Film Dune

Conor

Is Bautista supposed to be Rabban or Feyd-Rautha?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is Bautista supposed to be Rabban or Feyd-Rautha?
It’s weird since Rabban essentially has one scene in the book and
dies off screen

Conor

It’s weird since Rabban essentially has one scene in the book and
dies off screen
Yeah I agree, he is a fairly nothing character, they must be making some stuff up to have him play anything other than a fleeting part.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Good book. Very enjoyable. Should I read the others?
I should read them again! Probably read them in translation actually. Anyway, there are six, right? I remember the first five all being good, and that sixth one changes course significantly and wasn't as enjoyable. For what it's worth.

Simbo

Just stick it on PPV ffs, up the price to give a cut to cinemas.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I learned in the news that Warner Bros. has decided to release “Dune” on HBO Max at the same time as our theatrical release, using prominent images from our movie to promote their streaming service. With this decision AT&T has hijacked one of the most respectable and important studios in film history. There is absolutely no love for cinema, nor for the audience here. It is all about the survival of a telecom mammoth, one that is currently bearing an astronomical debt of more than $150 billion. Therefore, even though “Dune” is about cinema and audiences, AT&T is about its own survival on Wall Street. With HBO Max’s launch a failure thus far, AT&T decided to sacrifice Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate in a desperate attempt to grab the audience’s attention.

Warner Bros.’ sudden reversal from being a legacy home for filmmakers to the new era of complete disregard draws a clear line for me. Filmmaking is a collaboration, reliant on the mutual trust of team work and Warner Bros. has declared they are no longer on the same team.

Streaming services are a positive and powerful addition to the movie and TV ecosystems. But I want the audience to understand that streaming alone can’t sustain the film industry as we knew it before COVID. Streaming can produce great content, but not movies of “Dune’s” scope and scale. Warner Bros.’ decision means “Dune” won’t have the chance to perform financially in order to be viable and piracy will ultimately triumph. Warner Bros. might just have killed the “Dune” franchise. This one is for the fans. AT&T’s John Stankey said that the streaming horse left the barn. In truth, the horse left the barn for the slaughterhouse.

Public safety comes first. Nobody argues with that. Which is why when it became apparent the winter would bring a second wave of the pandemic, I understood and supported the decision to delay “Dune’s” opening by almost a year. The plan was that “Dune” would open in theaters in October 2021, when vaccinations will be advanced and, hopefully, the virus behind us. Science tells us that everything should be back to a new normal next fall.

“Dune” is by far the best movie I’ve ever made. My team and I devoted more than three years of our lives to make it a unique big screen experience. Our movie’s image and sound were meticulously designed to be seen in theaters.

I’m speaking on my own behalf, though I stand in solidarity with the sixteen other filmmakers who now face the same fate. Please know I am with you and that together we are strong. The artists are the ones who create movies and series.

I strongly believe the future of cinema will be on the big screen, no matter what any Wall Street dilettante says. Since the dawn of time, humans have deeply needed communal storytelling experiences. Cinema on the big screen is more than a business, it is an art form that brings people together, celebrating humanity, enhancing our empathy for one another — it’s one of the very last artistic, in-person collective experiences we share as human beings.

Once the pandemic is over, theaters will be filled again with film lovers.

That is my strong belief. Not because the movie industry needs it, but because we humans need cinema, as a collective experience.

So, just as I have both a fiduciary and creative responsibility to fulfill as the filmmaker, I call on AT&T to act swiftly with the same responsibility, respect and regard to protect this vital cultural medium. Economic impact to stakeholders is only one aspect of corporate social responsibility. Finding ways to enhance culture is another. The moviegoing experience is like no other. In those darkened theaters films capture our history, educate us, fuel our imagination and lift and inspire our collective spirit. It is our legacy.

Long live theatrical cinema!

— Denis Villeneuve

Siorac

FYI - The Lynch version and the miniseries Children of Dune are on Prime. Think they're new as I haven't seen them on there before.
The Lynch version is also on Netflix.

Spoiler alert: it's terrible, don't watch it. It's not even enjoyably bad most of the time.

Amarsdd

Villeneuve doesn't think it'll make enough dime to warrant a sequel, as it's being released on HBO Max and in cinemas at the same time. That would really suck.
I would have thought it was never going to make good money in theatres and going the same way as Blade Runner 2049 in that sense. So, HBO Max would have helped get more eyes on it.

Last edited:

Bobski

Striking cast, and those blue eyes on Zendaya, oh my.

Expecting it to be the best flop of the year it comes out.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
For the ones who have read the book, this may come across a bit of a weird question but...

As somebody who isn't the best when it comes to being focused while reading, what is the best approach to this.
So anyway, the book 'seems' complex in that.

Dune seems to be 225 pages without any chapters.
Muad'Dib and The Prophet are also in the book. Are Dune, Muad'Dib and The Prophet Chapter 1, 2 and 3, or, even though in the same book, are they different books, And by different books, I just mean like HP and the Philosophers stone, Chambers of Secrets etc.

Also, regarding the pages 'Terminology of the imperium' Cartographic notes for map' and 'Map of Dune'. Every time I don't understand a word, should I be going back and forth trying to find out all the meanings, or will it come clear as I read as that seems a massive pain in the arse

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Critical success but not a box office one, is my prediction.
Much like his previous film.

Revan

Assumptionman
For the ones who have read the book, this may come across a bit of a weird question but...

As somebody who isn't the best when it comes to being focused while reading, what is the best approach to this.
So anyway, the book 'seems' complex in that.

Dune seems to be 225 pages without any chapters.
Muad'Dib and The Prophet are also in the book. Are Dune, Muad'Dib and The Prophet Chapter 1, 2 and 3, or, even though in the same book, are they different books, And by different books, I just mean like HP and the Philosophers stone, Chambers of Secrets etc.

Also, regarding the pages 'Terminology of the imperium' Cartographic notes for map' and 'Map of Dune'. Every time I don't understand a word, should I be going back and forth trying to find out all the meanings, or will it come clear as I read as that seems a massive pain in the arse
Read it a few years ago but I am pretty sure it has chapters (and it is twice as long as 225 pages).

Muad’dib is just Paul, the protagonist.

The sequels have different titles (and for most part, except to some degree the second, they suck).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Read it a few years ago but I am pretty sure it has chapters (and it is twice as long as 225 pages).

Muad’dib is just Paul, the protagonist.

The sequels have different titles (and for most part, except to some degree the second, they suck).
all the ones his son wrote are awful and a straight money grab.

Revan

Assumptionman
all the ones his son wrote are awful and a straight money grab.
I finished after the fourth one (God Emperor) which was written by the main author. I really disliked both the third and the fourth (the third in particular is an abomination, and the fourth aims to be a philosophical book). Didn’t read the one written by his son, heard that they are even worse.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I finished after the fourth one (God Emperor) which was written by the main author. I really disliked both the third and the fourth (the third in particular is an abomination, and the fourth aims to be a philosophical book).
Believe it or not they get worse. Unbelievably, incredibly, and painfully worse.

Bobski

This is going to be a visual treat, that trailer is a feast for the eyes.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oh no it's that awful actress I saw in that equally awful Dr Sleep adaption.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The trailer looks very action packed which is fairly different to Villeneuve's past movies, which have tended to be quite sombre.

I'm thinking maybe Blade Runner 2049 was deemed too slow and they've asked him to crank it to 11.