Dutch football announce pilot scheme where a woman will play with a man's team in the 10th tier of Dutch football

Le Red

And? Read my other posts in the thread and you’ll see why I used them as an example. People are generalising all women as one physical size. There will be some female players who are physically capable/stronger/quicker etc than some male players. Or there will be some that aren’t but can still compete because it’s good enough AND they have the other skills to compete. This is not about allowing all women to enter men’s football but allowing the opportunity for those who want to and can obviously compete.
Women physically superior than men at a competitive level? You are day dreaming.
When people say some players are too lightweight, they are comparing them to very strong men. The guys you mentioned are light years beyond women physically speaking.
The women can't even compete with teenagers, let alone men.
I'm not dissing on women, it's just the cold hard truth. This ain't Hollywood where a girl can kung fu the shit out of guys with double their sizes. At the end of the day football is a sport where raw strength is key and putting a teenage girl to play alongside adult men is throwing a dolphin with the sharks.

Skills

Snitch
The biggest problem for women is that the current top level sports (including football) were designed by men to be played by men.

They need to make the pitch smaller, ball smaller and also the goals smaller because the biological advantage men have is too big. Women's versions of the sport need to be their own versions, designed specifically for women.

Gymnastics is the only one that gets it right. Different routines for men and women, because they recognise both are different.

Le Red

Yeah you can see some of these poster never played sports at all and just sitting behind their computer all day spewing bollox. What a laughable notion comparing wonen to players like Silva. He might look weak compared to PL players, but sure as feck he will put these clown posters in their arse if somehow they played against him.
Not to mention David Silva is actually a very strong guy, just lacking in height.
Just shows you how bad people are at assessing the facts.
Anyone who wants to comment on this thread should Google female X male actual results. The teenage boys who themselves are too weak to play against men get cricket scores when they play the best women in the world.
But in this post truth world the facts don't matter, if it's equality that people wanted they would never dream of girls facing men in such a brute sport.
This is a crazy attempt to prove women can compete with men in absolutely everything, even in physical feats, which is a mind boggling reality bending exercise.

Le Red

The biggest problem for women is that the current top level sports (including football) were designed by men to be played by men.

They need to make the pitch smaller, ball smaller and also the goals smaller because the biological advantage men have is too big.
Are you saying women could compete with men in indoor football then?
Let me answer that for you: they can't.
Stop making shit up.

Skills

Snitch
Are you saying women could compete with men in indoor football then?
Let me answer that for you: they can't.
Stop making shit up.
Obviously not. I'm talking about women competing against other women.

Le Red

Obviously not. I'm talking about women competing against other women.
OK, sorry then. If your point was that the pitch could be more women friendly, I agree, just like the net is lower for them in volleyball.
Just look at how hard it is for the goalies to reach higher balls, female gks get a lot of bad rep but with smaller goals they would look a lot better I think.
Disagree with the smaller ball though.

Skills

Snitch
OK, sorry then. If your point was that the pitch could be more women friendly, I agree, just like the net is lower for them in volleyball.
Just look at how hard it is for the goalies to reach higher balls, female gks get a lot of bad rep but with smaller goals they would look a lot better I think.
The pitch, ball and the goal.

Pitch : women aren't as quick as men, so obviously the intensity is a lot less making a poorer spectacle. So make the pitch for womens game smaller so there's a smaller field of action.
Goal : as you mentioned, women goalkeepers aren't as tall/big as the men so they struggle.
Ball : women aren't as strong and their feet are smaller. So they obviously won't be able to naturally manipulate or strike the ball as easily as the men do it.

Funnily enough, I believe men and women's stamina is actually comparable. So the game's length doesn't need to be changed to account for it.

TsuWave

Men and women are generally pretty mismatched physically. That’s going to impact women’s ability to compete, and I’m assuming the risk of injury will be higher for them. I know we’re moving towards a more progressive world, but that doesn’t mean we should just ignore these factors. In fact, that’d be the opposite of progress.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If she wants to give it a try, good luck to her. I do however look forward to reading the news report when some lower league maniac steams in and empties her like a post stag-do suitcase to "prove a point" or something. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Women physically superior than men at a competitive level? You are day dreaming.
When people say some players are too lightweight, they are comparing them to very strong men. The guys you mentioned are light years beyond women physically speaking.
The women can't even compete with teenagers, let alone men.
I'm not dissing on women, it's just the cold hard truth. This ain't Hollywood where a girl can kung fu the shit out of guys with double their sizes. At the end of the day football is a sport where raw strength is key and putting a teenage girl to play alongside adult men is throwing a dolphin with the sharks.
What is competitive for you? Is it just the PL?

