Born in Hull or is that James.

I’m telling people though he reminds me of Gerrard.

Giggsy9099

He should stay away from Pogboom and Jlingz. Love his attitude and approach to the game and the badge.

ROFLUTION

That's not true though. He's very comparable with Rice from West Ham (Scott's better at the moment) and a lot of people want Rice.

To me, Rice and McTominay is almost the same midfielder, taking up the same spaces, doing the same things as passing safely and protecting (both very good at it). Difference so far this season is that McTominay has stepped up his game and also offered options when going forward. You can see there's a leader in him and boy do we need leaders with the focus on the right things.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's doing really well but I think the club needs to stop wetting it's pants (in excitement) everytime a player/manager is on a good run or looking promising.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not a chance. He doesn't have a single stand-out quality that you could base a YouTube highlights video on. Decent in most areas, master of none. in fact, that French lad Soumare was criticised the other day because his highlights video showed he was okay everywhere but not excellent anywhere. Exactly like Scott. But I suppose Soumare isn't 'one of our own' so therefore is subject to warranted criticism.
When has Soumare been criticised? Oh by one poster so that gives it credence I suppose. This is the caf, stop taking all opinions as gospel

McSauce doesn’t need a YouTube reel to showcase his ability and importance to the team. We know what he is;a very good player who’s improving and we know what he isn’t; world class.

RedNed77

He's doing really well but I think the club needs to stop wetting it's pants (in excitement) everytime a player/manager is on a good run or looking promising.
I personally think it'd be better to tone down the other extreme of people shitting the bed everytime something doesn't go according to plan. There's nothing wrong with offering too much support to the players or club.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s been fantastic, and you could see it from his first run in the team that he had something. It’s no wonder José rated him so highly, a proper Mourinho player.

Big Andy

Bloke
He's a quality player. Sure he's not going to be banging 15-20 goals a season, but he's a solid 7/10 every week player, and it's upon those players that you can add players who can score 15-20 goals from midfield. You can build a team around 7/10 players.

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum who have an unnatural need to be negative about everything. It's getting silly, and it's ruining this place.

How many things can people moan about United. I'll give you a list of just a few of the things:

Pogba
Ole
Phil Jones
Scott McTominay
Signing Dan James
Ashley Young
Rashford
Lingard
Uniteds scouting system
Wages we pay

Pogba aside, all those players will put a shift in for the team, granted some aren't as good as we want them to be, or need them to be, but whatever happened to supporting the shirts. You moaning cnuts need to feck off.

izec

Dont like the hype. A bad patch and people will slaughter him (Rashford). Players have their ups and downs, especially young ones, i hope they develop the way they are meant to be.

Just like van Gaal threw in Rashford, Mourinho gave McTominay surprising game time out of nowhere over more established and experienced players at times. This has to be acknowledged.