Film Dune

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Maybe I am in the minority, and maybe it's because I was young when I saw it, but I was not a fan of the original movie at all. It was just weird and choppy and I remember feeling like it did the book a disservice. Hopefully this is an improvement!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Trailer looks sexy. Love the books and the boardgame, hope the movie is good too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe I am in the minority, and maybe it's because I was young when I saw it, but I was not a fan of the original movie at all. It was just weird and choppy and I remember feeling like it did the book a disservice. Hopefully this is an improvement!
It was just too weird. That's what you get when you let David Lynch do a blockbuster.

decorativeed

I think the general consensus is that it's a dud. I couldn't get through the first hour when I tried to give it a go recently. I liked the art direction, but that was about it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I loved the books but still find it amusing that the main man is called Paul.

mckenic

As someone who is more a Lynch fan than a Dune fan, I didnt hate the og film.
Didnt read the book either (not for any reason I had 1984 and Brave New World to get to first) but Im finishing off Whipping Star before I dive in.

Watched the Jodorowsky doc and WISH, WISH, WISH that had gotten made... but there is something about Dune that I think is like Neuromancer... they will never just catch it right on film. I think Jodorowsky could have and I think Chris Cunningham could have with Neuromancer.

Hope Im wrong and will certainly see it in the cinema when thats safe again - BUT just looking at this thread Im feeling I might just wait for a fan recolouring like they did for the trailer!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
For the ones who have read the book, this may come across a bit of a weird question but...

As somebody who isn't the best when it comes to being focused while reading, what is the best approach to this.
So anyway, the book 'seems' complex in that.

Dune seems to be 225 pages without any chapters.
Muad'Dib and The Prophet are also in the book. Are Dune, Muad'Dib and The Prophet Chapter 1, 2 and 3, or, even though in the same book, are they different books, And by different books, I just mean like HP and the Philosophers stone, Chambers of Secrets etc.

Also, regarding the pages 'Terminology of the imperium' Cartographic notes for map' and 'Map of Dune'. Every time I don't understand a word, should I be going back and forth trying to find out all the meanings, or will it come clear as I read as that seems a massive pain in the arse

Dune, Muad-Dib, and the Prophet are sections/books/volumes of the main book Dune. There are separate chapters within each of these books, but they aren't broken out in the Table of Contents since they are generally just changes in location, point of view, time, etc.

If you don't know a word and. can't determine the meaning based on context, the Terminology section could be helpful. I re-read it last fall and didn't really reference it even though I hadn't read it in about 15+ years. The map is just helpful if you want it to be. I don't remember ever looking at it.

Does that answer your questions?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I don't even care if this is bad. The cast alone is worth looking at. I shall still enjoy it at an Imax with full surround sound, recliner seats and popcorn in hand.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
"You've put on some muscle", "I am smiling" roflmao I like turtles. That Seinfeld levity from all your favourite Marvels and Trump memes. Saturate everything.

You can't enjoy stuff if I can't.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Never seen Dune or read the the book. Is it ruined with a crap love story like nearly everything else out there?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Never seen Dune or read the the book. Is it ruined with a crap love story like nearly everything else out there?
Nope.

First two books are work of art and a classic sci-fi, but then Paul goes on a long walk through the desert and from there I thought the story lost big part of it's soul. Later chapters are still considered classic and fully deserved.

Latest books though are truly hit & miss... it's a miss mostly.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was truly terrible. Almost unwatchable.

The books are also hard going, even the good early ones, because, despite his ideas often being really great and he avoided simple dramatic outcomes, his writing was not at all accessible and something you endured to experience the ideas rather than something that was fun to read.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Did anyone play the RTS game of this? One of my favourites.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Did anyone play the RTS game of this? One of my favourites.
Dune 2 - absolutely amazing game! I totally loved it back then. Unfortunately, it's not something I can go back to: I tried it again a few years ago, and the controls are just too clunky now once you've been used to even just the next generation of RTSs (like C&C and Warcraft 2). They did do a remake, Dune 2000, with modern controls and that's a lot better. It's not the original though. :)

Ever played Dune? It's a kind of weird mix of genres. I played it a little but never figured it out. Reading it's wikipedia now, apparently it was a very successful game. Maybe I was just too young at the time.

I've said this elsewhere before, but I'll never have a moment on a computer like when the Dune 2 intro first started talking to me. We had a 386SX25 with a soundblaster, and at some point upgraded our RAM from 2 to 4mb. Apparently, that was enough for the game to start playing those voice lines - which I had never heard before. Like magic!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hell yeah. The number of fremen I ran over with my Devastator tanks is incalculable
House Harkonnen had the best units.
Dune 2 - absolutely amazing game! I totally loved it back then. Unfortunately, it's not something I can go back to: I tried it again a few years ago, and the controls are just too clunky now once you've been used to even just the next generation of RTSs (like C&C and Warcraft 2). They did do a remake, Dune 2000, with modern controls and that's a lot better. It's not the original though. :)

Ever played Dune? It's a kind of weird mix of genres. I played it a little but never figured it out. Reading it's wikipedia now, apparently it was a very successful game. Maybe I was just too young at the time.

I've said this elsewhere before, but I'll never have a moment on a computer like when the Dune 2 intro first started talking to me. We had a 386SX25 with a soundblaster, and at some point upgraded our RAM from 2 to 4mb. Apparently, that was enough for the game to start playing those voice lines - which I had never heard before. Like magic!
When I first got the game it didn’t run well on the PC we had at home. We upgraded a few years later and I loved it. Always chose Gunseng over Copec to side with.

I could never really play with the Ordos units that well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
House Harkonnen had the best units.
When I first got the game it didn’t run well on the PC we had at home. We upgraded a few years later and I loved it. Always chose Gunseng over Copec to side with.

I could never really play with the Ordos units that well.
Yeah, Ordos wasn't great and their special unit was crap. So were the Firemen, but at least the Atreides had the sonic wave tank. Harkonnen was most fun though - but then I go with the big brute in every game I play, never the assassin, archer, or magician (or their equivalents; I never really played RPGs). :D

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Dune 2000 game had cutscenes with John Rhys Davies. In some part it looked better than Lynch's Dune. No joke.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Probably won't be, but if ever there was a scifi I wanted to be everything one hope it to be

Balljy

That review comes across as somebody who loves the books so much they wouldn't enjoy any movie of it. I agree that it's too big to fit everything into a movie though, there needs to be a trilogy to fit all the political and moral reasonings of "Dune" into the story.

Pscholes18

From what a lot of people are saying, if that critic hates it, it must be good. One of those deals. Imma still check it out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looking forward to this, both Chamalet and Zendeya have real X factor.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That review comes across as somebody who loves the books so much they wouldn't enjoy any movie of it. I agree that it's too big to fit everything into a movie though, there needs to be a trilogy to fit all the political and moral reasonings of "Dune" into the story.
It is actually a two-parter. Still nog a trilogy, but it's not a single film. ;)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Always will be fan boys of the original that will hate a remake. The early reviews are nonsense these days, believe the 2nd wave of reviews more than the 1st. That's my general experience anyway.

Balljy

It is actually a two-parter. Still nog a trilogy, but it's not a single film. ;)
That's great news. I had no idea that was the case and having Googled it I like Villeneuve's reasoning that the world is too complex to fit into one film.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United