If we are looking at the footballing pyramid of England for example and the clubs which are registered and could eventually get to the PL, I'd argue that is a competitive level and I most definitely would argue that there will be a woman who is physically superior to a man at that level. Once again, I'm not saying it is ALL women or ALL men.

It's the truth if you want to generalise, yeah. If you're capable of broadening your mind to the fact that not all females or males are the same (Even when it is confined to the small percentage of footballers that make it) then you can see how it is possible for a woman to have the potential to compete in a mixed game.

NotThatSoph

Men and women are generally pretty mismatched physically. That’s going to impact women’s ability to compete, and I’m assuming the risk of injury will be higher for them. I know we’re moving towards a more progressive world, but that doesn’t mean we should just ignore these factors. In fact, that’d be the opposite of progress.
Who's ignoring anything? She's not signing with Ajax, she'll have 919 clubs above her in the league system.

Halftrack

What on earth is the point??? You don't need a pilot to tell you men and women can't play as a mixed team in senior football. Are they gonna someday pilot a woman running the 100m finals to see if it'll work? Grow the women's game. Let's celebrate both. And stop this extreme PC stuff.
It's a pointless exercise based entirely around todays political climate, if everyone is being honest with themselves.
Simply can't understand this. Would consider myself an advocate of women's sports but they desperately need to shed the inferiority complex/chip on shoulder/constant obsession over position relative to male football and focus on development of the game first. It is presently light years behind but improving and has a good following. Just focus on it and stop these sideshows.
That is until some guy who doesn't give a shit about all that snaps her leg in half or something, but apparently the progressive people don't give a shit about how much of a hazard this whole thing can be for her health and career.
Absolutely nothing good can come out of this.
Maybe, you know, read the piece? She's played with boys her whole life, and at 19 her friends are able to go into Category A, while she either has to switch to women's football or continue playing Category B. She preferred continuing to play with her mates, they and the club wanted her to be able to, so the sent in a request for a dispensation. The Dutch FA granted it, and also decided to use it as an opportunity to see how it works, so that if it does, the process can be more streamlined in the future. Not everything is PC bullshit gone mad or whatever combination of buzzwords you prefer.

These knee-jerk reactions are extremely telling of the people that post them.

Also not surprised that Mr. "Gay people do gay stuff for the shock value" would take issue with this.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe, you know, read the piece? She's played with boys her whole life, and at 19 her friends are able to go into Category A, while she either has to switch to women's football or continue playing Category B. She preferred continuing to play with her mates, they and the club wanted her to be able to, so the sent in a request for a dispensation. The Dutch FA granted it, and also decided to use it as an opportunity to see how it works, so that if it does, the process can be more streamlined in the future. Not everything is PC bullshit gone mad or whatever combination of buzzwords you prefer.

Also not surprised that Mr. "Gay people do gay stuff for the shock value" would take issue with this.
This exactly.

SER19

What exactly is telling about me, to you, a stranger you have never met and never will, off the back of a single post on a football forum. Can you really be that bloody arrogant and full of righteousness? I've explained already that my response was the the OP which very very much presented this as a Dutch football initiative to trial females in the male game. You can piss off with your amateur psychiatry from your keyboard and go fill your moral outrage boots on twitter instead.

Halftrack

What exactly is telling about me, to you, a stranger you have never met and never will, off the back of a single post on a football forum. Can you really be that bloody arrogant and full of righteousness? I've explained already that my response was the the OP which very very much presented this as a Dutch football initiative to trial females in the male game. You can piss off with your amateur psychiatry from your keyboard and go fill your moral outrage boots on twitter instead.
Don't get mad at me, you're the one who couldn't be bothered to click a fecking link before deciding this was the doing of entitled women.

SER19

Don't get mad at me, you're the one who couldn't be bothered to click a fecking link before deciding this was the doing of entitled women.
I read the post. The quoted piece the poster chose to include that very often constitutes the body of text being linked. Take your crusade to somebody else and private me next time you decide to make a judgement about what 'exactly' is so 'telling' about the 'type of person' I am.

Halftrack

I read the post. The quoted piece the poster chose to include that very often constitutes the body of text being linked. Take your crusade to somebody else and private me next time you decide to make a judgement about what 'exactly' is so 'telling' about the 'type of person' I am.
The quoted bit in the OP is entirely neutral in its short-hand presentation of the facts. Nothing in the quoted bit said anything about the reason, only that one woman was given dispensation, and your automatic assumption was that this because of entitled women and their demands.

