Film Dune

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Guardian give it five stars calling it “brilliant” and “sublime”.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/03/dune-review-denis-villenueve-venice-film-festival
Radio-Canada was also very positive - although their article feels almost less like a review of Dune than a panegyric of Villeneuve (a French-Canadian). But they also comment that this is a sci-fi masterpiece, a passionate film that's a breathtaking visual experience and a love letter to cinema that reminds of Hollywood classics and includes memorable Kurosawa-like fight scenes. (To quote from across the article.) Here is the full review (in French):

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1821508/dune-critique-lettre-amour-denis-villeneuve-cinema

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Sometimes you just have to ignore the critics and go see for yourself. They might hate it but as a fan you might love it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is actually a two-parter. Still nog a trilogy, but it's not a single film. ;)
Assuming the first one earns enough to get the second part made.

Blade Runner 2049 was brilliant but didn't earn enough to get the next film made most likely.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Assuming the first one earns enough to get the second part made.

Blade Runner 2036 was brilliant but didn't earn enough to get the next film made most likely.
Yep - assuming there is something to the super positive review, it would be quite the bummer to have to content with only part 1... I'll have to do my part and go see it in cinema! (Funnily, the last film I saw in a big cinema was Villeneuve's Bladerunner. Since then, I have only been going to smaller films in our local second-run cinema.)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep - assuming there is something to the super positive review, it would be quite the bummer to have to content with only part 1... I'll have to do my part and go see it in cinema! (Funnily, the last film I saw in a big cinema was Villeneuve's Bladerunner. Since then, I have only been going to smaller films in our local second-run cinema.)
Frustrating when great films are underappreciated and don't get sequels yet often almost unmatchable superhero bollocks earns billions resulting in never ending sequels.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Frustrating when great films are underappreciated and don't get sequels yet often almost unmatchable superhero bollocks earns billions resulting in never ending sequels.
It's what the Guardian article said: Villeneuve marries arthouse with blockbusters. The problem with Bladerunner is that this displeased a lot of cinephiles (it's too superficial!) as well as blockbuster fans (it's too slow and quiet!). For the sake of the sequel, I hope he found that balance this time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's what the Guardian article said: Villeneuve marries arthouse with blockbusters. The problem with Bladerunner is that this displeased a lot of cinephiles (it's too superficial!) as well as blockbuster fans (it's too slow and quiet!). For the sake of the sequel, I hope he found that balance this time.
I though he got the valance just about right tbh. Hopefully Dune doesn't get ignored the same way.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I though he got the valance just about right tbh. Hopefully Dune doesn't get ignored the same way.
I meant commercially. I mean, I also liked Bladerunner on the whole. (Even if I thought it was a big too drawn out and the soundtrack was too loud. But pretty good otherwise and gorgeously shot.) But given the turnout in cinema, he didn't have the balance right from a commercial point of view and that's what will determine the making of the Dune sequel.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The thing is Dune, much like BR, has quite a specific cult following. It hasn't got mainstream appeal like, say, Star Wars or Star Trek. I think the producers/ studio, those financing the movie and the reputation Dennis has within the industry know that this DUNE adaption likely wont bring in hoards of people.

I predicted, and I think this is the case again, this will do similarly to Dennis BR sequel, which I enjoyed.
largely critically acclaimed yet the box office will be a tad underwhelming.
But this is THE big film coming out since covid, so maybe the box office will be surprising.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've never understand the idea critics should be listened to. I'm sure they're knowledgeable about film as they watch lots of movies but they're just expressing their opinions at the end of the day, which naturally diverge as there's no single criteria for what makes a good movie. Critics only do a good job when they bring attention to films that would otherwise get overlooked and don't have a humongous advertising campaign already telling us they exist.

SinNombre

I really really hope so. I despise the first movie but adore the book (singular, most of the follow ups are bordering on unreadable), so I am desperate for this to be good.
Everything after the first book is unreadable.

Most sci-fi and fantasy series have this problem.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Everything after the first book is unreadable.

