Music Dull/boring/insipid music - this was a mistake

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What music do you consider to be dull?

When I think about dull music I think of music that is generally unoffensive, doesn't provoke any sort of emotion, and too safe. I really hate dull music because it's essentially art without emotion.

Artists such as Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, and Ed Sheeran fall into this category for me.

I view dull as separate from bad or good, Ed Sheeran is a far better musician that Takeshi 69 yet Sheeran's music makes me feel nothing. Takeshi's music actually has something to it, even if it's largely bad, it at least evokes something.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Most traditional love songs are incredibly dull. You know, the ones that have lyrics like, "I wanna hold you 'til the fear in me subsides". Who the feck would ever say that and not expect to get instantly dumped?

And yeah, there are exceptions (God Only Knows etc) but romance and art often don't seem to mix.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Good call with Imagine Dragons and the others you said. I'll add Coldplay.

I find most metal to be very dull. It's loud and sometimes "extreme" or whatever, but I find it dull.

FrantikChicken

I think this is an extremely subjective topic tbh, people will just generally list music they don't like listening to and it'll be all over the map as already evident in the responses so far.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like Coldplay’s first two albums. I think it’s easy to confuse dull with slow/somber.

Stuff like Sufjan Stevens is quite soft and slow but has a lot of emotion behind it.

FrantikChicken

True, I did try to distinguish it from bad music.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

To try and answer your question properly, I think for me I generally feel like this about vocal jazz. Other than the odd Chet Baker tune, I find the music to be dull and cheesy all around, especially lyrically. It's almost blasphemy for me to say as a professional musician but I've always felt this way hahah

Hoof the ball

Country Music.
A bit broad, no? That's like saying 'rock'. There's about 30 subgenres in country, most a lot different than the next; same for rock. Perhaps you mean Nashville when you say country? most do. Radio country; lowest common denominator country. That's Nashville, and it's uninspired, repetitive and depleted of meaning or creativity.

Drifter

American
A bit broad, no? That's like saying 'rock'. There's about 30 subgenres in country, most a lot different than the next; same for rock. Perhaps you mean Nashville when you say country? most do. Radio country; lowest common denominator country. That's Nashville, and it's uninspired, repetitive and depleted of meaning or creativity.
Never knew there was so many . And yes i am talking about Nashville.

FrantikChicken

Modern country is basically pop music really, they just add lyrics about pickup trucks etc. To distinguish hahah

Last edited:

Sweet Square

I swear the Weeknd has made the same song for the last 5 years.

Not a bad artist just a very dull one.

Hoof the ball

Never knew there was so many . And yes i am talking about Nashville.
Yeah, there's a bunch. Ken Burns did a documentary on the history of the genre and it ran for about 16 hours!

Anyhow, here's a video that quickly summarises many of them

Nashville country is basically pop mu
Modern country is basically pop music really, they just add lyrics about pickup trucks etc. To distinguish hahah
Luke Bryan, etc. Beer, summer, pickup, etc. Repeat. ha!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Grime is an abomination to the art of music. Most , if not nearly all of the musical genres have at least spawned a couple of gems that warranted repeated listening apart from grime and thrash metal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't what to call this genre, if it actually is a genre: the music often featured in adverts, which is frequently a slowed-down version of a popular song from the recent past, accompanied by acoustic guitar. I like fey things but, Christ knows, not this uninspiring amateurishness.

Hoof the ball

I don't what to call this genre, if it actually is a genre: the music often featured in adverts, which is frequently a slowed-down version of a popular song from the recent past, accompanied by acoustic guitar. I like fey things but, Christ knows, not this uninspiring amateurishness.
Breath-like singing too?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Grime is an abomination to the art of music. Most , if not nearly all of the musical genres have at least spawned a couple of gems that warranted repeated listening apart from grime and thrash metal.
I hope Slayer come round to your house and beat you up.

The National
Even as someone who adores them, I get this.

SteveJ

Scout
Hoof The Ball said:
Breath-like singing too?
Yep, that's the kind of thing.
So much of modern comedy and music seems amateurish now. It's as if *slightly controversial point ahead* middle class people who could make a few of their friends laugh while in university suddenly decided that this justifies a professional career. And, of course, their opportunities to establish such a career are numerous compared to working class equivalents - because so many of Britain's cultural industries are in the hands of middle-to-upper-class gatekeepers.

More to the specific point: much professional music sounds like elevated busking to me.

Sweet Square

Similarly slow piano covers of classic movie themes that get used in reboot trailers

SteveJ

Scout
Yep. Down with the genre thingy which might not be an actual genre or at least I don't have a clue about it if it is!

SteveJ

Scout
Heavens know I'm miserable now, Tiggy. :(

SteveJ

Scout
I love the Smiths...and quite like about 3 or 4 solo songs - that doesn't say a lot for Morrissey without Marr, considering Morrissey's released over 50 singles. :D

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, there's a bunch. Ken Burns did a documentary on the history of the genre and it ran for about 16 hours!

Anyhow, here's a video that quickly summarises many of them

Luke Bryan, etc. Beer, summer, pickup, etc. Repeat. ha!
Red Dirt and Texas Country would be my pick of the lot. It’s actually more than just tolerable.

lsd

The Oracle
Stereophonics

Oasis / both Gallaghers

Coldplay

Jason mraz

Drake

Run the Jewels

Mumble Rappers

Madonna

The Weekend

Kanye