Get as defensive as you like, but that assumption says something about you.

SER19

The quoted bit in the OP is entirely neutral in its short-hand presentation of the facts. Nothing in the quoted bit said anything about the reason, only that one woman was given dispensation, and your automatic assumption was that this because of entitled women and their demands.

Get as defensive as you like, but that assumption says something about you.
In the 2020/2021 season, the KNVB is starting a pilot in collaboration with VV Foarut to allow women in amateur football to participate in category A for men. Ellen Fokkema (19) gets a dispensation to play football in the first men's team of VV Foarut, which plays in the fourth division. Based on the results of the pilot, the KNVB will evaluate whether there is a good basis for allowing women and men to play mixed football in category A, and to permanently amend the regulations.'

Tell me what it says about me, to interpret this as a pilot to introduce mixed football. Not that I even owe you a degree of information to help inform your opinion, but tell me in the knowledge that I had 2 great years coaching women's football and have helped three women get interviews on football podcasts or a successful submission opportunity to a football site run by a friend. Tell me it without a fraction of knowledge about the women in my life, who raised me, who I'm married to, who my best friends are.

I said absolutely feck all about entitled women but very reasonably judged this to be an effort to test women's place in the men's game despite the women's game being a long way off. Based on the text I was replying to. Take your ax again people who have a problem with women or 'entitlement' where its relevant.

Take your personality judgements to somebody else because I'm not going to listen to it because you feel you want to go on a crusade against 'anti pc' folks. My reply was perfectly in context to what I've quoted here and while you're welcome to disagree you don't get to make a judgement about 'what exactly type person I am' or what anything 'says about' me to anybody but you, who decided to make the judgement on response to an innocuous reply to the quoted text.

NotThatSoph

That's interesting, you believe you've managed to tell quite a lot about @Halftrack, a stranger you have never met and never will. You've concluded that they're bloody arrogant, full of righteousness, and someone trying to their moral outrage boots.

All because of a post on a football forum.

SER19

That's interesting, you believe you've managed to tell quite a lot about @Halftrack, a stranger you have never met and never will. You've concluded that they're bloody arrogant, full of righteousness, and someone trying to their moral outrage boots.

All because of a post on a football forum.
I'm talking about his post, quite plainly, not 'exactly what type of person he is' and I've worded it as a question.

NotThatSoph

I'm talking about his post, quite plainly, not 'exactly what type of person he is' and I've worded it as a question.
Alright, so you don't think there's any reason to believe that those characterizations are true, you just asked them at random? What you said was of course about the person, not the post itself, because you don't address a post as "you".

Okey

In the 2020/2021 season, the KNVB is starting a pilot in collaboration with VV Foarut to allow women in amateur football to participate in category A for men. Ellen Fokkema (19) gets a dispensation to play football in the first men's team of VV Foarut, which plays in the fourth division. Based on the results of the pilot, the KNVB will evaluate whether there is a good basis for allowing women and men to play mixed football in category A, and to permanently amend the regulations.'

Tell me what it says about me, to interpret this as a pilot to introduce mixed football. Not that I even owe you a degree of information to help inform your opinion, but tell me in the knowledge that I had 2 great years coaching women's football and have helped three women get interviews on football podcasts or a successful submission opportunity to a football site run by a friend. Tell me it without a fraction of knowledge about the women in my life, who raised me, who I'm married to, who my best friends are.

I said absolutely feck all about entitled women but very reasonably judged this to be an effort to test women's place in the men's game despite the women's game being a long way off. Based on the text I was replying to. Take your ax again people who have a problem with women or 'entitlement' where its relevant.

Take your personality judgements to somebody else because I'm not going to listen to it because you feel you want to go on a crusade against 'anti pc' folks. My reply was perfectly in context to what I've quoted here and while you're welcome to disagree you don't get to make a judgement about 'what exactly type person I am' or what anything 'says about' me to anybody but you, who decided to make the judgement on response to an innocuous reply to the quoted text.
This is what I read too. So the story is actually different, thankfully, but it's not far out to respond like I (and others) did. And No @Halftrack, it tells nothing about me. I know me enough to know it doesn't. Fighting assumptions with assumptions would be rather ironic wouldn't it? I don't ever get personal anyway, so I'll let it go.