Most sci-fi and fantasy series have this problem.
Dune Messiah was decent and Children of Dune was Ok, but starting with God Emperor is fell off a cliff and that's not even considering the money grabbing pig shit his son has released.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've never understand the idea critics should be listened to. I'm sure they're knowledgeable about film as they watch lots of movies but they're just expressing their opinions at the end of the day, which naturally diverge as there's no single criteria for what makes a good movie. Critics only do a good job when they bring attention to films that would otherwise get overlooked and don't have a humongous advertising campaign already telling us they exist.
You don’t want to hear opinions from people who watch a lot of movies before spending your money on one?

kps88

Not even slightly. If a film looks interesting in terms of the topic, director, actor, etc then I'll happily go watch it. Life is all about risks.
You also shouldn't judge a book by its cover. You could be missing out on some great stuff if you completely ignore all critics.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You also shouldn't judge a book by its cover. You could be missing out on some great stuff if you completely ignore all critics.
Also, critics can give you an idea of the movie that will help you figure out if you might like it. Sometimes critics completely pan a movie, but from their comments I can tell that it could be a good one for me - and vice versa. (Or rather for my wife, whose opinions are often diametrically opposed to what critics think.)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No. The Dune books he wrote are so, so bad.

Let's say you love The Sopranos, imagine they re-boot it with James Corden as Tony and it's written by Stephanie Meyer. That's how I feel about the prequels his son wrote.
Yep, just browsed the web and the DUNE fans generally dislike his work.
The consensus seems to be that Brian Herbert seems to be abit of a hack and just riding on the coattails of his fathers and DUNE's success.
It went from a nuanced series, and granted the later frank books could be convoluted, but jesus. His sons interpretations were such Michael Bay money grab. It was drivel built for income.
It went from abstract art to crayon drawings of optimus prime fighting the decepticons.

Last edited:

Drainy

Yep, just browsed the web and the DUNE fans generally dislike his work.
The consensus seems to be that Brian Herbert seems to be abit of a hack and just riding on the coattails of his fathers and DUNE's success.
Didn't he retcon the cause of the Butlerian Jihad to make it basically Terminator?

Drainy

Terminator meets transformers.

He named a robot leader "Omnius Prime". Shameless shit.
I guess the hinted at lore of 'the controllers of computers making people reliant on them then manipulating information to control people' backstory became too real :lol:

Sylar

I think general feeling amongst critics is better as opposed to reading one specific critic and reading it completely.

I've seen some critics who seem to just open a thesaurus and put any obscure word they can and it's always funny.

For me, having an average can be helpful for movies that aren't the big named ones For one like this I was planning to watch regardless so a critic opinion doesn't matter to me

Simbo

Can they feck off with reviews 2 months before its released please..

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm halfway through the book at the moment and that tweet about the story needing a "weird" director makes no sense. It's standard sci-fi fare (by today's standards), elevated by a truly great writer.

If the second half gets all trippy and weird I'll delete this post.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Frank Herbert's gonna need some cream for this burn.
:D
Don't get me wrong, I admire the world building. Absolutely fascinating. But I found the world and the characters too stoic, plus reading each characters thoughts became quite grating after a while.

Lets also just say , I can totally see why the studio opted for a Director like Dennis for this new adaptation.

Drainy

Lets be honest, even if by some miracle this is successful and gets a sequel there is no way they will stick to the plot of any books after the first one.

nimic

something nice
Scout
:D
Don't get me wrong, I admire the world building. Absolutely fascinating. But I found the world and the characters too stoic, plus reading each characters thoughts became quite grating after a while.

Lets also just say , I can totally see why the studio opted for a Director like Dennis for this new adaptation.
I just want Blade Runner 2049 in the desert and with sandworms.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Lets be honest, even if by some miracle this is successful and gets a sequel there is no way they will stick to the plot of any books after the first one.
As far as I know, the current film tells half the story of the first book and the sequel would finish that.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Kinda depressing to think that if this doesn't make enough bank we're only gonna get half a movie.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Kinda depressing to think that if this doesn't make enough bank we're only gonna get half a movie.
Them's the breaks.

Edit: Saying that, the trailers may have done a decent job of being somewhat deceptive for the general public ,who would otherwise not go near such a genre, due to its showing off of its fancy special effects and action shots/sequences.

They're going to be in for a surprise.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This will be the first movie I will go to the cinema to see since bladerunner.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This will be the first movie I will go to the cinema to see since bladerunner.
The original or the sequel ?
I saw BR2049 on its opening night. Small, intimate screening at Cineworld. A room filled by fans of the original. Dead quiet. Great experience.

But, regarding the last film I saw in the cinema, I think I'm in a similar boat. Can't remember watching anything since........oh, dear...I remember watching the last SW film.. oh god.