SER19

Alright, so you don't think there's any reason to believe that those characterizations are true, you just asked them at random? What you said was of course about the person, not the post itself, because you don't address a post as "you".
I asked if he is really so arrogant and self righteous because he determined himself capable of saying 'exactly what type of person' I am, because he read one reply he didn't like, out of context. In my opinion completely fair.

His post was going on about not 'everything' being pc gone mad and as I felt this has absolutely nothing to do with me or what I posted, and is absolutely on the realms of morality and outrage culture conversations, suggested a medium he might be better served to have that conversation

Or have it here, but he can leave me out of it and either not determine exactly who I am or tell me what exactly it is I am. I still don't know and wonder what it is in context of my previous 2 posts.

NotThatSoph

I asked if he is really so arrogant and self righteous because he determined himself capable of saying 'exactly what type of person' I am, because he read one reply he didn't like, out of context. In my opinion completely fair.

His post was going on about not 'everything' being pc gone mad and as I felt this has absolutely nothing to do with me or what I posted, and is absolutely on the realms of morality and outrage culture conversations, suggested a medium he might be better served to have that conversation

Or have it here, but he can leave me out of it and either not determine exactly who I am or tell me what exactly it is I am. I still don't know and wonder what it is in context of my previous 2 posts.
You're obviously doing exactly the same thing. You just think that you're right and have good reasons, while you believe they're wrong and doesn't have good reasons. You don't have a problem with deducing what kind of person someone is based on posts on a football forum, you have a problem with someone doing it to you in a negative and in your opinion baseless way.

I just found it funny that you're acting so indignant and worked up over not only the specific characterization about you, but that someone dared say anything about you as a person at all, while doing the same thing the sentence after. It's not serious, no point getting into a discussion about it, it's just funny.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree that we don't have to infer entire attitude from small comments - even if there are a few other posts in this thread that seem quite telling about the relevant posters. But in response to this bit:

My reply was perfectly in context to what I've quoted here
The quote is this:

In the 2020/2021 season, the KNVB is starting a pilot in collaboration with VV Foarut to allow women in amateur football to participate in category A for men. Ellen Fokkema (19) gets a dispensation to play football in the first men's team of VV Foarut, which plays in the fourth division. Based on the results of the pilot, the KNVB will evaluate whether there is a good basis for allowing women and men to play mixed football in category A, and to permanently amend the regulations.
And this was your response:

Simply can't understand this. Would consider myself an advocate of women's sports but they desperately need to shed the inferiority complex/chip on shoulder/constant obsession over position relative to male football and focus on development of the game first. It is presently light years behind but improving and has a good following. Just focus on it and stop these sideshows.
You can't say that your comment interprets the quote at face-value. There is nothing in the quote that suggests an inferiority complex or women's position relative to men. The quote also indicates that we are talking a low amateur level of football here, so 'good following' is completely irrelevant. Seems to me you are reading a lot into the quote, linking it to the pro level and discussions about equal pay etc. That's fine, it happens, but not sure why you wouldn't just admit to that. (I also agree with @NotThatSoph in that sense.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interestingly, btw, I looked up this 'Category A' bit, and that includes (among other things) women's football on all adult levels (link). So would this mixed football thing mean that men can play in the women's top division? I haven't seen anything about that.

EDIT: Ah, no, I should have first read the link from the top post myself. :lol: The change only relates to women playing in Category A men's football. (Which starts at the third tier, right below the two pro tiers - so women still could not play in a men's pro team.)

Lentwood

It just seems pointless to me. What’s the point in the best female players in the world grinding away in semi-professional men’s football when they could focus on marketing and growing the womens game?

SER19

I agree that we don't have to infer entire attitude from small comments - even if there are a few other posts in this thread that seem quite telling about the relevant posters. But in response to this bit:

The quote is this:

And this was your response:

You can't say that your comment interprets the quote at face-value. There is nothing in the quote that suggests an inferiority complex or women's position relative to men. The quote also indicates that we are talking a low amateur level of football here, so 'good following' is completely irrelevant. Seems to me you are reading a lot into the quote, linking it to the pro level and discussions about equal pay etc. That's fine, it happens, but not sure why you wouldn't just admit to that.
Yes it does. It blatantly presents it as a trial and is absolutely reasonable to interpret it as experimenting with women in the men's game,*based on the text in OP. Because you don't like my interpretation or think it's not relevant is fine, but it doesn't mean you get to tell me 'exactly what type of person' I am.

SER19

You're obviously doing exactly the same thing. You just think that you're right and have good reasons, while you believe they're wrong and doesn't have good reasons. You don't have a problem with deducing what kind of person someone is based on posts on a football forum, you have a problem with someone doing it to you in a negative and in your opinion baseless way.

I just found it funny that you're acting so indignant and worked up over not only the specific characterization about you, but that someone dared say anything about you as a person at all, while doing the same thing the sentence after. It's not serious, no point getting into a discussion about it, it's just funny.
I've clearly explained my post to you. I've asked him if he is those things, in light of his post very strongly suggesting he is. And I've explained the term moral outrage too. I on the other hand still haven't been told exactly what type of person I am, or what my response in the context I clearly explained, says about me, as a person. What is it? What am I? Why doesn't he come out and say it.

NotThatSoph

It just seems pointless to me. What’s the point in the best female players in the world grinding away in semi-professional men’s football when they could focus on marketing and growing the womens game?
Because someone from a town with 2000 people don't even have a women's team and she isn't good enough to market and grow women's football anyway.

The point of this isn't to make the best women players in the world play in semi-professional men's football teams, why would they want to?

SER19

Interestingly, btw, I looked up this 'Category A' bit, and that includes (among other things) women's football on all adult levels (link). So would this mixed football thing mean that men can play in the women's top division? I haven't seen anything about that.

EDIT: Ah, no, I should have first read the link from the top post myself. :lol: The change only relates to women playing in Category A men's football. (Which starts at the third tier, right below the two pro tiers - so women still could not play in a men's pro team.)
Yeah. Almost as if in light of the first post one could reasonably entertain the idea that it's a trial for women to play the men's game. Supposedly reading it this way and responding this way is suggestive of some sort of personality flaw.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes it does. It blatantly presents it as a trial and is absolutely reasonable to interpret it as experimenting with women in the men's game,*based on the text in OP. Because you don't like my interpretation or think it's not relevant is fine, but it doesn't mean you get to tell me 'exactly what type of person' I am.
I didn't, thank you.

Also, it blatantly presents it as a trial at the amateur levels, and specifically mentions it is about a case near the bottom of the amateur levels. That is about as far from inferiority complexes and building up a following as you can get, which is the only thing you focused on in your post. If you do think that stuff is relevant here, then I would love to hear why, cause it really isn't obvious to me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah. Almost as if in light of the first post one could reasonably entertain the idea that it's a trial for women to play the men's game. Supposedly reading it this way and responding this way is suggestive of some sort of personality flaw.
Uhm, I actually did a bit of research, and then wondered if the inverse also applies (men in women's teams) - then did a bit more research and corrected myself (in the same post). How is that anything like your initial post?

SER19

I didn't, thank you.

Also, it blatantly presents it as a trial at the amateur levels, and specifically mentions it is about a case near the bottom of the amateur levels. That is about as far from inferiority complexes and building up a following as you can get, which is the only thing you focused on in your post. If you do think that stuff is relevant here, then I would love to hear why, cause it really isn't obvious to me.

This is what I replied to. Simple as that. A trial that will determine if rules should be changed permanently for women to play the men's game. Excuse me for thinking this initiative led by a national association might allow me to discuss broader feelings which in recent months have been informed by US women's debate, Megan rapinoe, and other podcast and BBC correspondent comments which in my opinion often suggest a preoccupation with the men's game. The OP presented it as a drive to trial it, and didn't elaborate on the girls story. I even prefaced this by saying I'm an advocate for the women's game, followed up by saying I've coached the women's game. In any case, you're welcome to disagree with me but my continued involvement here was to try clarify exactly that type of person I am and what my post says exactly about me.

Amerifan

I’m fine with this. Let a woman play for us if she is good enough. I want to see the best athletes playing at every level.

Halftrack

inferiority complex/chip on shoulder/constant obsession over position relative to male football
"Chip on shoulder" is, among other things, synonymous with entitlement. The other two accusations aren't particularly kind either.

And no, I haven't said anything about the exact type of person you are. I said that making the assumption that this was because of entitled women says something about you. In you case, that you have a particularly uncharitable view of women's football and/or its players. And no, you having coached women wouldn't make that impossible, given that you have coached women and still managed to describe them as a group having an "inferiority complex/chip on shoulder/constant obsession over position relative to male football."

It's also kind of precious that you're having a go at me making unkind assumptions about you, when I only addressed it because you made an unkind assumption with regards to the reason behind this.